I am about to start my offline IM (SEO, FB Marketing, Webistes) business for my local area and I wanted to test my skills so on saturday I went to talk to a cousine who is a Immigration Lawyer and runs a firm(He also has good idea about Marketing on the Internet).
I imagined a scenario of him being my client and started the talk. I told him what I do and asked if he would be interested in my services for his firm.
He told me that in his area, there are about 12 Law firms and it is very competitive.
THEN he asked me a questions.
- What I will do for him?
- How I would get more customers
- He asked me how long it would take to see the results?
- He asked how much it would cost?
Then he told me that due to the changes in immigration policies the prospects are looking for other avenues and moving to different countries. He said that those still immigrating are being taken by firms that are bigger and popular than his and have bigger marketing spend. He also said that it was getting even more difficult in the coming months and asked me if I can do anything about it fast?.
I know I had to give him an idea which would be good enough to take the disscussion further and get me the deal, But I could not come up with anything specific.
I just went on and told him that I will rank his website better and do facebook marketing where people are more targeted. I also told him that I will market his business online in forums where people are looking for help in his niche.
Dont know if it is inexperience or just lack of skill, but I think I could not come up with a good idea. I feel like an idiot.
I am sorry for taking the ranting out here but I have a few questions on this.
- Firstly, I am going at it correctly?
- How do I start the conversation with a new client?
- What questions should I be asking them about their business?
- What should I ask them about their Competition?
- What should be my thought process when meeting them for the first time? (i.e: give them advice intially or just pitch them my sale etc)
- What advice can I give them in general so that they like it and call me back? (either for more questions or to talk about the services)
- When they ask for a solution to a problem, How do I answer it? How do I approach such spontaneous questions (My cousin asked - If I can do anything about it fast?)
Please dont mind the lengthy post. I appreciate you all taking the time to even read it.
Thanks in advance