Do you have your calendar handy?

10 replies
Just used that close to get an appt. The guy was hemming and hawing and I just stopped him cold. Thanks and RIP to Chet Holmes.
#calendar #handy
  • Profile picture of the author Mwind076
    The calendar thing is NORMALLY an excuse to put you off...as in, most business owners know darn well when they have time. Salesmen and executives are usually the ones with calendars that need to be looked at, MOST (not all) small/medium business owners don't need to check a calendar, it's a stall tactic, so good for you for calling it out!

    I also use this when I get the "I'm not sure I can meet, or call me back in 2 weeks to book a time for an appointment" - I say "look, I'll call you back, but I'd rather not call you back every 2 weeks to hear that you just need more time. If you aren't interested, then I have plenty more numbers to call, so you aren't hurting my feelings any...if you are interested, I don't want to drop the ball so lets set this up so we can both move forward and get something done. How is Tuesday?"

    That also weeds them out
    Signature

    Looking for answers on how to SUCCESSFULLY market your company?
    Cold Calling, Appointment Setting, Training, Consulting - we do it all!
    PM for more information

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7790255].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sherry Han
      That's fantastic, and it's one thing I need to learn to improve this year - not beat around the bush so much but rather just be upfront about getting that appointment, closing and getting the cash in hand.

      I wish business owners would do the same and just be upfront if they are not interested. That would save me a lot of time and hassles, but I do feel just a tad bit hypocritical saying that.

      Originally Posted by Mwind076 View Post

      The calendar thing is NORMALLY an excuse to put you off...as in, most business owners know darn well when they have time. Salesmen and executives are usually the ones with calendars that need to be looked at, MOST (not all) small/medium business owners don't need to check a calendar, it's a stall tactic, so good for you for calling it out!

      I also use this when I get the "I'm not sure I can meet, or call me back in 2 weeks to book a time for an appointment" - I say "look, I'll call you back, but I'd rather not call you back every 2 weeks to hear that you just need more time. If you aren't interested, then I have plenty more numbers to call, so you aren't hurting my feelings any...if you are interested, I don't want to drop the ball so lets set this up so we can both move forward and get something done. How is Tuesday?"

      That also weeds them out
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7795002].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mwind076
    I look at it this way...if I'm calling you back time after time after time, you are wasting my time that I could be calling someone else to replace you. It's also part of being an adult, just say what you want. If you don't want the appointment/product/service, then say so. I hear NI all day long!!!!! You aren't special or going to hurt my feelings any.

    I don't get paid to keep calling you so you can brush me off. You're in our out, either way, just let me know and we'll both be better off.
    Signature

    Looking for answers on how to SUCCESSFULLY market your company?
    Cold Calling, Appointment Setting, Training, Consulting - we do it all!
    PM for more information

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7795468].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

    Just used that close to get an appt. The guy was hemming and hawing and I just stopped him cold. Thanks and RIP to Chet Holmes.
    This will work fine as long as the prospect has acknowledged a legitimate problem or symptom of a problem for the two of you to meet and talk about.

    Asking for appointments without an acknowledged "pain" or reason to meet will result in no-shows and other problems much of the time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7795837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      Asking for appointments without an acknowledged "pain" or reason to meet will result in no-shows and other problems much of the time.
      Note to self: Make sure you have a reason to meet before asking for a meeting. :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7795896].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
        Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

        Note to self: Make sure you have a reason to meet before asking for a meeting. :rolleyes:
        Well actually what Jason is saying is not a simple as just asking for a meeting and getting them to say ok, so guess thats why it was so easily dismissed.

        I get calls all the time from people that say stuff like, "This is Quarnisha from Main Street Bank, I would like to stop by and show you some of the products we offer" or "This is BillyBob, can I stop by tomorrow to show you some great ways to advertise your business."

        Many times they will get a yes from people who may not be all that busy or are just curious. They are not necessarily motivated or qualified and
        probably didnt even write down that this sales rep is coming.

        Every once in a while a sale can be had but usually these weak appointments either turn into a loss of time and gas money or they get seen and then get lost into the wasteland that is known as Callback City.
        Signature
        Promise Big.
        Deliver Bigger.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7795948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Green Moon
    That question works for getting a meeting in all types of sales, but as some of the others above have said, you need to make sure that the buyer is qualified and that you have a reason to have the meeting. Otherwise, you are just wasting your own time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7798647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Good job Paul, classic move. You did the right thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7799422].message }}
  • But what is calendar handy?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7800655].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by peoplesinnovation View Post

      But what is calendar handy?
      Its when you begin assuming a close on an appointment...instead of asking for it.

      A: "...so Bob thats why I called... do you want me to come out an visit you?"

      Thats an open ended, non assumptive question, you arent really directing the customer. It could go anywhere. They can say "No".

      B: "..so Bob, thats why I called today, have you got a calender handy? It looks like I have either Monday at 2:00 open, or 3:00 on Tuesday, which one of those times would be best for me to come by".

      Thats an "assumptive" question. It isnt open ended. It requires a specific answer.

      Instead of wondering whether he wants it or not, the prospects mind is on which time works best for him.

      So thats the ole "Got your calender handy?" Technique in an nutshell.

      It's a way to assumptively close on an appointment.

      -John
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7800866].message }}

Trending Topics