Wow, the dollar store actually used a smart marketing technique...

37 replies
The girlfriend wanted candy, so we went to the dollar store (Dollar Tree).

As the girl at the register was ringing her up, she said "would you like to purchase a bottle of Gatorade for a dollar, it's our item of the week?"

My gf bought it.

It's only a dollar but let's dig a little deeper.

According to Wikipedia, Dollar Tree has 4,009 stores. Dangerous to assume, but I assume all of the stores are taught to do this. So let's look at some numbers. I am obviously guessing here as I don't know the exact numbers, but let's be conservative...

4,009 stores
Average 300 sales a day (probably low, I've been in there when it has been jam packed)
1,202,700 sales a day total
80% - Amount that the up sell is asked (962,160)
20% - Amount of people that take the up sell (962,160 x .20 = 192,432)
192,432 take the $1 up sell
10% - Profit margin (I'm sure it is a little higher)

Total - $19,243.20 extra per day buy asking a simple question that takes 10 seconds to do.

Say they are open 360 days a year...

That's an extra $6,927,552 per year!

Not too bad for just asking a question.

Take aways...

  • They asked it at the right time. My gf was in buying mode and was ready to pay.
  • I can only assume they have a different item every week since they said "it's out featured item of the week. Now in the dollar store not that big of a deal since next weeks item will be a dollar as well. But what about other businesses, they can have different items at different price points.
  • They actually are using a simple technique that is adding millions a year to their business. It's simple and yet not a lot of businesses are doing it.
#dollar #marketing #smart #store #technique #wow
  • Profile picture of the author BarryWheeler
    Business 101. Upsell your client when the opportunity presents itself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4364894].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dschoen
    Amazing,

    That reminds me of way back, like 30 years ago, yeah I know I am an old fossil, but I was single and said "what the heck" and got a second job selling furniture on nights and weekends. While I was training, the old owner of the store required me to add .99 cents to every order.

    Kind of unethical, but I guess when you buy $800 of furniture, you don't notice the $800.99 total plus tax, delivery, scotchgaurd etc of course I got a whopping 14% of that, but the old dude made a nice 85 cent pure profit.

    Thanks for the memories,

    Darwin
    Signature

    Darwin Schoenwald
    Albuquerque, NM
    "I hope to someday be the
    person my dog thinks I am"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4364928].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vagabond 007
      Originally Posted by dschoen View Post

      Amazing,

      That reminds me of way back, like 30 years ago, yeah I know I am an old fossil, but I was single and said "what the heck" and got a second job selling furniture on nights and weekends. While I was training, the old owner of the store required me to add .99 cents to every order.

      Kind of unethical, but I guess when you buy $800 of furniture, you don't notice the $800.99 total plus tax, delivery, scotchgaurd etc of course I got a whopping 14% of that, but the old dude made a nice 85 cent pure profit.

      Thanks for the memories,

      Darwin
      Hah, for some reason I find that to be actually kind of funny. Unethical, yes. But, very clever.

      Anyone ever call you on it and give you grief about it?

      P.S. I wasn't even alive 30 years ago.
      Signature
      The Ultimate Sales & Marketing Mind Map (Just updated - now twice as big!) - scott_krech - "Quite possibly one of the BEST WSO's ever."

      www.UltimateMindMap.com


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4364947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DazedandConfused
    Heck - McDonalds has been doing this for years...
    "You want Fries with that?"
    "Would you like to supersize this?"

    "the old fossill" line reminded me of an old joke on this subject (up sell), and since you "wasn't even alive 30 years ago"...stop me if you've heard it - :p

    One Sale Only

    A country lad applied for a salesman's job at a big city department store. In fact it was the biggest store in the world - you could get anything there. The boss asked him, "Have you ever been a salesman before?" Yes, I was a salesman in the country" said the lad.
    The boss liked the cut of him and said, "You can start tomorrow and I'll come and see you when we close up." The day was long and arduous for the young man, but finally 5 o'clock came around. The boss duly fronted up and asked the young lad, "How many sales did you make today?" "One," said the young salesman.
    "Only one?" blurted the boss, "most of my staff make 20 or 30 sales a day! How much was the sale worth?" "Two hundred thousand dollars," said the young man. "How did you manage that?" asked the flabbergasted boss.
    "Well," said the salesman, "this man came in, - and I sold him a small fish hook, then a medium hook and finally a really large hook. Then I sold him a small fishing line, a medium one and a huge big one. I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast. I said he would probably need a boat, so I took him down to the boat department and sold him that twenty foot schooner with the twin engines. Then he said his small car probably wouldn't be able to pull it, so I took him to the truck department and sold him that new Deluxe Cruiser." The boss took two steps back and asked in astonishment, "You sold all that to a guy who came in for a fish hook?"
    "No," answered the salesman "He came in to buy a box of feminine napkins for his wife, and I said to him, - 'Heck, your weekend's shot, you may as well go fishing.'" :rolleyes:


    (My apologies to anyone that might have been possibly offended by this joke in any way shape or form - though I can't understand how you would )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4364999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Falkonator
      Originally Posted by DazedandConfused View Post

      One Sale Only

      A country lad applied for a salesman's job at a big city department store. In fact it was the biggest store in the world - you could get anything there. The boss asked him, "Have you ever been a salesman before?" Yes, I was a salesman in the country" said the lad.
      The boss liked the cut of him and said, "You can start tomorrow and I'll come and see you when we close up." The day was long and arduous for the young man, but finally 5 o'clock came around. The boss duly fronted up and asked the young lad, "How many sales did you make today?" "One," said the young salesman.
      "Only one?" blurted the boss, "most of my staff make 20 or 30 sales a day! How much was the sale worth?" "Two hundred thousand dollars," said the young man. "How did you manage that?" asked the flabbergasted boss.
      "Well," said the salesman, "this man came in, - and I sold him a small fish hook, then a medium hook and finally a really large hook. Then I sold him a small fishing line, a medium one and a huge big one. I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast. I said he would probably need a boat, so I took him down to the boat department and sold him that twenty foot schooner with the twin engines. Then he said his small car probably wouldn't be able to pull it, so I took him to the truck department and sold him that new Deluxe Cruiser." The boss took two steps back and asked in astonishment, "You sold all that to a guy who came in for a fish hook?"
      "No," answered the salesman "He came in to buy a box of feminine napkins for his wife, and I said to him, - 'Heck, your weekend's shot, you may as well go fishing.'" :rolleyes:
      That is hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing trying to read it to my wife.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4365292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DazedandConfused
    Thanks Falkonator -
    I always liked that joke, and it illustrates the up-sell well !

    I probably used it to avert 007's thread question a bit though, about The Dollar Store using impulse buy in their marketing strategy...
    I became aware of this at the Dollar Store nearby around July 1st - the clerk asked me if I wanted to buy their "featured item" (I noticed all the clerks doing it - as a competition it seemed) the item was a barbecue lighter - a smart idea for upsell - given the upcoming holiday - but I was taken aback by the question..."What is the deal?" "How much is it?", I asked. When she said a dollar, I wondered,what person at the head office came up with this? That was a smart use of the upsell however, because of the holiday connection. Like you stated, your girlfriend bought the soda - but what really in the up-sell was in it for her? Nada - had she wanted a soda, she probably would have gotten one to buy before she got to the counter. I guess the question we have to ask is "why was, or is, she so susceptible to the purchase? Simply on the power of suggestion? Simply on the "throwaway" price alone? - If the clerk suggested anything less than a dollar - say .89 cents, they would increase the sales immensely, because though the mindset a the Dollar store is "it's only a dollar" - which is why people shop there. Imagine if they featured items that were LESS than a dollar? You would be getting a BETTER deal than you're getting NOW! Wow!
    (Btw: Comedian Larry the Cable Guy says he won't shop at the .99 cent store -
    "that stuff is CHEAP! - not like the Dollar Store" :rolleyes

    But then again maybe these type of stores don't have to lower price, because the price model is already so low they realize customers consistently buy things they don't need anyway, because it's "only a dollar". So they don't need to?
    The point is, you are right - this type of impulse,special buy technique works great for almost anyone - but I think that for the Dollar Store, it seems devious. A more flexible price point is needed in most cases...
    I'd be interested to see the figure from the test marketing though, and see how it has affected sales figures -

    Stay Successful,
    D&C
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4365492].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Teravel
    Fast Food "Would you like fries with that?"
    Coffe shops "Would you like a donut with your coffe?"
    Grocery Stores "Would you like to donate a dollar to XXXX"
    Most Massive Retailers "Do you have a 'Rewards Card'?"

    Its nothing new. It works. And more businesses are doing it than you think. Hell, Amazon suggests 10-30 products between the "Buy" button and the grocery card screen. Those items are related to what you have already put into your cart. This is them digitally asking if you want fries with your meal.

    Any suggestions for using this tactic in a local webdev type business?
    Signature

    "Failure is feedback. Feedback is the breakfast of champions." -Fortune Cookie

    PLR Packages - WSO

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4365861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Cho
    Sometimes some businesses don't even really need all the extra marketing. Just by upselling they can increase SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. thanks for the post vegabond
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4366006].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vagabond 007
      Originally Posted by DazedandConfused View Post

      "the old fossill" line reminded me of an old joke on this subject (up sell), and since you "wasn't even alive 30 years ago"...stop me if you've heard it - :p
      I have heard it before. But it's still hilarious!!

      Originally Posted by DazedandConfused View Post

      but I was taken aback by the question..."What is the deal?" "How much is it?", I asked. When she said a dollar, I wondered,what person at the head office came up with this? That was a smart use of the upsell however, because of the holiday connection. Like you stated, your girlfriend bought the soda - but what really in the up-sell was in it for her? Nada - had she wanted a soda, she probably would have gotten one to buy before she got to the counter. I guess the question we have to ask is "why was, or is, she so susceptible to the purchase? Simply on the power of suggestion? Simply on the "throwaway" price alone? - If the clerk suggested anything less than a dollar - say .89 cents, they would increase the sales immensely, because though the mindset a the Dollar store is "it's only a dollar" - which is why people shop there. Imagine if they featured items that were LESS than a dollar? You would be getting a BETTER deal than you're getting NOW! Wow!

      But then again maybe these type of stores don't have to lower price, because the price model is already so low they realize customers consistently buy things they don't need anyway, because it's "only a dollar". So they don't need to?
      The point is, you are right - this type of impulse,special buy technique works great for almost anyone - but I think that for the Dollar Store, it seems devious. A more flexible price point is needed in most cases...
      I'd be interested to see the figure from the test marketing though, and see how it has affected sales figures -

      Stay Successful,
      D&C
      I think you're looking into this too much. Why did you ask the clerk about it? It's the dollar store, how much do you think it's going to be? :p

      Remember, not everything has to make logical sense. Just the fact that they are asking it goes a long way to adding a bunch of zero's to their bank account.

      To prove not everything has to make sense, have you ever read Robert Cialdini's book Influence? There is a part in there about a person waiting in line to make copies. The person goes to the front and asked if she can butt in line. The reason given, "because I have to make copies."

      But it worked a good percentage of the time.

      And truth be told, my gf is always drinking Gatorade. So that is a big part of the reason why she bought it. So it was a coincidence that was the item of the week.

      However, it is an impulse buy. Just like magazines and gum/candy at the checkout line at the supermarket.

      Not everyone that took that Gatorade up sell drinks it as much as my gf.


      Originally Posted by Teravel View Post


      Its nothing new. It works. And more businesses are doing it than you think.

      Any suggestions for using this tactic in a local webdev type business?
      You're right, it is nothing new. McDonald's has been doing it for years and years.

      Ideas for a web development type business - Sure, you can up sell them on adding video to their site, adding a blog, SEO, AdWords campaign, logo, graphics, etc.

      Originally Posted by Chris Cho View Post

      Sometimes some businesses don't even really need all the extra marketing. Just by upselling they can increase SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. thanks for the post vegabond
      Exactly. Adding just an up sell to a business that isn't using one will give big results.

      Like I always say "small changes equals big profits."
      Signature
      The Ultimate Sales & Marketing Mind Map (Just updated - now twice as big!) - scott_krech - "Quite possibly one of the BEST WSO's ever."

      www.UltimateMindMap.com


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4366537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author faysal969
    an extra $6,927,552 per year!Really unbelievable, but it is realistic. With some good technique and hard work a small business may convert into a huge business. Thank you very much for sharing this point with us.
    Signature
    Learn SEO, Affiliate Marketing, CPA, and Make Money Online !!!!!!!

    Keep your house pest free and be healthy, wealthy, and happy. Get Rid of House Insects. :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4366737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nick Walker
    $6,927,552 per year is amazing, it's really breath taking. Im sure the owner isn't doing any work at all leaving all the hard work to teenagers... But i can agree no more that McDonald has been doing this for couple of years now. Apparently more than 40% fast food shops in US, are McDonalds. Hardly surprising...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4366975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DazedandConfused
    Good point 007 - maybe I did put too much thought into it...my brain just started typing...:rolleyes:
    the power of suggestion...
    How were we to know your GF is a gatoraid junkie? That explains it all!
    Also, curiously, I just started reading "Influence"... have you ruined the ending for me? :p
    D&C

    btw: I kidded the girl @ Dollar Tree store once if she ever messed with people' minds and called for a price check...she said no, but people ask me the price of things all the time... I said "you're joking" - and she responded, "I wish I was!"
    (really folks?)
    B
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4367796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tuscan
    Great insight. But the key sentence was: "They asked it (buy a Gatorade) at the right time. My gf was in buying mode and was ready to pay."
    Never miss an opportunity to upsell when the prospect is in the buying mood.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4367837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Yogini
      This might be because it's Florida, but I went to buy some reading glasses at the dollar store and they were 3.00 each pair. I am not sure if it was a dollar tree but some of the dollar stores have items that are more than 1.00.

      Though supermarkets don't verbally use an upsell usually, by having the gum, candy and m and m's right at checkout counters they are always getting those sales which people would probably skip otherwise.

      Debbie
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4368436].message }}
      • only 4 ways Any business can make more money:

        Get more Customers
        Reduce expenses
        Or Have current customers buy more often

        Or make larger purchases.

        Thanks 007 for the breakdown with Dollar store

        shaken or stirred, the business owner can grasp the easy math and get motivated!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4368545].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DazedandConfused
        Originally Posted by Yogini View Post

        This might be because it's Florida, but I went to buy some reading glasses at the dollar store and they were 3.00 each pair. I am not sure if it was a dollar tree but some of the dollar stores have items that are more than 1.00.

        Debbie
        I wasn't aware of that Debbie - It was a Dollar Tree, but I've never seen a Dollar type store that sell items more that 1.00...
        Seems like it defeats the whole purpose of calling it a Dollar Store? (kind of misleading)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4368563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PatrickP
    Originally Posted by Vagabond 007 View Post

    The girlfriend wanted candy, so we went to the dollar store (Dollar Tree).

    As the girl at the register was ringing her up, she said "would you like to purchase a bottle of Gatorade for a dollar, it's our item of the week?"

    My gf bought it.

    It's only a dollar but let's dig a little deeper.

    According to Wikipedia, Dollar Tree has 4,009 stores. Dangerous to assume, but I assume all of the stores are taught to do this. So let's look at some numbers. I am obviously guessing here as I don't know the exact numbers, but let's be conservative...

    4,009 stores
    Average 300 sales a day (probably low, I've been in there when it has been jam packed)
    1,202,700 sales a day total
    80% - Amount that the up sell is asked (962,160)
    20% - Amount of people that take the up sell (962,160 x .20 = 192,432)
    192,432 take the $1 up sell
    10% - Profit margin (I'm sure it is a little higher)

    Total - $19,243.20 extra per day buy asking a simple question that takes 10 seconds to do.

    Say they are open 360 days a year...

    That's an extra $6,927,552 per year!

    Not too bad for just asking a question.

    Take aways...

    • They asked it at the right time. My gf was in buying mode and was ready to pay.
    • I can only assume they have a different item every week since they said "it's out featured item of the week. Now in the dollar store not that big of a deal since next weeks item will be a dollar as well. But what about other businesses, they can have different items at different price points.
    • They actually are using a simple technique that is adding millions a year to their business. It's simple and yet not a lot of businesses are doing it.

    Yes it is 6 mil but then figure they make about .09 on each bottle comes out to about $150 per store. Definitely better to make more profit but not close to the 6 mill figure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MercadeoEspañol
      Originally Posted by PatrickP View Post

      Yes it is 6 mil but then figure they make about .09 on each bottle comes out to about $150 per store. Definitely better to make more profit but not close to the 6 mill figure.

      Nope. The figure is correct. That's 7 million dollars bills extra per year.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521508].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PatrickP
        Originally Posted by MercadeoEspañol View Post

        Nope. The figure is correct. That's 7 million dollars bills extra per year.
        My brother is a district manager for Dollar store.

        Believe me it is NOT 6 mil a year :rolleyes:
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521553].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BradleyC
      Hey, I think I was the guy that got sold all of that stuff.

      By the way, I had a MUCH BETTER WEEKEND than staying at home. It was worth every penny spent.

      LMAO.

      Bradley
      Signature
      ~ 25 Exciting Years of Marketing To Local Businesses ~
      << Learn NEVER BEFORE REVEALED strategies: MarketingToLocalBusinesses.com>>
      << Biggest Lead Generation Mistakes That Are COSTING YOU DEARLY!>>
      Agency Management Systems
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521558].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author midasman09
        Banned
        OK....I'm Sorry....I've read ALL of the above posts and...I have to say... NOT ONE of you have DISCOVERED.....why the "Marketing People" at Dollar Stores.....are paid the BIG BUX...for their Marketing Advice!

        As an example to SHOW that I'm not just a "Flake" or "BS Artist"....I've had many programs where I could offer TWO...possibilities to buy!

        "Mr Prospect....you can have 5,000 exposures for X$...or 10,000 exposures for X$ + 1/2!"

        So....when my prospect sees he CAN GET DOUBLE the exposures (or whatever)....for only 50% more....you'd think that MOST prospects would JUMP at the opportunity!

        Well....that works OK for people like my daughter who began her "work career" at Saks Fifth Ave on Michigan Ave in Chgo. I told her that when someone comes up to her counter with a suit or jacket....the FIRST THING she should say is...."Now! What color SHIRT would you like to go WITH your suit....or "A Soft-Blue TIE would look GREAT with this!"

        (No wonder she now has her own Jewelry biz)

        So....I learned a Sales Technique....LONG AGO that still gets me LOTS of sales in (Now Pay Close Attention);

        When offering a potential client a CHOICE of ....X or Double X for X+1/2 (In other words, prospect can get TWICE what you're selling for just 50% more)....DON'T DO IT!

        Why? In your "Greedy Little Hearts" you might think that, "Hey! It won't cost me more that 5% to do TWICE the amount....so....if I offer TWO TIMES the amount (or whatever).....for just 50% More from my customers/clients....that SHOULD be enough of an Incentive for my prospects to JUMP at my "Deal"?

        Wrongo! They see the Higher amount they'd have to spend to get twice the amount and....they realize they CAN'T AFFORD (or DON'T wanna spend your 1 1/2)....so....they REJECT YOUR OFFER!

        I call this "Scareing Away Customers!'

        Now! Here's what I've discovered; Offer your deal for X items (or time or whatever).....then....AFTER....you've gotten your prospect to "Agree To BUY from you!"....then....you can offer any "Additional Stuff"!

        So.....get

        However
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4522051].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author midasman09
        Banned
        OK....I'm Sorry....I've read ALL of the above posts and...I have to say... NOT ONE of you have DISCOVERED.....why the "Marketing People" at Dollar Stores.....are paid the BIG BUX...for their Marketing Advice!

        As an example to SHOW that I'm not just a "Flake" or "BS Artist"....I've had many programs where I could offer TWO...possibilities to buy!

        "Mr Prospect....you can have 5,000 exposures for X$...or 10,000 exposures for X$ + 1/2!"

        So....when my prospect sees he CAN GET DOUBLE the exposures (or whatever)....for only 50% more....you'd think that MOST prospects would JUMP at the opportunity!

        Well....that works OK for people like my daughter who began her "work career" at Saks Fifth Ave on Michigan Ave in Chgo. I told her that when someone comes up to her counter with a suit or jacket....the FIRST THING she should say is...."Now! What color SHIRT would you like to go WITH your suit....or "A Soft-Blue TIE would look GREAT with this!"

        (No wonder she now has her own Jewelry biz)

        So....I learned a Sales Technique....LONG AGO that still gets me LOTS of sales in (Now Pay Close Attention);

        When offering a potential client a CHOICE of ....X or Double X for X+1/2 (In other words, prospect can get TWICE what you're selling for just 50% more)....DON'T DO IT!

        Why? In your "Greedy Little Hearts" you might think that, "Hey! It won't cost me more that 5% to do TWICE the amount....so....if I offer TWO TIMES the amount (or whatever).....for just 50% More from my customers/clients....that SHOULD be enough of an Incentive for my prospects to JUMP at my "Deal"?

        Wrongo! They see the Higher amount they'd have to spend to get twice the amount and....they realize they CAN'T AFFORD (or DON'T wanna spend your 1 1/2)....so....they REJECT YOUR OFFER!

        I call this "Scareing Away Customers!'

        Now! Here's what I've discovered; Offer your deal for X items (or time or whatever).....then....AFTER....you've gotten your prospect to "Agree To BUY from you!"....then....you can offer any "Additional Stuff"!

        So.....get them IN .....then offer them Extras!

        Don Alm...who discovered long ago that...."GET A Customer First! Then, you can UPsell him later!

        Thankis for reading,

        Don Alm....Sales Guy
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4522063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TyBrown
    On a side note, I've read some articles about margins at these dollar stores. They actually do an amazing job with their margins and they are much better than grocery stores and even other retail outlets. Surprising considering their prices but as the saying goes, "You don't make your money when you sell, you make it when you buy."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4523656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author swilliams09
    I think I have "Marketer's Blindness" When I see lots of capital letters, quotations and bold font, I just scroll down. It's hard to even read that. Apparently it works, but my mind blocks it out. Anyway, would you like fries with that?
    Signature

    Learn how to make videos that sell. Special $1 Offer for Warriors Only.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...ml?view=modern

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4523662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Christine2011
    Great posts and jokes...LOL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4523871].message }}
  • I knew someone who started a dollar store franchise don't remember if it was Dollar Tree or what but they where in profit by the end of their second year.

    When most other businesses it takes at least 5 years.
    Signature
    Discover the secrets to Never paying out of pocket for your Advertising EVER AGAIN!! CLICK HERE

    Dial 888-888-9802, ext 66509 (3) , code 1 (#) FREE Recorded Message

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4523913].message }}
    • That is pretty genius! I'd love to get a Dollar Store opened, I never see them go out of biz.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5039797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danielkanuck
    Ahhh... gotta love them dollar stores lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5041766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tigertale
    Our dollar store uses an even better technique.

    At the end of the checkout counter are a bunch of different food items - boxed or canned.
    The cashier scans all your items and asks if you would like to donate one of those items to the Food Bank. If you say yes, she takes the item you choose, scans it and it adds to your total. The food item gets placed in a container for the Food Bank.

    Many people say yes. Brilliant.
    You feel generous. The Food Bank gets a donation. And the dollar store sells another item it otherwise would not have.
    Signature

    Worried about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? CarpalTunnelMaster.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5899674].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrew H
    They do this at the Superstore (Big grocery store chain), where I live. I hate it, they always try to sell the dumbest products, ie: shoe polish.
    Signature
    "You shouldn't come here and set yourself up as the resident wizard of oz."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5899733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
    Originally Posted by Vagabond 007 View Post

    The girlfriend wanted candy, so we went to the dollar store (Dollar Tree).

    As the girl at the register was ringing her up, she said "would you like to purchase a bottle of Gatorade for a dollar, it's our item of the week?"

    My gf bought it.

    It's only a dollar but let's dig a little deeper.

    According to Wikipedia, Dollar Tree has 4,009 stores. Dangerous to assume, but I assume all of the stores are taught to do this. So let's look at some numbers. I am obviously guessing here as I don't know the exact numbers, but let's be conservative...

    4,009 stores
    Average 300 sales a day (probably low, I've been in there when it has been jam packed)
    1,202,700 sales a day total
    80% - Amount that the up sell is asked (962,160)
    20% - Amount of people that take the up sell (962,160 x .20 = 192,432)
    192,432 take the $1 up sell
    10% - Profit margin (I'm sure it is a little higher)

    Total - $19,243.20 extra per day buy asking a simple question that takes 10 seconds to do.

    Say they are open 360 days a year...

    That's an extra $6,927,552 per year!

    Not too bad for just asking a question.

    Take aways...

    • They asked it at the right time. My gf was in buying mode and was ready to pay.
    • I can only assume they have a different item every week since they said "it's out featured item of the week. Now in the dollar store not that big of a deal since next weeks item will be a dollar as well. But what about other businesses, they can have different items at different price points.
    • They actually are using a simple technique that is adding millions a year to their business. It's simple and yet not a lot of businesses are doing it.
    Yesterday wife and me went to a Radio Shack to buy a doodad for her TV. While we were checking out the clerk upsold us on everything from their cell phone programs to a special on a package of thrity batteries in our size choice. It took us longer to check out then it did to find the doodad. She gave us an opportunity to buy everything but shares of stock in the company.

    We also stopped at our local dollar store on the way home. The clerk showed us their featured $1 item. Everybody finally has caught on. Oh, go to your local chain restaurant. As you are being seated you are offered every type of drink they have not to mention appetizers.

    I love this country. So much opportunity to spend my minimum wage paycheck :-)
    Signature
    Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

    The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5899877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    The entire dollar store model is a smart marketing technique with a multi-billion dollar track record, year over year. This was a good reminder for you that the world wasn't built by online sales geeks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5910220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smartiewriter
    Thanks for analyzing that. It definitely gets you thinking and shows that a little effort done consistently really adds up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5910917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Usmile
    Upselling is the most popular strategy every store applies to get more income, it is indeed a brilliant idea especially when made at the right time like in your case. Me myself have been into this situation where saleslady offer me something and my response is case to case basis.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5910923].message }}

Trending Topics