My goal this month is to make an extra 4k of NEW business. I know 4k doesn’t sound like a lot, but:
- I chose a value that even newbies could attain
- I have a crap load of other stuff to do (existing clients)
- Its a good round number
- I wont count any income that comes from pre-existing clients (referrals, deals already in the pipeline, etc...), this has to be NEW
- No excuses - being busy with my existing clients is not an excuse... having a hot wife that is distracting is not an excuse (its a good one though, ha), etc...
- I will spend at least 5 minutes a day updating everyone (whether here or twitter: https://twitter.com/offlinepeter - I created that account just for this)
I own a small business in the Midwest (USA) where I do mostly marketing and web development. Most of my clients are referrals from other clients. This is great because they are basically pre-sold, but also sucks because I can’t just flip a switch to get more clients.
Like many, I’ve always struggled getting new clients. I’ve never had any formal sales training and am just not all that good at it, probably because I don’t put much time into it. Once I get a client I almost never loose them, but getting them is tough.
My Simple Plan:
I’m just going to do the basics, direct mail and calling. Cold calling sucks... but if you send a letter first, its no longer cold... its lukewarm.
I'll be selling web development, PPC management, SMS, and email marketing.... just so you know.
So here it is:
1. Send 30+ letters a day to businesses OR cold call 50+ businesses a day
I have a list of qualifiers, so I won’t just be blasting everyone, but I’ll be targeting people who have:
- done groupons
- used yellow pages/dex
- used valpak
- done PPC advertizing
2. Call each business after a couple days
I’ll say this just so everyone knows... cold calling sucks, it works, but sucks. My little “trick” that makes it way less painful is sending the letter first. Then when your talking to the gatekeeper and owner, you can simply say, “I sent you a letter and was just checking on it” or “its in regards to the letter I sent”.
3. Setup my own mailout:
I’m talking about something like: http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...onth-hero.html
I’ve been trying to think of a way to get those never-done-internet-but-done-lots-of-yellowpages-newspaper-direct-mail businesses to easily become clients before stepping them into the world of the internet. This is it. You get clients that trust you using methods they already know work (direct mail, this is where targeting valpak businesses comes in), and then have them integrate “newer” techniques with the old school, ie SMS, email marketing, PPC, etc...
So what do I need the warriors for?
One word... accountability.
I recently lost 16 lbs because I entered in to a competition with a buddy. Basically whoever didnt make the weight loss goals every week, was punished by waking up at 5:30AM to workout for the next week... YUCK
This is the same thing, I’m using ALL OF YOU as my motivation and accountability partners.
So what I need is for you to yell at me if I don’t get things done. When was the last time someone actually wanted to you to yell at them when they screwed up .
Subscribe to this thread, and follow me on twitter... https://twitter.com/offlinepeter