About a 4 months ago, I decided to change directions in my business and move into being an offline consultant offering online services to small and medium offline businesses.
So I purchased a ton of WSO's on the subject, picked a few of the concepts that really fit my personality and interests and went out there and put it into action.
Today I'm going to share with you the exact steps that I used (and still use) to generate my first few clients. Hopefully you will find this information useful if you are struggling to get your first offline client : )
1. Industry Research - I was looking for businesses that had a reasonably high customer value so that pricing wouldn't be a struggle when I went to close. I settled on Psychologists as their hourly rates are around $170 and each new patient stays on for on average 8 sessions. Each new client is approximately worth $1360.
2. Searches - Then I pulled up the trusty Google Keyword tool and searched the main Canadian cities (Population > 100K) to see if there was any search volume for the main term : Psychologist "City Name" ie Psychologist Vancouver, Psychologist Toronoto etc ... I wasn't very picky. If they had any search volume then it was go
3. Video Presentation - I then created 1 video per city (not per customer) using Camtasia (you can use jing for free) talking about the market. Here is how the video goes:
- Introduction of my self with photo
- Talk about how no one can find them since they are not listed on first page
- Show Google Keyword tool and how many people are looking for their services
- Do the actual search in Google "Psychologist City Name" and point out which companies are getting this business
- Advise that can only work with 1 company per industry (Scarcity)
5. Sent Emails - I then sent an email that states that there are "X" amount of people looking for them each month and that "Company A" & "Company B" are getting the most of that business. From there I put a link to the video that I did for them.
The subject line I used was "City Name Psychologist Wanted" and I sent out all of my emails using didtheyreadit.com (not an affiliate link) to track who opened my emails etc ...
6. Response & Initial Meeting - When people responded, I would set up a quick 15 minute phone meeting to go over a few questions about their business and what they were looking to accomplish.
7. Proposal - After the call I would go back, based on the conversation come up with a proposal and pricing for them.
That's pretty much it. On that initial test, I received 8 inquiries, closed 2 clients and have open talks with 3 others. I actually just received an email back from one that wants to set up a call this coming Monday and I initially emailed her over 2 months ago : )
Hopefully you guys find this information helpful and I would love to hear what's working for you to get new clients. Anything from prospecting, lead generation or closing techniques - I'm all ears
*** Update: For those that PM'd me I've included the video that I sent below: