They say "Yeah Yeah....not interested...I know all about it!

by helisell 39 replies
Happens? To You? Often?

Next time someone says that then try this

I know all about it

It works really well to get the conversation going again.
#offline marketing #interestedi #they say yeah #yeahnot
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Im out of thanks, but "Good one".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7614767].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    When I used to do telemarketing and got a canned "I'm not interested" response, I usually came back with.."You don't even know what I have to offer you"...and variations of the same thing.
    Occasionally if I was feeling bold I would say "so you're not interested in the winning lottery ticket?"
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Check out my site or blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7614950].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      When I used to do telemarketing and got a canned "I'm not interested" response, I usually came back with.."You don't even know what I have to offer you"...and variations of the same thing.
      Occasionally if I was feeling bold I would say "so you're not interested in the winning lottery ticket?"
      Admitedly, I'd of hung up if you used those lines and if memory serves correct I think I already have for the former.

      To go against the grain of the OP's suggestion too, people don't say they have heard all about something because they actually have. They say it to get rid of the saleperson so I'm not convinced that people will linger for an education on "what's new".

      I do accept it as a suitable ditch effort retort perhaps.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616410].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

        Admitedly, I'd of hung up if you used those lines and if memory serves correct I think I already have for the former.

        To go against the grain of the OP's suggestion too, people don't say they have heard all about something because they actually have. They say it to get rid of the saleperson so I'm not convinced that people will linger for an education on "what's new".

        I do accept it as a suitable ditch effort retort perhaps.
        Agreed, there are better things you can say... but the general idea is there. I would say "Oh so you already have a mobile site then (or whatever) ? Okay , the reason I asked is because".

        If you ask a quick question, then justify the reason you asked quickly, it kind of gives you a right of passage because it's natural ( in the minds of both parties) to explain the reason you asked... and most of the time you can at least get a few more lines out, if not get into your pitch.

        The moral behind this is that its easier to get a man to walk ten miles with you if you ask one mile at a time, if that makes any sense. It works in practice.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616430].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SashaLee
        Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post


        I do accept it as a suitable ditch effort retort perhaps.
        Hi there,

        And isn't the situation a last ditch effort anyway since you're already at the "non-interested" stage?

        It's far from being a "frustrated telemarketer" ploy as someone else pointed out if used in the correct manner, with the correct follow up script.

        Best

        Sasha
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SashaLee
    Hi there,

    laurencewins has a good point. If you they say "not interested" and you ask, "Not interested in what?", it resets the conversation.

    Best,

    Sasha.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7615050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    I've found that saying "not interested in what?" they will usually reply..

    "In whatever it is that you are selling"

    In my experience it just adds to the resistance and is seen as confrontational.
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7615786].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author harryharris
      In my experience this worked well.

      It's important to remember that a sales call should really be a conversation between two people with an interest in the subject at hand.

      Here's what I see working....

      It must be said with the utmost sincerity.

      "Mr Prospect...

      I understand your reaction, after all I have called you out of the blue -

      But I'm just curious - when you say you are not interested - is it because you
      are short on time now and would prefer to make an appointment to discuss
      it properly.

      Or is it you feel XYZ is too expensive? Have tried it before and had a bad experience with another company?

      I ask this because from what I can see / researched it would make sense
      for us to have a discussion around XYZ and how your business could utilize this to do ABC, hence my call today.

      But clearly, I don't have all the facts.

      Help me understand your situation better..."


      Hope this helps.

      Harry T
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616015].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      I've found that saying "not interested in what?" they will usually reply..

      "In whatever it is that you are selling"

      In my experience it just adds to the resistance and is seen as confrontational.
      Actually, having spent any considerable time on the phone, one would recognize both Sasha and Laurence answers to be ones typically used by frustrated telemarketers, which almost never lead to anything good, and which almost invariably result in confrontational energy and a quick hang up...

      Harry's answer?

      Sounds good on paper but you will never get that out in a million years, unless you are a highly exceptional talker, with just the right inflections, and have excellent meter. You only have a second to shift their energy. By the time you get halfway through that, they see you coming and are already thinking of another way to shut you down. ... slightly better than the first two answers, but still not very good.

      The best you can do is ask a very quick, upbeat, short, non confrontational question as helisel suggests to quickly shift their thinking process slightly, and then you have a fifty percent chance of following up with "The reason I asked is because..." and returning to your pitch.

      It may even be "Oh so you folks already have a website then? Okay, great. The reason I asked is because..." (return to pitching).

      The answers mentioned here are bad theory. You might say those things but I will guarantee and bet my tail you dont get past one in a hundred rejections with them...

      How do I know?

      Because I use to sit in a booth forty hours per week, and have monitored hundreds of telemarketers... Helisel seems to know the score.

      No offence but if you arent a phone pro, please dont give the newbies theoretical or bad advice.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616283].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author harryharris
        John,

        Worked for me and my sales reps / telemarketers.

        But thanks for your input and your experience, which is extensive.

        No doubt this thread will help the newbies find their voice and get past the rebuttal.

        Harry
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616358].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Durham
          Originally Posted by harryharris View Post

          John,

          Worked for me and my sales reps / telemarketers.

          But thanks for your input and your experience, which is extensive.

          No doubt this thread will help the newbies find their voice and get past the rebuttal.

          Harry
          It could work a low percentage of the time, if you are an exceptional caller... just not optimal advice for the average person.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616371].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author helisell
        Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

        ..............

        How do I know?

        Because I use to sit in a booth forty hours per week, and have monitored hundreds of telemarketers... Helisel seems to know the score......
        Like you John, I've monitored and mentored many hundreds of telemarketers (and door to door sales people) and listened in 'live' to thousands of conversations.

        I know that some of the posters here mean well with their advice but I agree 100% with you.

        Sometimes people post with something they may have read in a book or tried once (only once of course because you wouldn't try some of the stuff written here twice) and it is difficult for those who don't know the difference to figure out what works in the real world and what 'sounds like it should work'
        Signature

        Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
        Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

        Say This Instead

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Thanks Harry,

    My post was really referring more to those times when you were barely able to even get started with the prospect. A real quick short response that gets the thing moving again.
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616075].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author harryharris
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      Thanks Harry,

      My post was really referring more to those times when you were barely able to even get started with the prospect. A real quick short response that gets the thing moving again.
      No worries....understand.

      Not saying mine was better / worse etc - just something that worked for me as a sales rep / telemarketer /sales manager of sales reps and telemarketers.

      Thanks for starting the thread.

      H
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616331].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojo1
    Do you find this type of barrier thrown for any particular type of service more often than in others?

    While listening to Jason K's demo calls over at his website, I found the particular industry that he cold called into seemed to be more open to allowing him to have a productive, calm exchange without shutting him down. Unlike reaching out to businesses about web design, seo, etc.

    I talked to a very close friend who owns a successful educational games company who shared that she's bombarded with website calls weekly. So, perhaps on the one hand what Joe Q. biz owner has stated really is his experience though and the rebuttal solution you've provided would provide help in keeping the call going.

    Thanks for the tip.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616226].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post

      Do you find this type of barrier thrown for any particular type of service more often than in others?

      While listening to Jason K's demo calls over at his website, I found the particular industry that he cold called into seemed to be more open to allowing him to have a productive, calm exchange without shutting him down. Unlike reaching out to businesses about web design, seo, etc.

      I talked to a very close friend who owns a successful educational games company who shared that she's bombarded with website calls weekly. So, perhaps on the one hand what Joe Q. biz owner has stated really is his experience though and the rebuttal solution you've provided would provide help in keeping the call going.

      Thanks for the tip.
      The "barrier" is the knee-jerk reaction given by just about every prospect, who is (like us) afraid of getting ripped off.

      So they say that. Remember, they have lived this long without whatever it is that you offer.

      In the sample calls I provided, we are listening to early calls in the process. Remember from my free videos posted here on WF that 3/4 of the dials we make, on average, are unlikely to reach a decision maker today. Plus I call without needing to know the name of the prospect--I get it along the way. This is much quicker than time-wasting "research." So for those calls, I do not expect to reach the DM that time. I am getting the name and into their system.

      The callback is scheduled and maybe on the 2nd and more likely on the 3rd call attempt the selling can begin. This may sound like it takes awhile, but it is how you can deal with the reality of calling without getting frustrated and beating yourself up. So in a few days you reach the DM and they are open to talking with you.

      Do NOT talk about web design, SEO or other buzz words that people are extremely wary of. You jump to the solution too quickly. Find out what problem(s) they have that you can solve, first.

