46 replies
I am building sites to generate local leads for different niches. I am currently stumped trying to figure out how to market for septic service (tank cleaning, inspections, etc.). There are no local search nubers that display on Google's keyword tool. I have local pages ninja but don't want to look to spammy to the client. I really need to rank for the local cities and counties. Any suggestions on how I should build the site or sites?
#advice #local #seo
  • Profile picture of the author Rollmodl
    Originally Posted by thefsboking View Post

    There are no local search nubers that display on Google's keyword tool. I really need to rank for the local cities and counties. Any suggestions on how I should build the site or sites?
    Using Google Keyword tool, I entered septic tanks and it returned quite a few keywords and phrases with Global and Local results. I'm not sure what you are looking for.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5312729].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thefsboking
      Rollmodl thanks for the reply. When I do an exact match for septic tanks + city there are no results returned. the business owner also told me that because most septic systems are in the rural areas that he thinks he would do better ranked for septic tank cleaning + county. However there are still no results when I enter it that way. Right now I am thinking of creating a site using local pages ninja plugin to cover each city and each county. I hear that Google doesn't frown on duplicate content at the local level especially if it is the same company advertising in different towns within the same metropolitan area. I hope that is correct. If you have any better suggestion please let me know.
      Signature

      Mike Williams

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5313325].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Enfusia
        Go for Google places because when I Google septic tank pumping places come up and there are no emd's for it.

        Looks like Google places might be your answer.

        Then have him paint Betty Boop on the side of the trucks and their slogan will be "Poo Poo We Do!"

        Patrick
        Signature
        Free eBook =>
        The Secret To Success In Any Business
        Yes, Any Business!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5313415].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tobyddd
          Originally Posted by Enfusia View Post

          Go for Google places because when I Google septic tank pumping places come up and there are no emd's for it.

          Looks like Google places might be your answer.
          I'd agree with that.

          Also, check out what the competition are ranking for - it's a good starting place.

          If you are optimising an existing site - check out what keywords are being used to arrive to your site.

          Not sure where in the world you are, but in the UK, I've just run a keyword search on Septic Tanks and got 49500 local searches - but adding Doncaster (my hometown) to the search criteria, it didn't show anything - showing that people aren't using the town in the search query.

          Not a problem - just don't go overboard optimising for the town variant of the keyword phrase (but don't omit it).

          Originally Posted by Enfusia View Post

          Then have him paint Betty Boop on the side of the trucks and their slogan will be "Poo Poo We Do!"
          Fantastic LMAO
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5314824].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author wpcanvas
            check your keywords as you want local SEO so mention the city with keyword. Consider as a long tail. and do seo activity. Start local listing too on Google.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5314854].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author shemp
            toby am looking to work with someone to obtain 1st page ranking in google for only local search i.e builders manchester - what experience do you have with this contact me direct pls

            Originally Posted by tobyddd View Post

            I'd agree with that.

            Also, check out what the competition are ranking for - it's a good starting place.

            If you are optimising an existing site - check out what keywords are being used to arrive to your site.

            Not sure where in the world you are, but in the UK, I've just run a keyword search on Septic Tanks and got 49500 local searches - but adding Doncaster (my hometown) to the search criteria, it didn't show anything - showing that people aren't using the town in the search query.

            Not a problem - just don't go overboard optimising for the town variant of the keyword phrase (but don't omit it).

            - toby am looking to work with someone to obtain 1st page ranking in google for only local search i.e builders manchester - what experience do you have with this contact me direct pls


            Fantastic LMAO
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5384369].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gametic114
      Originally Posted by Rollmodl View Post

      Using Google Keyword tool, I entered septic tanks and it returned quite a few keywords and phrases with Global and Local results. I'm not sure what you are looking for.

      Yes i agree with this , you can find the nearest word with the keyword septic tanks And Using Broad for you to recognize the number of competition of the keywords.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5313844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author localvseo
    Sometimes regions work better than cities or counties too. If it's that niche where you are you may even want to consider doing septic tanks + state. May need to be a little creative and see if there are search terms a little longer tail that would also work, that has been a solution I have used in somewhat similar situations.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5313430].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rollmodl
      Google will not show results for a specific city. What you see is what you get. Basically, conduct your campaign as you would based on Global and Local searches and add the city for specific targeting. So if someone enters the city+keyword in search, your results would show up. Consider it a long tail version of your main keyword.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5313511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kumar125
    Hello
    I think you need local traffic than do local SEO like local directory submission, local bookmaking, forum also relevant and local than create local blogs these all ways is the good for local SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5313569].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author careyjesus
      i had done whole SEO fully offpage optimization.so What is local bookmarking?local directory.Are these different from Directory and Social bookmarking?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5313907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sonu703
    submission of local directories can do the work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5313916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tracy123
    Go for a straight and simple solution of listing your business on local directories and places too in which try to use all the sites which are allowing you to enlist you website. As said above Google places you must use for your business listing there and try to get review recommending your friends. Use social medias as one of the best friend here when it comes to localize marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5314073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bigredmachine
    Hi,

    If your business targets local customers, then all you need to do to start building an online presence by registering on local business listings of popular search engines like Yahoo, Bing & Google. Usually the local listing option is placed right above the search engine bar. You would need to sign-up and create a personal e-mail id before you can register your company. Basic way to enhance your online presence is Business directories and review sites like Yellowpages.com, MerchantCircle.com, CitySearch, Yelp.com. These sites tend to appear on the very first page of every search engine when someone looks for a local business.

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5314706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jmark1107
    Control information across the internet
    A big part of local search optimization and marketing involves obtaining information from other sites. Local listing aggregation services search the internet far and wide to find pictures, reviews and any information they can on your company.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5315283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thefsboking
    Thanks to everyone for so many good tips. It seems that if I Google "septic tank cleaning" then the Google Places listings are on top. This is a concern doing offline marketing for any niche that serves a region and not just one city. It can also be a problem for sites I want to rent because if I rank the site for the number 1 position then there still may be 7 Google Places listings sitting above mine. Can a Google Places listing be optimized for a region? I don't need the whole state but a radius less than 100 miles would cover the region my client serves.
    Signature

    Mike Williams

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5315732].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tobyddd
      Originally Posted by thefsboking View Post

      Thanks to everyone for so many good tips. It seems that if I Google "septic tank cleaning" then the Google Places listings are on top. This is a concern doing offline marketing for any niche that serves a region and not just one city. It can also be a problem for sites I want to rent because if I rank the site for the number 1 position then there still may be 7 Google Places listings sitting above mine. Can a Google Places listing be optimized for a region? I don't need the whole state but a radius less than 100 miles would cover the region my client serves.
      I would say not - just localised area. But get the GP optimised and you can be one of the 7 Also get your clients customers to give him a review on GP - and not on any other kind of review site
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5315839].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author stewane
        Ok, let me give you some additional advice to save some time...

        I would setup a PPC campaign and TEST those keywords that shows "no traffic" all too often I have found myself salivating at the thought of ranking for keywords that showed traffic in different tools only to find there was NOTHING there.

        Again, If I were you, I would setup a PPC campaign to test and find out which keywords is actually driving traffic instead of guessing with SEO.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5319486].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thefsboking
          Originally Posted by stewane View Post

          Ok, let me give you some additional advice to save some time...

          I would setup a PPC campaign and TEST those keywords that shows "no traffic" all too often I have found myself salivating at the thought of ranking for keywords that showed traffic in different tools only to find there was NOTHING there.

          Again, If I were you, I would setup a PPC campaign to test and find out which keywords is actually driving traffic instead of guessing with SEO.
          Your advice makes a lot of sense but can you give me a little more guidance? How would I do this without spending a small fortune with Adwords? How long should I test each keyword phrase? Can more than one phrase be tested at a time? Let's say I have 10 keywords phrases for this niche. What would you do to test and find out which ones would get traffic?
          Signature

          Mike Williams

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5325451].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinG30
    I have kind of a stupid question. I did some reading on SEO and backlinking and was able to get my brick and mortar business to rank number 1 on google for a couple terms in relation to my business. My question is what do you guys do with sites you build and get to number 1 on google? For instance, say you purchased Bestpizzaindenver.com and you were able to get that site to rank pretty high. Would you look at just selling the site to a local pizzeria or doing something else with it?

    Another example like OP was using. Say you had like septicservicesdenver.com Would you build this site and sell it also, or do something different with it?

    Thanks for the help
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5325583].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jinamarnayaha
      I will recommend you to use local directories submission. It will help to find your site in local directories. I always see that user search local directories for knowing address of local SEO service provider. Do this submission and get customer in few days.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5327465].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tobyddd
      Originally Posted by JustinG30 View Post

      I have kind of a stupid question. I did some reading on SEO and backlinking and was able to get my brick and mortar business to rank number 1 on google for a couple terms in relation to my business. My question is what do you guys do with sites you build and get to number 1 on google? For instance, say you purchased Bestpizzaindenver.com and you were able to get that site to rank pretty high. Would you look at just selling the site to a local pizzeria or doing something else with it?

      Another example like OP was using. Say you had like septicservicesdenver.com Would you build this site and sell it also, or do something different with it?

      Thanks for the help
      I'd lease it rather than sell it

      Unless the offer to buy was silly - easy recurring income from leasing
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5329036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesvick
    local backlinks do help. the best places are find "country extension" + blogs to post comment and also find directories (local) for some backlinks. Also high pr domains can get you to top. If possible try and get few contextual backlinks in local language.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5329067].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author christiehemme
      Local business listing will work effectively.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356385].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    Look, Google hands you all the information you require and you don't need to use the keyword search tool they have to get it.

    Choose your main keyword phrase and then add your city modifier to it. City + Septic Tank whatever... ok...

    When the results display look on the bottom left of the results page and click the "RELATED SEARCHES" link and all the searches related to your main search will appear.

    Those are the additional searches that Google is telling you straight out that people are searching for in regards too the search you just made.

    You'll and to take each of those related searches and copy them to a notepad file and then proceed to search in Google for each of those and then also note what the related searches are for those too.

    Keep track of recurring or core searches as you go. If you see a certain phrase appearing as a "RELATED" search when you start searching all the suggested related searches this is what I call a core search phrase, so make sure to target this phrase highly on your site.

    A lot of people try and do all the offsite stuff in an effort to rank their sites and honestly its not needed if you lay the proper foundation on your site.

    The offsite stuff is tertiary and is ONLY used to underpin the solid foundation you've already taken the time to build on the site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5357039].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thefsboking
      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      Look, Google hands you all the information you require and you don't need to use the keyword search tool they have to get it.

      Choose your main keyword phrase and then add your city modifier to it. City + Septic Tank whatever... ok...

      When the results display look on the bottom left of the results page and click the "RELATED SEARCHES" link and all the searches related to your main search will appear.

      Those are the additional searches that Google is telling you straight out that people are searching for in regards too the search you just made.

      You'll and to take each of those related searches and copy them to a notepad file and then proceed to search in Google for each of those and then also note what the related searches are for those too.

      Keep track of recurring or core searches as you go. If you see a certain phrase appearing as a "RELATED" search when you start searching all the suggested related searches this is what I call a core search phrase, so make sure to target this phrase highly on your site.

      A lot of people try and do all the offsite stuff in an effort to rank their sites and honestly its not needed if you lay the proper foundation on your site.

      The offsite stuff is tertiary and is ONLY used to underpin the solid foundation you've already taken the time to build on the site.
      Awesome technique thanks Russ!
      Signature

      Mike Williams

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5362378].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nbroquis
    I agree with Enfusia in this case you would be better off going with a Google Places listing.Your listing will show up in more areas if everything is done correctly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5358544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketman007
    i am so glad russ wrote that message, saves me to write some of the basics.

    here is a case study for you where i went after the "water damage" market in sydney australia. the search volume is not that important as long as you know by some basic logic of business, that there is market searching for that keyword AND the value of the product or service is high, to have a high profit margin. the search results for this are low, but the value of a job is high. i have dominated google with about 20 keywords, and on some of the main keywords, have 4-3 results per listings.

    i track the calls thru a trackable 1300 number. the site was leased for $3k/month, and monthly rental for $750/month by simply emailing the top 20 people on google in that niche. one replied and was sold to 30 min later.

    as far as the website concerned, good solid foundations as russ said, with some back links to each page all it took to hold this position and dominate this market. you can check the site to see how its structured: waterdamagesydney.com.au
    Signature

    Interested in boosting your Online Marketing Presence? I can show you HOW.
    About Me | Our Team | SEO | Webb Apps | Internet Venture Technology

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KaterSD
    so are you guys saying that you basically use related keywords on your website to have it ranked?
    Signature
    Follow The Beginning of My Online Income Journey at:
    The Struggle2Freedom
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HypeText
    Originally Posted by thefsboking View Post

    I am building sites to generate local leads for different niches. I am currently stumped trying to figure out how to market for septic service (tank cleaning, inspections, etc.). There are no local search nubers that display on Google's keyword tool. I have local pages ninja but don't want to look to spammy to the client. I really need to rank for the local cities and counties. Any suggestions on how I should build the site or sites?
    Thats a pretty crappy niche!

    Ok, I admit it...that was bad....

    but I just couldnt resist the opportunity for a good double entendre!
    Signature
    (916) 520-HYPE (4973)
    Local & Mobile Marketing Solutions
    $0 Setup & $99/mnth Private Label Reseller Accts
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinG30
    Thanks for the incite. Another question I have is what do you essentially build the site around to get leads? Like do you just place the business info on the main page? Also what's usually the going rate on leasing a site to someone?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369256].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author marketman007
      Originally Posted by JustinG30 View Post

      T Another question I have is what do you essentially build the site around to get leads? Like do you just place the business info on the main page? Also what's usually the going rate on leasing a site to someone?

      just phone number on top of site and contact us page, and forward that phone number to the business number you leasing it too.

      the selling rate is based on the value of a client sale and number of calls the site generates per day or week. so get your traffic first, then the number of calls, then you can come up with a fair price. then lower that price to make it a good deal, so the person has to take the site off you over the competitors.

      this is the email i sent out to the people in that niche:

      Hi Water Damage Business Owner,


      This email has been sent to only 20 "Water Damage" Businesses at the same time (9am Monday) to let you know we have one website: Water Damage? Water Damage Restoration, Remediation Services Sydney that we wish to exclusively lease to you that has Page 1 Positions on the mighty Google for the following keywords:

      • water damage sydney

      • water damage services

      • water damage restoration

      • water damage remediation

      • flood damage Sydney

      • water extraction

      • water damage repairs

      • flood restoration Sydney

      • water removal

      • water damaged

      • water damage

      • flood damaged

      To save you time verifying this yourself, here is a 45 sec proof video for you to see these positions:


      Now you can imagine how many high quality leads that are calling this website every day from dominating page 1 on Google.

      We also have 20 more keywords that are on page 2 and 3 right now, that in approx 3-4 months time, will be on page 1 as well.

      If you want to have this 1300 number

      forwarded to your business, and even brand this website with your company logo if you wish,

      because you see that we are obviously dominating goggle for these keywords,

      then take hold of this once off website leasing arrangement before your competition does by securing the site as yours by hitting the paypal button in this email


      Price:
      • Once Off Holding Payment: $3000
      https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=F727PQ3X32SA6

      • $750/month (paid monthly starting in 30 days time)

      Only one person can have this website, so its first in best dressed to secure this site by clicking on the above paypal buy button to pay for it.

      Good Luck

      Dan Mac
      Signature

      Interested in boosting your Online Marketing Presence? I can show you HOW.
      About Me | Our Team | SEO | Webb Apps | Internet Venture Technology

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinG30
    Thanks for the info. Question though. Do you go out yourself and register a phone number and put that on the page and take the phone calls initially to see how many people call? What do you tell those people who call? Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369415].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author marketman007
      Originally Posted by JustinG30 View Post

      Thanks for the info. Question though. Do you go out yourself and register a phone number and put that on the page and take the phone calls initially to see how many people call? What do you tell those people who call? Thanks!
      i buy a number thru skype. i leave a recorded message and dont answer the calls.

      its not about taking the calls, its about tracking how many calls you get, and then selling that site to a business owner so he can take the calls.
      Signature

      Interested in boosting your Online Marketing Presence? I can show you HOW.
      About Me | Our Team | SEO | Webb Apps | Internet Venture Technology

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5370173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinG30
    Also, do you have a copy of the video you do i could check out?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369421].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thefsboking
    marketman007 your techniques is awesome. Please explain to me how the once off holding payment would work. I prefer monthly payments.

    Also how do you rank one site for so many keywords? SEO plugin + backlinks? Please enlighten me as I feel your tips are the icing on the cake for removing my roadblock.
    Signature

    Mike Williams

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369425].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author marketman007
      Originally Posted by thefsboking View Post

      marketman007 your techniques is awesome. Please explain to me how the once off holding payment would work. I prefer monthly payments.

      Also how do you rank one site for so many keywords? SEO plugin + backlinks? Please enlighten me as I feel your tips are the icing on the cake for removing my roadblock.
      they click on the link and pay once as a deposti. then i take the credit card and they monthly $750. so i do get monthly payments, thats the whole point.

      the once off covers the cost to build the site and get all the content.

      look at the site map, and you will see how i rank for so many keywords, one page per keyword.

      we can always build these types of sites for you, if you wish, just an idea..
      Signature

      Interested in boosting your Online Marketing Presence? I can show you HOW.
      About Me | Our Team | SEO | Webb Apps | Internet Venture Technology

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5370189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author raghav01
    Yes i agree with this , you can find the nearest word with the keyword septic tanks And Using Broad for you to recognize the number of competition of the keywords.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369685].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thefsboking
    marketman007 your technique is excellent and the video would surely blow me away as a local business owner for water damage services.

    Two questions for you.

    1. How do you manage to create different Google Places listings? Are you using UPS mailboxes?

    2. Do you create a different site for the other Google Places listing or does it just redirect to waterdamagesydney.com.au?
    Signature

    Mike Williams

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5379806].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author juice
      Focus on "septic emergency" problems as people that need septic pump outs usually have a back up in their shower, etc. Also, remember that a septic company's big revenue is in replacing the drain field. An average pumpout can go for $250, but a drain field replacement is in the thousands.

      CB
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5380631].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author marketman007
      Originally Posted by thefsboking View Post

      marketman007 your technique is excellent and the video would surely blow me away as a local business owner for water damage services.

      Two questions for you.

      1. How do you manage to create different Google Places listings? Are you using UPS mailboxes?

      2. Do you create a different site for the other Google Places listing or does it just redirect to waterdamagesydney.com.au?
      1. yes, virtual address and other techniques to get around the postal system.

      2. it redirects and as you can see , it works. That was one of my tests.


      Video: that was the plan. We are rolling out many markets we are going after with this strategy.

      Since we have this process mapped out and rolling out as many sites as we can with the funds we have for this strategy, I thought to price out the cost if we were to do it for you. here are all the components/features that it takes to build a 100% complete Lead Gen For Local Business Site. it will take approx 2 months to complete the site 100% with all the seo content and linking starting.


      Website Build:

      • From scratch $1000


      On Page SEO:

      • SEO Competition keyword analysis to identify best 15 keywords
      • Article creation - on page content, linking articles
      • html work
      • project manager
      • set up tracking phone number

      • $1000 - once off


      On Page SEO:

      1. One way linking for 15 keywords
      2. Seo keyword ranking report - monthly

      3. $200/month - When on page SEO is 100% complete


      Bonuses:

      1. help to sell the local leads site
      2. training on how to do your own google places
      Signature

      Interested in boosting your Online Marketing Presence? I can show you HOW.
      About Me | Our Team | SEO | Webb Apps | Internet Venture Technology

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5382240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thefsboking
    Anyone have any recommendations for finding high PR relevant backlinks? I realy would prefer to have a permanent link that is high PR and relevant versus some of the links from Fiverr that are here today and gone tommorrow. It really doesn't take a lot of links for some local niches.
    Signature

    Mike Williams

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390509].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author saba12
      Hello thefsboking I think backlinks from high pr relevant forum site is very effective. you can try this. It may help you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinG30
    Anyone know of any good WSO on renting sites more in depth?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5407762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stewane
    scrapebox is a great tool for finding high PR backlinks. Linkadage.com - rent links. You can search here on the forum for services provided in order to find better deals IMO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5425578].message }}

Trending Topics