Tell me more about taking checks from clients

by ToddG
27 replies
I read iamnameless's thread about taking checks but I still have questions.
I will be getting recurring monthly payments and do not want to run in to trouble with paypal and merchant accounts.
1. Do you need a signature on the checks?
2. What do you tell clients as far as how they will be billed monthly? Seems like some people would not like the fact that you print checks with their info on it.
3. What do you use to take checks?
#checks #clients #taking
  • Profile picture of the author sodomojo
    Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

    I read iamnameless's thread about taking checks but I still have questions.
    I will be getting recurring monthly payments and do not want to run in to trouble with paypal and merchant accounts.
    1. Do you need a signature on the checks?
    2. What do you tell clients as far as how they will be billed monthly? Seems like some people would not like the fact that you print checks with their info on it.
    3. What do you use to take checks?
    No. You do not need a signature. Just an image with text that's says authorized by depositor. No signature required.

    You can either send them an invoice and haves them enter their info every month or after getting their info the first time you'll just need a check number so just call and get it. What's the difference between this and them sending you a check.

    Software called ezcheck. And I grabbed some blank checks at office depot. And my laser printer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576748].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by sodomojo View Post

      No. You do not need a signature. Just an image with text that's says authorized by depositor. No signature required.

      You can either send them an invoice and haves them enter their info every month or after getting their info the first time you'll just need a check number so just call and get it. What's the difference between this and them sending you a check.

      Software called ezcheck. And I grabbed some blank checks at office depot. And my laser printer.
      This.

      I don't even use a laser printer. Once they authorize monthly payments, that is all you need, just keep it on file. Turn the email authorizing you to take recurring payments into a PDF and stick it in their folder.

      I print the checks on OfficeDepot checks, then go to the ATM at the bank and deposit them. No problems at all.
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576868].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LEIVA
        Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

        This.

        I don't even use a laser printer. Once they authorize monthly payments, that is all you need, just keep it on file. Turn the email authorizing you to take recurring payments into a PDF and stick it in their folder.

        I print the checks on OfficeDepot checks, then go to the ATM at the bank and deposit them. No problems at all.
        Did you mind if you can explain little bit more on how you do the check processing with your customers.

        I was thinking in buy a software to make the checks but not sure how to handle then after that

        Thank you
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tigerbait
    Do you guys happen to have a link to the particular software? I googled it, and there are several different links that pop up. Not sure which one you're talking about?

    Here are 2 I found:

    Computer Check Writing & Printing Software. FREE Offer Available

    EZCheckHome

    Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576933].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      I use the first one. Can be a pain...but it works just fine once you figure it out.
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bluecoyotemedia
    Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

    I read iamnameless's thread about taking checks but I still have questions.
    I will be getting recurring monthly payments and do not want to run in to trouble with paypal and merchant accounts.
    1. Do you need a signature on the checks?
    2. What do you tell clients as far as how they will be billed monthly? Seems like some people would not like the fact that you print checks with their info on it.
    3. What do you use to take checks?


    Todd

    the company i use currently is Electronic Check Payment Processing, Check By Phone Services

    eddie
    Signature

    Skunkworks: noun. informal.

    A clandestine group operating without any external intervention or oversight. Such groups achieve significant breakthroughs rarely discussed in public because they operate "outside the box".
    https://short-stuff.com/-Mjk0fDExOA==

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7579476].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

      This.

      I don't even use a laser printer.
      Sometimes, that can be an issue. It depends entirely on your bank or the client's bank. You'll eventually get returns saying that the MICR line couldn't be read. Using ink instead of toner isn't very good for this, but it can be done. I'd just recommend avoiding the issue altogether and use a printer that has toner and not ink.

      Originally Posted by bluecoyotemedia View Post

      Todd

      the company i use currently is Electronic Check Payment Processing, Check By Phone Services

      eddie
      The one issue I have with these companies, they still take fees and they are still heavily regulated... nothing beats doing it yourself.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580024].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        Sometimes, that can be an issue. It depends entirely on your bank or the client's bank. You'll eventually get returns saying that the MICR line couldn't be read. Using ink instead of toner isn't very good for this, but it can be done. I'd just recommend avoiding the issue altogether and use a printer that has toner and not ink.
        Thanks for the tip. If I run into an issue I'll know where to start.

        Right now I go to the Wells Fargo ATM which reads and deposits the checks directly with no envelope. You can put in up to 30 at a time and it reads them all, totals them up, and deposits them. You don't even have to type in the amounts.

        It's so easy because I can just go whenever I am out.
        Signature
        Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580051].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
          Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

          Thanks for the tip. If I run into an issue I'll know where to start.

          Right now I go to the Wells Fargo ATM which reads and deposits the checks directly with no envelope. You can put in up to 30 at a time and it reads them all, totals them up, and deposits them. You don't even have to type in the amounts.

          It's so easy because I can just go whenever I am out.
          You know Wells Fargo has a remote reader, you don't even have to leave your house. I have regions and they have it as well, but I prefer to go to the bank. Bank tellers are always hot.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580072].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
            Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

            You know Wells Fargo has a remote reader, you don't even have to leave your house. I have regions and they have it as well, but I prefer to go to the bank. Bank tellers are always hot.
            I had no idea they had a remote reader. That might be even better.
            Signature
            Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580284].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pmarketing
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        Sometimes, that can be an issue. It depends entirely on your bank or the client's bank. You'll eventually get returns saying that the MICR line couldn't be read. Using ink instead of toner isn't very good for this, but it can be done. I'd just recommend avoiding the issue altogether and use a printer that has toner and not ink.



        The one issue I have with these companies, they still take fees and they are still heavily regulated... nothing beats doing it yourself.
        How do you handle recurring billing?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580895].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
          Originally Posted by LEIVA View Post

          Did you mind if you can explain little bit more on how you do the check processing with your customers.

          I was thinking in buy a software to make the checks but not sure how to handle then after that

          Thank you
          Sure. I got the idea from nameless months ago. Not sure the thread. Before that I was collecting checks in person.

          The ezcheckprinting software allows you to create personalized checks. I think it is intended to print your own checks to make payments from your business...but it works just as well to print checks for your customers purchases.

          All you need is the routing and account number (from the bottom of any of their checks) and some check stock, and you can print up checks for their purchases. I just take the info over the phone or from a check they gave me in the past.

          Print it, endorse it, take it to the bank.

          Originally Posted by pmarketing View Post

          How do you handle recurring billing?
          Just print a new check every month for the recurring amount and deposit it.
          Signature
          Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7582559].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author LEIVA
            Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

            Sure. I got the idea from nameless months ago. Not sure the thread. Before that I was collecting checks in person.

            The ezcheckprinting software allows you to create personalized checks. I think it is intended to print your own checks to make payments from your business...but it works just as well to print checks for your customers purchases.

            All you need is the routing and account number (from the bottom of any of their checks) and some check stock, and you can print up checks for their purchases. I just take the info over the phone or from a check they gave me in the past.

            Print it, endorse it, take it to the bank.



            Just print a new check every month for the recurring amount and deposit it.
            exactly the way i was thinking to do it.

            Now the part of the agreement is doing it sending them a email pdf or anything that the customer agree to get deducted (recurring) correct or is other way.

            And do you send a copy (PAID) by email of the billing after the check clear ?
            I was looking at that ezcheckprinting software as well

            Thanks a lot

            I also read the @iAmNameLess threat as well and get the idea too
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7585512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RyanJ
    I bank with Chase. All I do is take a picture of both sides of the check using their app and it usually is processed by the next morning.

    I use ezCheckPrinting Single-User Basic Version and had to order in the blank checks from Staples.com... DocuGard Standard Security Prismatic Business Checks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmyKay
    Ditto. I started doing this, and love it.

    I use EZ check printing software, and bought blank checks at Office Max.

    I deposited mine from home with my bank's iphone app. I did some at an ATM, too.

    Easy, peasy. No fees. No chargebacks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7591691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allApp
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7622932].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RyanJ
      Read posts #4 & 5.

      Originally Posted by allApp View Post

      where do you get the ezcheckprinting software? can this be used to do payroll etc? thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7623919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Lee
    I'm getting this setup right now, but the only question I have is do you ask the client what check number to start out at? Do you leave the check number off?
    Signature
    "One of the Most Successful Offline WSO's Ever!
    Get More High $$$ Clients with this Small Business Marketing PLR Magazine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8046980].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
      Originally Posted by Matt Lee View Post

      I'm getting this setup right now, but the only question I have is do you ask the client what check number to start out at? Do you leave the check number off?
      you need the check number.


      and recurring billing needs the correct check number.

      if your not careful if they buy with check 001,

      and in that month they use 10 more checks.

      then you just guess the next number for reoccurring ...

      let say you guess check num 109 -- which they already used

      it bounces as a NSF.

      so they get a $20 or $30 fee and you get nothing but a pissed off client.

      if you make a deal for reoccurring.

      you make them sign each check in there book, scratch it off and print
      VOID.

      then they give you each check number they did that too
      and you synch them ( the check numbers ) up for monthly billing.

      for once, easier then it sounds.
      Signature

      Selling Ain't for Sissies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8047107].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        you need the check number.


        and recurring billing needs the correct check number.

        if your not careful if they buy with check 001,

        and in that month they use 10 more checks.

        then you just guess the next number for reoccurring ...

        let say you guess check num 109 -- which they already used

        it bounces as a NSF.

        so they get a $20 or $30 fee and you get nothing but a pissed off client.

        if you make a deal for reoccurring.

        you make them sign each check in there book, scratch it off and print
        VOID.

        then they give you each check number they did that too
        and you synch them ( the check numbers ) up for monthly billing.

        for once, easier then it sounds.
        I never had that problem. There was once when I was given the wrong check number initially and it was off by over 100,000 in the series, but the bank called the client to verify. I have always done recurring with the # after the original.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8047581].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          I never had that problem. There was once when I was given the wrong check number initially and it was off by over 100,000 in the series, but the bank called the client to verify. I have always done recurring with the # after the original.
          I have just been leaving the check number off. I have never had a problem depositing.

          You have to remember that a check is just a formal template of a negotiable instrument. You can write a check on a napkin to a person for an amount, sign it, write the account number on there, and they can take it to your bank and withdraw.

          A check is just a simple contract. No numbers are needed.
          Signature
          Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8055701].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author SirThomas
            Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

            I have just been leaving the check number off. I have never had a problem depositing.

            You have to remember that a check is just a formal template of a negotiable instrument. You can write a check on a napkin to a person for an amount, sign it, write the account number on there, and they can take it to your bank and withdraw.

            A check is just a simple contract. No numbers are needed.
            In the 90's, when I fist started to accept checks by phone/fax, I was told by my banker that I can bring the check printed on a basic 8x11 sheet of paper (3 checks per page) and they will accept it, as long as I have correct numbers on it and was given permission to draw that amount.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8056799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    Check numbers really don't have much meaning to them. They are more for the banks customer to track and in the past (80 and before) they were used to show how long someone had a checking account.

    Back then businesses would not accept a check under number 300. Then everyone with new accounts asked for checks starting with 301 (you can see how that went).

    So other than in a rare care like that first check Nameless had you are unlikely to have a problem as long as the company has authorized it.

    That fact his banks caught that would mean I would want to bank with them. Most banks would never even question it.

    Everyone needs to remember that Nameless does this all the time. He is the expert on this. It works and he has told us how it works and how if we want to we can do the same.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8047652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SirThomas
    In the 90's, we used to always print out the same check number. The bankers said it's OK and it will be easily recognized as a "monthly" charge. They wouldn't bounce it. They might confirm it with the account owner once and allow it to continue.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8048070].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Lee
      Appreciate the input everyone! I have to be honest, even though I have a signed bank draft authorization from my client, it feels weird printing my own check. Almost like I'm doing something wrong lol. But it's hands down the best way to get paid by your client. No fee's, no chargebacks, and you get paid on time, EVERY time.

      Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

      you need the check number.


      and recurring billing needs the correct check number.

      if your not careful if they buy with check 001,

      and in that month they use 10 more checks.

      then you just guess the next number for reoccurring ...

      let say you guess check num 109 -- which they already used

      it bounces as a NSF.

      so they get a $20 or $30 fee and you get nothing but a pissed off client.

      if you make a deal for reoccurring.

      you make them sign each check in there book, scratch it off and print
      VOID.

      then they give you each check number they did that too
      and you synch them ( the check numbers ) up for monthly billing.

      for once, easier then it sounds.
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      I never had that problem. There was once when I was given the wrong check number initially and it was off by over 100,000 in the series, but the bank called the client to verify. I have always done recurring with the # after the original.
      Originally Posted by Aaron Doud View Post

      Check numbers really don't have much meaning to them. They are more for the banks customer to track and in the past (80 and before) they were used to show how long someone had a checking account.

      Back then businesses would not accept a check under number 300. Then everyone with new accounts asked for checks starting with 301 (you can see how that went).

      So other than in a rare care like that first check Nameless had you are unlikely to have a problem as long as the company has authorized it.

      That fact his banks caught that would mean I would want to bank with them. Most banks would never even question it.

      Everyone needs to remember that Nameless does this all the time. He is the expert on this. It works and he has told us how it works and how if we want to we can do the same.
      Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post

      In the 90's, we used to always print out the same check number. The bankers said it's OK and it will be easily recognized as a "monthly" charge. They wouldn't bounce it. They might confirm it with the account owner once and allow it to continue.
      Signature
      "One of the Most Successful Offline WSO's Ever!
      Get More High $$$ Clients with this Small Business Marketing PLR Magazine
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8050147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan R
    Thanks for the info guys...definitely beats the heck out of visiting 40+ people every month.

    Does anyone have the link to the original thread?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8048159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kellyyarnsbro
    I take checks from my clients before and mind you same story i get, some bounces and some are good, either way happens mostly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8053755].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jay Rhome
    As I'm not in the U.S , I can't print my own checks, but there is a way to get void checks for recurring billing, but banks charge fees.

    Has anyone simply asked clients for a bunch of postdated checks?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8055683].message }}

Trending Topics