      I have a way of handling the "Not Interested" objection in a non-confrontational manner, but it's proprietary and part of my program. Also, you have to bear in mind that for some prospects it may simply not be the time for your offer to resonate, and you should try again in a couple months when their circumstances may have changed. That is a possible outcome and not "bad".

      The main problem people have with calling is that they start all desperate to make a sale right now. That's unlikely to happen and you end up beating yourself up about what you don't understand (why nobody seems to be available, why your script doesn't work, etc.), and quit--

      --but if you stuck with it a week, you'd see good results.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Sorry Daniel but you are mistaken.

    It's tried and tested in many thousands of cases.....and works like a dream.

    I didn't try to educate them with the response, I just asked have you heard the latest?
    If they are claiming to 'know all about it' , it is very difficult for them to not respond to whatever the 'latest' might be.
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616422].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      Sorry Daniel but you are mistaken.

      It's tried and tested in many thousands of cases.....and works like a dream.

      I didn't try to educate them with the response, I just asked have you heard the latest?
      If they are claiming to 'know all about it' , it is very difficult for them to not respond to whatever the 'latest' might be.
      I appreciate you have your own experience but for me personally it hasn't been hugely fruitful.

      As mentioned, I've found that when people claim to "know all about it", they actually don't know very much about it at all, aren't bothered and can't wait to get rid of the salesperson. I've known this to be true for others too.

      What's important to factor into this, is actually how interesting this "latest news" actually is and how appealling it might be to the customer. This of course will differ in every case.

      Perhaps then, my "latest" isn't as awesome as yours?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616486].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author helisell
        Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

        I appreciate you have your own experience but for me personally it hasn't been hugely fruitful.
        Sorry again Daniel....I didn't realise that you'd actually been using my response ;0)

        I know that they said 'I know all about it' just to get rid of me but...

        By saying it they have declared an interest in the subject and can't deny wanting to hear the latest...that's why it works so well.
        Signature

        Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
        Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

        Say This Instead

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616534].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Let me put it into perspective re mobile site for example.

    Yeah yeah we know all about it (mobile site)

    "It's interesting you say that....have you heard the latest?"
    or
    "It's interesting you say that....have you heard what they've just discovered?"
    or
    "It's interesting you say that...have you heard what they've done now?"
    or
    "It's interesting you say that...have you heard what's just happened at google?"
    or or or.....

    (note: they can't and don't say I don't care because they have declared their interest in the subject by claiming to know all about it)

    Well the reason I ask is because it looks like you've got yourself a mobile site already and the thing is blah blah blah...

    Here we are back in the conversation, barriers removed and moving towards a meaningful conversation.
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616464].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      or
      "It's interesting you say that...have you heard what's just happened at google?"
      or or or.....
      I took it that you were getting at a "concept", and I agree with that concept.

      I better get out guys before I piss people off.

      However, if you take the advice given it WILL work well for you.

      -John
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616480].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      (note: they can't and don't say I don't care because they have declared their interest in the subject by claiming to know all about it)
      In fairness, there is a difference between knowing about something and being interested in it...

      The statement can in many cases translate into "I know. I don't care".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616516].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

        In fairness, there is a difference between knowing about something and being interested in it...

        The statement can in many cases translate into "I know. I don't care".
        Thats exactly what I just typed then edited it.

        The general concept is there, the choice of words could be better. Some things will yield a positive result some of the time, but there are optimal ways off saying things that keep it flowing MORE of the time.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616525].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Well it's really interesting you say that Daniel....but have you heard what some really successful marketers have been using on the phone lately?
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Originally Posted by ptaylor98 View Post

    to keep the conversation flowing.
    --Phil Taylor
    Linkwithptaylor98: Home
    ........Precisely.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7616506].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    From my standpoint of selling offline marketing services/
    consulting - If the tone of the prospect is the same as a firm NO, move on.

    Not so firm of a tone, thank them for their time and MAYBE come
    back at another time if it is NOT going to harm your reputation.
    And, you think you want to help them.

    I don't see trying a turnaround - at that moment.

    Dan
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7622863].message }}
  • "I know all about that already! Literally, I knew all about OP's recommended URL!"

    LOL

    That's what almost all business owners try to do often. I really liked it. Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7625052].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by helisell View Post

    Happens? To You? Often?

