Is the email marketing services niche overcrowded?

12 replies
I'm presently working with a boutique hotel and I will strongly suggest implementing an email marketing plan to keep in contact with customers.

I am working on a new business idea - email marketing services - to retain current customers & create repetitive business. That will be my focus, as 80% of your business comes from existing clients. And we all know the cost of getting a new customer - its pretty high!

I know a lot of people are offering email marketing services.
I'm just wondering, for those of you offering this service, if the market is saturated? Is there an overload out there? Would focusing on a niche help?

Appreciate your feedback, as always!!
#email #marketing #niche #overcrowded #services
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Makarski
    I don't see it being saturated at all. And yes, if you focus on a niche, you can charge more and add more value in the form of pre-built campaigns and done-for-them service.
    Signature

    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7120130].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    I don't see it as saturated either.

    Most other marketers are doing websites, seo, mobile sites, selling leads, etc.

    Not too many are focusing on email marketing for local businesses.

    Which is a good thing because it leaves more opportunity for the rest of us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7120204].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iInvent
      Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

      I don't see it as saturated either.

      Most other marketers are doing websites, seo, mobile sites, selling leads, etc.

      Not too many are focusing on email marketing for local businesses.

      Which is a good thing because it leaves more opportunity for the rest of us.
      Exactly but I was wondering WHY no one was talking about this on here.
      I am personnally so tired of SEO (sorry!!!).

      Thanks for your input!
      Signature

      Thanks for reading!

      Chantal
      "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7121768].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shane_k
        Originally Posted by iInvent View Post

        Exactly but I was wondering WHY no one was talking about this on here.
        I am personnally so tired of SEO (sorry!!!).

        Thanks for your input!
        I personally feel the reason is because truthfully it is harder than most other services you can offer.

        Pretty much anyone can build a website, or get it outsourced, and there is a lot of information out there about SEO which is also easily outsourced.

        Another thing is alot of the services that are offered in offline consullting are things that newbies can actually jump into pretty quickly.

        But one thing about email marketing is that you really have to know what you are doing.

        You can't expect to just walk into a business and use alot of the same tactics that we use online and have them work.

        Sending out daily emails with multiple offers over and over again will not work for offline businesses.

        The reason IMers get away with tactics like this is that the anonymity of the internet protects them. A lot of the people who do email out everyday, or multiple times a day are using personas so you might not even really know who they are.

        But in a brick and mortar business, if you try and send out offers everyday, or multiple times a day like on the internet, you can expect not only people unsubscribing, but they will also show up in person at the business, and they will be very vocal in their complaints and anger, and this will definately affect that business owner's reputation.

        These are things that I had to learn about email marketing when I first started out.

        However, when you do focus on building relationships with the customer base, and you start showing them you are looking out for their interests, and start satisfying them, and creating loyalty in them, the will reward you and the business owner by coming into the business and spending their hard earned cash.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7123947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    Saturated? Hardly anyone offers this service, in fact most small biz owners would probably think you are crazy trying to sell them something that is "free"

    This may be a tough sell, only because so much education is required.
    Good luck!
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7120214].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      While most businesses concentrate most of their marketing
      and ad spend on bringing in new customers, few optimize existing customer base.

      Therefore your point of entry in the prospects mind is to be the person
      who brings in more revenue without spending a dollar more on marketing.

      You show them 3 ways you'll increase their profits...

      1 increase frequency of spend
      2 lift dollar spend of each transaction
      3 cut down on ineffective advertising and marketing costs

      Show them the money through examples of the numbers.

      Average of the first 2 and 20% lift in them.

      Then show they can cut their ad spend by the new revenue
      and still be at least equal in profit after they take out your fee.

      Remember, profitable businesses are in the numbers business,
      and you should be able to clearly show numbers.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7120361].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iInvent
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        While most businesses concentrate most of their marketing
        and ad spend on bringing in new customers, few optimize existing customer base.

        Therefore your point of entry in the prospects mind is to be the person
        who brings in more revenue without spending a dollar more on marketing.

        You show them 3 ways you'll increase their profits...

        1 increase frequency of spend
        2 lift dollar spend of each transaction
        3 cut down on ineffective advertising and marketing costs

        Show them the money through examples of the numbers.

        Average of the first 2 and 20% lift in them.

        Then show they can cut their ad spend by the new revenue
        and still be at least equal in profit after they take out your fee.

        Remember, profitable businesses are in the numbers business,
        and you should be able to clearly show numbers.

        Best,
        Ewen
        Wow, thanks for the info
        A bit confused about some terms (20% lift?) you talk about but I'll figure it out!!

        Appreciate all your posts btw - thanks!!
        Signature

        Thanks for reading!

        Chantal
        "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7121746].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iInvent
      Originally Posted by Eddie Spangler View Post

      Saturated? Hardly anyone offers this service, in fact most small biz owners would probably think you are crazy trying to sell them something that is "free"

      This may be a tough sell, only because so much education is required.
      Good luck!
      Yeah, makes sense! I was just wondering why no one really talked about this here - it was either not sexy enough or too saturated

      Thanks!!
      Signature

      Thanks for reading!

      Chantal
      "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7121735].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iInvent
      Originally Posted by Eddie Spangler View Post

      Saturated? Hardly anyone offers this service, in fact most small biz owners would probably think you are crazy trying to sell them something that is "free"

      This may be a tough sell, only because so much education is required.
      Good luck!
      Well FREE is a big word, as I would be using automated services (Aweber or other) and there is a fee to it. But I get what you are saying. Compared to other means of marketing, its almost free

      And yes you might do it for free, but its very time consuming to do it manually. I do it right now for my business but I don't have a high volume...yet
      My point of view anyways :p

      Thanks for your post!
      Signature

      Thanks for reading!

      Chantal
      "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7121758].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shane_k
      Originally Posted by Eddie Spangler View Post

      Saturated? Hardly anyone offers this service, in fact most small biz owners would probably think you are crazy trying to sell them something that is "free"
      That's like saying that they will think that you are crazy to try to sell them websites which they can also get for "free"

      But you do bring up a good point.

      You don't want to sell them on the email just like you don't want to sell someone on the website, but what it can do for them.

      When I talk to business owner about email marketing services, I focus on what it can do for them.

      Things like;

      driving customers in on slow days
      immediately getting their message out to their customers about any discount sales they might be having
      getting branding messages out to customers
      using email for surveys to better service their customers

      If you can take their average customer who usually comes in twice a month and spends $100, and get them to come in 3 times a month and spend $150, that can make quite the impact on their business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7123884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Venkat001
    It again depends on the type of the niche. I have seen several areas where email marketing services are still being used but only very few areas are overcrowded. My mailbox gets lot of these messages which are anyways collected by the spam
    Signature

    [Beware] - The Dark Side of Few Adsense Sites on Flippa - [Read/Click Here]
    [Free Workout] – How Did I Get Additional Traffic With Just 2 Minutes of Work ?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7120403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tnleverett
    Email marketing is a very good thing to get into. Even at the local level.

    The average return per dollar spent on email marketing is huge and the barrier to entry is really low.

    Don't worry about saturation! Just make sure you are creating value in what you offer.

    In my opinion, you have a great idea here! Just get out there and start selling!

    Wishing you much success!

    TL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7120461].message }}

Trending Topics