Why You Shouldn't Ignore Long-Tail Clients (Small Business Owners) | SEOmoz
Here's an excerpt:
So, what can you do to serve business owners at this lower end of the market?
Here are just a few basic tasks that rookie or junior search professionals can perform without requiring any time investment by a senior employee:
- Improve Title Tags and H1 tags
- Submit citations (whether in-house or outsourced)
- Set up Google Alerts
- Set up a WordPress blog
- Provide editorial advice for weekly blog post topics and Facebook posts
- Control blog commenting on the business owner’s behalf
- Draft review solicitation emails on the business owner’s behalf
- Track the success of review solicitation campaigns via a spreadsheet
- Reach out to business and community organizations for locally-relevant links
- Create hyper-targeted Facebook ad campaigns under $50/month in total spend*
*In my opinion, Adwords has effectively killed its own small business market opportunity with the increasing number of "not enough search volume" long-tail keywords and ever-higher minimum bid levels.