Is There a Way To Track Craigslist Ad Loads?

8 replies
Does anyone know of a way to insert a bit of code into a Craigslist ad (or a few thousand) and be able to track how many times people view the ad?

I'm mostly interested in split testing titles.
#craigslist #loads #track
  • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
    Originally Posted by maxrezn View Post

    Does anyone know of a way to insert a bit of code into a Craigslist ad (or a few thousand) and be able to track how many times people view the ad?

    I'm mostly interested in split testing titles.
    a picture on your own server... and in your add.

    it can be tiny .. one pixel, same background color if you don't
    want any one to see it.


    bamm .

    if your doing multi adds, don't forget to change the name, and path
    of the pic
    Signature

    Selling Ain't for Sissies!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6895606].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zen Warrior
      Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

      a picture on your own server... and in your add.

      it can be tiny .. one pixel, same background color if you don't
      want any one to see it.


      bamm .

      if your doing multi adds, don't forget to change the name, and path
      of the pic
      Could you or someone else elaborate on this? I am not an expert coder, but I catch on quick

      thanks
      Signature



      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6901512].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author buttonlife
        Originally Posted by Zen Warrior View Post

        Could you or someone else elaborate on this? I am not an expert coder, but I catch on quick

        thanks
        He is saying that by adding your own picture in your ad from your own directory, you can check how many times the image has been viewed. This lets you know how many click-throughs you are getting therefore allowing you to split test your ad.

        By having the image on your own server he means to upload an image to your directory, which is where all of your files are located. You do this because you can check the stats of the image since it's in your directory.

        The reason why he is saying to use a 1px image is so no one can tell you have the image there. No reason to draw someones attention off of your sales page.

        Also when he says to change the name of the image, he is stating that you need to have different "copies" of your image saved under different names. He also means by changing the path of the images that you need to have the image coming from different locations, so it seems like it is a different image to CL.

        Example:
        <img src="randomsite.com/images/craigad.jpg" />
        The bold is the path. If CL sees you posting an image in multiple ads that has the same path, then you will get flagged for spamming. So if you instead of posting the same path over and over again do this for your second ad:
        <img src="randomsite.com/images/iloveads.jpg" />Then this appears as 2 completely different images, since there coming from 2 completely different locations. Make sense?

        If you are still confused about paths, I found this on the first page of Google by typing "what is a path html": Absolute and Relative Paths

        It's pretty thorough.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6901661].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wally247
          Originally Posted by Weedy92 View Post

          Insert 1x1 image with html code, track # of requests, pretty simple stuff.
          Originally Posted by buttonlife View Post

          He is saying that by adding your own picture in your ad from your own directory, you can check how many times the image has been viewed. This lets you know how many click-throughs you are getting therefore allowing you to split test your ad.

          By having the image on your own server he means to upload an image to your directory, which is where all of your files are located. You do this because you can check the stats of the image since it's in your directory.

          The reason why he is saying to use a 1px image is so no one can tell you have the image there. No reason to draw someones attention off of your sales page.

          Also when he says to change the name of the image, he is stating that you need to have different "copies" of your image saved under different names. He also means by changing the path of the images that you need to have the image coming from different locations, so it seems like it is a different image to CL.

          Example:
          <img src="randomsite.com/images/craigad.jpg" />
          The bold is the path. If CL sees you posting an image in multiple ads that has the same path, then you will get flagged for spamming. So if you instead of posting the same path over and over again do this for your second ad:
          <img src="randomsite.com/images/iloveads.jpg" />Then this appears as 2 completely different images, since there coming from 2 completely different locations. Make sense?

          If you are still confused about paths, I found this on the first page of Google by typing "what is a path html": Absolute and Relative Paths

          It's pretty thorough.


          Thanks a lot for explaining this, I wasn't doing this with my ads.


          So where does the tracking come from?


          Is this similar to how guys use things like Prosper202 to track ads? Sorry if I sound stupid, I haven't done this before, but other than the actual tracking I think I get it.


          Thanks!


          I think I found a way.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6905203].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rearden
    You probably already know this, but if you want to test actual response, use a different phone number that can forward directly to your main line.
    Signature
    David Duford -- Providing On-Going, Personalized Mentorship And Training From A Real Final Expense Producer To Agents New To The Final Expense Life Insurance Business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6895629].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6895653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Weedy92
    Insert 1x1 image with html code, track # of requests, pretty simple stuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6901821].message }}

Trending Topics