Do I take on this client? Or say peace!!

17 replies
just looking for opinions

I offered to build a website for this guy for free with a 25/mo hosting plan to cover associated costs. He's himming and hawing he says that's to high in UK( im in US) he wants to pay 15. The only reason I haven't cut him loose yet because is normally I offer seo/social media/adwords. This might be an opportunity to expand, create a site to show other potential clients or in your experience is this guy just going to be too much of a pain in the long run?
#client #peace
  • human nature : we value more what moves away from us.

    do a Take Away.

    you will know if he sees value or he's a BS'er

    IMO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843016].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author somacorellc
      Originally Posted by kirbymarketingconcierge View Post

      human nature : we value more what moves away from us.
      Your posts are really weird lately.

      I would walk. You're doing a website which is easily worth $2,000 and hosting which is worth $30/mo and he's only paying you $15 a month? So over the course of a year you're earning $180 from this guy. Is that worth it?

      I'd say far from it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843037].message }}
      • Originally Posted by somacorellc View Post

        Your posts are really weird lately.

        I would walk. You're doing a website which is easily worth $2,000 and hosting which is worth $30/mo and he's only paying you $15 a month? So over the course of a year you're earning $180 from this guy. Is that worth it?

        I'd say far from it.

        that's funny. but I feel weird.

        my apologies.

        a little sick and suffered a sports injury. medicated & laid out a bit.

        I will edit what I say before I respond right away ...or drop off for a little bit.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843994].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    I would normally say if you just want to add to portfolio then getting a few bucks is better than nothing BUT in this case working with this joker is likely going to cost you money.
    This kind of guy will suck the motivation right out of you and leave you wondering why you are even in this business.
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843030].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mojo1
      You can create a site, several demo sites really on a subdomain from your main business website that feature different types of industries and use this to show potential clients.

      Who says that your portfolio has to consist of actual current clients?

      One of the main reasons to show a portfolio is to simply show the quality of your work.

      You could always create the site for him, get his testimonial in writing about the quality of your work but keep ownership of the site on your server and perhaps only release access when you guys can reach an price agreement.

      Don't let whether you have live clients keep you from building a portfolio to show potential clients.

      Clothing designers don't. Typically they design and make their creations first prior to acquiring actual buyers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843068].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dreadpiraterobby
        Hey great idea about subdomains - sometimes I can be such a linear thinker!
        I chose not to work with this guy just because he was starting to seem like he didnt even want to pay the 15 and I just can't work with that but I will definitely do some subdomain demos... thanks


        Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post

        You can create a site, several demo sites really on a subdomain from your main business website that feature different types of industries and use this to show potential clients.

        Who says that your portfolio has to consist of actual current clients?

        One of the main reasons to show a portfolio is to simply show the quality of your work.

        You could always create the site for him, get his testimonial in writing about the quality of your work but keep ownership of the site on your server and perhaps only release access when you guys can reach an price agreement.

        Don't let whether you have live clients keep you from building a portfolio to show potential clients.

        Clothing designers don't. Typically they design and make their creations first prior to acquiring actual buyers.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843140].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author PatrickIcasas
          Originally Posted by dreadpiraterobby View Post

          Hey great idea about subdomains - sometimes I can be such a linear thinker!
          I chose not to work with this guy just because he was starting to seem like he didnt even want to pay the 15 and I just can't work with that but I will definitely do some subdomain demos... thanks
          Good for you, Robby.

          If it were just designing a site then yes, you could've worked a lower rate for your portfolio because there would be an end to that project (and therefore a cap on the cost). But hosting is a recurring cost that will keep piling up, making it even more unattractive for the client to pay off even at a discounted rate.
          Signature

          Write. Edit. Rinse. Repeat.
          http://patrickicasas.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843594].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author volit
            I never take the classic cheapo client because they never buy upsells. They end up wasting your time over a measly $15 a month. It's insane.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843639].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PeacefulCalamity
    Hell no. If he's fretting over $10 then he's a classic cheapskate. Even if it meant upselling, which I understand, he's going to be a pain in the rear since a lot of these "cheapskates" are.

    I think you'll get pretty similar responses from most people who reply to the thread too.
    Signature

    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843052].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dreadpiraterobby
    haha your right guys just needed some affirmation to walk... I'm sure I'll regret it later and if he's so cheap I will most likely not get any upsell.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843063].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dreadpiraterobby
    thanks at everyone!! why I love WF
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843945].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dreadpiraterobby
    hahaha everyone just checked my email.... lame cheapo is fine with 25/month... classic!!lesson learned
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HostWind
    Why are you offering free sites? They better be darn simple! You are selling yourself short and automatically targetting the cheapskates.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danielsteven
    Get out while you can... I'm dealing with a client right now that I should've just said no too when we started a few months back.. It really isn't worth it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844327].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bluecoyotemedia
    you better make sure you have this guy on AUTOPAY!!!!


    also please don't use the words "Includes Hosting" as the first phrase but

    say $25 a month which includes minor edits, updates and maintenance and hosting.

    and if he gives you any shite tell him he is a wanker LOL

    only kidding

    eddie
    Signature

    Skunkworks: noun. informal.

    A clandestine group operating without any external intervention or oversight. Such groups achieve significant breakthroughs rarely discussed in public because they operate "outside the box".
    https://short-stuff.com/-Mjk0fDExOA==

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844357].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author massiveray
    If he were with me, for a free site he'd be paying £50 a month, and he wanted to pay $15 haha, I bet he shopped around a little in the UK and realised that $25 was a great deal.

    Lock him in for 2 edits per month and $25 a month is a great deal for you. With these types of guys tho, he'll make sure that he uses every edit you allow him so set your boundaries early.

    Create an edit sheet and tell him that he needs to fill it out for each edit and it needs to be with you by 9am on Monday 15th (for example) and edits will be completed by 30th. Don't let him be in control.
    Signature

    Join my private strategy group on Facebook or find out how I made £2000 recurring in 2 weeks.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844391].message }}

Trending Topics