Ideas for QR Codes for Auto Dealers

by bullseyemarketing 37 replies
I am really excited about QR coding and marketing it to my offline clients. I am putting together a couple different packages to market to the auto dealers here in town. I would love some opinions on what a good price point would be to set up a dealer with say an inventory of 400-500 units. I am going to be generating a custom windshield sticker with their logo and the QR Code linked to a web page with the vehicles specs and pictures. I am thinking $5-$7 per car with a retainer upfront to cover the set up and coding of the initial inventory. Then I will update any new inventory as needed , probably weekly as they move a lot of cars. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!

James
#offline marketing #auto #codes #dealers #ideas
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author SuccessInPrint
    Originally Posted by bullseyemarketing View Post

    I am really excited about QR coding and marketing it to my offline clients. I am putting together a couple different packages to market to the auto dealers here in town. I would love some opinions on what a good price point would be to set up a dealer with say an inventory of 400-500 units. I am going to be generating a custom windshield sticker with their logo and the QR Code linked to a web page with the vehicles specs and pictures. I am thinking $5-$7 per car with a retainer upfront to cover the set up and coding of the initial inventory. Then I will update any new inventory as needed , probably weekly as they move a lot of cars. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!

    James
    Hello James,
    I think you are on the right track with what you are doing, however I think your price point is about right when you consider the anticipated volume. One question I have is whether you plan for these to be used outdoors or only inside showroom or inside the vehicle. I am currently producing QR codes for realtors. I have them coming in 2-3 times a week via emailed URL link.

    SuccessInPrint
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3481044].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SuccessInPrint
    Originally Posted by bullseyemarketing View Post

    I am really excited about QR coding and marketing it to my offline clients. I am putting together a couple different packages to market to the auto dealers here in town. I would love some opinions on what a good price point would be to set up a dealer with say an inventory of 400-500 units. I am going to be generating a custom windshield sticker with their logo and the QR Code linked to a web page with the vehicles specs and pictures. I am thinking $5-$7 per car with a retainer upfront to cover the set up and coding of the initial inventory. Then I will update any new inventory as needed , probably weekly as they move a lot of cars. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!

    James
    One follow up to my post. I forgot to add that I am also in process of creating a program for use with dealers. I would love to share ideas; my ideas go beyond what you have mentioned.

    SuccessInPrint
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3481059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Quentin
    I have a video on my site re car dealers and QR Codes that might help a little.

    Video Examples | QR Codes Australia

    Quentin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3481181].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BerkleyStreet
      - You could make the code link to the vehicles CarFax. That is something that I would have liked to have access to when I was buying.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3481305].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author johnhoefer
        Originally Posted by BerkleyStreet View Post

        - You could make the code link to the vehicles CarFax. That is something that I would have liked to have access to when I was buying.
        I think the Carfax idea is great
        I will say, that I don't understand QR codes very much at all. So take that into account when I ask my question. If your QR code takes them to a site with the vehicle Specs and pictures...aren't they standing right in front of the car when they get the QR code? Are the specs right on the window in front of them and the car right in front of them instead of pictures? Is this so they can refer back to it later?

        Like I said, I am just learning about QR codes, so if there is something I am missing, please let me know.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3482870].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rugman
          Originally Posted by johnhoefer View Post

          I think the Carfax idea is great
          I will say, that I don't understand QR codes very much at all. So take that into account when I ask my question. If your QR code takes them to a site with the vehicle Specs and pictures...aren't they standing right in front of the car when they get the QR code? Are the specs right on the window in front of them and the car right in front of them instead of pictures? Is this so they can refer back to it later?

