Had a great meeting with a local magazine today....here's the plan.

by 512 Designs 27 replies
In a previous post I mentioned talking to a local magazine sales rep about having her get me in front of her advertisers (local businesses) by offering QR Codes in their ads.

Well, today I had a meeting with the magazine owner and it went great. She loved the idea and how it will make their magazine stand out from their competition.

Basically, the deal is that the magazine will offer a free QR Code to their print advertisers that will go to one of the following...

1. A three page mobile site
2. A one page mobile coupon
3. An online video that they've already created
4. A mobile business card.

I will then create the QR Code and one of those 4 items for free for the advertiser. But in return the magazine will tell them that if they want anything more robust or need any other type of online service, they need to contact me directly. They will also give my information pack (in person and by email) to the advertiser which will describe all of my other services.

So basically I'm using the magazine reps to help me get my foot in the door and in front of these businesses. And since they already know and trust the magazine, then by association, they should trust and eventually get to know me

There are roughly 200 advertisers they deal with and a lot of them are in the health or education profession (doctors, chiropractors, dentists, private schools, etc.).

I guess you can say that I just recruited my own sales team that will work for zero commission The only thing it will cost me is the short amount of time to create the QR Code and whatever it does.

Hope this sparks some ideas for you guys.

Mike
#offline marketing #great #local #magazine #meeting #plan #todayhere
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Awesomo
    thanks for this business idea Mike!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5464506].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tousen
    Thank you for this business idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5464554].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jbpatlanta
      What a great idea. I was just chatting with the owner of a local magazine the other day. Now I have a reason to call him back.

      Thanks.

      JBP
      Signature

      "DO or DO NOT. There is NO try!" -- Yoda

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5464636].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author juice
        Great concept Mike! I am going to run with this as well and offer them a choice of the following items;

        1). Facebook Business Page
        2). Google Plus Business Page
        3). 3 Page Mobile Website

        This concept is a truly a winner and sure beats pounding the pavement, which I personally find very effective but hard to scale.

        Thanks for sharing
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5465145].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author 512 Designs
          I'm glad you all like this idea and I'm really excited about it.

          In my mind, I now have 2 of my own sales reps (that are employed by the magazine) hitting the streets for me and opening business owner's doors. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

          And please keep me posted on your results if you try this too.

          Mike
          Signature
          Let Me Show You How You Can Turn Your
          Existing PLR CONTENT Into CASH MONEY
          In Dozens Of Different Ways!
          CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5466023].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel LaRusso
    Originally Posted by 512 Designs View Post

    In a previous post I mentioned talking to a local magazine sales rep about having her get me in front of her advertisers (local businesses) by offering QR Codes in their ads.

    Well, today I had a meeting with the magazine owner and it went great. She loved the idea and how it will make their magazine stand out from their competition.

    Basically, the deal is that the magazine will offer a free QR Code to their print advertisers that will go to one of the following...

    1. A three page mobile site
    2. A one page mobile coupon
    3. An online video that they've already created
    4. A mobile business card.

    I will then create the QR Code and one of those 4 items for free for the advertiser. But in return the magazine will tell them that if they want anything more robust or need any other type of online service, they need to contact me directly. They will also give my information pack (in person and by email) to the advertiser which will describe all of my other services.

    So basically I'm using the magazine reps to help me get my foot in the door and in front of these businesses. And since they already know and trust the magazine, then by association, they should trust and eventually get to know me

    There are roughly 200 advertisers they deal with and a lot of them are in the health or education profession (doctors, chiropractors, dentists, private schools, etc.).

    I guess you can say that I just recruited my own sales team that will work for zero commission The only thing it will cost me is the short amount of time to create the QR Code and whatever it does.

    Hope this sparks some ideas for you guys.

    Mike
    Fantastic idea!

    I do want to ask one thing. The 4 things you direct people to when they scan the QR code - you do those for free, so your revenue from this could come in quite some time or possibly never, right?

    What if you did what you're saying, and instead of doing it for free, gave a 50% commission to the magazine owner if a business bought, say, a $400 mobile website from you? Then, the QR code (which will be the freebie) can send people to a coupon page which is one page of their newly purchased $400 mobile website, of which you got $200 and the magazine owner got $200?

    Basically, you'd make a FREE QR code to enhance the current ad, and monetize the 4 services you offer.
    Signature

    It is unwise to trust all you read on the internet.
    - Benjamin Franklin

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5466129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author korker
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5466180].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ronr
      Great idea but just wondering.

      Are you giving away more than you need to?

      What about just offering just a free QR code that would take readers to the advertisers website or any web page they wanted.

      Wouldn't that be be enough?

      Then you could charge a something even if it was small to have the QR take them to a one page offer or coupon you created.

      again just wondering.

      Ron
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5466216].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author 512 Designs
        Originally Posted by Daniel LaRusso View Post

        Fantastic idea!

        I do want to ask one thing. The 4 things you direct people to when they scan the QR code - you do those for free, so your revenue from this could come in quite some time or possibly never, right?

        What if you did what you're saying, and instead of doing it for free, gave a 50% commission to the magazine owner if a business bought, say, a $400 mobile website from you? Then, the QR code (which will be the freebie) can send people to a coupon page which is one page of their newly purchased $400 mobile website, of which you got $200 and the magazine owner got $200?

        Basically, you'd make a FREE QR code to enhance the current ad, and monetize the 4 services you offer.
        You could certainly try it, but I didn't want to over complicate this. All the sales reps want to do is offer a new free service to the advertisers. The goals are for them to add value to the print ads and for me to get my foot in the door. Making it too complicated to begin with would just confuse the business owner.

        Originally Posted by ronr View Post

        Great idea but just wondering.

        Are you giving away more than you need to?

        What about just offering just a free QR code that would take readers to the advertisers website or any web page they wanted.

        Wouldn't that be be enough?

        Then you could charge a something even if it was small to have the QR take them to a one page offer or coupon you created.

        again just wondering.

        Ron
        One of my main gripes is when a QR code goes to a regular web page (not mobile optimized). By offering just a 3 page mobile site, I'm hoping the business owner will say something like "I'd like the mobile site to do even more". Then that's when I'll come in

        For me, this idea is for lead generation and getting my foot in the door without having to cold call or pound the pavement as much. Not for getting a quick sale. I guess you could say it's similar to making a demo mobile site before an appointment. You're hoping that the demo site will lead to a full blown site.

        However, if you can make some immediate money from this idea, by all means go for it I just wanted to get your creative juices started.

        Mike
        Signature
        Let Me Show You How You Can Turn Your
        Existing PLR CONTENT Into CASH MONEY
        In Dozens Of Different Ways!
        CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5466341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mickmccrory
    Great idea, thanks for the info.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5466349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    Soft money sales is a great way to make money. Why not even charge the magazine a "bulk discounted rate" to offer this stuff free to their customers. This works w/ many businesses. Any business that provides services to other businesses could be soft money targets. Banks, accountants, insurance agents etc Those businesses have advertising budgets and spend money to acquire customers too. ....they will pay for these customer "freebies" to offer to new customers AND you get to upgrade the customers.

    Just a thought after your first pilot project test. Good luck!

    As you said, its a great way to get warm intros and have a cheap (or even they pay you virtual sales force/lead generators.
    Signature

    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt "Trust, BUT VERIFY" ~ Ronald Reagan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5472486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Keith Green
    great idea Mike. Thanks for sharing this informational stuff. Will wait for more informational threads like this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5481362].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 512 Designs
      So here's an update to this Free QR Code deal I made with the local magazine rep.

      So far (for the last week) she's been out explaining this offer and I've received 13 free QR Code order forms from local businesses from the sales rep. These order forms are golden because they include the business contact person, name, phone number, and email.

      Plus the ad rep is telling everyone that I'm the one creating the backend for the QR Code, so when I call them, they'll already know who I am. Instant credible foot in the door.

      Well, today I had to call one business owner because he didn't know what a QR code was and doesn't own a smart phone. He told me that he doesn't even know what a website looks like on a smart phone.

      So guess what? I set up an appointment on Monday to stop by and show him. His particular QR Code is going to his regular website but I explained to him that it's better to have it go to something mobile friendly. So I told him that while I'm there, I'll show him what a mobile site looks like and he seemed real interested.

      He's also designing his own regular website and asked me if I knew anything about Wordpress or how to use Filezilla. I said sure and offered to help him (probably for free if it's not a big deal) to build our business relationship.

      Now this particular business is a golf driving range and has a Jr Golf Team. Hmmmm. Looks like onilne videos may be in their future as well

      I'll be contacting all of the businesses as a follow up once the magazine goes out the first of March to get their feedback and hopefully get some appointments for other stuff.

      I'll keep you posted.

      Mike
      Signature
      Let Me Show You How You Can Turn Your
      Existing PLR CONTENT Into CASH MONEY
      In Dozens Of Different Ways!
      CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5639256].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbishop
        Originally Posted by 512 Designs View Post

        So guess what? I set up an appointment on Monday to stop by and show him. His particular QR Code is going to his regular website but I explained to him that it's better to have it go to something mobile friendly. So I told him that while I'm there, I'll show him what a mobile site looks like and he seemed real interested.

        If you were offering just the free QR codes, all of them would be pointed to normal websites.

        Every time they sell an ad you call up and say I need to set up your QR Code where do you want it to go to. Well I noticed that your site does not work on mobile devices. I normally carge $297 to build a mobile version of your site, but because you are advertising with "Magazine" I can build you one for $97

        you get the idea DON"T GIVE AWAY THE FARM!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5639431].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author 512 Designs
          Originally Posted by sbishop View Post

          If you were offering just the free QR codes, all of them would be pointed to normal websites.

          Every time they sell an ad you call up and say I need to set up your QR Code where do you want it to go to. Well I noticed that your site does not work on mobile devices. I normally carge $297 to build a mobile version of your site, but because you are advertising with "Magazine" I can build you one for $97

          you get the idea DON"T GIVE AWAY THE FARM!
          Oh...I'm not building an entire mobile site for free. The free one is a simple 2 page site with a small splash page with phone number and a map. Any upgrades will cost them.

          I do like your wording for the upsell, though. I'll have to use that.

          Also, I was told today by the sales rep that most of the advertisers don't even know what a QR code is, so once it's printed in the magazine, it will give me a reason to stop by the businesses, show them what it does, and upsell them for the following month's ad. I'll be able to show them the possibilities better than the sales rep currently does. I guess you could say we're taking baby steps with the businesses now....but that will change soon.

          Mike
          Signature
          Let Me Show You How You Can Turn Your
          Existing PLR CONTENT Into CASH MONEY
          In Dozens Of Different Ways!
          CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5639471].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author mojo1
            This has turned out to be rather promising.

            In my local city, one of the local coupon mailers have already gotten hip to this.

            Right smack in the middle of the mailer there's a page dedicated to QR code advertisement.
            It seems that every other merchant in this mailer now has a qr code on their advertisement.

            It would appear the time is ripe for approaching these types of companies for partnerships.

            Thanks for this post and sparking a multitude of ideas.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640078].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author 512 Designs
              Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post

              This has turned out to be rather promising.

              In my local city, one of the local coupon mailers have already gotten hip to this.

              Right smack in the middle of the mailer there's a page dedicated to QR code advertisement.
              It seems that every other merchant in this mailer now has a qr code on their advertisement.

              It would appear the time is ripe for approaching these types of companies for partnerships.

              Thanks for this post and sparking a multitude of ideas.
              I'm sure some cities are more advanced with QR Codes than others. According to the sales rep, most of the advertisers she's talked to have no idea what a QR code is or does. But then again, I live in a city where if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know till a week later.

              But I agree that we're in the beginning stages of something big so if I (or you, or anyone else in the offline marketing world) can become the official educator of QR Codes with local businesses, we'll be sitting pretty in a few years.

