google adwords consulting?

35 replies
is it possible to just set up as a google adwords consultant and make money that way? get the google certification and all the jazz. instead of trying one of these offline marketing WSO's - it seems to me to be a decent business to start. ideas? thoughts?
#adwords #consulting #google
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Makarski
    Yeah...has been and is being done by many. In fact, you'll do better than most WSO buyers here who jump from one thing to the next all the time (that includes yours truly).
    Signature

    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7157714].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GerryMedia
      Google Adwords provides training for those wanting to become consultants. Are you receiving mails from Adwords? They mail out these brochures every now and then.
      Signature

      I.M. ControlPanel - See why this online software is your key to success!
      Lifetime Membership WSO

      Learn. Take Action. Learn. Teach.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7157725].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TenaciousFlea
        Originally Posted by GerryMedia View Post

        Google Adwords provides training for those wanting to become consultants. Are you receiving mails from Adwords? They mail out these brochures every now and then.
        no emails. i just went to the site and signed up for the individual certification study and exam program. i figure i'd start with that and take it from there. just not sure how much money can be made.
        Signature

        << NOW Magazine Outbound Sales Manager >>

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7157787].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Makarski
          Originally Posted by TenaciousFlea View Post

          no emails. i just went to the site and signed up for the individual certification study and exam program. i figure i'd start with that and take it from there. just not sure how much money can be made.
          You can make as much as you can sell. So the best way to find out is to go and sell some. If you don't know enough about Adwords yet to deliver a decent service, get another Warrior from here and they'll be happy to fulfill.
          Signature

          "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7157809].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TenaciousFlea
            Originally Posted by Alex Makarski View Post

            You can as much as can sell. So the best way to find out is to go and sell some. If you don't know enough about Adwords yet to deliver a decent service, get another Warrior from here and they'll be happy to fulfill.
            i'm just wondering what the margins are. i suppose you make money by charging some sort of consultancy fee and perhaps you get a discount from google and earn money on the spread?
            Signature

            << NOW Magazine Outbound Sales Manager >>

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7157849].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Neil M
              Google will build your clients campaigns for you if you call the "new accounts team" which you can find the # for on the main adwords log in page.

              It's pretty crazy how much they work with you to help you sell. I love selling Google Adwords services because I know that I can get my clients traffic almost immediately which makes me look great and sets up long term commitments.
              Signature
              To find out more about what I'm up to...

              >>>>Visit Rising Ideas Labs <<<



              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7158379].message }}
              • google's new coupon can help you in your marketing.

                buy 25.00 and get 75.00

                offering prospective clients "100.00 worth of online advertising for new clients!!! " or "become a client today and well give you 100 of online advertising as a free gift"



                check online to see what PPC providers charge.

                it's alot!!!

                good luck
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7158428].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Alex Makarski
              Originally Posted by TenaciousFlea View Post

              i'm just wondering what the margins are. i suppose you make money by charging some sort of consultancy fee and perhaps you get a discount from google and earn money on the spread?
              The way many agencies work is by charging a percentage of the client's monthly ad spend. This way you don't risk anything.
              Signature

              "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7159472].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
              Originally Posted by TenaciousFlea View Post

              I'm just wondering what the margins are. i suppose you make money by charging some sort of consultancy fee and perhaps you get a discount from google and earn money on the spread?
              Read all replies here and will throw another side of the coin to consider, take it or leave it.

              Like you wow this must be a great biz model to get into and yes it looked that way, I went through a very intensive accredited business course and gained all of the official business certificates and even backed that up with full insurances and the whole box and dice, wrote my own applications for managing adwords even faster ( giggle now does most of this now with latest updates ) and away I went.

              Over time I build up an advertise spend from my clients that reached over 1 million dollars in total from the start and was heading north in leaps and bounds and everybody was playing happy families, but.

              I asked myself one question and it haunted me, if I had the ability to make all of these people money on their adwords campaigns ? why was I bothering to work for them and make them money while I was making mere chump change as a glorified virtual assistant ?

              I battled with that question over and over, the work was fine tuning accounts that consistently like clock work once sorted placed money into their banks, so why was I settling for peanuts and a good ol slap on the back saying well done son, I just could not get the logics of that correct.

              And taking it a little further if people really can set up and run very profitable campaigns just why would they not do it themselves and take all of the cream ? and at the same time do away with all of the headaches and demands that clients can bring to the mix.

              Short story, one by one I stopped topping up clients and let the whole system die a natural death, as for me I saw no point in being that glorified person who made money for other people, and I say that in respect but it was just I did not want to be the worker for others, I wanted to be the person who made money and employed others to help me not the reverse.

              I have never been happier since making the call, yes I dropped my income from that down to 0, and a starting out on a new angle and although difficult and not making $ per se it is the best call I have ever made.

              If ever I was to even consider doing it again it would be as a business where I employed assistants to monitor accounts but never on a personal level and that is highly unlikely as I am very happy now in my own little world.

              Yes for those doing there is some good dollars so good luck with your call.
              Signature

              .

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7163566].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
                Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

                Read all replies here and will throw another side of the coin to consider, take it or leave it.

                Like you wow this must be a great biz model to get into and yes it looked that way, I went through a very intensive accredited business course and gained all of the official business certificates and even backed that up with full insurances and the whole box and dice, wrote my own applications for managing adwords even faster ( giggle now does most of this now with latest updates ) and away I went.

                Over time I build up an advertise spend from my clients that reached over 1 million dollars in total from the start and was heading north in leaps and bounds and everybody was playing happy families, but.

                I asked myself one question and it haunted me, if I had the ability to make all of these people money on their adwords campaigns ? why was I bothering to work for them and make them money while I was making mere chump change as a glorified virtual assistant ?

                I battled with that question over and over, the work was fine tuning accounts that consistently like clock work once sorted placed money into their banks, so why was I settling for peanuts and a good ol slap on the back saying well done son, I just could not get the logics of that correct.

                And taking it a little further if people really can set up and run very profitable campaigns just why would they not do it themselves and take all of the cream ? and at the same time do away with all of the headaches and demands that clients can bring to the mix.

                Short story, one by one I stopped topping up clients and let the whole system die a natural death, as for me I saw no point in being that glorified person who made money for other people, and I say that in respect but it was just I did not want to be the worker for others, I wanted to be the person who made money and employed others to help me not the reverse.

                I have never been happier since making the call, yes I dropped my income from that down to 0, and a starting out on a new angle and although difficult and not making $ per se it is the best call I have ever made.

                If ever I was to even consider doing it again it would be as a business where I employed assistants to monitor accounts but never on a personal level and that is highly unlikely as I am very happy now in my own little world.

                Yes for those doing there is some good dollars so good luck with your call.
                You make a very good point. What I say to that is that if you are just getting started doing these smaller campaigns for businesses is a great way to learn the ropes. I've done both sides of this. I've made money for others (lots of it) and I've made money for myself doing affiliate stuff, etc. It's definitely much more fun making money for yourself. Obviously right?

                However, doing campaigns for businesses is not only a good way to learn the ropes but also will allow you to get into doing ppc full time. The more you do the better you get. You can make more money than at most jobs. That way you can put money into your own campaigns. There is much more to be made in doing affiliate campaigns for yourself obviously. But, most people aren't in a position to do that. Playing both sides of the coin has done very well for me. The offline side of PPC is just the beginning.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7166796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
    I charge $125 per hour as an adwords consultant. Also, I will normally get 15% of the budget on accounts over $10,000 per month. There is definitely a lot of money in it. I've been doing that for 9 years now. I had one client that I did consulting for. He managed PPC campaigns for small to medium businesses and was doing just at $1 million per year.

    If you want to get certified sign up for Google Engage. They will give you a coupon for the certification. Also, they will set you up with the $100 coupons for adwords. You do have to spend $25 to use each one but it really helps in getting clients.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7159568].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wb_man
      Originally Posted by socialbacklink View Post

      I charge $125 per hour as an adwords consultant. Also, I will normally get 15% of the budget on accounts over $10,000 per month. There is definitely a lot of money in it. I've been doing that for 9 years now. I had one client that I did consulting for. He managed PPC campaigns for small to medium businesses and was doing just at $1 million per year.

      If you want to get certified sign up for Google Engage. They will give you a coupon for the certification. Also, they will set you up with the $100 coupons for adwords. You do have to spend $25 to use each one but it really helps in getting clients.
      Wow, $1 million per year? Was it revenue or profit? How much did those small to medium businesses pay him to manage their PPC campaigns?

      How many clients did he have?
      How did he get them to be his clients?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7159629].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
        Originally Posted by wb_man View Post

        Wow, $1 million per year? Was it revenue or profit? How much did those small to medium businesses pay him to manage their PPC campaigns?

        How many clients did he have?
        How did he get them to be his clients?
        It was total revenue. His profit after paying commission on sales and all of that was easily $300-350k per year. He had sales people doing all of that, people managing the campaigns, etc. They had only been in business about 2 years. It can be done fairly easily. He started out getting clients himself then quickly hired a team of cold callers to do that work. They mainly got their business through telemarketing.

        He was getting accounts that spent anywhere from $100-$1,000 per month (average was around $350-$400 per month. I didn't agree with his margins. He kept a little over 50% as a management fee. He ran on average 450 clients in 3 countries (Canada, US, Australia). So, he really went after the little fish mainly. Imagine going after bigger ones. I've managed over $14 million in adspend in the last 9 years. So, trust me when I say there is very good money to be made in it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7159852].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wb_man
          Originally Posted by socialbacklink View Post

          It was total revenue. His profit after paying commission on sales and all of that was easily $300-350k per year. He had sales people doing all of that, people managing the campaigns, etc. They had only been in business about 2 years. It can be done fairly easily. He started out getting clients himself then quickly hired a team of cold callers to do that work. They mainly got their business through telemarketing.

          He was getting accounts that spent anywhere from $100-$1,000 per month (average was around $350-$400 per month. I didn't agree with his margins. He kept a little over 50% as a management fee. He ran on average 450 clients in 3 countries (Canada, US, Australia). So, he really went after the little fish mainly. Imagine going after bigger ones. I've managed over $14 million in adspend in the last 9 years. So, trust me when I say there is very good money to be made in it.
          What are some good ways to get clients other than cold calling?
          How do you convince them to use PPC?

          Did he provide a ROI to his clients? Was he getting them more business to justify paying him that amount?

          Was it difficult to work with so many clients? Isn't it better to have fewer but higher paying clients?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7160056].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
            Originally Posted by wb_man View Post

            What are some good ways to get clients other than cold calling?
            How do you convince them to use PPC?

            Did he provide a ROI to his clients? Was he getting them more business to justify paying him that amount?

            Was it difficult to work with so many clients? Isn't it better to have fewer but higher paying clients?
            There are plenty of ways to get them. You can do websites and offer a free ppc campaign as part of the deal. You could offer them $100 in ads for $25 with the new voucher change Google made. Normally I look and see who is running adwords and not doing it very well. Then, I'll shoot an email over or send them direct mail about their campaign and ways it can be improved. If you find someone spending a lot of money you could snag some large campaigns that way.

            As far as convincing them. PPC is an easy sell. Would you like more business? Would you like it to start within hours instead of months like SEO? There you go.

            As for your other questions he wasn't listening to my consulting advice. He wouldn't do conversion tracking. Hence, he didn't provide them anything outside of them being listed on the first page. I always always always tell people that you have to show the client why they are doing it. They want business from it. Not just to be seen. That's not good enough. So, I fully recommend go after results and nothing more. (Another reason why he's no longer my client. I'm very picky about who I choose to deal with. I won't work with them unless they listen to me.)

            It's not really too bad dealing with a bunch of clients like that. There is something called the 80/20 rule. It applies to pretty much everything. It basically says that 80% of your trouble will come from 20% of your clients. 80% of your profit will come from 20% of your clients. See how that works? So, fire the 20% of your trouble makers and you'll have a good stable of easy clients to work with. Also, fewer chargebacks which your merchant account will like.

            It's can be better to have bigger clients that pay more. However, they are harder to get and a lot more work per account. So, having a bunch of smaller clients is actually pretty easy too. At one point I personally managed over 450 smaller accounts. It was about the same amount of work as when I managed 7-8 large clients. It's all about knowing what you are doing with it. Millions of keywords and thousands of ads any way you spin it. With automation and skill it's not bad.

            And the money is unbelievable. A few years ago I had one client and made well into 6 figures plus bonuses just managing their 3 products PPC accounts. After 9 years of managing PPC accounts I'm semi-retired. I do have some other things I'm doing mainly for proof of concept. (For my training site I've setup a website/marketing company. We've turned a really good profit from day 1 with it.) I do a good bit of marketing on my own products these days. I've played in the affiliate world and offline world and have been very successful doing it. PPC is definitely a cash cow if you know what you are doing.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7162532].message }}
            • Originally Posted by socialbacklink View Post

              There are plenty of ways to get them. You can do websites and offer a free ppc campaign as part of the deal. You could offer them $100 in ads for $25 with the new voucher change Google made. Normally I look and see who is running adwords and not doing it very well. Then, I'll shoot an email over or send them direct mail about their campaign and ways it can be improved. If you find someone spending a lot of money you could snag some large campaigns that way.

              As far as convincing them. PPC is an easy sell. Would you like more business? Would you like it to start within hours instead of months like SEO? There you go.

              As for your other questions he wasn't listening to my consulting advice. He wouldn't do conversion tracking. Hence, he didn't provide them anything outside of them being listed on the first page. I always always always tell people that you have to show the client why they are doing it. They want business from it. Not just to be seen. That's not good enough. So, I fully recommend go after results and nothing more. (Another reason why he's no longer my client. I'm very picky about who I choose to deal with. I won't work with them unless they listen to me.)

              It's not really too bad dealing with a bunch of clients like that. There is something called the 80/20 rule. It applies to pretty much everything. It basically says that 80% of your trouble will come from 20% of your clients. 80% of your profit will come from 20% of your clients. See how that works? So, fire the 20% of your trouble makers and you'll have a good stable of easy clients to work with. Also, fewer chargebacks which your merchant account will like.

              It's can be better to have bigger clients that pay more. However, they are harder to get and a lot more work per account. So, having a bunch of smaller clients is actually pretty easy too. At one point I personally managed over 450 smaller accounts. It was about the same amount of work as when I managed 7-8 large clients. It's all about knowing what you are doing with it. Millions of keywords and thousands of ads any way you spin it. With automation and skill it's not bad.

              And the money is unbelievable. A few years ago I had one client and made well into 6 figures plus bonuses just managing their 3 products PPC accounts. After 9 years of managing PPC accounts I'm semi-retired. I do have some other things I'm doing mainly for proof of concept. (For my training site I've setup a website/marketing company. We've turned a really good profit from day 1 with it.) I do a good bit of marketing on my own products these days. I've played in the affiliate world and offline world and have been very successful doing it. PPC is definitely a cash cow if you know what you are doing.
              Wow thank you so much for this information, you have certainly opened my eyes.
              I had never thought about marketing PPC.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7168789].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author wb_man
              Originally Posted by socialbacklink View Post

              There are plenty of ways to get them. You can do websites and offer a free ppc campaign as part of the deal. You could offer them $100 in ads for $25 with the new voucher change Google made. Normally I look and see who is running adwords and not doing it very well. Then, I'll shoot an email over or send them direct mail about their campaign and ways it can be improved. If you find someone spending a lot of money you could snag some large campaigns that way.

              As far as convincing them. PPC is an easy sell. Would you like more business? Would you like it to start within hours instead of months like SEO? There you go.

              As for your other questions he wasn't listening to my consulting advice. He wouldn't do conversion tracking. Hence, he didn't provide them anything outside of them being listed on the first page. I always always always tell people that you have to show the client why they are doing it. They want business from it. Not just to be seen. That's not good enough. So, I fully recommend go after results and nothing more. (Another reason why he's no longer my client. I'm very picky about who I choose to deal with. I won't work with them unless they listen to me.)

              It's not really too bad dealing with a bunch of clients like that. There is something called the 80/20 rule. It applies to pretty much everything. It basically says that 80% of your trouble will come from 20% of your clients. 80% of your profit will come from 20% of your clients. See how that works? So, fire the 20% of your trouble makers and you'll have a good stable of easy clients to work with. Also, fewer chargebacks which your merchant account will like.

              It's can be better to have bigger clients that pay more. However, they are harder to get and a lot more work per account. So, having a bunch of smaller clients is actually pretty easy too. At one point I personally managed over 450 smaller accounts. It was about the same amount of work as when I managed 7-8 large clients. It's all about knowing what you are doing with it. Millions of keywords and thousands of ads any way you spin it. With automation and skill it's not bad.

              And the money is unbelievable. A few years ago I had one client and made well into 6 figures plus bonuses just managing their 3 products PPC accounts. After 9 years of managing PPC accounts I'm semi-retired. I do have some other things I'm doing mainly for proof of concept. (For my training site I've setup a website/marketing company. We've turned a really good profit from day 1 with it.) I do a good bit of marketing on my own products these days. I've played in the affiliate world and offline world and have been very successful doing it. PPC is definitely a cash cow if you know what you are doing.

              I was asking about other ways to get clients such as posting or responding to ads on Craigslist, going to networking events, LinkedIn, etc. Have you done them and what were your results?

              When looking for businesses that are doing Adwords, what types of businesses do you go after? Dentist, doctor, lawyer, etc.? Are they too saturated or should you go for less saturated niches? What happens if they are already using a PPC company to do their Adwords? Most likely they hired a PPC company so how do you convince them to use you instead?

              How do you search for them? Do you just go to Google, type in "location + business type" and look through all the ads? Any fast ways of doing it or do you have to do it manually?

              For the client that you managed their 3 products' PPC accounts, what kind of business were they in to be able to pay you that much to do their PPC? Were they selling physical or info products?

              And wow, you are semi-retired. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I want to retire early too lol.

              How is your training site doing? Still setting it up or done?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7169610].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
                Originally Posted by wb_man View Post

                I was asking about other ways to get clients such as posting or responding to ads on Craigslist, going to networking events, LinkedIn, etc. Have you done them and what were your results?

                When looking for businesses that are doing Adwords, what types of businesses do you go after? Dentist, doctor, lawyer, etc.? Are they too saturated or should you go for less saturated niches? What happens if they are already using a PPC company to do their Adwords? Most likely they hired a PPC company so how do you convince them to use you instead?

                How do you search for them? Do you just go to Google, type in "location + business type" and look through all the ads? Any fast ways of doing it or do you have to do it manually?

                For the client that you managed their 3 products' PPC accounts, what kind of business were they in to be able to pay you that much to do their PPC? Were they selling physical or info products?

                And wow, you are semi-retired. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I want to retire early too lol.

                How is your training site doing? Still setting it up or done?
                The training is done. I'm changing up the sales page today. Adding content weekly.

                Lots of questions. This is great. Some of the things that work are linked in, Craigslist will work if you start with websites and upsell them into ppc as part of the package. Also, if you do ads on Craigslist do it as internet marketing. Most people don't know PPC, SEO, etc. I've done quite well with Craigslist actually.

                Linked in has also been good. Although these days I'm getting more marketers contacting me wanting help. I still do get people contacting me for marketing help though. The best way I've found there is to do groups. It works for sure.

                Go to your local chamber of commerce and ask to speak at a networking event of theirs. Those are huge. Just give free advice on marketing and answer questions. You'll get 8-10 sign up right there. Giving free advice is a great way to get business. It let's people see that you know what you are doing. It also makes them feel at ease about trusting you with their money.

                I don't think any of it is really saturated. Most of the ones I've seen doing it aren't doing a good enough job that I couldn't nab a client. If anything they are just pre-selling for me. (I am getting out of clients these days. Like I said, semi-retired. After 9 years I'm just doing training and affiliate stuff these days. I'm 38 by the way. I've been working from home for the last 8 years.)

                A lot of clients try it themselves. Also, surprisingly enough there are thousands of businesses with no website even. That's why Google is doing their free website initiative. That too just makes the market better for you. The reason is because they will get a basic website free. Then, others will realize they want more. That's where you come in. Out source the sites and upsell PPC. That's exactly what Google wants you to do. Makes them money.

                As far as searching for clients just look locally first. Search for plumber, dentist, whatever and look for ones making mistakes. Then, grab a proxy like HMA and search city by city. Once you are making good money with it hire someone to do that contacting businesses part. Just build it up. Let the business pay for itself.

                The one with the 3 products, they were doing info products. I've sold all kinds of stuff on PPC. Mobile phone contracts for a large telecom in Canada, People search, background checks, shoes, glass pool fences, hot air balloon rides, music lessons, you name it. If you are good at landing page optimization check clickbank for some of the products that aren't selling. Offer them help.

                Money is everywhere! That's something that can't be stated enough. You just have to put yourself in a position to have them give it to you instead of the other guy. It is being spent by the boatloads every single day. Good economy, bad economy, it doesn't matter. In a bad economy with Google banning people from adwords I had a product doing $30,000+ per day in profit. It's everywhere. You just have to know where it hides and get in the way.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7172046].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andy Brown
    From my own experience with Adwords you can no longer throw up a one page landing page and hope to catch some affiliate sales. You meed to build a decent site with well thought our ways in which to capture emails and follow up. This is resource hungry and a risk, hence when you get it right the high rewards are well deserved.

    Running PPC for others does give you the skills and income with less of the risk.

    As the previous 2 comments have eluded to it's a personal decision as to where you spend your time and both are definitely lucrative.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7167526].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
      Originally Posted by Andy Brown View Post

      From my own experience with Adwords you can no longer throw up a one page landing page and hope to catch some affiliate sales. You meed to build a decent site with well thought our ways in which to capture emails and follow up. This is resource hungry and a risk, hence when you get it right the high rewards are well deserved.

      Running PPC for others does give you the skills and income with less of the risk.

      As the previous 2 comments have eluded to it's a personal decision as to where you spend your time and both are definitely lucrative.
      That's it exactly. I've done both and have been very successful at both. To get some good experience under your belt and make money doing it the consulting thing is a good way to go.

      Doing the affiliate side and product creation is more lucrative. But, then again to get the experience you've got to have the money to spend. That's why I think for most people doing the consulting thing is a really good way to learn.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7168365].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TenaciousFlea
        Originally Posted by socialbacklink View Post

        That's it exactly. I've done both and have been very successful at both. To get some good experience under your belt and make money doing it the consulting thing is a good way to go.

        Doing the affiliate side and product creation is more lucrative. But, then again to get the experience you've got to have the money to spend. That's why I think for most people doing the consulting thing is a really good way to learn.
        great advice. so what do you suggest? i'm thinking:

        set myself up as an ad agency
        take the certification course
        join google engage
        go get clients

        thoughts?
        Signature

        << NOW Magazine Outbound Sales Manager >>

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7171120].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
          Originally Posted by TenaciousFlea View Post

          great advice. so what do you suggest? i'm thinking:

          set myself up as an ad agency
          take the certification course
          join google engage
          go get clients

          thoughts?
          I usually recommend to people to do that. Dabble in the affiliate world too. But, remember that it's YOUR money you'll be spending as an affiliate. You have to be a little more calculated with it. So, get some experience dealing with clients money. Change your order around though.

          Setup a website for your "Agency"
          Go get clients (ask around to friends and family and offer to help their business for free. Do some case studies on the results.)
          Join Google Engage: Engage for Agencies ? Google Ads
          Go get clients with the vouchers
          Take certification: They pay for it.
          Go get more clients with the case studies you've done.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7172090].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TenaciousFlea
            Originally Posted by socialbacklink View Post

            I usually recommend to people to do that. Dabble in the affiliate world too. But, remember that it's YOUR money you'll be spending as an affiliate. You have to be a little more calculated with it. So, get some experience dealing with clients money. Change your order around though.

            Setup a website for your "Agency"
            Go get clients (ask around to friends and family and offer to help their business for free. Do some case studies on the results.)
            Join Google Engage: Engage for Agencies ? Google Ads
            Go get clients with the vouchers
            Take certification: They pay for it.
            Go get more clients with the case studies you've done.
            excellent. thanks a million.
            Signature

            << NOW Magazine Outbound Sales Manager >>

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7172404].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WebEminence
      Originally Posted by Andy Brown View Post

      From my own experience with Adwords you can no longer throw up a one page landing page and hope to catch some affiliate sales. You meed to build a decent site with well thought our ways in which to capture emails and follow up. This is resource hungry and a risk, hence when you get it right the high rewards are well deserved.

      Running PPC for others does give you the skills and income with less of the risk.

      As the previous 2 comments have eluded to it's a personal decision as to where you spend your time and both are definitely lucrative.
      You're right, Andy. It's almost impossible to to use Adwords or even Bing and Yahoo PPC to get traffic and sales for affiliate products. Adwords is very particular about where they send their searches whether they are clicking on organic links or sponsored ads. I've even seen them warn about advertising affiliate links or even your own website with links to affiliate pages. Even if you have a high-quality website with lots of relevant content and links to an affiliate product, you'll be penalized with a low Quality Score.

      I'm be skeptical of anyone who says they are having success with PPC and affiliate products. Maybe 5 years ago, but these days, it's nearly impossible.

      I do think PPC consulting can be a lucrative business especially with all the new requirements and the focus on Quality Score. People can't just throw up a PPC campaign and expect to get sustained traffic.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7173985].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
        Originally Posted by WebEminence View Post

        You're right, Andy. It's almost impossible to to use Adwords or even Bing and Yahoo PPC to get traffic and sales for affiliate products. Adwords is very particular about where they send their searches whether they are clicking on organic links or sponsored ads. I've even seen them warn about advertising affiliate links or even your own website with links to affiliate pages. Even if you have a high-quality website with lots of relevant content and links to an affiliate product, you'll be penalized with a low Quality Score.

        I'm be skeptical of anyone who says they are having success with PPC and affiliate products. Maybe 5 years ago, but these days, it's nearly impossible.

        I do think PPC consulting can be a lucrative business especially with all the new requirements and the focus on Quality Score. People can't just throw up a PPC campaign and expect to get sustained traffic.
        I wouldn't go that far. Granted it's not as easy as it used to be. However, it's not really difficult either. You just can't be lazy about it. You've got to provide value for the searchers.

        That's the thing about not only PPC but any marketing that you do period. You have to ask yourself, is this something that provides value to the people buying? It's not about the latest technique to pull money out of people's pockets. It's more about providing them solutions to their problems.

        Google doesn't have an affiliate algorithm determined to slap down the little guy. Affiliates get hit the most by Google because they aren't working for the greater good. Usually they are doing all sorts of things wrong and not providing value to Google's customers. I've done affiliate campaigns that made money in the last 3 months. I'm still doing those and am scaling them up actually.

        If you do things the "right" way you won't have problems. In SEO if you put a bunch of links going off the page to another site you'll usually get penalized for that. Do you think PPC is any different? They want people who provide value. Usually sites that serve as a bridge between a customer and a product don't provide value. So, if you are trying to do direct linking, or bridge pages then no it won't work. However if you build affiliate businesses around a niche it will.

        Here is what I mean. Smart affiliates are building niche sites. Building a list, becoming the expert in that niche. That way if the product they are promoting goes under they just use another one. Or you create your own product and sell to the list you've built. It's just smart marketing. To say its nearly impossible to sell affiliate products with PPC isn't a true statement. It's working quite well for me and a few others I know of. Just gotta know what you are doing with it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7174294].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author 9999
          I just finished the 4 training modules for Engage and received the vouchers. I am a bit confused on how to charge clients.

          Right now I have 20 - $100 vouchers. I can approach businesses and offer to run a $100 campaign for 1 keyword for free or does anyone charge for this?

          Next, how do you handle consulting fee's? The client would pay me whatever the campaign costs plus $xx amount of money that I get for managing the campaign?

          Hope I am making sense.

          Thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7179122].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Alex Makarski
            You can charge them per lead.

            You can charge them a flat amount per month based on the number of leads you have committed to sent them.

            You can charge them a flat fee for managing their account.

            You can charge them by the hour.

            And you can charge them a % of the monthly ad spend.

            What you do may somewhat (not a whole lot) depend on the niche you are going into. I.e. if nobody in their industry ever bought leads it probably won't be easy to sell them on the idea.

            But at the end of the day, it's your biz and you call the shots. All 5 scenarios are use by somebody somewhere.
            Signature

            "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7179544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author speez
    We sell websites and offer Google Adwords to some, we'll charge any amount depending on their budget and usually take 50% while the other goes to the credits, if they earn a ROI they keep spending every month, if they don't they're out. It's a results based biz! The pressure to perform is on or else you will lose that customer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7168643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shifat
    Does anyone know if thee's any discount code or anything for Google adwords exam fees?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7169044].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wb_man
      Originally Posted by shifat View Post

      Does anyone know if thee's any discount code or anything for Google adwords exam fees?
      I'm in the Google Engage program and they offer vouchers for the Google Certified Partner exam.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7169645].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TenaciousFlea
        Originally Posted by wb_man View Post

        I'm in the Google Engage program and they offer vouchers for the Google Certified Partner exam.
        does anyone have a link for the google engage program?
        Signature

        << NOW Magazine Outbound Sales Manager >>

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7171075].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HorseStall
    There are businesses that provide a service as an adword consultant or manager like Software Promotions but that is only one of the services they offer - Software marketing services from SoftwarePromotions | Google Adwords, Conversion Optimisation, SEO, Copywriting, Web Analytics and more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Schwarz
    This is definitely a way to add to offline consulting. I have been using this to add to my offerings to clients.
    Signature

    Frank "at" SchwarzMediaGroup.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7173901].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seantrepreneur
    I think the fact of ONLY being a Google Adwords consultant can work in your favor big time. Too many ppl try to be the jack of all trades and specialize in nothing. Why do you think a brain surgeon makes more than a general surgeon? If you are the go to guy/girl for Adwords then you can get the big money once you start to be in demand. If you try offering too much you get lost among everyone else that offers everything.

    My suggestion is if you're going to do this learn everything you possibly can so you are truly an expert in this field. Do the Google certification course but also talk to others doing this already, read articles, blogs, watch videos etc.. Just literally try being the best in this industry.

    Good luck!

    Sean
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7180462].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author socialbacklink
      Originally Posted by Seantrepreneur View Post

      I think the fact of ONLY being a Google Adwords consultant can work in your favor big time. Too many ppl try to be the jack of all trades and specialize in nothing. Why do you think a brain surgeon makes more than a general surgeon? If you are the go to guy/girl for Adwords then you can get the big money once you start to be in demand. If you try offering too much you get lost among everyone else that offers everything.

      My suggestion is if you're going to do this learn everything you possibly can so you are truly an expert in this field. Do the Google certification course but also talk to others doing this already, read articles, blogs, watch videos etc.. Just literally try being the best in this industry.

      Good luck!

      Sean
      That's a great point. Over the years I've known how to do all sorts of stuff but have purposely positioned myself as a PPC Expert. As a result I've made more money because people know I'm one of the best in the field.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7180595].message }}

Trending Topics