I'm On A FREAKING ROLL! The 8 Minute Sale On My Way To Lunch!

38 replies
This is going to be short and sweet, at least I think it is, but we'll see if it is after I finish typing. This is mostly to slightly brag but also to give motivation to the rest of you that don't see opportunity all around you, and those that do see the opportunity but do nothing about it.

I was hungry, had a coupon for some subway and was on my way. Brought my big legal pad with me, it is my best friend and I have stacks and stacks of used legal pads with thoughts, plans, strategies, random numbers, etc. I bring it with me everywhere I go because you never know when you will have this ground breaking idea, or thought you want to implement.

I was at a stop light in my own little world, I see an SUV with a vinyl wrap on the back advertising some tree removal service. I didn't think anything of it except the play on words it had in its slogan which cracked me up. Next stop light I decide to write down the number, because they didn't have a website advertised on the back of the SUV. Come to think of it... it wasn't an SUV, it was a truck with a camper shell. Hmm. Anyway, was writing down the number to give them a call later on.

Suddenly, I think to myself... why later? I'm bored right now, and all I have to do now is drive and have my crazy thoughts race through my brain(scary place to be). So I decide, why not call him right now? It looks like it might be the owner, I'll try my luck.

I dial the number, I have about 5 minutes to get to subway anyway, maybe I'll have some entertaining conversation while pitching him. The person answers, turns out it was the owner and his business line I guess is his cell phone, so that's cool. Pitched him... not even a single rebuttal, he says, "This sounds great, let's do it!".. I had him ready to go for a very basic site... so I offer a couple different plans. I told him that a lot of people that don't currently have a website are perfectly fine with a basic site for starters and then later on building on top of that. The problem is, your competitors websites are basic too, we can get you started with a more complete website. He says, "Yeah, how much"? We went from a $800 website, to $1,600 in just a minute. I asked him when he would like to move forward, I can accept the payment right now over the phone..

Luckily... I had my legal pad and pen, to take down all the information. He paid, WHILE DRIVING! I went into subway and got my lunch, went home to process the payment. Followed up with him just to let him know I sent an email with the receipt and invoice and will be following up with him in the next couple days to go through the design of the website. He was ecstatic.

1.) I saw someone who may or may not need a website.
2.) I called him.
3.) I closed the deal

This guy was so willing, and excited about what I have to offer. Of course, not EVERYONE is going to be as excited and willing, but this goes to show, there are people like that out there. You putting off whatever method you use to go after these people, is an awful thing to do. Not awful for your sales, but awful that you have a service that can help someone that is in need, but you aren't willing to make the effort!

These people are out there... You need to find them, they aren't always going to come to you, you need to get in front of them!
#freaking #lunch #minute #roll #sale
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Congrats on the success and having the smarts to make the call, even though talking and driving is not the best idea. It's illegal here. Not sure about there though.
    Seized opportunities are great when they work out and if he said no, there's no loss because you at least tried.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Visit my site for more info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author romesaranto
    Nice, that's awesome!! Great story and great advice!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
    When i got done reading i had a cartoon vision of 2 things...

    A) you being the infamous "red light stalker "

    B) a soon to be released wso on how to find new business
    by stalking drive thru's with a legal pad and binoculars...

    Good stuff steve ooops, i mean nathan
    Signature

    Selling Ain't for Sissies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081490].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MonteMichaels
      Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

      When i got done reading i had a cartoon vision of 2 things...

      A) you being the infamous "red light stalker "

      B) a soon to be released wso on how to find new business
      by stalking drive thru's with a legal pad and binoculars...

      Good stuff steve ooops, i mean nathan
      I see him being like an ambulance chaser now. He is going to be a vehicle wrap chaser!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081501].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lesley Huntley
    Totally awesome, very motivating. Seize the moment! My new thought for the day. Congrats!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081495].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PhilaPM
    Do mind sharing with us what your pitch is?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Carl Fridsjö
    Great job man obviously, I'm curious about exactly what kind of value did you add to make it 800$ -> 1600$?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DNChamp
    I like the sound of this BUT (yea negative nancy here) what person honestly will give out credit card info over the phone to a cold caller? I assume you got cc info and if Im wrong then my bad.

    I think this is where I stop myself. I place myself in there shoes. If I get a call that says "hey you need a website, $800" I dont go ok here is my cc info. I would first look them up, check out references etc. I dont mean to be a ******* and i WISH I could do it the way you do, I just see myself not able to view a stranger giving me cc info over the phone like that.

    Again this is not a diss to you I WISH I was you LOL It just baffles me that this is done like this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081616].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
      Originally Posted by DNChamp View Post

      I like the sound of this BUT (yea negative nancy here) what person honestly will give out credit card info over the phone to a cold caller? I assume you got cc info and if Im wrong then my bad.

      I think this is where I stop myself. I place myself in there shoes. If I get a call that says "hey you need a website, $800" I dont go ok here is my cc info. I would first look them up, check out references etc. I dont mean to be a ******* and i WISH I could do it the way you do, I just see myself not able to view a stranger giving me cc info over the phone like that.

      Again this is not a diss to you I WISH I was you LOL It just baffles me that this is done like this.
      Lots of them, every day.

      Have you tried to sell one call closes? Sounds to me like you
      want to, but, your getting in your own way.

      Just because you wont give someone your money before checking them out,
      doesn't mean the 3 billion other people wont.

      and that is where you make your money.
      Signature

      Selling Ain't for Sissies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081659].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MonteMichaels
        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        Lots of them, every day.

        Have you tried to sell one call closes? Sounds to me like you
        want to, but, your getting in your own way.

        Just because you wont give someone your money before checking them out,
        doesn't mean the 3 billion other people wont.

        and that is where you make your money.
        Or has tried one call closes and gave up after 10 calls.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081688].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nik0
          Banned
          Awesome story, I should get on the freaking phone way more often as well, you can charge just that much more to offline clients then online.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by DNChamp View Post

      I like the sound of this BUT (yea negative nancy here) what person honestly will give out credit card info over the phone to a cold caller? I assume you got cc info and if Im wrong then my bad.

      I think this is where I stop myself. I place myself in there shoes. If I get a call that says "hey you need a website, $800" I dont go ok here is my cc info. I would first look them up, check out references etc. I dont mean to be a ******* and i WISH I could do it the way you do, I just see myself not able to view a stranger giving me cc info over the phone like that.

      Again this is not a diss to you I WISH I was you LOL It just baffles me that this is done like this.
      I never really thought about it like that... maybe that's why I can do it, instead of having excuses fill my mind. I'm not sure if you have checked out one of my threads where I really explain how I got into this. It is either sell and make money, or go without eating, or living in a house. That is my mind set.

      Some people are hesitant to give their credit cards over the phone, some ask if they can send a check and then I just briefly explain that credit cards are MUCH safer than sending a check. These people are the rarity though.

      If someone owns a business and they see the value that you offer, they don't CARE... they WANT what you have and what you can do. I don't even really see it as selling anymore... I see it as generating interest, and capitalizing on that interest.

      You CAN do it like I do.. I don't have extensive sales training, what I have learned I have done myself. The thing is, I have done it, I have tried it. I have confidence and my clients or soon to be clients have confidence BECAUSE I have confidence. Make sense?

      If you approach a prospect, and you are very timid, and unsure of yourself, then why should they be sure of you if you aren't sure? Confidence is key... it can't be taught. You can't learn confidence from reading my posts, reading this forum, or buying WSO's... you only learn confidence by overcoming the roadblocks you have mentally put in front of you, and forcing them to come down. Until then, you're right, you will never be able to do what I do.

      When you call in to pay your powerbill, and you give your credit card information to the person on the other line, do you need a background check on the person? No.. you don't think anything of it.

      The excuse that you have formulated, is simply because you put it in your mind. It isn't because it is a legitimate excuse, if it were I wouldn't, and hundreds of other people wouldn't be accepting this payment through cold calling every day of the week.

      Excuses don't get you anywhere. There are enough obstacles and road blocks that come naturally in life... having your brain bring you more of those, is not going to help. It's time to change the train of thought and push down the barriers that separate you from success!

      I have no system to sell... I'm not selling a WSO... I'm not trying to build a list, I don't care about any of that crap because I don't NEED TO! I don't need a big internet following because I already have a big following of clients, and I practice what I preach. I promise you, everything I say is straight forward with no hidden agenda. If you follow the advice I give, among others... you WILL have results.. you will have your own offline business. The question is do you have the balls to try?


      EDIT: I think this post might end up being more valuable than the OP. LOL.

      Carl, to answer your question about value.. not much, to be honest. Just a prettier design, slideshow, a contact form which was already included but he didn't know that.. google analytics ( i just explained it as a monthly traffic report ).. hmm what else.. oh, search engine submission..free .com domain registration.. and that's pretty much it..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081686].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        When i got done reading i had a cartoon vision of 2 things...

        A) you being the infamous "red light stalker "

        B) a soon to be released wso on how to find new business
        by stalking drive thru's with a legal pad and binoculars...

        Good stuff steve ooops, i mean nathan
        Damnit... why do you have to tell everyone my name, LOL.

        Think about the possibilities though, especially if you have a decent drive, like 30-45 minutes.. I used to smoke the time away, but after quitting, I need something to do. I'm going to cold call every business while I'm driving. What else is there to do?

        Originally Posted by MonteMichaels View Post

        I see him being like an ambulance chaser now. He is going to be a vehicle wrap chaser!
        It's not a bad idea... or stalk them until they get out of the car, and pitch them face to face. That might scare people away though... but I think some would respect the tenacity.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081704].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        I have no system to sell... I'm not selling a WSO... I'm not trying to build a list, I don't care about any of that crap because I don't NEED TO! I don't need a big internet following because I already have a big following of clients, and I practice what I preach.
        There are certain people on this board, that provide rock solid
        information on a regular basis, they also provide a helping hand
        to those that need it and are obviously looking out for more then
        themselves.

        I don't think these people need to justify themselves or provide any
        type disclaimer.

        I believe you are one of these people.

        When you start making statements like that, eventually it can cause self doubt, and throw you off your game.

        That might sound like a load of crap, but i promise. One day you
        will be like... o that's what he means...
        Signature

        Selling Ain't for Sissies
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081765].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

          There are certain people on this board, that provide rock solid
          information on a regular basis, they also provide a helping hand
          to those that need it and are obviously looking out for more then
          themselves.

          I don't think these people need to justify themselves or provide any
          type disclaimer.

          I believe you are one of these people.

          When you start making statements like that, eventually it can cause self doubt, and throw you off your game.

          That might sound like a load of crap, but i promise. One day you
          will be like... o that's what he means...
          I was just stressing the point because I already received a few PMs asking if I will release a WSO. It isn't why I post or why I share, I just wanted to throw that out there to try and deflect a few PM's because my box almost always fills up to 100%

          And FFS... if I ever released one, I would build up the anticipation weeks before so much everyone would know, and set up reminders on their calendars. lol.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081787].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DNChamp
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        I never really thought about it like that... maybe that's why I can do it, instead of having excuses fill my mind. I'm not sure if you have checked out one of my threads where I really explain how I got into this. It is either sell and make money, or go without eating, or living in a house. That is my mind set.

        Some people are hesitant to give their credit cards over the phone, some ask if they can send a check and then I just briefly explain that credit cards are MUCH safer than sending a check. These people are the rarity though.

        If someone owns a business and they see the value that you offer, they don't CARE... they WANT what you have and what you can do. I don't even really see it as selling anymore... I see it as generating interest, and capitalizing on that interest.

        You CAN do it like I do.. I don't have extensive sales training, what I have learned I have done myself. The thing is, I have done it, I have tried it. I have confidence and my clients or soon to be clients have confidence BECAUSE I have confidence. Make sense?

        If you approach a prospect, and you are very timid, and unsure of yourself, then why should they be sure of you if you aren't sure? Confidence is key... it can't be taught. You can't learn confidence from reading my posts, reading this forum, or buying WSO's... you only learn confidence by overcoming the roadblocks you have mentally put in front of you, and forcing them to come down. Until then, you're right, you will never be able to do what I do.

        When you call in to pay your powerbill, and you give your credit card information to the person on the other line, do you need a background check on the person? No.. you don't think anything of it.

        The excuse that you have formulated, is simply because you put it in your mind. It isn't because it is a legitimate excuse, if it were I wouldn't, and hundreds of other people wouldn't be accepting this payment through cold calling every day of the week.

        Excuses don't get you anywhere. There are enough obstacles and road blocks that come naturally in life... having your brain bring you more of those, is not going to help. It's time to change the train of thought and push down the barriers that separate you from success!

        I have no system to sell... I'm not selling a WSO... I'm not trying to build a list, I don't care about any of that crap because I don't NEED TO! I don't need a big internet following because I already have a big following of clients, and I practice what I preach. I promise you, everything I say is straight forward with no hidden agenda. If you follow the advice I give, among others... you WILL have results.. you will have your own offline business. The question is do you have the balls to try?


        EDIT: I think this post might end up being more valuable than the OP. LOL.

        Carl, to answer your question about value.. not much, to be honest. Just a prettier design, slideshow, a contact form which was already included but he didn't know that.. google analytics ( i just explained it as a monthly traffic report ).. hmm what else.. oh, search engine submission..free .com domain registration.. and that's pretty much it..
        Your right. I do have confidence issues when it comes to cold calling. I work in call centers from collections to debt counseling to tech support. I see cc # and personal info everyday. I also seen so many people burned as well so yea I do have a block and trust issues. I trust myself but not others to much LOL. So at my 9-5 we do have a sales team and im gathering a few up to do the cold calling for me just because right now I cant do it and I admit it. I would sound like **** and not confident even though I know my work is good. Anyhow not to take away from your success as its always good to hear!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Deidra Renee
      Originally Posted by DNChamp View Post

      I like the sound of this BUT (yea negative nancy here) what person honestly will give out credit card info over the phone to a cold caller? I assume you got cc info and if Im wrong then my bad.

      I think this is where I stop myself. I place myself in there shoes. If I get a call that says "hey you need a website, $800" I dont go ok here is my cc info. I would first look them up, check out references etc. I dont mean to be a ******* and i WISH I could do it the way you do, I just see myself not able to view a stranger giving me cc info over the phone like that.

      Again this is not a diss to you I WISH I was you LOL It just baffles me that this is done like this.
      Try it and see how normal it really is. People give out their credit card info over the phone everyday. When you order something online do you personally know the person that created the form to put your cc info into or are you *taking a chance* on that website?

      There are callcenters all over the world that do it everyday and if you're going to say *well they already have an established name* that's not true. I worked in a callcenter with only me and 5 other callers and we closed sales over the phone all the time. A lot of things *sound* crazy until once you start doing it yourself and see that this stuff actually does work.

      I used to think it was crazy to call someone and ask for an appointment lol, but some things are better represented in person.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AussieT
    I recall hearing this suggestion in one of my early offline WSO purchases. i.e. phoning the number of a truck or van at a traffic light. But never tried it.

    Even if they are hesitant in paying by cc over the phone at least you have qualified them and can always meeting them later or send an invoice before starting the work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081768].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by AussieT View Post

      I recall hearing this suggestion in one of my early offline WSO purchases. i.e. phoning the number of a truck or van at a traffic light. But never tried it.

      Even if they are hesitant in paying by cc over the phone at least you have qualified them and can always meeting them later or send an invoice before starting the work.
      I can't believe someone would charge, for a suggestion of calling someone at a red light. LOL.

      The whole point, is that opportunity is everywhere in life, and if you have the motivation to take advantage of it you can push yourself and your business to a new level.

      I think I have marketers vision... everything I see I wonder how I can learn from it, acquire it, or take advantage of it. A simple sign, billboard, mailer, phone book ads, decals on windows, I wonder how I would improve it, I wonder if there is anything I can use from it to acquire new business.

      It's just having your eyes open and getting out there instead of being passive.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryan.arnfinson
    Nice work, dude...

    Drive safe!

    Ryan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6081928].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Sales Guy
      You are fearless, my man! And a $1,600 pop, no less So...

      I take it the point of your post was to say; "Lunch is on ME!" Good, I can go for a nice footlong right about now

      Congrats!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082080].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rbecklund
    So Cool! I've thought about doing this a few times but haven't...
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nathan Alexander
    That's awesome. And great of you to share. That's what people need to be reminded of, that there's opportunity everywhere.

    The difference between you and me?

    Legal pads? Yup, I got 'em. The small and big ones both. On my car seat.
    Note cards? Darn straight. Always taking notes.

    Heck...I even write down cars passing by like you do. I always notice those things. I write them down or dictate notes in my phone if I can't get to my notecard or pad while driving.

    My wife and son are even doing it for me. But the difference? I'm still the dummy with a long list of businesses to get around to contacting. You're out making money.

    Duh...the lists don't sell for me! Sure, I get around to sending some letters or video emails after more research. But there always seems to be a lot of research keeping me from finishing those lists.

    Seriously, I felt like I was reading about myself except when you got to the awesome part about the phone call. THAT's the way to do it. As you said, why wait?

    You've totally inspired me to stop waiting and just call. It's the shortest path to a sale in that situation.

    Thanks...and you can't go wrong with a name like Nathan.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082644].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ronr
      Hey Nameless how can you post a success story like that?

      Don't you know the new offline WSO rules You can't post a sucess story like that unless you drive around and call at least 100 other wrapped trucks. Actually better make it 500 trucks .. so you can report the real numbers.

      We wouldn't want to give some newbie the wrong idea that's it's going to be this easy every time.

      Ok now all kidding aside, thanks for posting this. A great example of how powerful confidence + compendence can be.

      Ron
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojo1
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082889].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 512 Designs
      Hey...wait a minute...

      You were talking on your cell phone while driving??? Isn't that illegal in some states?

      LOL...just kidding.

      Good job man. I gotta get a legal pad and keep it in my car. Never thought about writing down numbers from trucks that drive by.

      Mike
      Signature
      Let Me Show You How You Can Turn Your
      Existing PLR CONTENT Into CASH MONEY
      In Dozens Of Different Ways!
      CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
    Great call (excuse the pun) the business is out there, theres leads everywhere we look if you are open to them, this was a fantastic example of why he needed to give up smoking, if he'd have been smoking he'd have been busy relighting or something, instead, his mind was clear and he took the advantage.

    Now for scanning a QR code on the back of a truck whilst riding a GXR500 down the freeway ;-)
    Signature

    Mike

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6083996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imwarrior84
    Wow that what I call taking action on the spot. Thanks for sharing a great motivator
    Signature

    Please do not use affiliate links in signatures

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6084709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
    I was picturing you sneaking up on some guy on the phone with a butter fly net, time for a coffee!

    I would love to hear a recording of you on the phone pitching to see what you say and HOW you say it.

    Good job and there's no harm in bragging, you grabbed it by the balls (metaphorically of course ) and you deserve it for just doing it.

    Cheers for sharing, great story.

    Best,
    Steve

    (not Nathan )
    Signature
    "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6084989].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author globalpro
      Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

      I would love to hear a recording of you on the phone pitching to see what you say and HOW you say it.
      This ^^^, without a doubt.

      Thanks,

      John
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087348].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author StarkContrast
        The conversation probably went something like this: "Hi My name's Nathan and I saw your truck with the tree cutting service sticker on the back. Was that yours? Well, I noticed you didn't have a website listed, was there a reason for this? Perhaps I can help with that." Of course, a lot more sophisticated and suave than what I just said but that was the gist, is my guess. Yes?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087539].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author busterbuzz
        Originally Posted by globalpro View Post

        This ^^^, without a doubt.

        Thanks,

        John
        Yep, I agree too!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087769].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6085046].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jomina
    I use my wife in a similar way...

    She's a security guard at a lumber yard/hardware outlet, and has constant streams of contractors coming through. She just collects their info off of their cars/trucks or their point of sale reciepts

    I've yet to actually CALL any of them yet, though. Argh my Cold Calling Phobia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6085691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author debml
    Great post! I had a mentor who used to say, "Activity = Productivity."

    So often, we let our focus on the 'how we are going approach people' become a barrier to actually doing it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6086030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FreeLeadsKING
    Liked the story... Very motivational. Just shows you that things only happen when you are in motion...well in your case you were actually in motion...lol
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6086186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    I love your posts. I also love the negative replies they get at times because it shows people don't get why it worked.

    1. You took action. If more people took action they would close more.

    2. While it was a cold call it was a smart and local cold call. You saw soemone without a website and pitched them right away. You showed the owner you cared about his business. That you saw his truck and you could help him. This type of cold call IMO is almost a sure in to get at least a meeting. But if you get an owner like him who doesn't need to BS you can close them right away.

    On this forum we see too many people afraid to take action. Afraid to go local. And honestly IMO just afraid of "work". Building a business takes work and/or money to hire someone else to work.

    I really think at times people read Tim Ferriss and don't get the point. He wasn't telling people not to work. He was telling people to work smarter and hire people to do the easy but time wasting things.

    Plain and simple this is just another post that proves a point that as a group we have been telling those who are afraid for a long time. If you take action in a smart way you will make sales and build a business doing this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087205].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author creck01
    @David W Miller Lol it can be just that easy sometimes
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087604].message }}

Trending Topics