taking payments with check over the phone?

78 replies
hey guys are any of you taking check payments over the phone?
or fax or email? i know there are software out there that let you do that.

if there is anyone out there doing this
my question to you is.
are you having problems getting the clients to agree to pay you in that form of way?

the reason why i ask is because my agents has trouble getting paid by checks..

the customer just wants to hand over the credit card info instead. and to me that seems to be the same. i mean what is the difference if you give me the cc info. if i was a scam i would just go and buy a bunch of things online. the same thing if i was just to get his routing and account number from their checks.
#check #payments #phone #taking
  • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
    Why would you even make this an issue?

    If the customer wants to pay by CC, let them.

    Overly psychoanalyzing the scenario is not going to change the fact that if a customer wants to pay by CC, you are burning valuable time and potentially alienating customers by trying to get them to pay by check.

    If you use are using a payment processor such as PaySimple, you can offer customers the choice of paying by CC or check.

    Hope that helps.


    Originally Posted by hereforsuccess View Post

    hey guys are any of you taking check payments over the phone? or fax or email? i know there are software out there that let you do that.

    if there is anyone out there doing this
    my question to you is.
    are you having problems getting the clients to agree to pay you in that form of way?

    the reason why i ask is because my agents has trouble getting paid by checks..

    the customer just wants to hand over the credit card info instead. and to me that seems to be the same. i mean what is the difference if you give me the cc info. if i was a scam i would just go and buy a bunch of things online. the same thing if i was just to get his routing and account number from their checks.
    Signature
    Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

    SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6522616].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

      Why would you even make this an issue?

      If the customer wants to pay by CC, let them.

      Overly psychoanalyzing the scenario is not going to change the fact that if a customer wants to pay by CC, you are burning valuable time and potentially alienating customers by trying to get them to pay by check.

      If you use are using a payment processor such as PaySimple, you can offer customers the choice of paying by CC or check.

      Hope that helps.
      I print all my checks, I don't even bother with ACH regulations anymore
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6522654].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hereforsuccess
      Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

      Why would you even make this an issue?

      If the customer wants to pay by CC, let them.

      Overly psychoanalyzing the scenario is not going to change the fact that if a customer wants to pay by CC, you are burning valuable time and potentially alienating customers by trying to get them to pay by check.

      If you use are using a payment processor such as PaySimple, you can offer customers the choice of paying by CC or check.

      Hope that helps.
      im sorry i guess i didn't write that i am having trouble with paypal and i am never going back to them, then i used square and the same thing there.
      then i used merchant one but they also put a hold on my account because they said that SEO is a high risk account. so therefor i am done taking credit cards
      ive looked bad with clients because of them.
      i had 8,000 refunded because of that, and today i had 2 clients ready to pay me 2,500 and i couldn't take them because of credit cards.

      i mean i am so frustrated with this. by now i should be all settle down and shouldn't be worried about money. but credit cards are giving me a hard time.

      i guess i need to find a way to make businesses understand that a check is no difference than giving me their cc info you know.
      but i am having a hard time doing so.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6523304].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
        In that case, you have bigger issues.

        PayPal aside, there must be something to the particular services that you are offering that is putting you on these radars.

        There are simply too many people and companies selling SEO services that are not having the issue that you are articulating.

        That said, you may want to check out your top competitors to see who they are using to process their payments.

        Originally Posted by hereforsuccess View Post

        im sorry i guess i didn't write that i am having trouble with paypal and i am never going back to them, then i used square and the same thing there.
        then i used merchant one but they also put a hold on my account because they said that SEO is a high risk account. so therefor i am done taking credit cards
        ive looked bad with clients because of them.
        i had 8,000 refunded because of that, and today i had 2 clients ready to pay me 2,500 and i couldn't take them because of credit cards.

        i mean i am so frustrated with this. by now i should be all settle down and shouldn't be worried about money. but credit cards are giving me a hard time.

        i guess i need to find a way to make businesses understand that a check is no difference than giving me their cc info you know.
        but i am having a hard time doing so.
        Signature
        Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

        SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6524790].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
          Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

          In that case, you have bigger issues.

          PayPal aside, there must be something to the particular services that you are offering that is putting you on these radars.

          There are simply too many people and companies selling SEO services that are not having the issue that you are articulating.

          That said, you may want to check out your top competitors to see who they are using to process their payments.
          Paypal has stopped accepting new accounts for those offering SEO services. Some get by their filter but are monitored very closely to impose limitations on ANYTHING that is intangible now. They currently are rebranding and it's going to effect a lot of people.

          SEO and web hosting are considered high risk by MOST merchants now.

          The reason he is having problems is because of the volume. Out of everyone offering SEO, there is only MAYBE .1% that process over $4,000/mo. Think about it.... of all the "success" threads on this forum... there are hundreds of people who haven't even got their 1st client.

          What happens, is that you can be subject to random credit checks, random risk assessments by the underwriting departments, and it's a major pain. It's a pain because when doing transactions over the phone, that by itself is high risk. Adding SEO to the equation makes the risk go through the roof.

          1 chargeback can cause a hold on your account.

          You have transaction fees, which are planned, but then you have random fees at the end of the month for unqualified and mid qualified cards which can be anywhere from $50... to thousands of dollars and you can't plan for that. On top of that you invest time in work and eventually deal with chargebacks.

          It causes you to be unable to plan and budget for your business, and can lead to financial collapse.

          When I had 42K held for 180 days, and knowing I'm never going to see any of that.... has made me rethink how I do things, and that is why I only process checks right now.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6524894].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Murdock Lois
    If they want to pay you with CC, check or monthly installments try and cater to them. Be flexible when it comes to payments. Money is money
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6522627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    I understand Bob, if it helps out, the information you would be giving me over the phone would be no different than the info that would be infront of your check if you mailed it to me...does that make sense?

    Now I could let you mail me a check if it feels more comfortable...the only reason that you may not want to take that option is because, by the time it got hjere our 50% sales would be over and I wouldnt be able to hold your special price until we have recieved the check...

    Does that make sense?

    Now let me say this...this might help you out...if its a matter of not having the money in the account at the moment, what I CAN do is go ahead and post date a check for whatever date you feel comfortable...now we wont be able to start your service until its paid, but this way I could at least reserve your special price for you so you wouldnt miss out on the promotion...Would that help you BOB?


    "Why dont I just give you a credit card".

    We have a policy of only doing business by check for both our customers protection and our own...its a policy (Note: people understand theat they cant argue policy) I cant get around it, this is how all of our customers pay us..., HOWEVER, if you dont have the money in your account atm, and you STILL WANT YOUR_________________, heres what I can do to help you like I have a few others...

    Does that sound fair enough?



    Now, I have been trying to avoid threads that ask for full blown pitches and rebuttals...because Im writing a pitch book right now, BUT here are a couple that will help you (above) off the cuff.

    Rebuttaling is not always about providing a solution, because most objections... are based on irrational fears and not reason, so you cant counter with reason.

    So when we say "If not having money in the account is the issue bob...", not because they have said its an issue, but just as a transitional statemtn to the next thing we want to say...you cant reason with irrational emotion, but you can baffle it, get it off its course, and direct it back to why they want to buy and why they need to act with urgency.

    Hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6524885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    This guy hasnt answered any of the responses. I hope we arent just writing someone elses reports for them again. Thats why Im learning to avoid certain types of posts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6524949].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author azurews
      @iAmNameLess I understand your process for taking checks over the phone, but how do you work around the company's/client's signature on the check?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525300].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by azurews View Post

        @iAmNameLess I understand your process for taking checks over the phone, but how do you work around the company's/client's signature on the check?
        Good question... What this is, when you take check by phone, fax, email or whatever is considered a check draft. The signature line I always put "Authorized by your depositor - No Signature Required". Check drafts are accepted at any bank. Some banks will not release the funds to you until it completely clears though.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525443].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author azurews
          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          Good question... What this is, when you take check by phone, fax, email or whatever is considered a check draft. The signature line I always put "Authorized by your depositor - No Signature Required". Check drafts are accepted at any bank. Some banks will not release the funds to you until it completely clears though.
          That makes sense. I didn't realize you could even do that. Thanks for clearing that up (I tend to let the details get in my way)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525525].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
            Originally Posted by azurews View Post

            That makes sense. I didn't realize you could even do that. Thanks for clearing that up (I tend to let the details get in my way)
            Yeah I didn't either until I had literally no other option. I did some research, and started doing it!

            The biggest problem is overcoming the hesitation. I was hesitant at first because all I ever did was accept credit cards, so I didn't know how people would respond. I haven't had any issues so far, and the great thing, bigger companies especially in service industries are used to this. A couple of my roofing clients said it was no big deal, that's how they do everything. I'm the only "vendor" that didn't do it that way.

            I wish I did it like this earlier in my business. I would be much bigger and better off than I am currently.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525578].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author IMguy123
              Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

              Yeah I didn't either until I had literally no other option. I did some research, and started doing it!

              The biggest problem is overcoming the hesitation. I was hesitant at first because all I ever did was accept credit cards, so I didn't know how people would respond. I haven't had any issues so far, and the great thing, bigger companies especially in service industries are used to this. A couple of my roofing clients said it was no big deal, that's how they do everything. I'm the only "vendor" that didn't do it that way.

              I wish I did it like this earlier in my business. I would be much bigger and better off than I am currently.
              So is there a big difference between printing your own checks and accepting checks online through ACH?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525631].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author azurews
              I love the simplicity of it. Sure beats PayPal getting their panties in a twist and hanging onto your money when you need it.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    @ azerews

    go to "check man" checkman.com, and order check draft paper for this.... The site will educate you. I used this process and site for months when I didnt have a merch acct.

    I have probably done at least 40 checkman check by phone payments personally over the phone and deposited and cashed the checks from it.

    Note: As naturally the sole proprietor of your business, you will do yourself a favor and go down to the county clerk and file a DBA, which is a name you do business under.

    If you call yourself "chicagowebdesign" and thats your dba then get it registered, so you can go to a bank and get an account under that name and your checks wont look like they are going to joe schmoe...

    You can do it without this but it helps you look a little better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525660].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by IMguy123 View Post

      So is there a big difference between printing your own checks and accepting checks online through ACH?
      Yes. ACH regulations can be a pain, and going through a service that processes checks for you is essentially the same as a merchant account in the way that they can put holds on your money, and your account. Printing checks, you are taking out the middle man... It is you, your bank, and your client... instead of your client, your clients bank, your processor for ACH payments, your merchant account, and your depositing bank account! Simplifies the process and eliminates a big chunk of risk.

      Originally Posted by azurews View Post

      I love the simplicity of it. Sure beats PayPal getting their panties in a twist and hanging onto your money when you need it.
      I know... I've been done with paypal for a while. LOL. All merchant accounts are like that though. You will never regret it doing things this way instead. It's sooooo much better. I can actually have a gripp on my finances without wondering how much they'll be taking out, or if there will be a hold on my next 10 payments, or if there's going to be a random chargeback.
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      @ azerews

      go to "check man" checkman.com, and order check draft paper for this.... The site will educate you. I used this process and site for months when I didnt have a merch acct.

      I have probably done at least 40 checkman check by phone payments personally over the phone and deposited and cashed the checks from it.

      Note: As naturally the sole proprietor of your business, you will do yourself a favor and go down to the county clerk and file a DBA, which is a name you do business under.

      If you call yourself "chicagowebdesign" and thats your dba then get it registered, so you can go to a bank and get an account under that name and your checks wont look like they are going to joe schmoe...

      You can do it without this but it helps you look a little better.
      Yeah... some banks, will even allow you just to use an EIN and the company name you used with the EIN

      I never used checkman, always used this ezcheck printing software that I got for free.

      Checks FTW!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author azurews
    @John

    Funny you mentioned that. I was just researching online before IAmNameless responded and I came across the checkman site. It does have a lot of good information. Thanks for the heads up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525687].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by azurews View Post

      @John

      Funny you mentioned that. I was just researching online before IAmNameless responded and I came across the checkman site. It does have a lot of good information. Thanks for the heads up.
      Yes, its an excellent alternative to a merch acct. Again, I have used it myself and would again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Most people that wont do checks are closet "Charge Backers". Thats why I say "we do all of our billing by electronic checking for both your protection and ours...fair enough?"

    By the way folks, while we are on it...the key to asking for a check like making the above statement ( :confused: )...is to sound "matter of fact".

    Its the way you turn the phrase that makes it work. Just sound "matter of fact" when you ask for billing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525740].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      Most people that wont do checks are closet "Charge Backers". Thats why I say "we do all of our billing by electronic checking for both your protection and ours...fair enough?"

      By the way folks, while we are on it...the key to asking for a check like making the above statement ( :confused: )...is to sound "matter of fact".

      Its the way you turn the phrase that makes it work. Just sound "matter of fact" when you ask for billing.
      I never had any real training, all was just picked up as I went along. I didn't have the WF when I got going lol...

      I was awkward my first closings.. once I expected them to be fine with it, and then think its weird for them to even question it, I did MUCH better. Same thing with checks... I don't know what sounding matter of fact is John LOL, but I just expect them to pay. It's all confidence to me I think.

      I really like how you say fair enough.. I have REALLY noticed that saying "Fair enough" is VERY effective. That is one of the first things I ever picked up on with sales.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525775].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        I don't know what sounding matter of fact is John LOL, but I just expect them to pay. It's all confidence to me I think.

        I really like how you say fair enough.. I have REALLY noticed that saying "Fair enough" is VERY effective. That is one of the first things I ever picked up on with sales.
        Story time:

        When I was younger I worked in a factory for a time, and there was this girl who thought my songwriting was really good. she had went to college for english or something...and was studying to become a teacher.

        She asked me "where did you learn to alliterate like that/"

        I had no idea what that meant , I thought she was referring the the rythem of the lines, so I tried to explain that "Travis Tritt does this and that and blah blah blah..."

        and she said "You didnt know people study how to do this deliberately?"

        I didnt...

        But later I learned.

        Thats when I was able to do it at will.

        Rock n roll brother Iam, yeah I know your kind. You are are a shooting star if I ever saw one!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525869].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author azurews
          Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

          Story time:

          When I was younger I worked in a factory for a time, and there was this girl who thought my songwriting was really good. she had went to college for english or something...and was studying to become a teacher.

          She asked me "where did you learn to alliterate like that/"

          I had no idea what that meant , I thought she was referring the the rythem of the lines, so I tried to explain that "Travis Tritt does this and that and blah blah blah..."

          and she said "You didnt know people study how to do this deliberately?"

          I didnt...

          But later I learned.

          Thats when I was able to do it at will.

          Rock n roll brother Iam, yeah I know your kind. You are are a shooting star if I ever saw one!
          John, it looks like you learned fine-tune your 'alliterating' quite well lol
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525958].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author azurews
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        I never had any real training, all was just picked up as I went along. I didn't have the WF when I got going lol...

        I was awkward my first closings.. once I expected them to be fine with it, and then think its weird for them to even question it, I did MUCH better. Same thing with checks... I don't know what sounding matter of fact is John LOL, but I just expect them to pay. It's all confidence to me I think.

        I really like how you say fair enough.. I have REALLY noticed that saying "Fair enough" is VERY effective. That is one of the first things I ever picked up on with sales.
        I love the 'Fair enough' angle. I am going to be sure to use it!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    It gives you a chance to make sure they are still with you, an gives an indication that there's reason to proceed.

    like a preacher says, "can I get an amen?"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6525788].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PBP Marketing
    John hit the nail on the head with the "policy" statement IMO. I rarely have anyone argue against the phrase "company policy". The few that do get in a fuss about it either don't have the funds in their bank (qualify out for me - if they are living on credit cards then I assume they don't have sustainability in mind) or they aren't sold 100% and looking for an out (but that's something in our power to fix).
    Signature

    "Clarity trumps persuasion" - Dr. Flint Mcglaughlin

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6526160].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author azurews
    I agree with the company policy trump card. I am going to pack that one in my arsenal alongside the 'Fair enough' card...man, I am getting all kinds of great tips today!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6526240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Try the "asking a question", and then saying "the reason I asled is because...." angle.

    You can do that three or four times in a pitch and keep it going...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6526286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rasoolg
    I wouldn't do this myself to be honest. not a good practice!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6527923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mott594
    Nice success! Keep it up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6528171].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    You can write a check on a napkin from the local dinner, as long as the correct information is on it a bank has to take it. Truth.

    PS: Starting doing business like 99% of all other businesses. Accept checks!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6528893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lachlandv
    People still use checks??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6529000].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bennette
    @iAmNameLess, @John Durham. Thanks for sharing your check printing sources. I went to the sites but I couldn't find the answer to my question. Will this work for receiving monthly payments from clients outside the US?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6529557].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by Bennette View Post

      @iAmNameLess, @John Durham. Thanks for sharing your check printing sources. I went to the sites but I couldn't find the answer to my question. Will this work for receiving monthly payments from clients outside the US?
      Probably not. I haven't ever tried though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6529606].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Bennette
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        Probably not. I haven't ever tried though.
        Thanks iAmNameLess. I was trying to find some alternative options for my client that didn't involve ACH.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6529704].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
          To say that this thread has been enlightening is a monumental understatement! Special thanks to both iAmNameLess and John Durham, as well as others for their input.

          Needless to say, this thread has prompted me to completely revamp how I handle transactions. Starting this week, we will be converting clients over to paying by check. And, we will not be using our payment processor; we are going directly to our bank.

          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          When I had 42K held for 180 days, and knowing I'm never going to see any of that.... has made me rethink how I do things, and that is why I only process checks right now.
          This is why I'm making this preemptive move, RIGHT NOW! I've had enough of feeling like I have to walk on a tightrope when withdrawing large sums of money from PayPal. Or, feeling like I'm juggling raw eggs if I launch a new package or service.

          Additionally, I've had friends reamed by PayPal without cause. And, after that financial bloodbath, PayPal offered no explanation, apology or compensation. I've been with PayPal since around 2004 but every since the knowledge of that first wave of limited accounts starting hitting the forums, news and complaint boards, I knew that I had to find another solution.

          But like most people, I was thinking inside the box. Meaning, the only solution I looked at was a merchant account. I never even considered using checks only. It simply never dawned on me even though, I pay all of my vendors with checks, FOR ACCOUNTING PURPOSES.

