30 clients this month and I'm getting bored

by Bigj77
21 replies
I have a half hour to kill so I figure I will post with something that consistently gets me a lot of clients quickly.

Reading on this forum I see a lot of variety in post which is good but often the post in the offline section revolve around getting business owners on the web and getting them exposed to potential customers.

Before I dive in I'm 20 so I don't want to hear any complaints about how hard it is to close clients.

Ok so about a year ago (when I was 19. so young and hopeful, mostly before college expenses) I was getting into word press and mostly embedding picture and videos into sites. My sister is a competitive dancer which is not as impressive as it may sound. Basically she travels to convention centers and competes with other girls for a trophy, medal, ribbon, or something that symbolizes superiority.

It was her birthday and instead of buying her a present I decided to make her a dance portfolio.

You have to understand one thing, mothers love their daughters. So when the opportunity to buy professional photos of their child on stage performing comes up, they take that opportunity time and time again. I had professional photos and videos of her that I compiled using a word press portfolio theme.

It was a simple wordpress site with the following arrangement

Home Photos Videos About Ashleigh Experience

It took all of 3 hrs to complete and the result was actually very impressive.
She loved it and so did my mom.

So here I had a website a happy dancer and a happy mother. I also had a lust for money that I acted upon quickly.

I'm a psych/marketing major so I made some assumptions.
1. Other girls would be jealous of My sister
2. They would want what she had
3. They would most likely have no money, so who do they go to? " Hey dad Can I talk to you about a dance website ??" NO not going to happen. How about " Mom Ashleigh has this dance website its so cool can I get one too!" Or something to that effect.

Bam the idea is there. Now all I had to do was capitalize on it.
$300 for a nice ish projector. $80 for the screen. I borrowed a table and I set up in the lobby of my sisters dance studio.
It was a Tuesday so the competition groups were practicing and getting out around 8. Perfect. No girl wants to go home on a Tuesday night ( homework)
They sat in the lobby and talked with each other ( as did the moms ) and what did they hear?

"Let your star shine on the big screen"

They saw a professional website of my sister dancing and twirling online. The voice was a 30 second fiver gig I had ordered the week before lining the benefits of having a website portfolio.

Do you know what else they saw? They saw a dancing with the stars judge ( the same one that made a guest appearance at their last competition )
I managed to snag a few moments of his time and just asked him to comment on the originality of the sites idea. ( Clever huh )

You have a professional website
a professional voiceover
a television celebrity in the profession they are in commenting on how cool the site was.

Guess who got a bunch of orders?

I took it a step further with some upsells.
Upsell #1 : I can keep the site up to date for you during the competition season. $199 a month per dancer
Upsell #2 : I can teach you how to update the site yourself. A 4 hr lesson. $599 a one time fee
Upsell#3 : I will maintain the site outside of the competition season. $39 a month.

Guess which working dance mom has 4 hrs to spare to
learn how to work a modern day website??

Guess which recurring income option they were inclined to choose .

I'm actually out of the half hour but depending on responses I'll keep going with the method and How I managed it.

Ps I'm not gonna give the website adress

Pss ( I think thats right) I hope this helps / inspires someone.
#bored #clients #month
  • Profile picture of the author bob ross
    I knew some girls when I was in high school who's parents were paying outrageous amounts for them to have websites about their modeling career.

    I think you have a fantastic idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6154394].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author payoman
      Another idea this instantly ignited in my mind...

      Graphic design students are a dime a dozen. I know, I was one of them!

      Post up a poster in the Graphics lab of your local colleges saying..

      "Want your portfolio online for the world to see? Stand out from your classmates with a professional portfolio website today!"

      Offer a simple Wordpress portfolio template setup, with resume page and everything. Same thing here, many students parents are paying for the tuition, all they need is to ask Mom or Dad to put up the few hundred dollars for the site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6154850].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

      I knew some girls when I was in high school who's parents were paying outrageous amounts for them to have websites about their modeling career.

      I think you have a fantastic idea.
      I have a client who basically runs a modeling directory. He isn't an agent, but girls pay anywhere from $100 to a couple grand just to have pictures listed on the website. He's thrown me a few bones with girls needing websites.. definitely profitable, and FUN projects to work on.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6155860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    This is a great idea and takes vanity publishing to a whole new level.

    You can take this idea and apply it to so many other non-business areas as well

    band , impress colleges, pets, pageant types, athletes, etc...
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6155188].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
      Bigj77,

      You are living proof age really doesn't make a difference. What a person needs is something between the ears that doesn't rattle when he/she shakes it. Good job. If I was a betting man, I'd bet you will be teaching one of those marketing courses you are taking by this time next year.

      Continued success,

      Tom
      Signature
      Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

      The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6155681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    I totally "buy" this idea. Awesome. Great thinking. I once "snagged" a moment with a major modeling agent... (funny how you create your own luck) and could write a whole book on how that affected my modeling site for the positve (as in $$$$) !

    Awesome post. Congrats man! Brilliant!

    Ps. Thanks for taking that half hour to share this with us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6156015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jacquic
    Inspiring story, BigJ77, and a great idea! Thanks for taking the time to post.
    Signature
    See our great value publications - business, SEO, etc. Being added to weekly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6157010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ginder
    That sounds like a good idea, there are few twists that can put on that method to make it even better. I'll PM you about what I am thinking!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6157080].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DoWhatWorks
    That's really clever, Bigj77. You are spot on, with regard to understanding how people think. At that age, everyone wants what the other kids have, and the parents, specifically mom, usually gives in every time. Having children myself, I can attest to this. :-)

    -Terry


    Originally Posted by Bigj77 View Post

    I have a half hour to kill so I figure I will post with something that consistently gets me a lot of clients quickly.

    Reading on this forum I see a lot of variety in post which is good but often the post in the offline section revolve around getting business owners on the web and getting them exposed to potential customers.

    Before I dive in I'm 20 so I don't want to hear any complaints about how hard it is to close clients.

    Ok so about a year ago (when I was 19. so young and hopeful, mostly before college expenses) I was getting into word press and mostly embedding picture and videos into sites. My sister is a competitive dancer which is not as impressive as it may sound. Basically she travels to convention centers and competes with other girls for a trophy, medal, ribbon, or something that symbolizes superiority.

    It was her birthday and instead of buying her a present I decided to make her a dance portfolio.

    You have to understand one thing, mothers love their daughters. So when the opportunity to buy professional photos of their child on stage performing comes up, they take that opportunity time and time again. I had professional photos and videos of her that I compiled using a word press portfolio theme.

    It was a simple wordpress site with the following arrangement

    Home Photos Videos About Ashleigh Experience

    It took all of 3 hrs to complete and the result was actually very impressive.
    She loved it and so did my mom.

    So here I had a website a happy dancer and a happy mother. I also had a lust for money that I acted upon quickly.

    I'm a psych/marketing major so I made some assumptions.
    1. Other girls would be jealous of My sister
    2. They would want what she had
    3. They would most likely have no money, so who do they go to? " Hey dad Can I talk to you about a dance website ??" NO not going to happen. How about " Mom Ashleigh has this dance website its so cool can I get one too!" Or something to that effect.

    Bam the idea is there. Now all I had to do was capitalize on it.
    $300 for a nice ish projector. $80 for the screen. I borrowed a table and I set up in the lobby of my sisters dance studio.
    It was a Tuesday so the competition groups were practicing and getting out around 8. Perfect. No girl wants to go home on a Tuesday night ( homework)
    They sat in the lobby and talked with each other ( as did the moms ) and what did they hear?

    "Let your star shine on the big screen"

    They saw a professional website of my sister dancing and twirling online. The voice was a 30 second fiver gig I had ordered the week before lining the benefits of having a website portfolio.

    Do you know what else they saw? They saw a dancing with the stars judge ( the same one that made a guest appearance at their last competition )
    I managed to snag a few moments of his time and just asked him to comment on the originality of the sites idea. ( Clever huh )

    You have a professional website
    a professional voiceover
    a television celebrity in the profession they are in commenting on how cool the site was.

    Guess who got a bunch of orders?

    I took it a step further with some upsells.
    Upsell #1 : I can keep the site up to date for you during the competition season. $199 a month per dancer
    Upsell #2 : I can teach you how to update the site yourself. A 4 hr lesson. $599 a one time fee
    Upsell#3 : I will maintain the site outside of the competition season. $39 a month.

    Guess which working dance mom has 4 hrs to spare to
    learn how to work a modern day website??

    Guess which recurring income option they were inclined to choose .

    I'm actually out of the half hour but depending on responses I'll keep going with the method and How I managed it.

    Ps I'm not gonna give the website adress

    Pss ( I think thats right) I hope this helps / inspires someone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6160331].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryansjacket
    Nice story Bigj77 on how to being creative and taking advantage of what you have at your direct reach!
    Signature

    Professional Video Reviews Delivered Within 72 Hours For Only $5 http://tinyurl.com/79wtklx

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6161108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnnyBattles
    How much do you charge for the setup fee?

    I know a dance mom and their studio post their pictures all on Facebook. This strategy is better for individual promotion.

    You could take this one step further and make a dance directory site and sell dedicated pages for the dancers if they can't afford the full site package.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6161143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Inspiration happens in the most unlikely of places so it always pays to keep your eyes and mind open coz you just never know what you will come across when you least expect it. Well done.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Visit my site for more info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6161975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author schazz
    Nice job man!
    What price you charge for the website initially?

    Also if you don't mind, what theme are you using?
    I found this and i think it looks amazing...costs $40 but think it would potentially be worth it...
    WordPress - Striking Premium Corporate & Portfolio WP Theme | ThemeForest
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6163090].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bigj77
      Originally Posted by schazz View Post

      Nice job man!
      What price you charge for the website initially?

      Also if you don't mind, what theme are you using?
      I found this and i think it looks amazing...costs $40 but think it would potentially be worth it...
      WordPress - Striking Premium Corporate & Portfolio WP Theme | ThemeForest

      I think I'm going to update this thread tomorrow or friday with how I plan pricing and how to decide how much to charge so stick around

      As far as themes Go I usually just find a theme they like then code in a gallery (Still in wordpress)
      But if your'e not well versed in coding I suggest this theme : Prestige - Ultimate WordPress Theme

      I like it because its highly customizable so you could tweak it a bit and use it multiple times in a portfolio without the sites looking like copies of eachother.
      Signature
      I made $15,000 in 24 hrs without breaking a sweat. Find Out How
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6168106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jacquic
    Thanks for posting that theme, schazz - I would say definitley worth the $40 and I'll be getting it.
    Signature
    See our great value publications - business, SEO, etc. Being added to weekly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6164108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    Thanks for some great ideas. My aunt actually owns a chain of dance/exercise clothing stores. So this may be a future money making idea for me.

    If I found me a web guy I trusted I could easily act as the middle man and let my aunt sell these for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6168061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    Great job on coming up with a plan and executing it! Here's an additional thought to have more resources at your disposal. If you have a fine arts collage around or even a collage that has fine arts courses like cinematography and anything related you can get interns from the collage who work for free to help you create and produce the delivered product. All you have to do is provide feedback to the interns teacher so they get course credits.

    Just an example of some internships that are available from Denver University.

    http://www.du.edu/ahss/schools/mfjs/...rtunities.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6168176].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onthebox
    Bigj77 - fantastic! thanks for sharing - really valuable information for anybody willing to take action. Stay with it buddy - big times ahead.
    Signature

    Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6169644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author schazz
    Would love to hear pricing when you get the chance
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185532].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bigj77
      Originally Posted by schazz View Post

      Would love to hear pricing when you get the chance
      I'll do it soon. I have finals still haha
      Signature
      I made $15,000 in 24 hrs without breaking a sweat. Find Out How
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185968].message }}

Trending Topics