          Like I said, I am just learning about QR codes, so if there is something I am missing, please let me know.
          I read someplace a long time ago that a study was done at a dealership that found that (using cameras) lots of people stopped at car dealerships after hours to look at cars. Why? People in general don't like car salesmen. So a QR code in the window would be a great idea to capture those "after hours lookers". Have the code take them to a nice page with facts about the car and a call to action if interested button.
          Maybe I just invented the first no salesman car dealership! Add a paypal button and an automatic key dispenser onsite!
          Now that's a no pressure sales approach!
          Signature

          Growing older but not up!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3923580].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author QRickit
          If potential buyers are standing in front of the car they don`t really have to scan the QR Code to get the info unless they want to watch a video of it in action or other info that is not right there (or if there is no salesperson around such as when the dealership is busy or closed but the car can still be seen). Maybe the dealer could offer an incentive if someone scans the QR Code.

          Some auto dealers are printing QR Codes in their weekly newspaper ads and flyers beside each car listed. That is probably more useful than showing the QR Code on the car.

          You can learn more about QR Codes at QRickit.com. There are also a free widget and an API so you can generate and display QR Codes on your own website or blog.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3964411].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ballanrk
    I came across this thread and thought I would share a little knowledge about the car industry form a firsthand perspective. I must say QR codes and Automotive dealerships should go together like PB and Jelly. I'm trying to figure out a plan.

    My background:

    I owned and operated a VERY small automotive internet marketing service in Florida up until October 2010.

    What we did:

    I sold proprietary software that is used to manage automotive inventory within the dealerships along with the grunt work on the service end.

    Typical day:

    We go to car lots and take photos of inventory (typically 2 times a week) per dealer. We used handheld WiFi devices that we imputed the car details and printed those window stickers you see on cars. The printers, handhelds and cameras are our property. After we got the information in the system we took about 20 or so photos per car. At the end of the day you go back to the office and upload all the information. Sounds good but here's the catch. Dealers want to nickle and dime you because their not to technology savvy and they all have taken big hits over the past 2-3 years.

    Why the details:

    For all that my company and others like mine provided the going rate was about $8/car for high volume dealerships. A good day you can do 20-25 cars but then the economy took the turn and dealers began to go out of business. Some thought the newspaper was still good marketing.
    Others took this type of service and began doing it in house. The inventory software needed is abundant and if not now they will be providing QR codes free of charge so if you move on this I would move now.

    I'm to new of a member to post links but checkout automotive digital marketing website.

    A forum search and you can find what dealers are saying about QR codes.
    Signature
    POP the Champagne cork I can PM now!

    Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it......


    -Henry David Thoreau
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3485078].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DazedandConfused
      Originally Posted by ballanrk View Post

      I came across this thread and thought I would share a little knowledge about the car industry form a firsthand perspective. I must say QR codes and Automotive dealerships should go together like PB and Jelly. I'm trying to figure out a plan.

      My background:

      I owned and operated a VERY small automotive internet marketing service in Florida up until October 2010.

      What we did:

      I sold proprietary software that is used to manage automotive inventory within the dealerships along with the grunt work on the service end.

      Typical day:

      We go to car lots and take photos of inventory (typically 2 times a week) per dealer. We used handheld WiFi devices that we imputed the car details and printed those window stickers you see on cars. The printers, handhelds and cameras are our property. After we got the information in the system we took about 20 or so photos per car. At the end of the day you go back to the office and upload all the information. Sounds good but here's the catch. Dealers want to nickle and dime you because their not to technology savvy and they all have taken big hits over the past 2-3 years.

      Why the details:

      For all that my company and others like mine provided the going rate was about $8/car for high volume dealerships. A good day you can do 20-25 cars but then the economy took the turn and dealers began to go out of business. Some thought the newspaper was still good marketing.
      Others took this type of service and began doing it in house. The inventory software needed is abundant and if not now they will be providing QR codes free of charge so if you move on this I would move now.

      I'm to new of a member to post links but checkout automotive digital marketing website.

      A forum search and you can find what dealers are saying about QR codes.
      It sounds like you were using RFID tags?
      That integrated with QR would be a terrific arsenal for dealerships - almost full inventory accountability all way around

      D&C
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4368248].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thedealmaker
        James,

        I think you're heading in the right direction with your qr codes idea.

