Google Places Images

by philboy uk 10 replies
I would be interested to know what type of image in the google place listings attract the most clicks ? ( the actual image that is displayed in serps ). I find that darker images stand out more from the white background.

I am now making the image look like a thumbnail for a video.
#offline marketing #google #images #places
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author rbrShorty
    There are no researches and case studies on that topic unfortunately, but I've written an article on it:

    The Importance of Images for Your Google Places Page « Google Places Optimization and Local SEO

    I'd say that images that are unorthodox would make the listing stand out. Logos are definitely the worst choice. Also it depends on the type of business. Colors matter as well.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3971793].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cchipster
      Originally Posted by rbrShorty View Post

      There are no researches and case studies on that topic unfortunately, but I've written an article on it:

      The Importance of Images for Your Google Places Page « Google Places Optimization and Local SEO

      I'd say that images that are unorthodox would make the listing stand out. Logos are definitely the worst choice. Also it depends on the type of business. Colors matter as well.

      Do you mind if I ask what makes you SO sure of your ideas and implementations with GP? You seem very sure in all of your posts...and thats a tough thing to do when we are talking Google? Do you work for them? :rolleyes:
      Signature
      No signature, I'm sure you will be ok.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3972942].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rbrShorty
        Originally Posted by cchipster View Post

        Do you mind if I ask what makes you SO sure of your ideas and implementations with GP? You seem very sure in all of your posts...and thats a tough thing to do when we are talking Google? Do you work for them? :rolleyes:
        These are all my personal opinions based on observations. As I mentioned there is no specific research or case study published up to now, so it is really hard to be 100% sure. I am simply using common sense and observation experience. I know about a famous local search specialist, who also visits this forum frequently, who is preparing a big research paper on that matter, so I'd also be interested to see some concrete data. I am just not sure why you act offensively in your latest comments.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3973081].message }}
        • Yes, I've been working on a big blog post about this for months and have been gathering data. There is some out there.

          But the most simple and high impact tip I can give you is to PRETEND you are a customer for the service then look through a bunch of SERPS to see what would grab YOUR attention if you were looking for a new lawyer, Dentist, mover, plumber or whatever. If you CAN'T get your head into the mindset of pretending to be a prospective customer or can't relate to the product then ask your mom or your best friend to do it.

          Based on the specific industry, you just need to think "what would be some of the most important benefits to me if I were looking for this service." In some industries it's FAST service, so what image would convey that? In some industries it's quality, others it's beauty, yet others it's FUN.

          Just think of it like a mini ad - what would the best image be?

          I'll have lots of examples and go into some psychology of selecting the right image if I ever get time to finish this and get it published.
          Signature

          Linda Buquet :: Google+ Local Specialist and Google Top Contributor
          ADVANCED Google+ Local Training :: Also offering White Label Local SEO
          Latest Google Local News, Tips & Tricks

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3973152].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bruce NewMedia
            Originally Posted by Catalyst eMarketing View Post


            ....But the most simple and high impact tip I can give you is to PRETEND you are a customer for the service then look through a bunch of SERPS to see what would grab YOUR attention if you were looking for a new lawyer, Dentist, mover, plumber or whatever. If you CAN'T get your head into the mindset of pretending to be a prospective customer or can't relate to the product then ask your mom or your best friend to do it.....
            All I can say is that is excellent advice, not just for the GPlaces listings but for every advertising message you prepare for a client.
            _____
            Bruce
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3973274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author philboy uk
    Images also are an opportunity to display coupons, special offers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3972009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rising_sun
    Banned
    well I think it will be ok and you will have good results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3972091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author localbusinessguy
    I have used QR codes as the image and found good click through rates.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3973247].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TJ Rose
      Originally Posted by localbusinessguy View Post

      I have used QR codes as the image and found good click through rates.
      Nice idea...what site do you send them to when they scan the QR?
      Signature
      FREE "21 Step Report To Position Yourself As An Expert to Offline Clients"
      -------->>>>http://goo.gl/gojkt
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3978611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kfira
    I always use images from the local machine and optimize the file name using the main keywords ièm pushing.

    goodluck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3978639].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics