Here's How to Get FREE Media Publicity for Your Business

23 replies
Hey there Warriors!

I'm going to keep this post short (relative to some of my previous posts!) but wanted to share a great resource to get free publicity for your business.

You may have heard of this before, but if you haven't signed up (it's free!) you should do so right now!

It's called Help A Reporter Out (HARO - Help a Reporter Out ™) or HARO for short. Basically it is an e-mail list that goes out 3 times a day to connect reporters who are looking for help with a story to sources who can help the reporter out.

You get a brief description of what the reporter is looking for and if it relates to your business in anyway, you can respond as an expert and get quoted in their article. If you end up getting quoted in the article, you can post it on your website, Facebook, Twitter, etc... to help give you credibility when potential clients are looking into working with you.

Even better, if you have clients who could provide advice to a reporter seeking help, you can help connect your clients with the reporter. Your clients will absolutely LOVE you for this and it will further deepen your relationship to be able to sell them on other services in the future.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you out! Gotta run to an appointment now!

-Ben
#business #free #media #publicity
  • Profile picture of the author fitz10
    Ben, this is an awesome tip. Most warriors seem unaware that publicity is a much more powerful attractor than nearly any other tactic.

    Anyway, here's a few more sites that allow experts and journalists to connect:
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4537306].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Luther Landro
      Being quoted in the media can really give you a boost. I recall an associate who used haro and got quoted in NY Times. Ended up with some good leads for his design firm.

      In fact, you're giving me ideas now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4537455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brittlesnc
    Any tips/advice about how to get quoted...I tried a few times (probably should try more) with HARO but nothing ever came of it.

    Does anyone have a personal story of how they used free media publicity to help grown their business?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4537588].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RentItNow
      Originally Posted by brittlesnc View Post

      Any tips/advice about how to get quoted...I tried a few times (probably should try more) with HARO but nothing ever came of it.

      Does anyone have a personal story of how they used free media publicity to help grown their business?
      I used this in my rental agent business. Just called up the business section editor after seeing a related business story and said, its interesting you put that article because I am starting a service that will help solve the issue (it was about my city having the highest vacancy rate in the country).

      Boy I was NOT expecting the results of the article he did. The phone was literally ringing off the hook for days and we built up a really good base of people (landlords) that we needed to get paid from REALLY fast.

      I am going to be doing this very soon and how I will approach it is the same. The economy is doing so bad, read your article re this or that and you know what, I happened to have a really good service that will help local businesses. Will see if it has same results.
      Signature
      I have no agenda but to help those in the same situation. This I feel will pay the bills.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4537626].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fitz10
      Originally Posted by brittlesnc View Post

      Any tips/advice about how to get quoted...I tried a few times (probably should try more) with HARO but nothing ever came of it.

      Does anyone have a personal story of how they used free media publicity to help grown their business?
      Rent It Now definitely has the right idea. Your pitch needs to be relevant and by relating it to other things in the news that are going on you face a much better chance of actually seeing your story picked up. So lets say there's a story on the news about how businesses expenses are increasing due to the price of gas and raising electricity prices. You should then write a story that sort of responds to that by giving tips on lowering your business expenses.

      When responding to HARO I've heard that the biggest problem journalists face is that the pitches they receive back aren't targeted enough so make sure your pitch is laser targeted to what the journalist wants to hear.
      Signature



      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4537677].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thelibidoguy
    I've heard about this somewhere else. Looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4538449].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AppsFromHome
    I've personally used HARO for some successful coverage....sometimes its annoying to get the e-mails everyday but other days when I can find time, there are some great stories to be found.

    I have been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, had a 5 minute feature on Fox New Cleveland (which was later picked up by 6 different big marketing Fox News affiliate stations), and numerous websites that will link to your site which helps with SEO....kill two birds with one stone! HARO is great! Just make your pitch relevant and compelling.

    Now the next step is to try to line up some coverage for my clients...that is a great idea Warrior Ben, you really know your stuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4538552].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Voasi
    I've on HARO's list as well - I've tried about 5-10 times, sending out emails that are only laser-targeted to what they're looking for. I've never had anyone email me back for an interview or want to know more information. It's probably a numbers game, but I would also like to hear from other WF's who have successfully had content published.
    Signature
    Want $6,000/mo. SEO Clients? Watch My Free Video!
    We do WSO Designs TOO!!! Best on WF! - Click Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4538747].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jrobconsult
      Originally Posted by Voasi View Post

      I've on HARO's list as well - I've tried about 5-10 times, sending out emails that are only laser-targeted to what they're looking for. I've never had anyone email me back for an interview or want to know more information. It's probably a numbers game, but I would also like to hear from other WF's who have successfully had content published.
      According to Haro, the key is to answer the reply ASAP, as the people who request information, get overwhelmed.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4693103].message }}
  • Thanks Warrior Ben,

    Not only did I bookmark this thread, I PDF'd it for safekeeping and filed it into my Implementation Folder on my desktop.

    Cheers,

    P.S. I always make sure I PDF threads that are worth keeping AND just in case it gets deleted (for some reason from this forum). Just passing along some lessons learned here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4553192].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roma01
    Very interesting, thanks, I will give this a try.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4623670].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SendCards
      I had this idea on how to kick off a QR Code business in my area and HARO could help out the plan.

      When we kick off the QR/SMS biz I plan to get a really big cheap banner made,10' Wide x 10' Long. It will be printed with just QR Code that will be linked to an SMS text message, there will be no short url or domain name along with it. Hopefully curiousity will kill the cat.

      I have a few friends that will display the banner on their business buildings and provide discount coupons for those that read the code with their smartphone. I figure a cheap banner would only last a few weeks but we should get some good mileage outta it for less than a couple hundred bucks. I figure we could secretly change the location about 6 times in 3 or 4 weeks in high traffic areas while we inform a couple local reporters about the weird "Secret Code" that keeps popping up around town and the 'story' behind it. Would be cool if it was televised on the local 6 O'Clock News or reported in the local paper so we could even get more mileage outta it.

      Anyway, just an idea on our local marketing lists...

      Thanks for the HARO resource Ben....

      Cheers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4623842].message }}
      • Originally Posted by SendCards View Post

        I had this idea on how to kick off a QR Code business in my area and HARO could help out the plan.

        When we kick off the QR/SMS biz I plan to get a really big cheap banner made,10' Wide x 10' Long. It will be printed with just QR Code that will be linked to an SMS text message, there will be no short url or domain name along with it. Hopefully curiousity will kill the cat.

        I have a few friends that will display the banner on their business buildings and provide discount coupons for those that read the code with their smartphone. I figure a cheap banner would only last a few weeks but we should get some good mileage outta it for less than a couple hundred bucks. I figure we could secretly change the location about 6 times in 3 or 4 weeks in high traffic areas while we inform a couple local reporters about the weird "Secret Code" that keeps popping up around town and the 'story' behind it. Would be cool if it was televised on the local 6 O'Clock News or reported in the local paper so we could even get more mileage outta it.

        Anyway, just an idea on our local marketing lists...

        Thanks for the HARO resource Ben....

        Cheers
        I hope you don't think I'm swiping you - but I had the same idea!...(minus the discount coupon angle)...(and no friends in the buildings - yet)
        I just hope we don't live in the same town
        Great minds think alike ! -
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4624483].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SendCards
          Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

          I hope you don't think I'm swiping you - but I had the same idea!...(minus the discount coupon angle)...(and no friends in the buildings - yet)
          I just hope we don't live in the same town
          Great minds think alike ! -
          It has been said that there are no new ideas and I figure dozens of folks in North America or worldwide have the same idea at almost the same time, kind of a collective consciousness...

          Even If we did live in the same town and one of us went to market with this, I for one would cheer you on because you took action!

          Cheers!

          Chris
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4624583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crowns
    Cool. I'll try to sign in, utilize their service for free.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4624083].message }}
  • @ SendCards -

    Even If we did live in the same town and one of us went to market with this, I for one would cheer you on because you took action!
    Ok! - Thanks Chris!
    (so... you won't mind when I take down your signs then? )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4624942].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SendCards
      Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

      @ SendCards -



      Ok! - Thanks Chris!
      (so... you won't mind when I take down your signs then? )
      Ouch! That hurt! LOL!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4625189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author swagcentral
    thanks for sharing this. i also had some success just calling or emailing the editors i liked in my local newspaper
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4625224].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author greenovni
    This is an awesome source. !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4627624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jones87
    There are many useful information here, good post, thanks for support.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4628957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fasteasysuccess
    HARO and Reporter Connection I think are the top two. I've used both and have had several opportunities come up from it like entrepreneur magazine, american express open forum, newspapers and other sources.

    The key with haro and reporter connection and any other source is to not only show how you can help the reporter complete the story, but also how it will benefit the readers. They get so many replies and requests from others, so you need to stand out and bring the value.

    You don't need to wait for requests either. There are several ways to get free publicity, but if looking to get into a magazine or newspaper, then use the resources mentioned and...plus, you can decide where want to be and then pick up the phone, send an email, send a fax and so on.

    You need to explain how it's a win/win for everyone involved and how you are the choice they need to speak to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4693288].message }}

Trending Topics