        You might also consider showing the dealership how having your qr codes will give them an advantage over their competition.

        Use contrast to help you do that.

        I like to call it the "filling the gap formula."

        Here are the steps.

        1. Introduce a problem they may have

        2. introduce the "other side"

        3. Widen the gap

        4. Bridge the gap

        Find out what the particular dealerships major desires are and tie your qr codes idea to that.

        Your product is what will help them bridge the gap.
        Signature

        **Learn how to profit from mobile marketing and web 3.0 marketing in under 2 hours
        Click Here Now http://sixfiguresuccesssecrets.com/h...under-2-hours/

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4368883].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RickAllen
          I've been doing a lot of research on the automotive industry and the QR code aspect for their marketing. This is all very useful information, especially those that have first hand dealership experience. Question about the CarFax idea. I know what CarFax is, have had a couple reports run for vehicles I have been interested in myself, other then that I know little about them. Isn;t this a membership program, in that you have to have a pass code to access the information and get the reports (similar to credit agencies) and if so, how would you go about allowing anyone scanning the code to download the CarFax information?
          Signature

          "I can get you more sales without spending a dime more on advertising!" http://ThePRexpert.com Free video course, whitepapers and more.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4392691].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author zenyatta
            Originally Posted by RickAllen View Post

            I've been doing a lot of research on the automotive industry and the QR code aspect for their marketing. This is all very useful information, especially those that have first hand dealership experience. Question about the CarFax idea. I know what CarFax is, have had a couple reports run for vehicles I have been interested in myself, other then that I know little about them. Isn;t this a membership program, in that you have to have a pass code to access the information and get the reports (similar to credit agencies) and if so, how would you go about allowing anyone scanning the code to download the CarFax information?
            With sites like Carfax and Autocheck the dealer is paying for the membership fee and they are then allowed to show the report to prospective buyers. As long as Carfax makes their money they are happy. So attaching a QR code to that report would be very useful information.

            Lots of people spend weeks or even months looking for a car so if they scan the QR code for info I would include an incentive to join a VIP Auto Buyers Text Club with discounts and further info. Then the auto dealer or their salespeople could effectively, immediately, and affordably market those clients via SMS text in the weeks to come prior to their car purchase.
            Signature



            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4394537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author searchlight
    Hello anyone still working with QR Codes? I am trying to put together a web page with an encoder and having absolutely no luck figuring out how. Any help would be appreciated.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3881615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TrumpiaTim
    The carfax idea is great and some of Trumpia Mobile Marketing clients are already doing that exactly and seeing a lot of success with their campaign.
    Signature

    www.Trumpia.com

    Trumpia: The Most Completed SMS Text Messaging Software & API Solution.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3889055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author djriel
    Hey guys ... We have a platform that generates the codes and provides the landing pages for optin's or sales - lots of backend stuff for client management, mailing etc...

    it's a full solution that you can resell

    check out Mobile Marketing & QR code Platform | Scan2

    here are a sample automotive one

    QR Code & Mobile Marketing Platform - Fiat | Listing
    (meant to be viewed on a mobile of course)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3904270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AutoExec
    Hey bullseye marketing! Good topic and good feedback given. There is one company that we are using that has come out with an incredible tool. I was using the typical way of printing QR Barcodes, but they have a 100% complete QR Barcode inventory solution for auto dealers. I did connect them with my brother-in-law, who is now helping sell and distribute the product in his area. Based on everything I have seen, I have yet to see a company match what they are doing. It is freeking awesome...we have had so many customers say how much they love it. Anyway, not wanting you to get discouraged, but perhaps you can get with them and partner up! Maybe be a distributor like my brother-in-law?

    Their website is: dealeruplink(dot)com and reference Cory. He is my Regional Manager I deal with.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3945648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaxReferrals
    You might want to also try experimenting with PSD overlays on the QR code. I've seen some people add an icon, even change the color of the code, to make it more unique.

    QR Codes can be fickle, but how about a car icon, or better yet, even the dealer logo (thumbnail) layer on top of the actual code? Pretty unique, and no one is doing it.

    Try it, scan it, see if you find a nice creative balance to make your code(s) stand out visually!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3946458].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author noangel
    SuccessinPrint could you please check your PM

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3951394].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Saranya2011
    When i was seeing this information i got more excited.. Very useful for auto dealers.. Thanks for sharing this tips..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3954107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mclpro
    You should check out this option as well with Daqri and mobile clipboards- I'll send you a beta invite if you like, just let me know- dan@mcloughlin.ca

    Optimize Your QR Code Differently With Daqri ยป McLoughlin | Promotional Marketing Done Right.
    Signature

    Dan Verhaeghe
    Marketing Specialist
    McLoughlin Promotions
    http://www.mcloughlin.ca/insights
    http://www.twitter.com/mclpro

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3954560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author james96
    Just a quick advice. If you want to use QR Code as a marketing tool don't forget to include an incentive like discount. Mobile users need something of value to act fast.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3973537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author slipix
    Hi,
    I hope I will not be banned for promote service
    But service you are talking about is already made . It helps to create any pages with descriptions of car online with ready to go templates or you can upload yours own ( if you are dealer for example and have designed webtemplates already ). It attaches for every page QR image you can print and place to a car, allows to edit, delete etc etc.

    it is there - cars-qr.com

    I can grant you premium access to use your own template in private manner, just I need some feed back how to make it better, faster, more useful.

    Write me a message in PM if you want,

    DA

    PS I can't post URLs according forum rules, if somebody can help me, I can give a link
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4085175].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author anetweb
      I work for a auto dealership here in Missouri and we just started to use qr code window stickers. It has helped me in my sales cause I have instant access to car info before I even grab the keys. So no scanning my inventory print-out page, searching for stock numbers to mileage and pricing. The guys we used are specifically dedicated to car dealers. We have over 100 dealerships in our group and I know all of the ones in our area are using it.

      I believe this can be expanded to capture much more that what people are doing now.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170573].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bearsmom42
        Originally Posted by anetweb View Post

        I work for a auto dealership here in Missouri and we just started to use qr code window stickers. It has helped me in my sales cause I have instant access to car info before I even grab the keys. So no scanning my inventory print-out page, searching for stock numbers to mileage and pricing. The guys we used are specifically dedicated to car dealers. We have over 100 dealerships in our group and I know all of the ones in our area are using it.

        I believe this can be expanded to capture much more that what people are doing now.
        As a person working at a dealership, what else do you think customers and/or employees would like to see a qr code connected to? Maybe a webpage with not only the car information but a link to the car fax and a link to call or email a salesperson?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4365048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sean Earley
    Now i'm not in the car business, but personally, if it were me, I would go for the lead.

    It seems to me that since you mentioned that the target user is an "after hours" browser on the lot, it would be much more worth your while to use QR codes as a quick way to get the user to some kind of a sign up page to catch their contact info with the benefit to them being maybe an auto response with the car info sent to them via email.

    That way they get the info they want, and you get the lead before they walk across the street to the next lot, "after hours". Just sending them to a website with more car info seems unnecessary, as some one else mentioned, because they can already read the sticker info in the car window.

    Just my two cents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4392831].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iInvent
      Originally Posted by Sean Earley View Post

      Now i'm not in the car business, but personally, if it were me, I would go for the lead.

      It seems to me that since you mentioned that the target user is an "after hours" browser on the lot, it would be much more worth your while to use QR codes as a quick way to get the user to some kind of a sign up page to catch their contact info with the benefit to them being maybe an auto response with the car info sent to them via email.

      That way they get the info they want, and you get the lead before they walk across the street to the next lot, "after hours". Just sending them to a website with more car info seems unnecessary, as some one else mentioned, because they can already read the sticker info in the car window.

      Just my two cents.
      Love it!!! So many great ideas, so little time
      Signature

      Thanks for reading!

      Chantal
      "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5910269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derek Amores
    Can anyone refer a How to Buy a Used Car PLR report? Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4840657].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RickAllen
      Originally Posted by Derek Amores View Post

      Can anyone refer a How to Buy a Used Car PLR report? Thanks
      Just did a Google search and several leads came-up. Good luck on your project. This is what I used: "Buy a Used Car PLR report"
      Signature

      "I can get you more sales without spending a dime more on advertising!" http://ThePRexpert.com Free video course, whitepapers and more.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4840676].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Derek Amores
        Originally Posted by RickAllen View Post

        Just did a Google search and several leads came-up. Good luck on your project. This is what I used: "Buy a Used Car PLR report"
        Thanks, I guess they are all the same aren't they?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4841112].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author millernetguy
    In the process of developing a complete trun-key QR solutions for the Automotive industry. Inventory is only a part of the equation, and we have this working quite well. Anyone want to re-sell the final product?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845205].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thegooddealguy
      millernetguy,

      I would be interested in seeing what you have to offer. Sorry cannot send a pm.

      Thanks,

      Jim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4845754].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RickAllen
      Originally Posted by millernetguy View Post

      In the process of developing a complete trun-key QR solutions for the Automotive industry. Inventory is only a part of the equation, and we have this working quite well. Anyone want to re-sell the final product?
      Always looking.
      Signature

      "I can get you more sales without spending a dime more on advertising!" http://ThePRexpert.com Free video course, whitepapers and more.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4846944].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Derek Amores
      Originally Posted by millernetguy View Post

      In the process of developing a complete trun-key QR solutions for the Automotive industry. Inventory is only a part of the equation, and we have this working quite well. Anyone want to re-sell the final product?
      I'm listening. What else can you tell me?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4848027].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PhilippeLabrie
        I got an idea...

        How about putting a QR code on the car so that during off hours people can scan it and they end up on a specific website that has the video of the top salesperson of that dealership pitching the car.

        At the end of the pitch there could be some incitative to take an appointment or an interface to ask questions on.

        That way people can get a "human" touch on it even when there's no one to serve them.

        If it generates extra leads for the dealership, it's worth it.

        OR you could have a professional sales person online pitch new cars for you, which you could re-sell to the dealers.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4854145].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RickAllen
          Originally Posted by PhilippeLabrie View Post

          I got an idea...

          How about putting a QR code on the car so that during off hours people can scan it and they end up on a specific website that has the video of the top salesperson of that dealership pitching the car.

          At the end of the pitch there could be some incitative to take an appointment or an interface to ask questions on.

          That way people can get a "human" touch on it even when there's no one to serve them.

          If it generates extra leads for the dealership, it's worth it.

          OR you could have a professional sales person online pitch new cars for you, which you could re-sell to the dealers.
          Nice idea. I'm a bit of a ham and would have no problem doing the videos myself. You could offer a 50 buck or so discount for coming in. Great for used car lots.
          Signature

          "I can get you more sales without spending a dime more on advertising!" http://ThePRexpert.com Free video course, whitepapers and more.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4854749].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author UsmanShahid
          Sounds like the way to go

          Originally Posted by PhilippeLabrie View Post

          I got an idea...

          How about putting a QR code on the car so that during off hours people can scan it and they end up on a specific website that has the video of the top salesperson of that dealership pitching the car.

          At the end of the pitch there could be some incitative to take an appointment or an interface to ask questions on.

          That way people can get a "human" touch on it even when there's no one to serve them.

          If it generates extra leads for the dealership, it's worth it.

          OR you could have a professional sales person online pitch new cars for you, which you could re-sell to the dealers.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5910730].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics