Do You Prospect for Offline Clients Using Email? Increase Your Response Rate By 50% With This Tactic

50 replies
Hiya Warriors,

Okay, I see a lot of of warriors who are in the offline consulting business ask questions about client prospecting using emails, and the common questions I see is how to make the emails more effective.

Plus, some folks sell WSOs on how to find prospects using emails and a lot of warriors buy them. I also have bought 2 0r 3 of them but the WSOs don't say what to do AFTER you fire off the first email to a local business prospect.

Some even go as far as saying you shouldn't bother with the ones that do not respond to you, because they're not interested.

I find that that isn't the case.

Here in this post, I'll show you how to increase the response rates from the emails you send out to clients by at least 50%.

Business owners are notorious for ignoring cold-emails. You send 100 eMails, wait for a callback and sometimes you just can’t get it. Your deal is stalled. You are confused because you're not even sure they're interested or not.

As far as landing clients go, you should be actively dis-qualifying prospects as much as you’re qualifying them.

A lot of times it’s worth eliminating prospects who just won't be bothered from your pipeline. This will keep your pipeline clean, save you time and enable focus on those who are interested.

The reason is if they don’t have the BANT (Budget, Authority, Need, Timeframe) then you’re probably better off applying your time somewhere else.

With this template, you will get them to quit stalling and make a decision either way.

When you can’t get a callback, try this somewhat humorous email, courtesy of Mike Brooks. It’s the somewhat provocative subject line that gets them to open the email and pay attention.

Copy it right out of here and try it on one of your prospects right now.

Email Subject Line: Should I stay or should I go?

Mr. Prospect –

I haven't heard back from you and that tells me one of three things:

1) You've already chosen another company for this and if that's the case, please let me know so can I stop bothering you.

2) You're still interested but haven't had the time to get back to me yet.

3) You've fallen and can't get up and in that case please let me know and I'll call 911 for you ...

Please let me know which one it is because I'm starting to worry ...

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Your Name
Your Phone Number


Discussion:

The email's subject line is somewhat provocative, but the ―humor in the body smooths it out a little. Sure, this email is a bit casual and maybe even sound a little stupid, but you’re not trying to win an etiquette award here; you’re trying to get a callback and get some more information to see if it’s worth spending more time and more thought with this prospect.

If you’re comfortable using emoticons, you might throw in a wink. If you’re not comfortable being causal over email, I suggest you push yourself to try something new. A whole generation has grown up with email and texting now, and they keep it short, sweet, and casual. Try it.
#50% #clients #consulting #email #increase #offline #prospect #rate #response #tactic
  • Profile picture of the author justmerob
    Originally Posted by Ronald Nzimora View Post

    Hiya Warriors,

    Okay, I see a lot of of warriors who are in the offline consulting business ask questions about client prospecting using emails, and the common questions I see is how to make the emails more effective.

    Plus, some folks sell WSOs on how to find prospects using emails and a lot of warriors buy them. I also have bought 2 0r 3 of them but the WSOs don't say what to do AFTER you fire off the first email to a local business prospect.

    Some even go as far as saying you shouldn't bother with the ones that do not respond to you, because they're not interested.

    I find that that isn't the case.

    Here in this post, I'll show you how to increase the response rates from the emails you send out to clients by at least 50%.

    Business owners are notorious for ignoring cold-emails. You send 100 eMails, wait for a callback and sometimes you just can't get it. Your deal is stalled. You are confused because you're not even sure they're interested or not.

    As far as landing clients go, you should be actively dis-qualifying prospects as much as you're qualifying them.

    A lot of times it's worth eliminating prospects who just won't be bothered from your pipeline. This will keep your pipeline clean, save you time and enable focus on those who are interested.

    The reason is if they don't have the BANT (Budget, Authority, Need, Timeframe) then you're probably better off applying your time somewhere else.

    With this template, you will get them to quit stalling and make a decision either way.

    When you can't get a callback, try this somewhat humorous email, courtesy of Mike Brooks. It's the somewhat provocative subject line that gets them to open the email and pay attention.

    Copy it right out of here and try it on one of your prospects right now.

    Email Subject Line: Should I stay or should I go?

    Mr. Prospect -

    I haven't heard back from you and that tells me one of three things:

    1) You've already chosen another company for this and if that's the case, please let me know so can I stop bothering you.

    2) You're still interested but haven't had the time to get back to me yet.

    3) You've fallen and can't get up and in that case please let me know and I'll call 911 for you ...

    Please let me know which one it is because I'm starting to worry ...

    Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you.

