I think we can all learn from you Craigslist 'gurus' and improve our own Craigslist responses.
- How often do you post your ad
- How many ads you post per city
- How many cities do you advertize in
- What headliner gets you most success
- What kinda of copy do you use
- What topics do you post in
What I've done that has worked:
- Using the local town name in the headliner to prove I'm local
- Using terms in my headliner like 'I will get your site traffic; You have a pretty site now what?; First page of Google guaranteed in 3 months"
- The posts that actually get more responses for me are the ones where I'm very candid, talking from one guy to another, not like a business commercial. No images. Also I don't put business names or anything, I just sell myself not some company name. People tend to think they're getting a good deal when dealing with one guy not some red tape.
- As far as my copy, what's worked best is when I try to pull on the heart strings of the small business owner. I use terms like 'when was the last time you used the yellow pages to find something? Exactly. It's 2012 and 90% of Americans use the internet to find local businesses and services. Can they find you?"
- I'm targeting small businesses.. Not giant contracts. Stuff in the $500-1500/mo range. So if I come across like a fortune 500 in my ad, I will just be overlooked by these small businesses. There is value in small business- I use the phone book to see what niches people afford to take out a ridiculously expensive ad and then approach them because if they can justify that, they surely will afford my services, and get better performance.
- Using the words 'marketing' or 'SEO' in the headliner has never gotten me a call
- Putting images or business names or anything else that seems like a very expensive deal in my copy has never worked for me.
- Sounding more like a commercial than a person talking
- Putting prices
- Posting in nearby cities Craigslist- but I wonder how well this could do, as I've noticed people tend to like local - Have you done this with success?
- Only renewing it when Craigslist lets me: have you guys used auto-posting software with success?
- Probably not posting in the best topics: Computer services and stuff like that. What topics do you guys post in?