This Is How I Get Offline Clients

37 replies
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (as we Brits say!) but the only effective way I know of getting offline clients is to run offline seminars.

This is how I do it.

I joined my local Chamber Of Commerce - this gives me access to 300 business people all wanting to grow their business. Start building relationships with the group by attending networking meetings etc

I then rented a local conference room right in the middle of the business community in my town and invited local businesses to my free seminar. (Many of them already members of the Chamber of commerce so I'm not a stranger. I usually book the room for a morning session - costs me around £60 ($80US). I use my power point presentations to present seminars on Public speaking For Business, Social Media Marketing For Local business, and various other seminars on Business Development techniques for local businesses.

Off the back of this I offer free one on one consultations.

I can get as many clients as I want from these seminars - and I'm producing seminar materials all the time to keep fresh and offer a real service for the business community.

If you find it diffcult to present, it's really worth getting some coaching. Having a reputation as someone who can offer live business development coaching with groups can explode your credibility and offline business - Mobile Websites, QR Codes, Facebook Timelines for Business, Google + - the works!

Get the business in - then outsource.

Rinse and repeat - as they say!

Steve
#clients #offline
  • Profile picture of the author abigaill
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6159135].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lmz319
      I agree, great idea. I've been thinking about trying something like that myself. It's so much easier to sell when you're not trying to sell!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6160056].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onthebox
        Originally Posted by lmz319 View Post

        I agree, great idea. I've been thinking about trying something like that myself. It's so much easier to sell when you're not trying to sell!
        Thanks for comments and for the heads up on my homepage video. Much appreciated. I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with face to face communication when it comes to selling products and services. For me, it's definitely been worth meeting potential clients through my offline seminars.

        As we all know, at the end of the day the most effective marketing happens through building relationships with people who are most likely to need our products and services. And presentation is a skill set that can be learned with a little effort and perseverance.
        Signature

        Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6161252].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mikelukjaniec
        Sounds like you've got a good system in place to get new clients. However, if you organized online conference webinars, you'd save yourself a lot of time, effort & money and probably get a lot more clients to boot! I know of one company that, sold their 'High Street' premises and transferred their whole operation online!
        Signature

        Affiliate links are not allowed.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6338529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Rockstar
    Hey this is a great method, thanks for sharing, we're going to try something similar for our next promotion, actually I got some ideas i could use.

    Thank you very much for sharing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6160099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    I like the way you have set up your website, If I was in the market for services it would impress me.

    By the way the bottom and left sides of your home page video are being cutoff in my firefox browser, may want to look at that.
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6160195].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
      Originally Posted by Eddie Spangler View Post

      I like the way you have set up your website, If I was in the market for services it would impress me.

      By the way the bottom and left sides of your home page video are being cutoff in my firefox browser, may want to look at that.
      Everything fits just fine in my browser.
      His site is based on the E-Fix theme that was for sale here some time ago...

      Way to OnTheBox on taking action and getting it done!
      Signature
      Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
      - Neale Donald Wilson -
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6161582].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onthebox
        Originally Posted by vndnbrgj View Post

        Everything fits just fine in my browser.
        His site is based on the E-Fix theme that was for sale here some time ago...

        Way to OnTheBox on taking action and getting it done!
        Well spotted vnd! Yes I use the E-Fix theme. I'm using Wordpress as a platform for all my websites and this Theme is one of around 6 of my favourites.
        Signature

        Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6163795].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimD
      Originally Posted by Eddie Spangler View Post

      I like the way you have set up your website, If I was in the market for services it would impress me.

      By the way the bottom and left sides of your home page video are being cutoff in my firefox browser, may want to look at that.
      I agree, terrific website. Lots of giveaways and information.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6340468].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Yeah.. even just joining a chamber, it could benefit you. Definitely a viable technique, but more work than just cold calling! LOL. Good stuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6161276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bigfoot1
    This is a great idea and far more effective than cold calling.

    By the way, if you are not confident about your presentation skills check out your local Toastmasters club.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6161905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Elluminati
    What a coincidence. I just spoke with a potential partner about hosting a local seminar for women who want to work from home. I think it's an excellent idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6163465].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zenmack
      Originally Posted by Elluminati View Post

      What a coincidence. I just spoke with a potential partner about hosting a local seminar for women who want to work from home. I think it's an excellent idea.
      Interesting screen name.
      Signature

      The worlds best dating coach
      http://zenmack.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6163659].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author onthebox
      Originally Posted by Elluminati View Post

      What a coincidence. I just spoke with a potential partner about hosting a local seminar for women who want to work from home. I think it's an excellent idea.
      I wish you well with this Elluminati - go for it!
      Signature

      Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6163862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    If you don't want to give speeches, honestly just do presentations on the streets, beaches, parks, sporting events, rent yourself a tent with your business name set up demos on the table and give something away for free. Flea markets work too.

    That will get you leads at least in NJ. This one street fair we're going to next week gets around 600 people an hour by our table, costs $175$ for an 8 hour day.

    -Red
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6163557].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author onthebox
      Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

      If you don't want to give speeches, honestly just do presentations on the streets, beaches, parks, sporting events, rent yourself a tent with your business name set up demos on the table and give something away for free. Flea markets work too.

      That will get you leads at least in NJ. This one street fair we're going to next week gets around 600 people an hour by our table, costs $175$ for an 8 hour day.

      -Red
      Nice contribution RedShifted. There are so many ways to get in front of people without doing the hard sell and the ways you do it sound spot on. It's a matter of identifying your core gifting as a person - we all communicate in different ways according to our personality trait. But the bottom line is that human beings thrive in relationship to other people. That's why relationship marketing works well for most people. One on one is not as scary as people think - once you take action and get started!
      Signature

      Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6163853].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author acharyabbs
    good idea to get offline clients thanks for sharing..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6163661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Global warming
    Indeed a wonderful behavior, however - I don't think I can create an entire seminar from scratch.

    I have lots to say about marketing, but I'm not sure anyone will come and hear me unless my reputation goes in front of me.

    Any remarks?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6164173].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jacquic
      Good to hear that's going well for you, Steve. We run paid seminars and workshops too - used to do them in London and now stick to local in the main.

      Coincidentally, after a couple of short presentations (20 mins) at Chamber networking meetings, we're going to be rolling out a series of short seminars - free for members, and paid for non-members (though haven't set price point yet). They'll be 2 hours or long, rather than our usual day-long ones.

      Though this is a small town with fewer Chamber members than you have in yours, your post gives me further confidence that these will work to benefit all parties.


      Originally Posted by Global warming View Post

      Indeed a wonderful behavior, however - I don't think I can create an entire seminar from scratch.

      I have lots to say about marketing, but I'm not sure anyone will come and hear me unless my reputation goes in front of me.

      Any remarks?
      If you're not sure, why should they be

      If you've got things to say that will help people, and you can say them in a way they'll understand, then you'll be fine. Start small, and once you've done a few, you'll know if this is a route you want to follow.

      Why not find a local business person (or Chamber manager) who's familiar with running workshops/seminars and offer to do one with them?
      Signature
      See our great value publications - business, SEO, etc. Being added to weekly.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6164213].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onthebox
        Originally Posted by jacquic View Post

        Good to hear that's going well for you, Steve. We run paid seminars and workshops too - used to do them in London and now stick to local in the main.

        Coincidentally, after a couple of short presentations (20 mins) at Chamber networking meetings, we're going to be rolling out a series of short seminars - free for members, and paid for non-members (though haven't set price point yet). They'll be 2 hours or long, rather than our usual day-long ones.

        Though this is a small town with fewer Chamber members than you have in yours, your post gives me further confidence that these will work to benefit all parties.




        If you're not sure, why should they be

        If you've got things to say that will help people, and you can say them in a way they'll understand, then you'll be fine. Start small, and once you've done a few, you'll know if this is a route you want to follow.

        Why not find a local business person (or Chamber manager) who's familiar with running workshops/seminars and offer to do one with them?
        jacquic, thanks for your contribution. Really good stuff.

        We should compare notes sometime - we are obviously reading from the same page!
        Signature

        Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6166360].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jacquic
          I'll PM you this evening - running to keep still this afternoon...only just taking my lunch break and it's almost time for tea and cucumber sandwiches
          Signature
          See our great value publications - business, SEO, etc. Being added to weekly.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6166389].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author onthebox
            Originally Posted by jacquic View Post

            I'll PM you this evening - running to keep still this afternoon...only just taking my lunch break and it's almost time for tea and cucumber sandwiches
            Hey! How did you know about the tea and cucumber sandwiches!
            Signature

            Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6167036].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author onthebox
      Originally Posted by Global warming View Post

      Indeed a wonderful behavior, however - I don't think I can create an entire seminar from scratch.

      I have lots to say about marketing, but I'm not sure anyone will come and hear me unless my reputation goes in front of me.

      Any remarks?
      Hi Global, As a marketer I'm sure you've got "the gift of the gab" as we Brits say. You are probably good at communicating. The key is to join a local business community, find out what their top priorities are in terms of their business development hopes and dreams, then put together a seminar to target those hopes and dreams. There is a load of material out there.

      I use Power Point Presentations and have developed a whole load of material covering a range of subjects that local business people relate to. It obviously takes a little time to do the research and prep work, but this really pays off once you get started. We all know there is no "quick fix" so it's much better building your business on a solid foundation by building relationships with people that want to buy your product or service.

      If I can help, let me know.
      Signature

      Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6166344].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShayB
      Originally Posted by Global warming View Post

      Indeed a wonderful behavior, however - I don't think I can create an entire seminar from scratch.

      I have lots to say about marketing, but I'm not sure anyone will come and hear me unless my reputation goes in front of me.

      Any remarks?
      If you can't write it yourself, you can get some good quality PLR and use that for a basis.

      (Not the 50 cent stuff from TradeBit, but good quality. I've seen some offered in the WSO section for offliners.)

      Just get started - you'll build your reputation.
      Signature
      "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6341292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ElijahBrewer
    Boom!! That's it brother! Thanks for the share, and you keep Beasting it out!!
    Signature

    If you dont want to be a beast--> DON'T CLICK HERE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6166526].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author onthebox
      Originally Posted by ElijahBrewer View Post

      Boom!! That's it brother! Thanks for the share, and you keep Beasting it out!!
      Thanks Elijah! We need some of your marketing fire over here in the UK!
      Signature

      Steve Flashman works on and offline as a Marketing Consultant with a unique edge! He is a published author & recording artist, broadcaster & communications expert and he runs a charity working in the developing world. He also bought a Double Decker Bus on Ebay, runs a number of Community Choirs and leads a church and community project. http://www.businessexpresscoaching.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6167059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DoWhatWorks
    Hi Steve,

    Chamber of Commerce members are excellent to work with. Another really good group to be part of is BNI. They have chapter groups all over the world and they're a very tight-knit group that does a lot of direct business and referral business with one another.

    -Terry

    Originally Posted by onthebox View Post

    I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (as we Brits say!) but the only effective way I know of getting offline clients is to run offline seminars.

    This is how I do it.

    I joined my local Chamber Of Commerce - this gives me access to 300 business people all wanting to grow their business. Start building relationships with the group by attending networking meetings etc

    I then rented a local conference room right in the middle of the business community in my town and invited local businesses to my free seminar. (Many of them already members of the Chamber of commerce so I'm not a stranger. I usually book the room for a morning session - costs me around £60 ($80US). I use my power point presentations to present seminars on Public speaking For Business, Social Media Marketing For Local business, and various other seminars on Business Development techniques for local businesses.

    Off the back of this I offer free one on one consultations.

    I can get as many clients as I want from these seminars - and I'm producing seminar materials all the time to keep fresh and offer a real service for the business community.

    If you find it diffcult to present, it's really worth getting some coaching. Having a reputation as someone who can offer live business development coaching with groups can explode your credibility and offline business - Mobile Websites, QR Codes, Facebook Timelines for Business, Google + - the works!

    Get the business in - then outsource.

    Rinse and repeat - as they say!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6166719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aussieguy
    Good to see only positive comments on this method. Financial professionals and others have been doing this for years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6169798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sdentrepreneur
    I agree, I speak to business owners every Thursday at 4:30pm. I do free or low cost seminars on Social Media Marketing and have generated many new clients this way.
    Signature

    Learn Digital, Internet and Social Media Marketing For Your Business
    Click here to learn more - Digital and Social Media Marketing Training Course

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6170219].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eugene Celestine
    Good Info. Speaking in conferences and Local commerce chambers is a very good way of getting attention and sales. Most of these guys are pure novice to Internet Marketing and would be willing to hire you. I can't forget my first seminar. You become an instant expert.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6330923].message }}
  • This is a great idea! It also gives one a reason to actually go out and meet people in the process.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6331578].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prismkuet
    Good idea for sure, but may not be adaptable all parts of the world. May be that's acceptable in your locality, but here, you find not such businessmen who are interested to attend such conference. May be this cup of tea is not for mine.
    Signature

    check out the Pros and Cons of CPA

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6331818].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Preeti
    Great post Steve! Every month, I'm aiming to try a new lead generation method and for June, I'm going to try to make that a speaking event or hosting a workshop/seminar. Thanks for your insightful post, glad to ready that it's working for others!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6333001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eugene Celestine
    Organizing seminars for business owners is a very powerful way to get high paying clients. Teach them from the bottom of your heart and they will always come back to you. Don't forget, these folks don't have the time in the world to do this things. Orienting them will make you an Instant Expert they would want to work with.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6337046].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Hansen
    Thanks for the share! This is just great.

    Let me know if I can help you Warrior to Warrior.

    Good luck
    Peter
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6337729].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Solem
    Hi Steve - congrats on your success and thanks for sharing your method here!

    Quick ? though for you and others doing training sessions for chamber members, is there a certain presentation length that you find works best? 30 min, 60 minutes or more? I would think shorter might be better for a number of reasons, but that's just a guess on my part.

    Cheers,

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6341237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author popmarco
    Wonderfull Steve! Thanks for the share.

    At this point though, product creation is a priority. I'm writing an ebook in which I'm planning to launch next month. I hope to do the same one day.

    Thanks!
    Signature
    Toon Blogger gives No BS blogging tips highly peppered with toons (great for beginners!).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6341309].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author captinamerica
    Great idea. I have been to a few seminars in my local area before and I always leave thinking what a joke. This is defiantly an idea I want to get rolling. Thanks for the inspiration.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6342561].message }}

Trending Topics