    Your Name
    Your Phone Number


    Discussion:

    The email's subject line is somewhat provocative, but the ―humor in the body smooths it out a little. Sure, this email is a bit casual and maybe even sound a little stupid, but you're not trying to win an etiquette award here; you're trying to get a callback and get some more information to see if it's worth spending more time and more thought with this prospect.

    If you're comfortable using emoticons, you might throw in a wink. If you're not comfortable being causal over email, I suggest you push yourself to try something new. A whole generation has grown up with email and texting now, and they keep it short, sweet, and casual. Try it.
    Great tip here IMO and for as early as it is here, I LOL'd and spit my coffee out over the "911" part! Will be trying this out with a few clients here soon Thanks!
    Signature
    "There are no magic wands, no hidden tricks, and no secret handshakes that can bring you immediate success, but with time, energy, and determination you can get there."
    -- Darren Rowse, Founder - Problogger
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6912966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mark healy
    i agree with qualifying prospects and email can work, you could also try phoning them , just make sure you have a high converting script that works.

    If your going down the email route to get prospects i would give away free report/info first that way it breaks down any pre-sale barrriers and then follow up, just make sure your subject line in your email will pull.

    great tips

    Thanks

    Marks
    Signature

    Build a Real Online Business from scratch today!
    Get Your FREE Webinar Training Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6912997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    Great email however in the USA that type of email sent cold to a business is against the law. Sorry = ( I know it kind of rains on your parade but we should be abiding by the law as responsible businesses should.

    The subject line MUST communicate the commercial intent of the email.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6913088].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
      Originally Posted by mark healy View Post

      i agree with qualifying prospects and email can work, you could also try phoning them , just make sure you have a high converting script that works.

      If your going down the email route to get prospects i would give away free report/info first that way it breaks down any pre-sale barrriers and then follow up, just make sure your subject line in your email will pull.

      great tips

      Thanks

      Marks
      Marks, giving away free info is fine. The only thing that dissuades me from doing that is, if they don't read the email, how sure am I they will read the report?

      Great idea, that needs testing though.

      - Ron

      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      Great email however in the USA that type of email sent cold to a business is against the law. Sorry = ( I know it kind of rains on your parade but we should be abiding by the law as responsible businesses should.

      The subject line MUST communicate the commercial intent of the email.
      Rus,

      Uh oh! I didn't know that.

      Thanks for pointing that out.

      Sure, I'm all for following the law. If it's legal to send as is, where you are and you're reading this, then sure enough, do go ahead and test it. If not, then edit accordingly.

      And Rus,you are not raining on my parade at all.

      We are all here to learn even more

      - Ron
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6913413].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Carl Fridsjö
      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      Great email however in the USA that type of email sent cold to a business is against the law. Sorry = ( I know it kind of rains on your parade but we should be abiding by the law as responsible businesses should.

      The subject line MUST communicate the commercial intent of the email.
      What if the clients has shown interest before? Either by replying to a previous email or on the phone.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6914212].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
        Originally Posted by Carl Fridsjö View Post

        What if the clients has shown interest before? Either by replying to a previous email or on the phone.
        Okay, if they have replied a previous email before and fr whatever reason didn't contact you again or you didnt get back to you after you spoke on the phone send them this email:

        Email Subject Line: Look at these results

        Dear Mr. Prospect,

        Since our last conversation, I've been building out the financial model of the impact our partnership would have on your business. I know you get these things all the time, but this time, even being conservative with it, I'm showing the end result as a cash positive project for you guys after only three months of working together.

        Over [X] months/years, we can add more than $[XX] hundred thousand to your bottom line! Everyday we're not on this is another day we're missing.

        Let's at least get the implementation team scheduled for a preliminary discussion. And I would be happy to review my spreadsheet with you before then. Can we schedule for Tuesday afternoon of next week? ... or is this Friday better.
        let me know,

        Your Name
        Your Phone Number


        PS: looking forward to sharing these financials with you.

        This email addresses ―lack of urgency type situations. It shows you have been doing some planning for the prospect; the output of which demonstrates a desirable benefit, such as more profit, cut costs, enhance, preserve, protect, relieve, avoid, etc. The ―spreadsheet you share can be very simple. If you are selling a product or service that does not necessarily make them more money, show how much cost savings or time savings they will see over the course of a week, a month, and a year.

        Hope that helps.

        - Ron
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6914322].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      Great email however in the USA that type of email sent cold to a business is against the law. Sorry = ( I know it kind of rains on your parade but we should be abiding by the law as responsible businesses should.

      The subject line MUST communicate the commercial intent of the email.
      Are you sure? If you have had previous direct contact with a prospect (i.e. they have replied to an earlier email or they have filled out a form on your website) then it comes under "relational" emailing and like transactional emails does not have the same strict rules.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6915593].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Croque
      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      Great email however in the USA that type of email sent cold to a business is against the law. Sorry = ( I know it kind of rains on your parade but we should be abiding by the law as responsible businesses should.

      The subject line MUST communicate the commercial intent of the email.
      "Responsible" businesses brake the law all the time .

      However for what I understand this is not a "cold" email, this is a follow up contact after the initial commercial intent has already been establish.

      In any case that's a great email that will definitely get the recipients attention and make you memorable.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6916103].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        Yes, that's is exactly right but that doesn't give license.

        Originally Posted by Croque View Post

        "Responsible" businesses brake the law all the time .

        However for what I understand this is not a "cold" email, this is a follow up contact after the initial commercial intent has already been establish.

        In any case that's a great email that will definitely get the recipients attention and make you memorable.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6919956].message }}
    • Rus,

      I disagree that this email would be illegal in U.S.
      It would be illegal to send this to a business that you have not been in contact with, yes,
      but this is a follow up email to a non responsive prospect that is already in your pipeline.

      In that scenario this email would be perfectly legal.

      Just my 2 cents though, I'm definitely not an attorney!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7255451].message }}
      • I do like the humorous aspect you played with in your email. I can see my self giving it a try. I've far too often landed on cold leads who wouldn't answer or even open the email I sent for that matter. Maybe if this works, i can catch them on the rebound and net a few more deals.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7256132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KristofferIM
    This is gonna be a win for anyone who´s not doing anything with prospects that don't answer for sure.

    I don't know how well your email converts. But I do know that giving them a second hit is gonna drum up more business than not doing anything at all.

    Nice share & thanks for the reminder.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6913425].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
      Thanks.

      Glad you found it useful.



      Originally Posted by KristofferIM View Post

      This is gonna be a win for anyone who´s not doing anything with prospects that don't answer for sure.

      I don't know how well your email converts. But I do know that giving them a second hit is gonna drum up more business than not doing anything at all.

      Nice share & thanks for the reminder.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6913838].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rushindo
    Ronald,

    Interesting post. Following up with unresponsive prospects is always smart, however you decide to go about it. Sometimes people just forget to reply to your first email, like I do all the time! There are times when I read an email, plan to get back with the individual, and I just forget.

    But in all honestly, I'm done with selling to businesses by email, at least for the initial contact. Who has time to wait around wondering if they read your email, hoping they respond, hoping it didn't go to spam, wondering if they deleted it, etc? Why not just pick up the phone?

    I used to hate so called cold calling and I always tried to find a way to make email work. Nowadays, I cringe at trying to make sales via email when I can just pick up the phone. It makes absolutely zero sense to me to prospect via email, no matter how much I WANT selling by email to work.

    But that's just me. Good share though. I'm sure it will help people that use email to prospect.

    Brandon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6914119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ImDanHoward
    A personal video message via Facebook has a great open rate and return message.
    Signature

    Helping you go ALL In, in life...so you can L.I.V.E ALL out! Catch your Dreams, don't just chase em'! Click here if you're ready for a New Life and New Dreams?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6914886].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RussellMax
      Originally Posted by ImDanHoward View Post

      A personal video message via Facebook has a great open rate and return message.
      Facebook is a powerful tool if used this way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6922177].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AndrewCavanagh
      Originally Posted by ImDanHoward View Post

      A personal video message via Facebook has a great open rate and return message.
      Yes and any other email that's clearly personalized to
      them and addresses their needs and wants.

      Asking if they're going to hire you just talks about what
      you want.

      Most of your follow up should be heavily focused on what
      THEY want.

      You could send a series of different emails...each giving
      another tip about their website or their marketing.

      If you're targeting a prospect who is worth getting as a
      client (think $1,000+ a month) then this kind of
      personalization is worth the effort.

      Generally speaking the reason you don't get a response
      from many prospects is because you aren't even on the
      radar yet.

      One email or contact usually won't get you on the radar.

      You need multiple contacts that share valuable information
      customized to them and their business if you want them
      to really start thinking of you as someone who can help
      them.

      Kindest regards,
      Andrew Cavanagh
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8626878].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    I think stuff like this is why people fail at their business when counting on email. People don't know what they're doing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6916175].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Unisons
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      I think stuff like this is why people fail at their business when counting on email. People don't know what they're doing.
      Iamnameless, would love to hear some input from you on this
      Signature

      Grab your highest quality and converting traffic to your offers @ www.AlvinSoloAds.com (Loads of sales/customers!)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6917019].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
      Would you care to elaborate?

      You just got a lot of folks confused with your post.

      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      I think stuff like this is why people fail at their business when counting on email. People don't know what they're doing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6918965].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author YellowGreenMedia
        Originally Posted by Ronald Nzimora View Post

        Would you care to elaborate?

        You just got a lot of folks confused with your post.
        I can do it for him, you need to go pick up the phone and cold call, cus cold calling is the best thing to find new clients..

        email sucks, nobody reads emails...

        cold calling all the way .... yeahhhh!!!!

        No thanks

        Dave.


        PS
        I do email prospecting in the US for my mobile site service right now, and it works great.... Make sure people who you cold mail have a way to opt out, get these people of your list like Ken Michaels recommended, and repeat sending your messages to your cleaned list...

        I use Thunderbird and mailmerge (TB addone) to personalize the email with their name and company name, this way you will get even more response back, getting a 5% response rate is doable pretty quickly....

        Or you might like calling people of course
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6919911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
    OK for those not in the know.. SHOCKER.

    for those who actually do email on a real level. not so much.

    Here is the deal.

    Send .... PERIOD. then clean your list of removes.

    next week send the same list for the same product.
    clean the list.

    If you want the most out of your list .. $ wise .. you need to clean the removes out
    and send them once a week for a few months.

    yes, the same list for the same product. OVER AND OVER.

    you will see your best purchases / hits on ths second and third mailing.

    now you start cycling different msgs... for same product.

    some where around the 8th it will start to dwindle.

    Now, IF you remove your removes, and you keep stats.

    when you are done with a cycle. then the list is now clean.

    leave it alone for 2-3 months. Then start over. ( same product, same set of msg's )

    Yes. It is that easy.

    Clean your list and keep a schedule of which msgs, you have sent.

    easy peasy.

    in a nutshell, what i am saying is simple. People need to see your msg approx 6 times.
    A lot want it when they see it, but have excuses not to buy.

    Also when they see it over and over... they know your for real.. it ads
    credibility...
    Signature

    Selling Ain't for Sissies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6916230].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
      Thanks Ken,

      Exactly what I was trying to show by providing those 2 email templates.

      Great input from you.

      Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

      OK for those not in the know.. SHOCKER.

      for those who actually do email on a real level. not so much.

      Here is the deal.

      Send .... PERIOD. then clean your list of removes.

      next week send the same list for the same product.
      clean the list.

      If you want the most out of your list .. $ wise .. you need to clean the removes out
      and send them once a week for a few months.

      yes, the same list for the same product. OVER AND OVER.

      you will see your best purchases / hits on ths second and third mailing.

      now you start cycling different msgs... for same product.

      some where around the 8th it will start to dwindle.

      Now, IF you remove your removes, and you keep stats.

      when you are done with a cycle. then the list is now clean.

      leave it alone for 2-3 months. Then start over. ( same product, same set of msg's )

      Yes. It is that easy.

      Clean your list and keep a schedule of which msgs, you have sent.

      easy peasy.

      in a nutshell, what i am saying is simple. People need to see your msg approx 6 times.
      A lot want it when they see it, but have excuses not to buy.

      Also when they see it over and over... they know your for real.. it ads
      credibility...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6918976].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mike_lucas
      Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

      OK for those not in the know.. SHOCKER.

      for those who actually do email on a real level. not so much.

      Here is the deal.

      Send .... PERIOD. then clean your list of removes.

      next week send the same list for the same product.
      clean the list.

      If you want the most out of your list .. $ wise .. you need to clean the removes out
      and send them once a week for a few months.

      yes, the same list for the same product. OVER AND OVER.

      you will see your best purchases / hits on ths second and third mailing.

      now you start cycling different msgs... for same product.

      some where around the 8th it will start to dwindle.

      Now, IF you remove your removes, and you keep stats.

      when you are done with a cycle. then the list is now clean.

      leave it alone for 2-3 months. Then start over. ( same product, same set of msg's )

      Yes. It is that easy.

      Clean your list and keep a schedule of which msgs, you have sent.

      easy peasy.

      in a nutshell, what i am saying is simple. People need to see your msg approx 6 times.
      A lot want it when they see it, but have excuses not to buy.

      Also when they see it over and over... they know your for real.. it ads
      credibility...
      I see someone knows how to do a emailing campaign there are several various twist but cleaning your list is absolutely vital ( yes it really emailing if done right does still work, very well if you take the time to set up, track etc ) ....shhhhhhh ken I like it when people say emails don't work :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6924267].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claire Koch
        This just bothers me if anyone asked me if I didn't respond because I've might have fallen and can't get it up I really don't even think I'd laugh at that. I mean I hate that stupid commercial. Mean while all you guys are having arguments about who's the smartest emailer's in town. LOL. Who cares if you are or you are not.

        I emailed two people once and got one response out of 2. I'm just sayin. 10,000 emails at once hide your ip thats called SPAM.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6994052].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author spaniard26
          Originally Posted by Claire Koch View Post

          This just bothers me if anyone asked me if I didn't respond because I've might have fallen and can't get it up I really don't even think I'd laugh at that. I mean I hate that stupid commercial. Mean while all you guys are having arguments about who's the smartest emailer's in town. LOL. Who cares if you are or you are not.

          I emailed two people once and got one response out of 2. I'm just sayin. 10,000 emails at once hide your ip thats called SPAM.
          ^^^^^^This
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6999140].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cozens
      I love this idea. I leave stop sending after the second one without a call back, i will simply feel they are not interested. I will apply this now.

      Thanks for dropping this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7384335].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RobLatch
    I am thinking of getting an offline business started to help with my online business. I had a meeting yesterday with a wine cellar businessman who has been around for 21+ years. He is working with a poor web consultant and only has 5 links and doesn't even rank on Alexa traffic. I am helping him to get high page rank with some organic SEO and will later use his story as a case study to get future clients. Building trust is a big first step for any new business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6917001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    This is an ok follow up email for a prospect you have spoken to and/or one who requested info form you. But I would never send it to someone who was cold.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6919953].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
      No one ever suggested sending any of the emails, the first or the second to a cold prospect.

      Originally Posted by Aaron Doud View Post

      This is an ok follow up email for a prospect you have spoken to and/or one who requested info form you. But I would never send it to someone who was cold.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6920376].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
        Originally Posted by Ronald Nzimora View Post

        No one ever suggested sending any of the emails, the first or the second to a cold prospect.
        You mention cold-email multiple times. Reread your first post. I am sorry if I misunderstood you. But from my reading this would be a second(or third, etc) email as a follow up to a cold email you sent. I took it to mean they would still be cold.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6920467].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
          Hi Aaron,

          I didn't say that to put you down or anything.

          But I have re-read my first post and it was very clear what I said.

          If you re-read, you'll see that I had already assumed that the first cold-email had already been sent.

          So you got it wrong. Not that it matters anyway. We are all here tolearn and I appreciate you taking the time to contribute.

          Hope business is doing great.

          Regards,

          - Ron

          Originally Posted by Aaron Doud View Post

          You mention cold-email multiple times. Reread your first post. I am sorry if I misunderstood you. But from my reading this would be a second(or third, etc) email as a follow up to a cold email you sent. I took it to mean they would still be cold.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6920782].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
            Originally Posted by YellowGreenMedia View Post

            I can do it for him, you need to go pick up the phone and cold call, cus cold calling is the best thing to find new clients..

            email sucks, nobody reads emails...

            cold calling all the way .... yeahhhh!!!!

            No thanks

            Dave.


            PS
            I do email prospecting in the US for my mobile site service right now, and it works great.... Make sure people who you cold mail have a way to opt out, get these people of your list like Ken Michaels recommended, and repeat sending your messages to your cleaned list...

            I use Thunderbird and mailmerge (TB addone) to personalize the email with their name and company name, this way you will get even more response back, getting a 5% response rate is doable pretty quickly....

            Or you might like calling people of course
            I'd suggest instead of trying to insult me or making assumptions, read my posts. I don't just cold call... in fact, I can guarantee that I probably make more sales through email than you do.

            THE FACT REMAINS, most people don't use email the right way. The OP included.

            This doesn't increase response rate... response rate is PER EMAIL.. if you send out to 10K people, the response rate of your first email doesn't change, it is only the response rate of the 2nd. I personally don't like this tactic because in my opinion it doesn't work well. If I send out 6 different postcards and the last one says Your business is going into the trash just like this postcard probably will.... and I get a couple more responses out of it, it doesn't improve my overall campaign response rate, it improves on ONE SEND.

            Ken is right.... except mine I send once a week for 12 weeks.

            You using thunderbird shows how much or how much you really don't use email as a form of marketing. I'd suggest to anyone NOT to use any email that is going to share your IP and host in the header since you WILL get blastlisted.

            Next time you try to mock me, get your facts straight. My worst form of lead generation is probably better than your best form.

            The email gurus always come out every couple months getting people excited thinking it's easy but it isn't easy. They usually make 1-2 sales and think they're an expert but realize it tapers off so they need to sell their strategy in order to keep money coming in. LOL. It's a mindset of so many people.

            This is a marketing forum.... this is BUSINESS. If you're not willing to go the extra mile, combine techniques in your overall strategy, you probably won't be that successful.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6920850].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
              @ iAmNameLess,

              I just saw that you were unjustly attacked, and well, the guy himself knows why. It wasn't the best thing to do in my opinion. He is out of other.

              But you yourself have done the same, even though subtly.

              The emails I shared is something I just tried and it worked. And I got it from someone and tweaked it, and I specifically mentioned who that someone was. You can't simply dismiss it with a wave of the hand because you don't like it. It's for people to try it and it it works, then it works.

              As for the assumptions, your reply just smacks of arrogance. You just assumed I am an email guru. Hell NO! I am not. I just shared something that worked and I felt other people might need it.

              So because you don' favour something, then anyone that talks about it doesn't know what they're saying? You also post on this forum, and I don't remember coming on there and saying you're talking thrash! Or claim that you don't know what you are saying, because I don't like what you recommend or suggested. There's a fine line between shedding more light on a topic and claiming God-like knowledge.

              This is not a fight. This is just to clear the assumptions you are making, trying to say I am an email guru or I don't know anything about using emails.

              I never meant that you can increase response on the first send. Damn! You can't resend something that's already sent! You can only send another email to try and improve response. That's what the original post is about.

              Marketing is marketing. eMail is just a marketing medium and is one I use lesser than the others. I do direct mail, flyer campaigns, I host free business workshops, etc. I don't do post cards, because here, we don't send or use them.

              Below is another thread have another thread where I have started my goals and how I approach my business.

              http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...-business.html

              So take it easy.

              - Ron



              Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

              I'd suggest instead of trying to insult me or making assumptions, read my posts. I don't just cold call... in fact, I can guarantee that I probably make more sales through email than you do.

              THE FACT REMAINS, most people don't use email the right way. The OP included.

              This doesn't increase response rate... response rate is PER EMAIL.. if you send out to 10K people, the response rate of your first email doesn't change, it is only the response rate of the 2nd. I personally don't like this tactic because in my opinion it doesn't work well. If I send out 6 different postcards and the last one says Your business is going into the trash just like this postcard probably will.... and I get a couple more responses out of it, it doesn't improve my overall campaign response rate, it improves on ONE SEND.

              Ken is right.... except mine I send once a week for 12 weeks.

              You using thunderbird shows how much or how much you really don't use email as a form of marketing. I'd suggest to anyone NOT to use any email that is going to share your IP and host in the header since you WILL get blastlisted.

              Next time you try to mock me, get your facts straight. My worst form of lead generation is probably better than your best form.

              The email gurus always come out every couple months getting people excited thinking it's easy but it isn't easy. They usually make 1-2 sales and think they're an expert but realize it tapers off so they need to sell their strategy in order to keep money coming in. LOL. It's a mindset of so many people.

              This is a marketing forum.... this is BUSINESS. If you're not willing to go the extra mile, combine techniques in your overall strategy, you probably won't be that successful.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6920975].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
                Originally Posted by Ronald Nzimora View Post

                @ iAmNameLess,

                I just saw that you were unjustly attacked, and well, the guy himself knows why. It wasn't the best thing to do in my opinion. He is out of other.

                But you yourself have done the same, even though subtly.

                The emails I shared is something I just tried and it worked. And I got it from someone and tweaked it, and I specifically mentioned who that someone was. You can't simply dismiss it with a wave of the hand because you don't like it. It's for people to try it and it it works, then it works.

                As for the assumptions, your reply just smacks of arrogance. You just assumed I am an email guru. Hell NO! I am not. I just shared something that worked and I felt other people might need it. If anything you are the email guru, because I got a WSO of yours where you specifically recommended sending emails. The 'Make Money While Hiding Behind Your Computer WSO.' Remember?

                You also post on this forum, and I don't remember coming on there and saying you're talking thrash! Or claim that you don't know what you are saying, because I don't like what you recommend or suggested.

                This is not a fight. This is just to clear the assumptions you are making, trying to say I am an email guru or I don't know anything about using emails.

                I never meant that you can increase response on the first send. Damn! You can't resend something that's already sent! You can only send another email to try and improve response. That's what my post is about.

                Marketing is marketing. eMail is just a marketing medium and is one I use lesser than the others. I do direct mail, flyer campaigns, I host free business workshops, etc. I don't do post cards, because here, we don't send or use them.

                Below is another thread have another thread where I have started my goals and how I approach my business.

                http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...-business.html

                So take it easy.

                - Ron
                No no no... first of all, you're speaking about things you're increasingly showing you know nothing about. You have NEVER, EVER EVER EVER bought a WSO by me, and it DEFINITELY wouldn't have been titled that. Talking about accusations...

                I was just making a statement that email gurus always pop up then they always disappear. Why do you think that is? It's because they don't know what they're doing. I didn't say you were an email guru, if you took it that way, then whatever. Not my fault for you confusing what I was saying.

                This may have worked for you, but you're out of touch just like everyone else. 2 emails? You think that's going to give you a business to run? No... it won't. The wording you had, I don't believe will get results. Why are you satisfied with a small sample size when you can do more? Email marketing is mostly about delivery, getting people to open, and the copy. A second email like you sent is gimmicky at best. One you sent or posted after your OP, I don't see how you can even get 10% opens with that subject line. The content was bad from a copy standpoint. I'm not ripping on you, just your copy... it has a lot of room for improvement.

                P.S. Your PS's need to be strong because they stick out the most and are usually the first things that get read in short copy.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6921079].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
                  Sure valid points you have made.

                  Like I said. We ALL are here to get better.

                  Of course, relying on eMail alone is definitely a bad marketing decision.

                  Personally, I do best with cold calling. direct mail and hosting seminars. I only shared because I felt it would help someone.

                  If you have a better way to send email and make it work or maybe a previous post, would you mind sharing it here?

                  Regards,

                  Ron

                  Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post


                  This may have worked for you, but you're out of touch just like everyone else. 2 emails? You think that's going to give you a business to run? No... it won't. The wording you had, I don't believe will get results. Why are you satisfied with a small sample size when you can do more? Email marketing is mostly about delivery, getting people to open, and the copy. A second email like you sent is gimmicky at best. One you sent or posted after your OP, I don't see how you can even get 10% opens with that subject line. The content was bad from a copy standpoint. I'm not ripping on you, just your copy... it has a lot of room for improvement.

                  P.S. Your PS's need to be strong because they stick out the most and are usually the first things that get read in short copy.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6921417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    Yes I know the first cold email has been sent. But just because they got sent one email that they instantly deleted(trust me I do this some times 12 times a day) does not IMO make them warm.

    This is a cold follow up to a cold email and IMO it isn't really great on that. It is a solid final follow up email. I've used similar myself. And while it may catch someone and get them to reply it IMO is not the best follow up to use.

    I still think following a cold email or cold direct mail you should call them. You need to mix media. You need to show them you are not just the guy sending out emails.

    Think about it this way.
    Cold email #1: I am 99.9999% of people you emailed likely just deleted it.
    Cold email #2(this one): If I don't like it I might just report you for spam. Now if I like it I might call you as well. But the problem is that as far as I am concerned it is still a cold email. Hell you can send it as the first email and I wouldn't know the difference. I would just assume one of the cold emails I deleted in the last month was the first you sent.

    As others have pointed out it is techinically illegal in the US (not that anyone cares). And why 99% of those you are contacting will not care if it is legal that isn't to say they won't be put off by it.

    And as a cold email does it make you stand out? Maybe or maybe not. I personally don't think so.

    It does however IMO work as a good final warm follow up. The kind of email you send to the guy who isn't returning your phone calls. You pitched him and now you are sending one last email in hopes to bring the sale back to life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6921064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    I've used the same formula (humor) to see if I can prompt someone who fell off the face of the earth to reply after making initial contact with me, and yes it works maybe 50% of the time. Using humor shows that you're not rigid and angry about them not replying and that you won't bite, but I think also what's at play here is the thing in people where some don't want to be seen as rude even by strangers, and after seeing how good natured you are (because you used humor and made them laugh) it prompts them to reply.

    Thing is, most didn't reply in the first place because they actually weren't all that interested and this doesn't get them any more interested so it all does is give them another opportunity to stall, after they apologize for not getting back to you and offer up a litany of excuses for not being able to get back to you, even though apparently they are able to get back to you all this time after all, because they just did.
    Signature
    "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6922353].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ronald Nzimora
      Thanks misterme!

      That's exactly the point!

      In emails, you want to approach people from different personality angles.

      Thanks for contributing.

      - Ron

      Originally Posted by misterme View Post

      I've used the same formula (humor) to see if I can prompt someone who fell off the face of the earth to reply after making initial contact with me, and yes it works maybe 50% of the time. Using humor shows that you're not rigid and angry about them not replying and that you won't bite, but I think also what's at play here is the thing in people where some don't want to be seen as rude even by strangers, and after seeing how good natured you are (because you used humor and made them laugh) it prompts them to reply.

      Thing is, most didn't reply in the first place because they actually weren't all that interested and this doesn't get them any more interested so it all does is give them another opportunity to stall, after they apologize for not getting back to you and offer up a litany of excuses for not being able to get back to you, even though apparently they are able to get back to you all this time after all, because they just did.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6922816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    Dean Jackson got me to open one of his emails this week (I rarely do) and what he did was pretty smart. Lazy but smart.

    All he did was put my first name as the headline. 3 letters long, so as I scanned down my inbox & saw all these long headlines, his stuck out like a sore thumb. I clicked on that email before I even read what my own mother sent me. So if I ever do email marketing, that will be the first "trick" I try. =]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6923664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WinmanRoss
    Banned
    Haha.. this is some nice twist and will definitely attract some customers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6994542].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claire Koch
      you think so huh? LoL
      Originally Posted by WinmanRoss View Post

      Haha.. this is some nice twist and will definitely attract some customers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6998581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author algreg
    I'm just getting started with my offline biz. Didn't know about the whole illegal email thing. That sucks. I can find another way. Maybe Facebook or YouTube or something. That illegal email thing is a pain that I could do without.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7256688].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claire Koch
      brush up on the can spam act guys email is fine if you follow the rules.

      There's a great WSO out called EZ Mail I highly recommend it if you want a cool idea to pursue. And you get to know how to do emailing the right way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7258818].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abidshahzad10
    really great ideea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7388721].message }}
  • I laughed at the 911 comment, but be careful you're not sending it to someone who may be sensitive about their age. LOL I've dealt with plenty of older people that run their own plumbing company, or plastic surgery clinic... they would NOT appreciate such a comment =)
    Signature
    G+ LOCAL SETUP ___and____ Custom WordPress - Genesis Child Themes (see portfolio here)

    SCHEMA.ORG + GEOTAGGING + KML + PUBLISHERSHIP + so much more...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7389119].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Irish Intuition
      hmm, I am not sure why this email would even get opened. The subject
      line is terrible. Even if this came from something I opted into, I doubt
      I'd open it. Looks boring... really don't care if you stay or go.

      As for the rest of the email... also not enticing. Humor does not sell and
      is very hard to pull off. People don't laugh and then grab their credit card.

      There is no real strong push or enticement to do anything. It's more
      about you trying to get their ok to stop bothering them.

      50% increase may be a slight exaggeration... IMHO
      Signature




      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7389559].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8621590].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nerdygirl226
      I'm wishing you all good luck
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8622413].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SuzanneRe
        Nice to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about, give honest advice about email marketing.

        I was wondering, do you send the exact same email each time, or do you send a different email each time with a different subject header?

        Any tips you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        OK for those not in the know.. SHOCKER.

        for those who actually do email on a real level. not so much.

        Here is the deal.

        Send .... PERIOD. then clean your list of removes.

        next week send the same list for the same product.
        clean the list.

        If you want the most out of your list .. $ wise .. you need to clean the removes out
        and send them once a week for a few months.

        yes, the same list for the same product. OVER AND OVER.

        you will see your best purchases / hits on ths second and third mailing.

        now you start cycling different msgs... for same product.

        some where around the 8th it will start to dwindle.

        Now, IF you remove your removes, and you keep stats.

        when you are done with a cycle. then the list is now clean.

        leave it alone for 2-3 months. Then start over. ( same product, same set of msg's )

        Yes. It is that easy.

        Clean your list and keep a schedule of which msgs, you have sent.

        easy peasy.

        in a nutshell, what i am saying is simple. People need to see your msg approx 6 times.
        A lot want it when they see it, but have excuses not to buy.

        Also when they see it over and over... they know your for real.. it ads
        credibility...
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        I'd suggest instead of trying to insult me or making assumptions, read my posts. I don't just cold call... in fact, I can guarantee that I probably make more sales through email than you do.

        THE FACT REMAINS, most people don't use email the right way. The OP included.

        This doesn't increase response rate... response rate is PER EMAIL.. if you send out to 10K people, the response rate of your first email doesn't change, it is only the response rate of the 2nd. I personally don't like this tactic because in my opinion it doesn't work well. If I send out 6 different postcards and the last one says Your business is going into the trash just like this postcard probably will.... and I get a couple more responses out of it, it doesn't improve my overall campaign response rate, it improves on ONE SEND.

        Ken is right.... except mine I send once a week for 12 weeks.

        You using thunderbird shows how much or how much you really don't use email as a form of marketing. I'd suggest to anyone NOT to use any email that is going to share your IP and host in the header since you WILL get blastlisted.

        Next time you try to mock me, get your facts straight. My worst form of lead generation is probably better than your best form.

        The email gurus always come out every couple months getting people excited thinking it's easy but it isn't easy. They usually make 1-2 sales and think they're an expert but realize it tapers off so they need to sell their strategy in order to keep money coming in. LOL. It's a mindset of so many people.

        This is a marketing forum.... this is BUSINESS. If you're not willing to go the extra mile, combine techniques in your overall strategy, you probably won't be that successful.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8626920].message }}

Trending Topics