How much are you charging?

12 replies
Hey guys,

It will be great to hear from the people who have been at this for a while:

Can you guys give us a rough guidelines as to how much you guys charge for different options within your services range?

Services could include things like:

1. Website design, development, hosting
2. Website redesign
3. SEO for local businesses
4. Setting up email marketing (auto responders with provided articles)
5. Generating leads through your PPC campaigns
6. Videos / Social media channel establishment

Things of this nature.

I am definitely going to head into this at the top end of the budget but wanted to try and work within "market reality".

Thanks in advanced.
#charging
  • Profile picture of the author djackson
    seo: 500-1000/month
    throw in email marketing for additional 300/month
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7590880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author boatree
      djjackson, if I may play devils advocate here.... re SEO - How do you justify your fee's?

      I am guessing it would be something like: "You will need to pay me $1,000.00 a month to maintain your search engine rankings?" Is there a specific pitch you utilize?

      As we know, SEO is not something that is ever guaranteed eg. An algorithm change could occur, or something else out of your control.

      How do you rectify this?

      Thanks,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7590952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shubh
    The charges for the services you mentioned can not be fixed. Every website owner has different requirements. And, also the different products and services have different competition level; so we need to assess the requirements first; only then we can judge the price.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7592710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oscarsolutions
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7592804].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheWPHowToBlog
    For SEO services, $500 - $800.
    Signature
    WordPress and Blogging Tips from a seasoned full time blogger running multiple blogs.
    FREE course “Make Money Blogging” - Step-by-step instructions for starting a blog and making money from it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7595804].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CageyVet
    Giving an industry average is like asking how much you will be paid to be a professional athlete....It depends on the sport, the country,your talent, your market and the talent around you....

    Also you can do a variety of different pricing models, per hour billing, fixed cost billing, package deals, bolt on services, low cost products to induce upsells etc etc etc. It is more about what your business/marketing model is that what the average business is charging...

    I will give you my companies ranges for all the services you listed since I do them all...

    1. Website design, development, hosting - $295 to $10,000 intial with $30 to $5000 a month for maintenanec.,dev and/or hosting.
    2. Website redesign - $195 to $10,000
    3. SEO for local businesses $100 to $2000 setup and $100 to $10,000 montly
    4. Setting up email marketing (auto responders with provided articles) $200 to $2000 setup and $100 to $5000 monthly
    5. Generating leads through your PPC campaigns $100 to $5000 setup $200 or 20% monthly
    6. Videos / Social media channel establishment - $50 to $2000 setup and $100 to $10,000 monthly.

    As you can see there is quite a range in all the services I provide. The reason for this has been stated already. Every business is different with different needs only, so I ALWAYS custom bill clients on their exact needs, which means there is no set pricing for services. 40% on top of estimated time spend is my average billing amount.



    Originally Posted by boatree View Post

    Hey guys,

    It will be great to hear from the people who have been at this for a while:

    Can you guys give us a rough guidelines as to how much you guys charge for different options within your services range?

    Services could include things like:

    1. Website design, development, hosting
    2. Website redesign
    3. SEO for local businesses
    4. Setting up email marketing (auto responders with provided articles)
    5. Generating leads through your PPC campaigns
    6. Videos / Social media channel establishment

    Things of this nature.

    I am definitely going to head into this at the top end of the budget but wanted to try and work within "market reality".

    Thanks in advanced.
    Signature
    I'm just an opinionated ******* Today!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7596370].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author boatree
      Cageyvet,

      Can you outline what factors determine whether or not you charge a client 1K or 10K for a website re-design or development project?

      The 1K quote will probably cover a basic 5 page website, with some copywriting and basic designs + hosting.

      How do you determine you will quote 2.5, 5K, 10K etc...?

      Your feedback on this would be much appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Originally Posted by CageyVet View Post

      Giving an industry average is like asking how much you will be paid to be a professional athlete....It depends on the sport, the country,your talent, your market and the talent around you....

      Also you can do a variety of different pricing models, per hour billing, fixed cost billing, package deals, bolt on services, low cost products to induce upsells etc etc etc. It is more about what your business/marketing model is that what the average business is charging...

      I will give you my companies ranges for all the services you listed since I do them all...

      1. Website design, development, hosting - $295 to $10,000 intial with $30 to $5000 a month for maintenanec.,dev and/or hosting.
      2. Website redesign - $195 to $10,000
      3. SEO for local businesses $100 to $2000 setup and $100 to $10,000 montly
      4. Setting up email marketing (auto responders with provided articles) $200 to $2000 setup and $100 to $5000 monthly
      5. Generating leads through your PPC campaigns $100 to $5000 setup $200 or 20% monthly
      6. Videos / Social media channel establishment - $50 to $2000 setup and $100 to $10,000 monthly.

      As you can see there is quite a range in all the services I provide. The reason for this has been stated already. Every business is different with different needs only, so I ALWAYS custom bill clients on their exact needs, which means there is no set pricing for services. 40% on top of estimated time spend is my average billing amount.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597394].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CageyVet
    For me it is a simple mathematical equation...How much time it is going to take X hourly rate X a sliding scale margins multiplier. So the more hours it takes, the larger the margin multiplier to cover unforeseen costs associated with larger/long projects.

    But in simple examples.
    $200 is for a 5 page wordpress theme with minor customization if any.
    $1000 is for a 5 page site(cms or html) with minor theme customization and minor features(standard plugins or HTML features), adding of their content, basic SEO for site/onpage, and 1 hour of training.

    As for anything above $1000, it is pretty much going to be based on knowing how long it takes me or my designers/developers to complete certain tasks and then using those numbers to generate quote/price for work required. So if I know it takes 4hours to setup a basic eCommerce module, then I plug those 4 hours into my project equation and work out the numbers.

    I am a big believer in tracking your current project timelines, resources, tools etc etc to know how to make future projects more efficient and a better ROI for me. Internally I break down all components of a project to its bare bottom tasks and build my projects costs/time up from there. So if you do not have a pile of projects under your belt to pull data from, then just sit down and take what the customer wants for a website. Strip out each individual component and try and estimate how much time each of those components is going to take you to complete. That includes, meetings, paperwork, tracking, doing the work, fixing the work, tweaking the work, etc etc etc. Then add it all up for a total timeframe, multiply that by your consulting rate and build in your overhead margins.
    Signature
    I'm just an opinionated ******* Today!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7598215].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kellyyarnsbro
    If you're looking for best and great quality results i would say it would cost you a $1200 for all of it. I suggest you don't go for the cheaper one's when you want to have great results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7599285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ammartumbi
    It depends on the scope of work. A simple wordpress website can be made for $500 but again depending on the scope of work. Some people prefer to make a custom wordpress template or they have too many requirement so then it can range from $3,500 and above. In this business we can never give the price immediately. We have to check the scope of work, time frame, complications and many other factors.

    So if you are going into this business then remember one thing don't quote your clients immediately don't even give them an idea because it can have a negative impact if the cost of the project then turns out to be higher.

    Best of luck and I hope you can acheive a lot of success in this business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7599352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CageyVet
      Originally Posted by ammartumbi View Post

      So if you are going into this business then remember one thing don't quote your clients immediately don't even give them an idea because it can have a negative impact if the cost of the project then turns out to be higher.
      This is a bit of an important point and thank ammartumbi for re-iterating it. Unless you are going to sell pre-packaged services/products that can not be modified in any way and you know exactly how much time it takes...Then you should use your sales funnel to make sure you understand your potential clients needs and requests well before you give them a quote. This is to understand your client's exact needs, their expectation of work and the understanding of how they do business. Knowing all of this will allow you to better quote your projects and get into less trouble/problems down the road.

      So many people in this industry do not spend enough time on these parts of their business which are just as important as everything else. Keep asking more questions so that you can be more educated in running your business....
      Signature
      I'm just an opinionated ******* Today!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7601742].message }}

Trending Topics