Lead Gen Sites and Keyword Questions

by Cay78
16 replies
Hey guys....real quick, I have been building out some local lead gen sites and I had a question on KW research. Do you guys have a minimum amount of exact match searches that you need before you decide to target it?

Ive heard as low as 50 and as high as 1,000 Exact searches.

I just don't want to build sites around KW's that won't produce enough calls, etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
#gen #keyword #lead #questions #sites
  • Profile picture of the author Craig McPherson
    Hi Cay,

    I have a swimming pool site that ranks on the first page for 5 different keywords.
    All 5 show zero searches in google keyword tool and all five had under 10 competing sites when put in quotes.

    And

    It averages 6-8 quote requests a week.

    Just giving you an option

    Craig
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6508375].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sodomojo
      Do you sell the leads or lease the site?
      Originally Posted by Craig McPherson View Post

      Hi Cay,

      I have a swimming pool site that ranks on the first page for 5 different keywords.
      All 5 show zero searches in google keyword tool and all five had under 10 competing sites when put in quotes.

      And

      It averages 6-8 quote requests a week.

      Just giving you an option

      Craig
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6509941].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author alfid
      Originally Posted by Craig McPherson View Post

      Hi Cay,

      I have a swimming pool site that ranks on the first page for 5 different keywords.
      All 5 show zero searches in google keyword tool and all five had under 10 competing sites when put in quotes.

      And

      It averages 6-8 quote requests a week.

      Just giving you an option

      Craig
      This is important info you just shared. I always assumed you had to have the keyword at least have a record of having at least a handful of searches per day, week, month, etc. (On the other hand, I have heard of some keywords becoming more popular for search over time.) This is good to know.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6517105].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Craig McPherson
        Originally Posted by Tydowns View Post

        Do you sell the leads or lease the site?
        This site I sell the leads for $73 a pop

        Originally Posted by alfid View Post

        This is important info you just shared. I always assumed you had to have the keyword at least have a record of having at least a handful of searches per day, week, month, etc. (On the other hand, I have heard of some keywords becoming more popular for search over time.) This is good to know.
        I never use GAKT. I initially use Goog's suggest. These are terms that people are using right now when searching whereas GAKT uses data over a long period of time mostly. I then use AWStats for my keywords. These numbers are profoundly unchangeable so I use these. Over time, this list of words grows and grows.

        With the 5 terms ranking on page one I also get found for 72 other search terms related to it. Of these, GAKT says one of them get searched for 32 exact times a month while the rest are zero (big lol @ GAKT)

        I also reverse engineer keyword research. Rank for the super easy stuff then work back towards the hard stuff.

        For example:

        Home Handyman MySmallTown then go for Home Renovations MySmallTown then Home Renovations MyBigCity
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6517653].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author maricelu
          Originally Posted by Craig McPherson View Post

          I also reverse engineer keyword research. Rank for the super easy stuff then work back towards the hard stuff.

          For example:

          Home Handyman MySmallTown then go for Home Renovations MySmallTown then Home Renovations MyBigCity
          Exactly, go with low keywords initially and even register a long-tail exact match domain if you find a suitable one. Then do backlinking and wait for the rankings and traffic to come, combine low search keywords with big ones and track everything you can. I use Microsite Masters Rank Tracker - Accurate Keyword Tracking for SEO Campaigns to track the biggest keywords my site ranks for. then you sell your leads or rent the site.
          Signature

          I have no signature.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6520891].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mrtrance
          Originally Posted by Craig McPherson View Post



          I never use GAKT. I initially use Goog's suggest. These are terms that people are using right now when searching whereas GAKT uses data over a long period of time mostly. I then use AWStats for my keywords. These numbers are profoundly unchangeable so I use these. Over time, this list of words grows and grows.

          With the 5 terms ranking on page one I also get found for 72 other search terms related to it. Of these, GAKT says one of them get searched for 32 exact times a month while the rest are zero (big lol @ GAKT)

          I also reverse engineer keyword research. Rank for the super easy stuff then work back towards the hard stuff.

          For example:

          Home Handyman MySmallTown then go for Home Renovations MySmallTown then Home Renovations MyBigCity

          Craig,

          Say I want to setup a lead gen site for a plumber for my city and when I type in Google "plumber city" I get the following suggestions that are viable:

          plumber city
          24 hour plumber city
          best plumber city
          city valley plumber
          plumbing city state

          So looking at those should I at first get an exact match domain using one of those 5 keywords and put up content that incorporates those 5 terms on the homepage and then monitor which keywords I start to get found by looking at my AWStats. As I start to see more long tails that the site is being found I incorporate those new keywords into the original content and keep doing this to build more traffic and hopefully turn that traffic into leads with a strong CTA.

          Off course at the same time I should be doing some backlinking using all the long tail keywords to build up their rankings. Is that how you typically go about setting up your sites or do you do it differently?