    Next time someone says that then try this

    I know all about it

    It works really well to get the conversation going again.
    Brilliant post. And I see that this is a solid answer.
    I can't remember anyone ever saying to me "I already know all about it".

    But I might say "Finally! Someone who can help me! Could you answer a question about (whatever it is) before I go?"

    I have no idea if it would do any good. But my first reaction at the beginning of a sales call is to break their automated response. It's as if I grab them by the face and say "HEY!". It snaps them out of inertia.

    Someone that says "I'm not interested", I might say "I Know! That's why I called. Could I ask one question before you slam the receiver?"

    Why? To snap their mind out of whatever they were thinking. It may not work well on the phone, but it sure works well in person.

    But I have a real "I don't care" attitude that isn't just projected, It's real. So I'll risk these things to either further the sale or get them to hang up.

    As the presentation progresses, I have more invested, and am more careful to not rock the boat. But getting attention, to me, means interrupting their chain of thoughts...to insert my link.

    I did do this once;
    The guy I was calling said "I'm not interested". I said (in excruciating pain) "I know! I know! I hate cold calls too. But I needed to get a hold of you. Business owner to business owner, can I have 30 seconds before we decide we hate each other?"

    I swear, he laughed and said "Make it quick". Did he buy? No. But everything changed after he was out of his automated reaction...and thought of me as a human being. (at least that was my theory)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7634664].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      And I see that this is a solid answer.
      I can't remember anyone ever saying to me "I already know all about it".
      Same here, never once, but i have had ""I know about "something specific""
      meaning the usual knee jerk "go away"

      and i say something very close to what you said below

      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      But I might say "Finally! Someone who can help me! Could you answer a question about (whatever it is) before I go?"
      I say, "great" can you take a min and help me with with a question ( insert something )

      listen to them, say thank you, be a smidgen self deprecating.
      Then go in side ways, and show them how they are not "in the know"
      BUT you cant attack it head on, you will put them on the defensive...
      AND when you say thank you... you need to mean it.

      This works because people will almost always take a minute to show how you how
      superior they are and once they schooled you... they leave them selves open because
      of their smugness ( they want positive feed back .. a properly siad thank you is just that)
      AND with out them even realizing it, once you say thank you ... you bond.

      now they are usually open to a real conversation.

      just my 2 cents. also i should mention, i did not read the article
      although Claude, i am sure you already knew that.
      Signature

      Selling Ain't for Sissies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7637111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

    When I used to do telemarketing and got a canned "I'm not interested" response, I usually came back with.."You don't even know what I have to offer you"...and variations of the same thing.
    Occasionally if I was feeling bold I would say "so you're not interested in the winning lottery ticket?"
    Then I would've probably said, "Is this call about the winning lottery ticket?"
    And you might've replied with a variation of, "No, but..."

    And I would've hung up on you as you were speaking because you lied to me. You hinted this was somehow about offering me the winning lottery ticket but it wasn't.

    Actually, I would've hung up as soon as you identified yourself. I'm not as nice as my Avatar makes me seem.
    Signature
    "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7638027].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Miller
      It's important to understand at what point in the process the "not interested" response takes place.

      Is it at the very beginning of the call? I think that's the meaning that the op has in this thread.

      If so, it's time for you to hang up and dial the next number. If it's happening often, and by often I mean more than 2 times in any given calling session, you need to adjust your opening statement.
      Signature
      The big lesson in life, baby, is never be scared of anyone or anything.
      -- FRANK SINATRA, quoted in The Way You Wear Your Hat
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7638060].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Domestic gas and electricity and telecomms prospecting door to door....the commonest response is......dah dahhhhh

    Yeah yeah....we know all about it....not interested thanks (and the door starts to close)

    Very few responses work in this situation....but

    "It's interesting you say that have you heard the latest" (or ....."do you know what they've done now") is one of the only things that works. I've tried/tested and taught many others but this is the one that gets the best result.

    The thread has opened up a lot of very interesting avenues though hasn't it?
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7639185].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave147
    Yeah yeah....we know all about it....not interested thanks

    NOT INTERESTED! well you SHOULD BE! Listen to this.......
    or look at this.......

    That'll allow you to continue
    Signature

    How to Create Your Own Wealth and Success
    $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    To the hospital maybe......;0)
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641647].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dave147
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      To the hospital maybe......;0)
      lol
      Signature

      How to Create Your Own Wealth and Success
      $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641996].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics