If you can't build a list piggy back on some one else's list and this is what I do.
For example the last month I contacted a printer and took him out to lunch. He has a lot of customers. My Treat.
I showed him QR Codes and mobile sites.
Now we are doing these things together.
1. We did a mail out to all his customers about QR Codes and mobile sites.
2. We held a Friday afternoon cocktails where we did a short presentation on QR Codes and Mobile Websites. We will do this again.
3 We did a joint add in the local paper.
This accomplished a few things.
1. He is now funneling me a lot of work.
2. He has got a lot of new jobs using QR Codes
3. We have raised awareness re mobile sites and QR Codes
You see you can go after the ones and twos however if you think more outside the box you can get hundreds and these people will then refer others if you ask them.
Second strategy is with other groups like social clubs etc.
Same sort of thing but they cannot profit off QR Codes so I offer a free mobile site and seminar for them.
Another strategy is that I send out letters to networking groups of which there are lots around. So like BMI, Rotary etc and send a nice presentation about what I do and offer to do free talks.
So this is how I get a lot of my work.
Hope this gets your mental juices going to help you target lots of clients rather than going after individual clients.