"Here's how I screwed up a lead source that generated $1,500 checks like clockwork..."

11 replies
Hey Offliners,

I'm not going to lie to you.

Getting your offline marketing business up and running successfully is probably one of the hardest things you'll ever do.

It was for me.

The funny thing is, it wasn't difficult for me because I had to create marketing campaigns.

I don't know about you, but I eat, live and breathe marketing campaigns...in fact putting together the campaign is the fun part.

And it wasn't difficult because I was afraid to talk to business owners. I actually enjoy rubbing elbows with other successful and driven entreprenuers. It energizes me.

And it definitely wasn't because I couldn't get clients. In many cases, I turned clients down for various reasons.

In fact, getting leads was usually not a issue, but separating the qualified leads from the tire-kickers can eat up a ton of time.

(I'll share with you how I overcame that challenge another time)

See, the truth is...offline marketing will be the hardest thing you've ever done because when you first get started there is no one to hold you accountable for following one course until successful, otherwise known as F.O.C.U.S.

And secondly and arguably more importantly, there is no one to hold you accountable for ONLY doing what will actually produce results.

Let me share my own personal journey to prove it to you. This is a very personal story and bothers me to this day.

When I first started offline marketing, I got my best clients from Craigslist.

Yep, I know that sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

I realize that what I'm about to say sounds like a bad internet marketing salespage bullet point, but it's true.

I was literally sitting at starbucks sipping $6 per cup coffee, while having business owners meet me just to drop off $1,500 checks.

It was insane but fun at the same time.

But, it came to a slow end.

Why?

Well, because I wasn't disciplined enough in my daily business habits.

I didn't have anyone to answer to that would keep me accountable, so I eventually stopped posting the ads that were generating business for me.

Actually, let me take that back.

I stopped paying a craigslist posting expert the $30 per week to post my ads.

Looking back, it seems insane that I didn't stick with that. It was driving tons of leads to my offline business like clockwork.

It's too bad that things have changed on Craigslist now and besides, I no longer offer the same offline services that I did then, but the lesson that I learned remains the same.

If you're just starting out or if you're trying to take your business to the next level, you need a group or someone to keep you accountable.

If you're on your own right now, try to find another offline marketer that you agree to skype or email on a daily basis with your list of actions that you completed each day.

It doesn't require you to spend a dime, but it will make a huge difference in your offline business.

Helping you build your offline business,

Chris

P.S. And no, I'm not talking about a mastermind group or a coaching program that meets once a month, per quarter or once a year. I've tried that and in my opinion, it's not enough 90% of the time. I'll tell you why that almost never works tomorrow.
#offline marketing #offline plr
  • Profile picture of the author TimD
    Chris, thanks for having the integrity to post this. I find this a constant struggle myself. I get a steady flow of leads from LinkedIn. And it is a constant challenge for me to keep doing the posting I need to in order to keep the leads coming in.

    I committed to myself to send status updates to my wife. I'm inconsistent at that. It helps. But your point is SO important.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7425783].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raineer
    I have to agree. It's always great to be constantly motivated by someone with the same ambitions as you. Great insights on this post, thank you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7426090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    Originally Posted by Chris Rivers View Post

    P.S. And no, I'm not talking about a mastermind group or a coaching program that meets once a month, per quarter or once a year. I've tried that and in my opinion, it's not enough 90% of the time. I'll tell you why that almost never works tomorrow.
    This is what I love is mastermind groups.

    I am a part of two seperate mastermind groups.

    The first one is all about personal change and influence

    The second one is for Real Estate Investing.

    For the Real Estate Investing, what we do different is we meet up once a week, every Sunday. We set our goals for the coming week, and also talk about what happened in the past week.

    So our weekly goals could be meeting up with potential investors, or going out and looking at a piece of property.

    Then once a month we meet up with our Mentor and she sees how we are doing, and gives up guidance.

    Even though we meet up with the mentor once a month in person, we are free to call her for advice throughout the month, and she is very open with her time, and if it is something quite important she will show up with us to talk to an investor or to close on a house.

    Will be interesting to hear what your opinion is of mastermind groups. It has been very productive for me. So productive that I have been thinking about setting one up for Internet Marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7426121].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
      Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

      This is what I love is mastermind groups.

      I am a part of two seperate mastermind groups.

      The first one is all about personal change and influence

      The second one is for Real Estate Investing.

      For the Real Estate Investing, what we do different is we meet up once a week, every Sunday. We set our goals for the coming week, and also talk about what happened in the past week.

      So our weekly goals could be meeting up with potential investors, or going out and looking at a piece of property.

      Then once a month we meet up with our Mentor and she sees how we are doing, and gives up guidance.

      Even though we meet up with the mentor once a month in person, we are free to call her for advice throughout the month, and she is very open with her time, and if it is something quite important she will show up with us to talk to an investor or to close on a house.

      Will be interesting to hear what your opinion is of mastermind groups. It has been very productive for me. So productive that I have been thinking about setting one up for Internet Marketing.
      Sounds like you found a good productive group.

      Personally from my experience most are a time suck, the info is
      topical in nature, can it help new people? maybe. Not the ones
      i have witnessed, they are rah rah ...just take action types,
      or thinly veiled pre pitches to coaching or products.

      Getting in with a group where everyone in it is above your level
      not trying to sell you something, and actually willing to help...
      that can be gold.

      I wonder where those are hidden at.
      Signature

      Selling Ain't for Sissies!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7426135].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        Getting in with a group where everyone in it is above your level
        not trying to sell you something, and actually willing to help...
        that can be gold.

        I wonder where those are hidden at.

        Locally... off line... find one or start one!
        Signature
        If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7428145].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        Sounds like you found a good productive group.

        Getting in with a group where everyone in it is above your level
        not trying to sell you something, and actually willing to help...
        that can be gold.

        I wonder where those are hidden at.
        I-80 East, exit 28, in Northern Nevada. Everyone there is above your level for sure. Open 24 hours a day and they can mastermind anything you so desire.

        However, if you are looking for a good productive group, I have to believe you are in the hot seat to create one. I don't know that for sure but that's my guess.

        Tom
        Signature
        Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

        The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7429845].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
          Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post

          I-80 East, exit 28, in Northern Nevada. Everyone there is above your level for sure. Open 24 hours a day and they can mastermind anything you so desire.
          Now THAT was funny

          Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post

          However, if you are looking for a good productive group, I have to believe you are in the hot seat to create one. I don't know that for sure but that's my guess.

          Tom
          I think I have to pass, after all i am a salesman, it would not take long
          before i had everyone breaking out their credit card.

          It is woven into my DNA. I would not be able to help myself. :rolleyes:
          Signature

          Selling Ain't for Sissies!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7433426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jayspann
    I find my biggest issue is that every time I get a system dialed in and profitable, I get bored with it and I'm ready to move on and try something else.

    I really REALLY need to work on this!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7429209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Preeti
    Great thread Chris...and so true: BUSINESS IS A DAILY ACTIVITY! Sometimes we all need a little kick in our behinds to remember this and stay disciplined with our actions!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7438500].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mckennabrowny
    Chris, I really appreciate your thread. Love that you put it all out there. I have an offline biz myself and some days are harder than others to keep me motivated. Thank god for my wife, who I call boss. That really keeps me in check. Anyways, thanks again and I agree, speaking with friends or people who are in your industry helps. Plus if I hear how well they're month is going it lights a fire in me as I can get competive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7589340].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ammartumbi
    Hi Chris, that is the same problem with me. I am a guy who gets distracted very easily. I am also providing services like website designing, social media marketing, etc but there are too many distractions that I can't focus on it. Nonetheless, I see this thread as a motivational factor for me and I will surely focus on my work from which I earn.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7589412].message }}

Trending Topics