I have been Full Time since April, 2008. Here are my Top 5 Keys.
1. Learn Internet Marketing at an expert level, SEO, Social Media, Search Marketing, Video Marketing....etc..when I started out. I was watching 2 to 3 hours of training every day. Now its like 2 to 3 hours per week.
2. Write 100+ Blogs/Articles and record 100+ Videos about the strategies you learned above. Here is why...people follow the leader. If you are providing value through your Article/Blogs/Videos. Then the potential clients who are looking for someone with your skill set, will find and read your content. (Make sure you have link to a lead capture or contact us on everything)
3. Create a VERY large Social Media Following, I found the minimum should be 2,000 Facebook Fans, 10,000 Twitter Followers, 1,000 LinkedIn Connections and 500 YouTube Friends. You mainly want to do this because your clients are going to research you and perform their due diligence. You need to look and position yourself as an expert if you going to be commanding $1,500 to $5,000 or more per month per client.
4. Be your own client. What ever services you are going to offer to potential clients, you need to already have been performing these for yourself. Especially if you are just starting out. Show a client how you have gotten yourself on Page One of Google or that you have 10,000 Twitter Followers.
5. Be social...always carry business cards. Attend every Chamber, Business Mixer, Networking Group or Meet Up Group possible. Never lead with that you are a Internet Marketing Consultant. I tell people I help small to large businesses leverage the power of the Internet to generate leads and sales. (trademark) haha
Lastly, on your little white name badge at these events. Just put the word Google or Facebook instead of your name. You will have a line of people coming to speak to you.
There is much more...but these are my Top 5. I think I will make this into a Blog now :-)