              Mike
              Signature
              Let Me Show You How You Can Turn Your
              Existing PLR CONTENT Into CASH MONEY
              In Dozens Of Different Ways!
              CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640421].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author 512 Designs
                Oh. I forgot to mention this !!!!!!

                I was at a networking group meeting this morning and the magazine sales rep was there.

                She told me that since this is a success so far and I've been so helpful with their advertisers, they are giving me a 1/6 page color ad in the next month's magazine (and hopefully more after that).

                So now I'll be advertising to over 20,000 people and businesses.....FOR FREE!!!!!

                Mike
                Signature
                Let Me Show You How You Can Turn Your
                Existing PLR CONTENT Into CASH MONEY
                In Dozens Of Different Ways!
                CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640450].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author BizGrabbers
                  Originally Posted by 512 Designs View Post

                  Oh. I forgot to mention this !!!!!!

                  I was at a networking group meeting this morning and the magazine sales rep was there.

                  She told me that since this is a success so far and I've been so helpful with their advertisers, they are giving me a 1/6 page color ad in the next month's magazine (and hopefully more after that).

                  So now I'll be advertising to over 20,000 people and businesses.....FOR FREE!!!!!

                  Mike
                  A M A Z I N G ! ! !

                  This post really made me smile with wide open eyes.

                  Thanks, Mike, for sharing.
                  Signature
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5681373].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Benjam1n
        Originally Posted by 512 Designs View Post

        She told me that since this is a success so far and I've been so helpful with their advertisers, they are giving me a 1/6 page color ad in the next month's magazine (and hopefully more after that).

        So now I'll be advertising to over 20,000 people and businesses.....FOR FREE!!!!!

        Mike
        That is awesome, what are you going to put in the ad, maybe run with the same offer that's worked for you so well already "FREE QR code for your business"

        Originally Posted by 512 Designs View Post


        So far (for the last week) she's been out explaining this offer and I've received 13 free QR Code order forms from local businesses from the sales rep. These order forms are golden because they include the business contact person, name, phone number, and email.


        Mike
        Thats gold dust, like the old saying goes, you have to speculate to accumulate. What a great strategy.

        Good luck!!
        Signature

        "You become what you think about most of the time" - Think BIG!!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5641305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author somacorellc
    Great job! I'm slowly but surely working towards the same thing with my state's biggest newspaper. Talk about bureaucracy. I wish you all the best - keep us posted!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5639394].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Quentin
    Link it up with some QR Code tracking and you will close a lot more deals.

    Membership options

    Q
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640218].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 512 Designs
      Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

      Link it up with some QR Code tracking and you will close a lot more deals.

      Membership options

      Q
      Thanks Quentin. I tried scanning the QR Code in one of your previous posts about the tracking but it never worked. My scanner just kept bouncing around the little blue dots but never did anything.

      I would like to here more details about what you're offering, though.

      Mike
      Signature
      Let Me Show You How You Can Turn Your
      Existing PLR CONTENT Into CASH MONEY
      In Dozens Of Different Ways!
      CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Das Ich
    Congrats! That's a great way to approach potential clients for mobile sites, thanks for sharing! As it is for free, it is for once not a problem that most people don't know about QR codes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5641757].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    512, you will probably want the magazine to dedicate a section to familiarize readers w/ QR codes. Maybe a few different spots, how to d/l the apps etc.... There will be plenty of readers that will be new to them as well.

    Good job!
    Signature

    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt "Trust, BUT VERIFY" ~ Ronald Reagan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5681971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Russel Mogul
    This is a superb idea, I'm subscribing to this thread .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5682353].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DJL
      I see almost a year has gone by since this lonely thread was updated.
      Maybe the world has ended, and the news hasn't reached my neighborhood yet?
      Signature

      None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
      --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Elective Affinities (1809)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647931].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DJL
      Duplicate post.
      Signature

      None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
      --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Elective Affinities (1809)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647968].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics