How to overcome webagency problem!?

15 replies
Hi fellow warriors!

Im running a SEO business. We have many times lost potential customers because of their existing relationship with their webagency (webdesigners) who has built their website...

The scenario goes like this:
I have explained the value of SEO to them. I have not explaind that much exactly how SEO works because people dont wanna get technical, they just want it to work. They just want customers. If i would explain too much i would risk scaring them or making them confused. "What, where are you gonna link to us? What site is that? OMG, that sounds strange..." I prefer telling them after we have begun the job because then when we already have a realationshop there is never a problem...

Many times the customer themself does not even have their own password to their website, so they have to call the agency who made it for them... And HERE is where the problem starts.

That agency will many times start talking about how they ALREADY have made their website Google friendly, talk them out of using us because they lie to them (or many times out of incompetence) and say that it wont do any good, their website is perfect. Or sometimes they say "we can SEO your site for halft that price"... (complete bullshit)

I know its completly illogical because the company im selling the SEO to is NOT visible on Google on their keywords. But that doesnt matter, they already have a relationship with them... And then they back out of the deal with us because they are scared that they will pay for nothing.

Have you guys any solution to this problem? :confused:
#overcome #problem #webagency
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    Why do they need to get into their site for you to close the deal?
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7239882].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author searchgal
      I never call on a potential customer without doing some research on where they're currently ranking and understanding a bit about their on-page SEO. If their current web design company is doing SEO for them, they should already be ranking for their main keywords. And, their Google+ Local listing will already be optimized, they'll have reviews and citations, etc.

      If the web design company claims they can handle the SEO for less than you can do it, don't get into a price war. I would use an analogy that sets you up as the expert. For example, you can ask your prospect a question - if you had a serious medical issue, like a heart attack, who would you go to for treatment...your family doctor, or a cardiologist? Make the specialist point with something your prospect can understand.

      In the end, we can't win them all. If you lose your prospect, follow up in a couple of months and see where they're ranking. If nothing has improved, you might find a much more receptive audience the second time around!

      Cindy
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7239967].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Asis Studios
        Originally Posted by searchgal View Post

        I never call on a potential customer without doing some research on where they're currently ranking and understanding a bit about their on-page SEO. If their current web design company is doing SEO for them, they should already be ranking for their main keywords. And, their Google+ Local listing will already be optimized, they'll have reviews and citations, etc.

        Cindy
        I could not agree more. You need to know your stuff, that is the only way you are going to "steal" away someone. I only know this because i do a lot of it with my clients, and in the end builds very strong relationships with them.

        Like you said, people get confused by seo, my plan of attack is strictly a numbers games. Have at least the Google numbers on "their" keywords. Explain how many people search their term a month, and then show them a traffic rank of someone ranked for that keyword, then show them theirs. It's a very simple way for people to absorb the info, what the potentional is and what they are missing out on.

        Odds are they will call "their guy", and give them a shot, but if they don't get results they end up coming back to you.

        Another option is always to team up with a web guy and boarded your services, and potential clients. You can find tons of people on your local craigslist, not to mention local colleges, you can always take on a intern
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7240161].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author joefalk
          Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post

          I have to say that looking at this from an outside perspective - and I'm very new to marketing! - the answer seems simple.

          Close the deal, then ask for the agencies details and call up yourself. I've dealt with a few agencies, needing access for content, and they've all agreed to email or text the password to the client, and the client then forwards that to me. Easy, and no opportunity for someone else to get involved in your sale.
          So what do you tell the agencies? Because i have called them myself as well, telling that that we are working with "internet marketing" and it has nothing to do with webdesign or whatever. We just need to make a few changes on the site. But many times they just say that they will give it to me or that they will have to check up on this. And then they call the client telling them that A.) SEO is bad. or 2.) They can do it for them cheaper. (Even tough they cant)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7261548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EllesBelles
    I have to say that looking at this from an outside perspective - and I'm very new to marketing! - the answer seems simple.

    Close the deal, then ask for the agencies details and call up yourself. I've dealt with a few agencies, needing access for content, and they've all agreed to email or text the password to the client, and the client then forwards that to me. Easy, and no opportunity for someone else to get involved in your sale.
    Signature
    Social Media Strategist. Digital Storyteller.

    LinkedIn
    Social Media Consultant

    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7239971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    You need to ask them some serious questions when you are near to closing thedeal.

    Mr customer, when you appointed your current web design company, what were you hoping they could achieve for you?

    How well would you say they have managed to fulfill those hopes?

    What do you think their reaction will be when we contact them about what I'm going to do for you?

    On the basis that they seem to have failed rather miserably up to now....what do you think we should say to them?

    Are you definitely looking to get more customers by having a better optimised site?

    Shall we decide now how we handle them because I think they'll try to convince you either that seo is bad, or that they could do it cheaper?

    Get them on your side before they contact their existing web company.
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7261627].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMguy123
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      You need to ask them some serious questions when you are near to closing thedeal.

      Mr customer, when you appointed your current web design company, what were you hoping they could achieve for you?

      How well would you say they have managed to fulfill those hopes?

      What do you think their reaction will be when we contact them about what I'm going to do for you?

      On the basis that they seem to have failed rather miserably up to now....what do you think we should say to them?

      Are you definitely looking to get more customers by having a better optimised site?

      Shall we decide now how we handle them because I think they'll try to convince you either that seo is bad, or that they could do it cheaper?

      Get them on your side before they contact their existing web company.
      Excellent advice..a nice preemptive strike by informing the potential client and getting them to understand the reality of his/her situation. If the current website developer hits upon points you have already informed the potential client about, this will give you authority in the potential client's eyes. It may also likely put the current website developer under suspicion as being mainly interested in their own welfare and not in seeking to fulfill your potential client's needs and/or interests.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7262846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moving Writer
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7261697].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jimzimm
      I agree with what some others have said, get the deal first, get the website logins second.

      In addition to the questions that helisell suggested, how about asking how the website has increased their business? If they don't know or can't answer, it opens a lot of doors for not only SEO, but for tracking, calls to action, etc. More money making opportunities for you.

      If you get the customer to understand the "concept" of SEO, they don't need to understand the details. If you do some research and can show them they are not ranking for their targeted keywords, what do they have to lose? A website, no matter how great it is, is useless without targeted traffic.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7261934].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author joefalk
        Originally Posted by helisell View Post

        You need to ask them some serious questions when you are near to closing thedeal.

        Mr customer, when you appointed your current web design company, what were you hoping they could achieve for you?

        How well would you say they have managed to fulfill those hopes?

        What do you think their reaction will be when we contact them about what I'm going to do for you?

        On the basis that they seem to have failed rather miserably up to now....what do you think we should say to them?

        Are you definitely looking to get more customers by having a better optimised site?

        Shall we decide now how we handle them because I think they'll try to convince you either that seo is bad, or that they could do it cheaper?

        Get them on your side before they contact their existing web company.
        Thanks for the tips, good questions to ask. I will try this one out!

        Originally Posted by AllTheContent View Post

        Ever thought of getting the sale then asking for site details?
        Thats exactly what im doing... The deal is made alraedy.. THEN im asking for the site details. And then the customer backs out of the deal after they have spoken to their website agency.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265974].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author dnjoseph1
          I can imagine how annoying that must be. How about going in offering a guarantee of some sort? If they don't see any results/ get any leads within 60 days you'll refund double their money back. It's risk free for them and you get the opportunity to prove yourself.

          I hope you get this problem fixed!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7266019].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author roozmarry871
            yes you are right. they will be succeed if they want. you really prove your self. my best wishes with you dear.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7267665].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jimzimm
          If your customer is backing out after you already made the sale, it seems to me that you haven't made a very strong case that they need your service. If you have shown them through your research that they are not ranking highly for the keywords that they are targeting and you have made a strong case that you can help their rankings, increase their website traffic, and therefore increase their business, they should have no reason to back out.

          The other thing you could do is to be upfront with them, explain the situation that has happened to you and that if the site is "google friendly" and their website designer can also SEO their site, why haven't they done it yet? The bottom line is always results, so if you can give them concrete examples of the work that you have done, and give them specifics of what you will do for them, they will have no reason to back out.

          Thats exactly what im doing... The deal is made alraedy.. THEN im asking for the site details. And then the customer backs out of the deal after they have spoken to their website agency.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7267497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rearden
    It's an issue of trust, status-quo, or they're throwing you the "I got an Internet guy already" objection, because they really don't want to say, "I don't trust you enough, and don't care enough, anyway."

    "The devil you know is always better than the devil you don't know."

    Hang up and dial the next number.
    Signature
    David Duford -- Providing On-Going, Personalized Mentorship And Training From A Real Final Expense Producer To Agents New To The Final Expense Life Insurance Business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7267584].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author localvseo
    If your value is you are going to generate more business for the client, then there should be no issue positioning yourself as such. You are a sales/marketing/lead gen/fill in the blank company and your goal is to increase their revenue through a variety of strategies. If you build a sales presentation around that, then who "designs" the site should be trivial. Once you sold the client on your skills, let them know you will need assistance from the web design company to access the site.

    One way around possible conflicts that we have used is to view the web design company as a partner, not a competitor. If you do one project together you may end up getting a lot more business with them bringing you in on bids for new deals, or with their current clients, assuming you can truly add value to what they are doing. Another thing I do if a website company is hesitant about giving access for fear you will mess things up is to use a wireframe of the site. Type all of your changes in there, and let the design company make the edits to the pages. Basically, my suggestion is go into these situations positioning yourself as a value-add partner to both the client and design company and sell yourself that way. It's been a method that has worked for my business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7267810].message }}

Trending Topics