          Also when picking out the domain name should I go after the one that has the highest search volume in Keyword Tool or don't worry about that at all with this method?
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6526573].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Craig McPherson
            Originally Posted by mrtrance View Post

            Craig,

            Say I want to setup a lead gen site for a plumber for my city and when I type in Google "plumber city" I get the following suggestions that are viable:

            plumber city
            24 hour plumber city
            best plumber city
            city valley plumber
            plumbing city state

            So looking at those should I at first get an exact match domain using one of those 5 keywords and put up content that incorporates those 5 terms on the homepage and then monitor which keywords I start to get found by looking at my AWStats. As I start to see more long tails that the site is being found I incorporate those new keywords into the original content and keep doing this to build more traffic and hopefully turn that traffic into leads with a strong CTA.

            Off course at the same time I should be doing some backlinking using all the long tail keywords to build up their rankings. Is that how you typically go about setting up your sites or do you do it differently?

            Also when picking out the domain name should I go after the one that has the highest search volume in Keyword Tool or don't worry about that at all with this method?
            Perfectly summed up Trance. That is exactly how I did it. (Pssst Did "Emergency Plumber City" come up???? )

            1. All 5 terms I got from the drop down list. Not from the same keyword though. I typed in one broad keyword and went through the list of 4 or 5 that drop down. They had to have less than 10 competing pages when in quotes. I wanted NO competition for them. I did the same for the other 4 keywords. ( I got this idea from here on the forum. )

            2. This site is purely for lead gen. Basic header, a handful of bullet points and a kick ass opt in box in the guts of the page. I also made a 50 second video with windows movie make, uploaded it to youtube and embedded the video on the page too. That's it.

            3. It is a one page site but I made the page a post instead of a page. (confused myself then). I did this because I make up 5 categories, one for each keyword. I assign the post to all categories and put this menu in the sidebar, as we all do. I also put tags in the post but they were the same keywords.

            4. I then backlink every category page and every tag page. I also used over 12 different variations for each keyword including the hard to rank for.

            5. I did not backlink the main page at all.

            In 2-3 weeks I was top 5 for all 5 keywords, which didn't mean much at the beginning cos the traffic was minimal, but over time the number of terms I got found for grew.

            One other tactic I use is a plugin, which name escapes me right now, but it not only tells you what terms people use to find you but you can put this list on your site. I put this list in my footerunder the heading of "Products and Services We Offer". I only put 5-6 terms in this list but I reckon it helps enormously.

            Hope this helps you Trance
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6527580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrtrance
      Originally Posted by Craig McPherson View Post

      Hi Cay,

      I have a swimming pool site that ranks on the first page for 5 different keywords.
      All 5 show zero searches in google keyword tool and all five had under 10 competing sites when put in quotes.

      And

      It averages 6-8 quote requests a week.

      Just giving you an option

      Craig
      So these 6-8 quote requests you are getting each week are they from the contact form on this site? So do you just collect the info and then sell each lead to the same business that has agreed to get leads from you? How did you figure out how much to charge per lead for this site?

      So is this one client exclusive to this site and gets all the leads? So do you do any type of monthly lease model where you have a forwarding # on the site that goes to 1 client for that niche and you can track how many leads they get per month and they pay you a fixed fee each month?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6530934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cay78
    That's great! Ya I just ranked a local site in the roofing industry and it gets 150 exact searches per month....I'm ranked number 1, above the GP's....haven't seen in calls yet, but I guess it is still early...

    Thanks!
    Signature

    There are 2 types of people in this world....those who get it and those who don't. The ones that get it know exactly what we are talking about. The ones who don't are left scratching their heads.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6508549].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Adrian John
      That's strange.I also got an medical site on the first site that has 450 exact searches but no calls or quote requests.
      I think the best way to find what kind of volume you can expect it's through buying Adwords but i can't remember the procedure on that one.I have to look after into my computer.


      Originally Posted by Cay78 View Post

      That's great! Ya I just ranked a local site in the roofing industry and it gets 150 exact searches per month....I'm ranked number 1, above the GP's....haven't seen in calls yet, but I guess it is still early...

      Thanks!
      Signature
      ARE YOU A CONSULTANT? Do you have clients who could use MORE LEADS?
      Get them a MOBILE WEBSITE PLATFORM built to stay up with their clients habits.
      More than 50% of their customers buys from their mobile devices now!

      CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6508741].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author 9999
        I am just getting a lead gen site up for a lawyer, has 8100 searches a month. Keep my fingers crossed on this one.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6509384].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AussieT
      Originally Posted by Cay78 View Post

      That's great! Ya I just ranked a local site in the roofing industry and it gets 150 exact searches per month....I'm ranked number 1, above the GP's....haven't seen in calls yet, but I guess it is still early...

      Thanks!
      How long has it been ranked #1 for?
      Are you using a tracking number?
      Do your Stats show any traffic yet?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6509797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MorpheusMirror
    Priming the pump with adwords is usually the easiest way to find out what keywords to rank for.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6509410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrtrance
    For those that have these lead gen sites up are your sites setup to look like a real business website with a CTA # and/or contact form and pertinent information about that niche or is it more like a actual lead gen site (i.e. Houston Discount Roofing Contractors - Emergency Roof Repairs 713-242-1651
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hostwindsEvanM
    Interesting to see the results as well. It may be worth of course just searching your keyword in question to see if anything relevant comes up. If so, it is hopefully a safe assumption it is working for them. To better this, look for keywords that the bigger sites may be using - can be difficult to decide on keywords.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515912].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6644395].message }}

Trending Topics