          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          Good question... What this is, when you take check by phone, fax, email or whatever is considered a check draft. The signature line I always put "Authorized by your depositor - No Signature Required". Check drafts are accepted at any bank. Some banks will not release the funds to you until it completely clears though.
          This may be a silly question for iAmNameLess, but are you physically signing these checks, "Authorized by your depositor - No Signature Required".? Or, are you rubber stamping them? Or, are you using the software, ezCheckprinting to print out that line?

          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          The biggest problem is overcoming the hesitation...
          And you know what they say about hesitation? He who hesitates loses!

          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          Yes. ACH regulations can be a pain, and going through a service that processes checks for you is essentially the same as a merchant account in the way that they can put holds on your money, and your account. Printing checks, you are taking out the middle man... It is you, your bank, and your client... instead of your client, your clients bank, your processor for ACH payments, your merchant account, and your depositing bank account! Simplifies the process and eliminates a big chunk of risk.
          Those are profitable words, truly profitable words!

          Russ, this is hilarious but true...

          Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

          You can write a check on a napkin from the local dinner, as long as the correct information is on it a bank has to take it. Truth.
          I just may have some choice words for PayPal after next week, LOL.
          Signature
          Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

          SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6530583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Crew Chief! Make the transition and you will NOT regret it! You're going to absolutely LOVE the extra money you save from not having to pay transaction fees.

    Man... it was SO FRUSTRATING waking up every morning not knowing if there would be a random chargeback, dispute, merchant hold, or what.. You'll be much happier, lol.

    For the authorized by your depositor line... I do it with the software. I'll try to take a screen shot later on when I have time to show you how I do it. If you end up getting that software, let me know, I might do a video tutorial for it. You could also rubber stamp it, but writing it yourself you shouldn't do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6530718].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMguy123
      I downloaded software called ezCheckprinting but it does not really look like it would be the software you use. It seems more geared toward a business that needs to write checks for expenses etc. ...not a business that wants to accept checks as payment. of course, maybe I just don't know how to use it well enough.
      Can you tell me where you got your software or who it is made by? thanks

      see pic below of software I am looking at

      image hosting
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6530945].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author azurews
        I had to work with it a bit to get it to show up nicely on the check in ezcheckprinting but I just made this image in photoshop and saved it over the signature file (signature.jpg) that is in the ezcheckprinting folder. The image doesnt look that great here but I had to work with the fonts a bit to get them to show up right in the program.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6531182].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
          Originally Posted by azurews View Post

          I had to work with it a bit to get it to show up nicely on the check in ezcheckprinting but I just made this image in photoshop and saved it over the signature file (signature.jpg) that is in the ezcheckprinting folder. The image doesnt look that great here but I had to work with the fonts a bit to get them to show up right in the program.

          What I'm going to do... it's probably going to be late tonight, but I'll put a video tutorial up. Something really basic, but I'll make sure to show how I do that. I don't use an image for the signature, I'll show ya in the video.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6531198].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author IMguy123
            Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

            What I'm going to do... it's probably going to be late tonight, but I'll put a video tutorial up. Something really basic, but I'll make sure to show how I do that. I don't use an image for the signature, I'll show ya in the video.
            Did you ever make that video?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6648575].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by IMguy123 View Post

        I downloaded software called ezCheckprinting but it does not really look like it would be the software you use. It seems more geared toward a business that needs to write checks for expenses etc. ...not a business that wants to accept checks as payment. of course, maybe I just don't know how to use it well enough.
        Can you tell me where you got your software or who it is made by? thanks

        see pic below of software I am looking at

        image hosting
        Hey, that's the software I use, it can be used to print checks for your own business like payroll, or you can use it to process checks over the phone...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6531193].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author azurews
    Thanks IamNameless. Can't wait to check out your video. Appreciate you putting it together for us!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6531217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris_L
    iAmNameLess,

    How do you handle auto recurring monthly payments using checks only? Sorry if my question seems too obvious. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Like others, I though credit cards are the only way to go for payments, especially recurring monthly payments. Btw, thanks for the excellent tips. I've learned a lot today
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6531293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HAdrian1239
      Originally Posted by Chris_L View Post

      iAmNameLess,

      How do you handle auto recurring monthly payments using checks only? Sorry if my question seems too obvious. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Like others, I though credit cards are the only way to go for payments, especially recurring monthly payments. Btw, thanks for the excellent tips. I've learned a lot today
      This is just a guess based on some basic play with check printing software back in the day... but you create profiles for each person/company whose payment info you get... so you only have to collect it once... but then you're able to print a new check as needed, e.g. every month.

      Then you just have it in the contract to the client that, on X day of the month your account will be debited for such and such, until the end of the contract.

      That way... they're not freaked out, you don't have to hound them, and you only have to press a button or two. On top of the profiles, there may be a way to set your software to auto queue checks for printing within specific time frames, so that means you'd think about it even less... but it depends on your software.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6532415].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IMguy123
        Ok, I am now starting to understand the software after playing with it.

        Here is a question...what precautions or requirements does one take to prevent a customer from claiming you committed bank fraud by submitting a check that (the customer said-but in fact was) was not authorized?
        record agreement over phone?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6534514].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Chris_L
        Originally Posted by HAdrian1239 View Post

        This is just a guess based on some basic play with check printing software back in the day... but you create profiles for each person/company whose payment info you get... so you only have to collect it once... but then you're able to print a new check as needed, e.g. every month.

        Then you just have it in the contract to the client that, on X day of the month your account will be debited for such and such, until the end of the contract.

        That way... they're not freaked out, you don't have to hound them, and you only have to press a button or two. On top of the profiles, there may be a way to set your software to auto queue checks for printing within specific time frames, so that means you'd think about it even less... but it depends on your software.
        Thanks, HAdrian1239 for answering my question. It makes sense now after you explained it. As they say, "the devil is in the details". Thanks for clearing up some of the details for us

        Chris
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6536409].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sideburn
          This thread has some cool ideas ... the only thing that got stuck in my head is this ... what about chargeback/returned item on bad check (insufficient funds)? I imagine you could wait several days to make sure the check has been cleared and posted before giving away your product/service to your customer. However, if the check was not cleared due to insufficient funds, your bank would likely charge you $10-$20 returned item fee even if it was not your fault. Any ideas how to prevent this happening? On the bright side, you get to keep your product minus bank fee which is still better than Paypal and can be treated as part of business expenses.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6546353].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author dlink
            Originally Posted by sideburn View Post

            This thread has some cool ideas ... the only thing that got stuck in my head is this ... what about chargeback/returned item on bad check (insufficient funds)? I imagine you could wait several days to make sure the check has been cleared and posted before giving away your product/service to your customer. However, if the check was not cleared due to insufficient funds, your bank would likely charge you $10-$20 returned item fee even if it was not your fault. Any ideas how to prevent this happening? On the bright side, you get to keep your product minus bank fee which is still better than Paypal and can be treated as part of business expenses.
            I don't know anything about the check system Iamnameless uses, so I can't say what it does, but I recently paid to use q-check (recommended by midasman09 in several posts throughout the forum). Anyway, with q-check, you can purchase what are called Verifications, that way when you enter the check information, you can know right on the spot if they have funds.

            So, you shouldn't run into the problem of your bank not clearing the check for NSF problems, because you would know before you went to the bank. You can even know if they're using a stolen/fraudulent account, which I would hope I wouldn't run into any clients like that, but I think it's pretty awesome that feature is included.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6547034].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author repscraper
        Go to www.checkercheckprintingsoftware.com and read all about it. This is my software and my website. Don't order there. Call me on my cell at (425) 418-5315 and I'll give you a $124.95 discount and sell you the full PRO version of the software for $25.

        My Checker software is used by thousands of individuals and companies alike. Some of them are routinely depositing drafts of well over $10,000. If you are concerned about someone claiming fraud, simply get your customer to fax you a signed copy of the check and file it away and keep it. That faxed, signed copy will hold up in court in the event of such a claim.

        I've had so few such claims that I personally don't think it is worth my time to ask for and file faxed copies of any checks under $500.

        My software easily handles monthly recurring payments even if the amount is not the same every month - and it works equally well if you are the payee collecting money owed to you, or the payor paying your monthly bills.

        You can accept checks via phone, fax, Email, or using a form on your website.

        Virtually all banks will accept your deposits of these unsigned bank drafts. Unlike direct debit, this method requires no special relationship with your bank. It does not even require their approval and it carries no fees at all unless a draft bounces.

        This offer is good for anyone else who sees this post. The PRO version includes a database of US banks so that all you have to type is the routing number and the bank info is filled in for you.
        Signature

        Bob Stratton 206-774-8847
        bob@reppro.info www.RepProspector.com
        Combines lead gathering and CRMS!
        $8.95 for a complete turnkey business

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6765036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author azurews
    Chris, your question is not obvious at all. I was wondering the same thing myself but figured I hounded IAmNameless with enough questions...so I am glad you asked.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6532400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author remmy1uk
    How about direct debit, there are companies out there that let you set up clients direct debit, no more hassles about charge back, unless clients stopped their DD
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6534538].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by IMguy123 View Post

      Ok, I am now starting to understand the software after playing with it.

      Here is a question...what precautions or requirements does one take to prevent a customer from claiming you committed bank fraud by submitting a check that (the customer said-but in fact was) was not authorized?
      record agreement over phone?
      Submitting confirmation, as well as a contract would be good. There are many ways around this. You will very rarely, if ever, have this problem.

      Originally Posted by remmy1uk View Post

      How about direct debit, there are companies out there that let you set up clients direct debit, no more hassles about charge back, unless clients stopped their DD
      Direct debit is done through ACH, so that means you would likely have a merchant account with that and have to deal with all the BS that comes attached. Higher regulations, holds, and fees. It's essentially the same thing except you have it on a physical check. More trips to the bank to see the hot bank tellers, but that's worth it right?

      I meant to do the tutorial video last night but I haven't had much time, been swamped with projects, I'll try to do it tonight.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6534572].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author remmy1uk
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        Submitting confirmation, as well as a contract would be good. There are many ways around this. You will very rarely, if ever, have this problem.



        Direct debit is done through ACH, so that means you would likely have a merchant account with that and have to deal with all the BS that comes attached. Higher regulations, holds, and fees. It's essentially the same thing except you have it on a physical check. More trips to the bank to see the hot bank tellers, but that's worth it right?

        I meant to do the tutorial video last night but I haven't had much time, been swamped with projects, I'll try to do it tonight.

        I just had a quote from a company where they;d charge 50 direct debits for £49 per months and no merchant or any type included

        Edit to add: printing checks here in the UK is not as common thing as the US. And alot of customers here get funny about things like that.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6534630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bigjonnyg
    you can use beanstream to take check payments.. but not sure about over the phone... you still would need to upload a csv file with teh bank info...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6547200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gotham
    Over the phone, credit card is by far the better option.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6644338].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sallan
    Is online banking used by many businesses in America? I'm in Australia and in my previous business I very rarely saw checks, and never bothered getting a merchant facility as everyone pays via online banking direct into your account, it's just standard here for small businesses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6645743].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author midasman09
      Banned
      Ya....I've been using "Check" software ever since the banking industry made it OK to accept and deposit "Facsimile" checks.

      The first program I used was "Check-By-Fax". It was really cool because my "Fax Bulletin" program was a "Monthly Billing" where I entered the check info from the 1st check and every month I'd just open the software and print checks on my inkjet....stamp the back, "For Deposit Only" (just as if I had received the check in person) and deposit in my bank.

      And...every month I would send each client a "Paid Invoice" because for the 1st year I used this (I think it was 1992)....I'd just print the checks and deposit....until one day, a business owner calls and screams at me about me "stealing money from his account". He had forgotten he had SIGNED my Ad Agreement which stated I had permission to "Draft" their account UNTIL CANCELLED in writing!

      He had told his secretary to cancel and she neglected to contact me...so, for the next 9 mos I continued to perform the service and draft his account.

      So....since that experience I send each of my "Draft" clients a "Paid Invoice"....so that every month they are AWARE that money has been withdrawn from their account.

      And...as someone mentioned above....I'm now using "Q Check" (30day Trial and $99/year...1st yr...$59/yr thereafter)

      Don Alm
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6648241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas W
    Just how do you take a check over the phone? I missed this one
    Signature

    Established webmaster since 1998. Bought my first domain name for $70 and had to pay $1000 a month for hosting. It was the good life

    Skype: twool9
    Email me at thomasw9 ((((a)))) G mail

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6649268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AMABIZ
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6650911].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mike_lucas
      Another service we have used and are currently using with several businesses is called V check

      It cost a bit more but has a lot of the features many were asking about including recurring billing automated notices etc

      v check solutions is the company name
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6652350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hugh
    Really great info. About to switch to checks.
    In 3 months I will be finished with Paypal.

    Hugh
    Signature

    "Never make someone a priority in your life who makes you an option in theirs." Anon.
    "Some see private enterprise as a predatory target to be shot, others as a cow to be milked, but few are those who see it as a sturdy horse pulling the wagon." -- Winston Churchill

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6653546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AbacuSystems
    Hello all,
    I just found this thread and would like to ad a few things to the info from IamNameless and Jhon...
    As long as I found is that you can only use this draft checks for a maximum of $ 500.00 for each check here in US. Also about the phisical paper checks you can save some money on the check paper by using refills from "VersaCheck" just use business size checks, this are cheaper than security checks from checkman or especially printed checks and make sure that you install the special font for the account and routing numbers.
    You don't need the signature script on a stamp, that is included in the software, you just need to select to put the script instead of a signature or empty line, also actually it is supposed that you can make this checks on plain white paper, but the clerck at bank could act a little nervous and ask for help to the manager, not many are familiarized with these checks, I have a ness that works at a bank and she told me that she just got one a few days before but she had never seen one before that and she has 5 years at the bank.
    I needed to offer another payment option for our services to our clients and is how i learned about this "Draft Checks" after the first one you just go naturally to the bank and make the deposits with all you other original checks from your clients. You should keep a recording of the phone authorization according to the rules, on my case I ask my clients to sign an authorization form with all their bank information, the ammount, and frequency of the automatic charges in case or recurring, you just need to keep your calendar to make the deposits on the authorized dates, and you don't need to state fix dates just use "every 30 days", or "every 1st. of the month", or "every X day of the month" that will run as long as your contract is valid.
    Hope this can help you all, just google "Draft Checks" to find more acurate info, also goto your bank's site.
    JoeR.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6741799].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SirThomas
      Originally Posted by AbacuSystems View Post

      As long as I found is that you can only use this draft checks for a maximum of $ 500.00 for each check here in US.
      Where did you find this information?


      Thomas
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6741837].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by AbacuSystems View Post

        Hello all,

        As long as I found is that you can only use this draft checks for a maximum of $ 500.00 for each check here in US.

        but the clerck at bank could act a little nervous and ask for help to the manager, not many are familiarized with these checks,

        I have a ness that works at a bank and she told me that she just got one a few days before but she had never seen one before that and she has 5 years at the bank.
        I haven't seen anything online about that, but check drafts are good for any amount of money. You just have to wait for it to clear. It can be for $30... or $3,000 or more!

        Most understand what a check draft is. My bank never hesitated at all, said they get them every single day.

        You can read your account terms to see what your bank's policy is, but I haven't heard of a bank that didn't allow it. Even small community banks do it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6742249].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author AbacuSystems
          Well Just trying to help, that was something that I did read some time ago but you can find more info at the next link from the authority in that theme, also here is the definition from the same source:

          FDIC
          fdic[dot]gov/regulations/laws/rules/6500-3222[dot]html

          FFF. 229.2(fff) Remotely Created Check

          1. A check authorized by a consumer over the telephone that is not created by the paying bank and bears a legend on the signature line, such as "Authorized by Drawer," is an example of a remotely created check. A check that bears the signature applied, or purported to be applied, by the person on whose account the check is drawn is not a remotely created check. A typical forged check, such as a stolen personal check fraudulently signed by a person other than the drawer, is not covered by the definition of a remotely created check.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          I don't have more to ad to this tread, hope my participation can bring a little of help, Greetings and Good morning to all..
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6742343].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SirThomas
    Yeah, the FDIC site doesn't address any limitations on check drafts and I don't remember ever being questioned about the amount drawn. I've used this form of payment since the mid 90's at US Bank, WAMU, Chase and Wells Fargo.


    Thomas
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6743738].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jon Martin
    Better yet, if one has any hesitations they can simply give their local bank branch a call and ASK them if they accept check drafts.

    I've never personally used them yet as I'm just starting out and have closed all of my sales in person thus far, but I have friends of whom use check drafts on a daily basis.
    Signature
    "Be the hero of your own movie."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6743973].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author interindia
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6749061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thattaway
    RepScraper, this is such a generous offer. I just checked out your site. Is this software compatible with the blank checks that I buy at the office supply store, or do I need to buy special paper?

    I came to WF today, looking for an autopay solution. As usual, the WF community came through. Thanks for the post!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6810443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmyKay
    Great thread!

    Yesterday I cold called some businesses and sold some ad space. Told them matter of factly, I take payment by check over the phone, "Do you have your check book handy so you can read me some information from it?" "Sure, no problem." was the response every time.

    Now I'm off to compare the various check printing software and go to Office Max to buy the blank checks. I'll the money in my account this afternoon.

    Thanks, guys!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6819524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bluecoyotemedia
    Amykay

    that is a great assertive way to get check info

    i myself use something similar but also fax then a check by fax form to have a copy for what they sent to me in the event of any issues. this way i cover my back

    also I use Electronic Check Payment Processing, Check By Phone Services instead of me printing the checks and going to the bank to deposit them.

    why??

    because i live in another country
    Signature

    Skunkworks: noun. informal.

    A clandestine group operating without any external intervention or oversight. Such groups achieve significant breakthroughs rarely discussed in public because they operate "outside the box".
    https://short-stuff.com/-Mjk0fDExOA==

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6901172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author planbpayments
    You can try Check21.
    I can set that up for you within 24 hours. Its a very simple check payment solution with quicker settlements.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928977].message }}

Trending Topics