How To Get A Book Out There....???

20 replies
Okay...

So, I have read a few posts about this, and know I need to do it.
So, this year I am going to put a book out.

Has anyone done this?
Can anyone that has give any insight?

I will actually be putting two out.
I for a foot in the door strategy, and one for credibility.

Anyone have any product recommendations?
Book writing guidelines?
100 pages? 300 pages?
Etc...

I prefer hard and digital copies.

Any help appreciated!
#book
  • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
    Originally Posted by vndnbrgj View Post

    Okay...

    So, I have read a few posts about this, and know I need to do it.
    So, this year I am going to put a book out.

    Has anyone done this?
    Can anyone that has give any insight?

    I will actually be putting two out.
    I for a foot in the door strategy, and one for credibility.

    Anyone have any product recommendations?
    Book writing guidelines?
    100 pages? 300 pages?
    Etc...

    I prefer hard and digital copies.

    Any help appreciated!
    Are you writing these books or having them ghostwritten? Makes a difference.

    Tom
    Signature
    Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

    The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7546778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Solem
    I've published a book or two using createspace and they really couldn't make it any easier or cheaper for you to get published. Depending on your topic and your writing abilities, I'd say find some great PLR that you align with, rewrite it and add more value or resources to it, and redesign the cover to be unique for you.

    As far as how many pages? I'd say that depends on the attention span of your audience, how much you feel like writing and how much you feel like paying for hardcopies of your books.

    My primary book is 148 pages and each costs about $2.65 plus shipping https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/ - 300 pages will cost close to $2 more per book. Is it worth the extra cost? I think just having a published book gets the instant credibility meter up to about 98% regardless of size....so not worth the little extra cred that a BIG book would get you in my opinion.

    HTH
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7546802].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Yup, Createspace. They give you a format, guides, send you a physical proof, and publish on demand. I have one coming out this month that I think I paid a total of $25 for to get set up.

      Just think about questions people want to ask about your subject. Write a chapter every few days. After 12 chapters, you have a fine book. 100 pages is fine.

      The "business card-sales letter-PR piece book" can be about 100 pages.

      You don't need another one for credibility. One book makes you credible. Write a second book if it's a different subject, or you just want to. But one is enough.

      Just start writing in Word and transfer it to the Createspace format. Or download the template and just start typing.

      It's really not hard at all.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7546829].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
        Now you've got me thinking on writing one
        one on the topic of advertising for tradespeople Claude.

        The head of Yellow Pages Internet division said their
        bread and butter advertisers are tradespeople,
        or tradies he called them.

        From what you just described sounds easy enough.

        Thank you.

        Best,
        Ewen

        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Yup, Createspace. They give you a format, guides, send you a physical proof, and publish on demand. I have one coming out this month that I think I paid a total of $25 for to get set up.

        Just think about questions people want to ask about your subject. Write a chapter every few days. After 12 chapters, you have a fine book. 100 pages is fine.

        The "business card-sales letter-PR piece book" can be about 100 pages.

        You don't need another one for credibility. One book makes you credible. Write a second book if it's a different subject, or you just want to. But one is enough.

        Just start writing in Word and transfer it to the Createspace format. Or download the template and just start typing.

        It's really not hard at all.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7546874].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

          Now you've got me thinking on writing one
          one on the topic of advertising for tradespeople Claude.

          The head of Yellow Pages Internet division said their
          bread and butter advertisers are tradespeople,
          or tradies he called them.

          From what you just described sounds easy enough.

          Thank you.

          Best,
          Ewen
          Here is what I did. I have a 17 year old that does some work for me online. Very smart kid.
          I have a Word document that has a book I wrote on it. I was just waiting to get a book printer. I said "Go to Createspace, figure it out, and get my book published." That was it.

          A week later, I had a hard copy in my hand for final proofreading. It should be on Amazon in a week or so. And in Kindle version too.

          It took him about an hour to figure everything out. I'm telling you, it couldn't be easier. They ever let you use their Copyright. They will show you how to create a beautiful cover too. It's a new world, my friend.
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7546921].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
            Yeah I knew about Creatspace and poked around it some time ago.

            It only occurred to me about using it for my subject of interest.

            Say at a 2k price point for end sale,
            then there is big margin to use the book as a lead gen.

            And your point about using common questions as the book outline triggered another aha moment for me.[thank you]

            Now the question comes up for me is how much of the secret sauce do I give in the book.

            When I want them to hire me to write the ad.

            I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the whole lead gen process too Claude.

            Best,
            Ewen


            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            Here is what I did. I have a 17 year old that does some work for me online. Very smart kid.
            I have a Word document that has a book I wrote on it. I was just waiting to get a book printer. I said "Go to Createspace, figure it out, and get my book published." That was it.

            A week later, I had a hard copy in my hand for final proofreading. It should be on Amazon in a week or so. And in Kindle version too.

            It took him about an hour to figure everything out. I'm telling you, it couldn't be easier. They ever let you use their Copyright. They will show you how to create a beautiful cover too. It's a new world, my friend.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7546991].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author leeannprice
              I'm an Amazon and Kindle published author, and, yes, it is easy to publish a book on Createspace. Easy in that it's a simple process to upload. You're still writing a book, which needs to provide value to the end reader.

              Because of that, I would stay very far away from using PLR, it's something Amazon used to tolerate and now it violates their terms of service. People have had their accounts terminated for using it.

              There are far better ways of getting original content. You can interview experts, transcribe that audio. You can have bloggers submit content from blogs, etc.

              Just my .02

              Lee Ann
              Signature
              MobileBizBox - Apps, SMS, Mobile Sites, QR - everything you need for your mobile business. 30 Day Free Trial
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7547079].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Sherry Han
              Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

              Now the question comes up for me is how much of the secret sauce do I give in the book.

              When I want them to hire me to write the ad.
              I give away quite a bit in my book. Not everything but certainly more than enough for business owners to take action on and gain immense results from. At first I was worried about giving up "too much", but not anymore.

              What I learned after talking to so many business owners is that most of them will not read the book at all, or just skim through it. They don't have the time. I know this because sometimes I'll ask them what they thought of my book. However, because I gave them a copy of my book for free, I've suddenly gained expert status. They are more likely to hire me even though many of them haven't seen a page of my book!

              And even those who read the book will either not act on it or try it a little bit before they end up hiring someone (usually me). The book, being detailed as it is, provides me with such credibility and that's all it's meant to be. It can teach people real IM skills but that's usually not what ends up happening.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7547385].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                You confirmed my thoughts Sherry.

                Thank you.

                Was your book used as a lead magnet where you posted it out to a prospect?

                Or was it used in another way?

                Best,
                Ewen


                Originally Posted by Sherry Han View Post

                I give away quite a bit in my book. Not everything but certainly more than enough for business owners to take action on and gain immense results from. At first I was worried about giving up "too much", but not anymore.

                What I learned after talking to so many business owners is that most of them will not read the book at all, or just skim through it. They don't have the time. I know this because sometimes I'll ask them what they thought of my book. However, because I gave them a copy of my book for free, I've suddenly gained expert status. They are more likely to hire me even though many of them haven't seen a page of my book!

                And even those who read the book will either not act on it or try it a little bit before they end up hiring someone (usually me). The book, being detailed as it is, provides me with such credibility and that's all it's meant to be. It can teach people real IM skills but that's usually not what ends up happening.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7547415].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Sherry Han
                  I prospect exclusively through networking groups, particularly BNI. I bring a whole box of books with me to each meeting I attend and hand them out for free along with my business card when I meet each attendee. I have not tried to send them out via direct mail yet.

                  Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

                  You confirmed my thoughts Sherry.

                  Thank you.

                  Was your book used as a lead magnet where you posted it out to a prospect?

                  Or was it used in another way?

                  Best,
                  Ewen
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7549363].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                    I don't know if this precisely applies to the OP. But I sell my books. The only time I give one away is as part of a prospecting package to book speeches or interviews...and only after requested.

                    I used to give my books away anywhere I could. Everyone said "Thanks" but nobody read them. How often have you guys read a free book...that you didn't ask for?

                    For example, I have a book on this Forum I give away in digital form. That's OK, and it has brought me a little business. But I've been asked a lot for free hard copy books. I've never converted one of those to a sale. Never.

                    So the market has taught me that free hard copy books given away without a request..doesn't pay well. But that's just my experience.
                    Signature
                    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                    What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550831].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                      That's the guts of the matter I was after,
                      thanks Claude!

                      Best,
                      Ewen

                      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                      I don't know if this precisely applies to the OP. But I sell my books. The only time I give one away is as part of a prospecting package to book speeches or interviews...and only after requested.

                      I used to give my books away anywhere I could. Everyone said "Thanks" but nobody read them. How often have you guys read a free book...that you didn't ask for?

                      For example, I have a book on this Forum I give away in digital form. That's OK, and it has brought me a little business. But I've been asked a lot for free hard copy books. I've never converted one of those to a sale. Never.

                      So the market has taught me that free hard copy books given away without a request..doesn't pay well. But that's just my experience.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7551036].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Sherry Han
                      Yeah, you're right that very few read them. But that's not really the goal here. Giving away books at networking meetings gives me a much easier time following up and making that sale later because of the added credibility.

                      I prospected without having a book for a very long time and even with my extensive knowledge in the field and personalized tips for each attendee, most of the time I still fought an uphill battle. Offering them a book lets most of them put their guard down almost instantly, whereas without one, people tended to remain skeptical about my abilities and probably were still wondering "does she really know what she's talking about??"

                      But I always follow up 100% of the time. I agree that very few people will initiate contact just based on the fact that I gave them a book (although I have gotten several clients this way), but my close rate is much higher since I started giving away books, whether the actual book is being read or not.

                      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                      I don't know if this precisely applies to the OP. But I sell my books. The only time I give one away is as part of a prospecting package to book speeches or interviews...and only after requested.

                      I used to give my books away anywhere I could. Everyone said "Thanks" but nobody read them. How often have you guys read a free book...that you didn't ask for?

                      For example, I have a book on this Forum I give away in digital form. That's OK, and it has brought me a little business. But I've been asked a lot for free hard copy books. I've never converted one of those to a sale. Never.

                      So the market has taught me that free hard copy books given away without a request..doesn't pay well. But that's just my experience.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7551774].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                        Originally Posted by Sherry Han View Post

                        Yeah, you're right that very few read them. But that's not really the goal here. Giving away books at networking meetings gives me a much easier time following up and making that sale later because of the added credibility.

                        I prospected without having a book for a very long time and even with my extensive knowledge in the field and personalized tips for each attendee, most of the time I still fought an uphill battle. Offering them a book lets most of them put their guard down almost instantly, whereas without one, people tended to remain skeptical about my abilities and probably were still wondering "does she really know what she's talking about??"

                        But I always follow up 100% of the time. I agree that very few people will initiate contact just based on the fact that I gave them a book (although I have gotten several clients this way), but my close rate is much higher since I started giving away books, whether the actual book is being read or not.
                        Sherry; The huge difference is that you followed up. I don't. I think I like your idea. I now completely understand why you give the book away.
                        Signature
                        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                        What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7553479].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
              Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post


              Now the question comes up for me is how much of the secret sauce do I give in the book.

              I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the whole lead gen process too Claude.

              Best,
              Ewen
              The lead generation process that my book is a part of is this; Interviews, articles, blog posts, with my book as the first small sale. My books are very informative, but there is no mistaking that they are designed to generate leads, and they do. My advertising book even had an offer for a $39.95 newsletter (now unavailable from me). It pulled well.

              As far as how much to tell in the book? Tell everything that will impress. Just don't reveal something that excludes a portion of your target audience.

              Believe me, if you told everything you knew, in the book, it wouldn't matter. You would still get leads from it, because the readers don't want to do the work.

              Book readers are few in number, but they are better buyers than internet driven leads. They are better than direct mail leads. And writing books is the best way I've found to make money from lead generation, even if they never go beyond buying the book.
              Signature
              One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

              What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7548774].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    Thank you everyone for your feedback.

    I think I looked at CreateSpace but was a little unsure.
    I thought I read that the book will only be published through Amazon.
    My second book I would like to have everywhere.
    I don't want to be tied down to just Amazon.

    One is for credibility. That one could be exclusive to Amazon.
    But, the foot in the door book, I would like to have on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.
    So, someone can have it on the IPad, Kindle Fire, Nook, and whatever tablets are in store for 2013.
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7548726].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by vndnbrgj View Post

      Thank you everyone for your feedback.

      I think I looked at CreateSpace but was a little unsure.
      I thought I read that the book will only be published through Amazon.
      My second book I would like to have everywhere.
      I don't want to be tied down to just Amazon.

      One is for credibility. That one could be exclusive to Amazon.
      But, the foot in the door book, I would like to have on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.
      So, someone can have it on the IPad, Kindle Fire, Nook, and whatever tablets are in store for 2013.
      You can buy Createspace copies for a few dollars each and sell them any way you like, from anywhere. You own the copyright.

      My plan was that if I sell a few hundred Createspace books on Amazon, I'll take the book to a printer to get a few thousand copies. A pure book printer will save you money in large quantities. But Createspace has very reasonable single copy prices (wholesale to you).

      And don't use PLR content or Public Domain content. They don't like that, and your book could be refused.

      If you write 12 articles...that's a book.
      A 90 minute interview is a book.
      Heck, I could (but won't) take the best 50 posts here from any of a dozen posters...and have a pretty good book.

      A person working a few hours a day on it, could write a book in 10 days.

      If you can talk about your subject for 3 hours without repeating yourself, you have a heck of a book, or two.

      I have a speaker friend who wrote three cookbooks using a type of grain (no idea what it is). That was a few months ago. Last month (Dec) Amazon sent her a check for $3,200. No promotion on her part (I threw some links to her sales page). No upsells. Just copies of those darn books.

      I have one coming out this week, and three others in various stages of creation. It's only hard before you start.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7548819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    The hard copy of my lead gen book would be used in a package.
    After a deal had been struck. Otherwise it would need to be purchased.

    The foot in the door book, needs to have a hard copy to have on hand.
    Upon completion, I anticipate shipping 1,000 in the first week.
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7550968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SashaLee
    Hi folks,

    Thanks View Profile: Steve Solem for the CreativeSpace link - it's exactly what one of our clients was looking for.

    They actually had a pretty good idea, although it might be an expensive one. They have hubs of business - dealers, if you will, who refer business to them. the dealers sell one portion of the solution, and our client sells the other portion. Their pool of dealer prospects is 2500. Once they nab one, they usually stay for life but the sale is difficult.

    Their idea was to produce a book for their dealer clients, but brand it for the dealer. So the book would be "10 steps to solving {niche} by Joe Dealer". The book would be written by our client and would provide valuable data to the end consumer. Our client figured if it was professionally done, the dealer would have no problem in giving it away for free to their client and the referral would be automatic due to the content in the book. Our client wants to provide it to the dealer for free.

    Finding a way to customize/brand small quantities is our current task....this thread has been super-helpful.

    Best,

    Sasha
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7552381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    It sounds like a report to me....
    Which could be a give away for an opt-in or a hard copy I suppose.
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7553237].message }}

Trending Topics