Irritated! How Can I Overcome This Objection

by Avanyx
17 replies
Ok so after contacting some more businesses I have been hit with this objection as couple of times now...

I am offering SMS Marketing, Mobile Optimized Websites, SEO, Social Media & Website Design at the moment.

When I contact businesses offering Mobile Website they simply say,

"Oh I will contact my web designer and ask if they can do it"

or

"Why should I choose you and not this other company that offers it for $$$"

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
#irritated #objection #overcome
  • Profile picture of the author Big Gee
    Im about to start doing this too, how much are you charging for the mobile site ?
    how many people have you contacted and been rejected by ? and did you have a mockup for them ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520220].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Avanyx
      Originally Posted by Warrior Ben View Post

      My experience has been that if you use a QR Code as a "hook" to get the business interested in you, they will more focus on the QR Code and not the actual mobile site. We all know that you can make a QR Code for free, so that really isn't the value you are providing to the business-- it's the mobile website, but by pitching it as a package they tend to focus less on the website and more the possibilities of the QR Code.

      Another way to tweak your pitch is to call your mobile website a Mobile Web App that is accessible by any smartphone-- not just the iPhone or Android. This will take the focus off that you are providing web design services and more on providing a Mobile Web App. Most small businesses don't have a Mobile Web App designer, so they will be more likely to go with you rather than just have their web designer do it.

      I hope this helps!

      -Ben
      That is a great idea I had never thought about positioning my offer in that way, I will try that out...

      Originally Posted by Big Gee View Post

      Im about to start doing this too, how much are you charging for the mobile site ?
      how many people have you contacted and been rejected by ? and did you have a mockup for them ?
      I charge mobile sites at £97 and £120 this is a testing phase to see which price works best though so will stick with one price one I get more purchases to see which to keep, if they need hosting I host it also and included updates if needed to the site for £14.95 monthly.

      As for the how many people I have contacted it varies because I have been using my first few weeks testing different direct mail letters and email etc still have to pick up the phone to cold call though so I would say if we are just talking about the mobile sites I have contacted 18 and have gotten 2 sales just for the mobile website.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520283].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author midasman09
        Banned
        ""Oh I will contact my web designer and ask if they can do it"

        or

        "Why should I choose you and not this other company that offers it for $$$"

        My Answer has always been....What I've always done is; WHAT can I offer that their "Web Designer" CAN't?

        I'm a fan of "Jack Mize" in Houston.Tx (sorry, you can get into his "IN" group now)...who taught me (when this Internet Land-Grab was starting) that...."Sell BENEFITS, rather than "Features"!

        So....you are selling websites and things related. WHAT can YOU do that "No-One" else (including their WebDesigner)....can DO?

        So....what Jack advises and I've found to be true is....offer Businesses a "Way to Get Leads"....instead of a "Nice-Looking Website"!

        What good is a fancy-schmancy FLASH website with all kinds of Bells & Whistles....IF IT AIN'T GONNA BRING IN CUSTOMERS????

        My goodness man...I just looked at (this weekend) 6 local "Fancy-Schmancy" websites and....phoned the Owners of these biz and asked, "How They Workin' Out For Ya!" (Excuse my "Obama-ese)

        The response was, "Can't tell if we've gotten ANY biz from the site!"

        So....next question was; "If I showed you a way to GET MORE CUSTOMERS, would you be interested"?

        Overwhelming Answer was: "HELL YES! MAN! BRING IT ON!"

        So....what was MY "Solution"? SHOW THEM HOW MY SOLUTION COULD BRING THEM MORE CUSTOMERS!"

        And...when they SAW the ONE-PAGE site I made for them (as a Mock-Up)....guess what? They dropped their present "Web Designer" and went with little ol' me!

        Aside: When you get a chance...go to the HG Channel and look for a show called, "Designed To Sell"! Tammy and Roger go to houses that've been on the market for 6 mos or longer and....without much money...set up the house so prospective buyers will WANT to Live There!

        This can also be applied to websites. If a website is NOT made to "Attract" customers/clients....and GET PROSPECTS TO RESPOND....it ain't worth a nickle!

        Don Alm....website Designer for Leads
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520546].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MercadeoEspañol
          Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post


          I'm a fan of "Jack Mize" in Houston.Tx (sorry, you can get into his "IN" group now)...who taught me (when this Internet Land-Grab was starting) that...."Sell BENEFITS, rather than "Features"!

          ...And if you are able to sell THE BENEFIT OF THE BENEFIT, it's even better.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520788].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Warrior Ben
    My experience has been that if you use a QR Code as a "hook" to get the business interested in you, they will more focus on the QR Code and not the actual mobile site. We all know that you can make a QR Code for free, so that really isn't the value you are providing to the business-- it's the mobile website, but by pitching it as a package they tend to focus less on the website and more the possibilities of the QR Code.

    Another way to tweak your pitch is to call your mobile website a Mobile Web App that is accessible by any smartphone-- not just the iPhone or Android. This will take the focus off that you are providing web design services and more on providing a Mobile Web App. Most small businesses don't have a Mobile Web App designer, so they will be more likely to go with you rather than just have their web designer do it.

    I hope this helps!

    -Ben
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MercadeoEspañol
    Originally Posted by Avanyx View Post

    Ok so after contacting some more businesses I have been hit with this objection as couple of times now...

    I am offering SMS Marketing, Mobile Optimized Websites, SEO, Social Media & Website Design at the moment.

    When I contact businesses offering Mobile Website they simply say,

    "Oh I will contact my web designer and ask if they can do it"

    or

    "Why should I choose you and not this other company that offers it for $$$"

    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    The true benefit is not in the Mobile Optimized Website, at least this is not perceived by the business owner as of yet.

    Even though Mobile website optimization is in my portfolio, I sell the main benefit: MORE & REPETITIVE CUSTOMERS.

    Don't approach the business owner with techie mumbo jumbo. He can careless... They have their "programmer", what they don't have is an Internet Marketer.

    YOUR Mobile website will generate more and repetitive customers because it can start building an optin list to do SMS marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Big Gee
    hmm a mobile web app sounds like a cool spin and the qr code hook sounds like a winner too !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520266].message }}
  • Just my 2 cents - but the secret to landing the right clients is to show them the money! When we work with a prospect, we don't sell technical stuff, we sell money. If we're selling SEO, we show client rankings, analytic growth. If we're selling marketing, we show sales growth for the client. You could show the growth of one of your client's traffic using the mobile site or a testimonial of sales growth in video format from a client using SMS marketing.

    I find that most guys market technology like SEO, not the dream of growing sales.

    We also charge for proposal writing, $200 - $300, and average client is worth about $20K + depending on what they want. We hardly ever get any pushback as people are interested in growth we can do, not in a mobile site, SEO...

    The other thing that might be helpful is that if you can provide an PDF with your "proof in it", that will help you gain some credibility.

    If they say "No", leave them and move on to the next. Plenty of biz out there.

    Matt
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520456].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Avanyx
      Originally Posted by fourstepconsultant View Post

      Just my 2 cents - but the secret to landing the right clients is to show them the money! When we work with a prospect, we don't sell technical stuff, we sell money. If we're selling SEO, we show client rankings, analytic growth. If we're selling marketing, we show sales growth for the client. You could show the growth of one of your client's traffic using the mobile site or a testimonial of sales growth in video format from a client using SMS marketing.

      I find that most guys market technology like SEO, not the dream of growing sales.

      We also charge for proposal writing, $200 - $300, and average client is worth about $20K + depending on what they want. We hardly ever get any pushback as people are interested in growth we can do, not in a mobile site, SEO...

      The other thing that might be helpful is that if you can provide an PDF with your "proof in it", that will help you gain some credibility.

      If they say "No", leave them and move on to the next. Plenty of biz out there.

      Matt
      That is fantastic advice thank you...

      Building this business from the ground up, its going slowly at the moment with 3 clients now within first 3 1/2 weeks but hopefully things will speed up and I can learn more and more...

      What are your 5 best tips for me starting from scratch in offline consulting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520560].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Avanyx View Post


        What are your 5 best tips for me starting from scratch in offline consulting.
        1. Set up your business the right way first - Email, toll free numbers, and websites. Professional only!

        2. Have your services and price lists in PDF format. Nice and professional, logos, etc.

        3. Have proof package - use your outsourced team's proof if you have too. You must look like this isn't your first time.

        4. Have systems in place - read the emyth and check out proposalbe, freshbooks, basecamphq, and figure out how you'll do everything.

        5. Pick the right clients - If you position yourself the right way, you'll do awesome. It is a great business man, and is very rewarding. I always make my clients pay a $200 - $300 marketing audit proposal fee. It weeds out the tire kickers and keeps the revenues growing.

        You can easily make $150K with 10 clients if you set up the right way.

        Matt
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520799].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Avanyx
          Originally Posted by fourstepconsultant View Post

          1. Set up your business the right way first - Email, toll free numbers, and websites. Professional only!

          2. Have your services and price lists in PDF format. Nice and professional, logos, etc.

          3. Have proof package - use your outsourced team's proof if you have too. You must look like this isn't your first time.

          4. Have systems in place - read the emyth and check out proposalbe, freshbooks, basecamphq, and figure out how you'll do everything.

          5. Pick the right clients - If you position yourself the right way, you'll do awesome. It is a great business man, and is very rewarding. I always make my clients pay a $200 - $300 marketing audit proposal fee. It weeds out the tire kickers and keeps the revenues growing.

          You can easily make $150K with 10 clients if you set up the right way.

          Matt
          Not to sound silly but what exactly is the $200-$300 marketing audit proposal fee mean?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520976].message }}
          • We give every client a free 30 minute consultation. Next step is that we offer them a proposal. Most say yes right away. We talk about the research, time we'll spend, and by that time, they are yesing us to death.

            Then I say, here's how it works. We'll spend an hour by phone talking about the project and then spend a great deal of time going over your proposal. THe cost is $300.00.

            Serious people move foward, time wasters don't. Either way, it is a win for us. I've closed 11/12 when they pay the $300 proposal fee or audit fee, or whatever you want to call it. Those who say no, we don't work with.

            If you're a success when you start your biz, then obviously, your time is valuable and business owners understand this. Most won't have a problem paying it and it allows you to get bigger contracts. Hope that helps!

            Matt
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    Well it comes down to saying in a "nice" way. Sir this is not putting up another crappy website that is just sitting there with no activity, we are talking about a lean, mean, lead generating machine that is going to put money in your pocket.
    How about "Look ,if your webguy knew anything about marketing then you wouldnt be in this position now" Its all about attitude!
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520493].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulFL
    As noted above, you are selling results, not technology. The biz owners want sales, profits, repeat business.
    Most products/services have 6 main objections - Know the objections and have a rehearsed script to respond to each of them. "Mr. Prospect, I can see why you'd want to contact your web person but the problem is that many designers miss out on turning your site into a marketing tool.

    In the time it takes them to learn the technology, there's a good chance we can have new business for you. Why don't we go ahead and schedule a few minutes to get together so you can decide if this would be a good fit with you and would give you the results you're looking for?

    If you have 3 clients, the five best tips I can think of is to get five referrals from each of them - That's 15 prospects to follow-up with. If you only close 25%, you have 4 more clients to get five referrals from. Close 25% of them and you have 5 new clients. Leverage your 3 clients into 9 more for a total of 12 with no additional marketing costs.
    Signature
    Tired of Chasing Shiny Objects?
    Get Instant Access to the Easy Cash Webinar
    >>The Ultimate Unfair Advantage <<
    Easy - Quick - Proven
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaxReferrals
    You need to show them the value you bring, that their current
    web people may have missed showing them. One way you can
    do this is simply show them what their competitors may be
    doing online, and where the apparent gaps are in their own
    business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fitz10
    What value do you bring to the table? What is your unique selling proposition? Do you have unique resources that you can bring to the table that other people can't? I think without knowing the answers to these questions it's going to be hard for you to overcome this particular objection because hey, why shouldn't they go with an already known to them entity if you're not bringing them anything special?

    I'm not saying your services aren't great, I'm sure they are, but unless you can really express how great your services are and the benefits of doing business with you over the other guy, you're going to face an uphill battle.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luther Landro
    You're selling more than the platform; you offer a custom strategy based on goals, metrics, and your unique experiences in the industry. Try to stress to the buyer that your programs, while using technical elements, are more "marketing communications" verses "design."

    While their developer would be able to set it up, he won't have the marketing experience nor inclination to manage campaigns.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521565].message }}

Trending Topics