Reputation management vs Web Design? Which has more demand?

12 replies
I'm a web designer but lately I have found it really hard to get clients. Most clients don't want to pay more than $1000 for a professionally designed site and there are tons of amateur designers willing to produce crappy sites for $99 or even less and clients are leaning toward these (Most clients can't tell the difference between a high quality professional site and an amateurish)

I was thinking of starting a reputation management business. Do you think this service really has a demand?
#demand #design #management #reputation #web
  • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
    I was just perusing some local business listings the other day and was amazed at how many negative reviews I saw. There is definitely a need. Not sure about demand though as I haven't pursued it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7843935].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronr
    Every service you offer has it's challenges and opportunities. Reputation management is no different.

    Haven't tested this a great deal but awhile back when I was actively doing offline marketing it surprised me when I contacted businesses or dentists about their terrible reviews that they didn't care. They had the attitude that their business was doing ok so why do anything about it.

    Originally Posted by Newrichgraphics View Post

    I'm a web designer but lately I have found it really hard to get clients. Most clients don't want to pay more than $1000 for a professionally designed site and there are tons of amateur designers willing to produce crappy sites for $99 or even less and clients are leaning toward these (Most clients can't tell the difference between a high quality professional site and an amateurish)

    I was thinking of starting a reputation management business. Do you think this service really has a demand?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7846327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
      Originally Posted by ronr View Post

      They had the attitude that their business was doing ok so why do anything about it.
      That's understandable. It all comes down to priorities and ROI. Any smart business owner is going to ask themselves how many prospective clients might see the reviews and how many of those might they lose because of it. Plus, everyone knows that you can't make everyone happy...even if you are the best in your market. And then the question is do they have bigger fish to fry? (ie whats their top priority right now).

      And that's why its so important to not only find out what the business owners biggest challenge is but to have solutions for a wide range of problems.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7846429].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CudaFish
        Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

        That's understandable. It all comes down to priorities and ROI. Any smart business owner is going to ask themselves how many prospective clients might see the reviews and how many of those might they lose because of it. Plus, everyone knows that you can't make everyone happy...even if you are the best in your market. And then the question is do they have bigger fish to fry? (ie whats their top priority right now).

        And that's why its so important to not only find out what the business owners biggest challenge is but to have solutions for a wide range of problems.
        On the other hand though, you DO find business owners that will flip out when they hear about their reputation. I have a story about a restaurant my wife and I went to where that exact thing happen. It's a long story and I'm gonna have it up on my blog soon but basically, the owner finished MY sentence when I brought it up to him, before I could even say what I was talking about.

        Easy business.

        - Mark aka CudaFish
        Signature
        cudafish.com | marketing | design | work / life balance
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7857942].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
          Originally Posted by CudaFish View Post

          On the other hand though, you DO find business owners that will flip out when they hear about their reputation. I have a story about a restaurant my wife and I went to where that exact thing happen. It's a long story and I'm gonna have it up on my blog soon but basically, the owner finished MY sentence when I brought it up to him, before I could even say what I was talking about.

          Easy business.
          Love to hear those stories. Thanks for sharing.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7857992].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CudaFish
            Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

            Love to hear those stories. Thanks for sharing.
            Of course! I know it's cliche to say, but despite all the garbage that you find around here, Warrior Forum has actually served me VERY well, and I love sharing successes I have with the Warriors!

            - Mark
            Signature
            cudafish.com | marketing | design | work / life balance
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7858100].message }}
        • VERY true.
          Signature

          Curtis Mitchell Rasmussen -- 469-879-9615
          www.richadpoorad.com
          www.myprofitfaucet.com
          What I create/write: Hot Buttons, Headlines, Case Points, Innovative Positioning--just the important stuff!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7858196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Arzak
    Web design has more demand... most people aren't aware of reputation management. Inform people the significance and create demand.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7846422].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Newrichgraphics View Post

    I'm a web designer but lately I have found it really hard to get clients. Most clients don't want to pay more than $1000 for a professionally designed site and there are tons of amateur designers willing to produce crappy sites for $99 or even less and clients are leaning toward these (Most clients can't tell the difference between a high quality professional site and an amateurish)

    I was thinking of starting a reputation management business. Do you think this service really has a demand?
    I hope this reply is okay with you... I didn't directly answer your question, but want to take you back to your core business... websites.

    Success in either of the business categories will ALWAYS come down to (among other things) the following:

    Your innovation/quality, Your positioning, your headlines and your making the "can't tell until it's too late" OBVIOUS. The only reason the $99/elance crowd is winning is because the DECISION MAKERS and/or INFLUENCERS can't tell who is comparatively:

    Better, Different or Worse Than any of the others.

    I suggest you start using "harm" based marketing with your traditional website prospects. They'll also work with RepMgmt types of offers, too.

    These are the kinds of headlines I'd suggest:

    "Thinking of buying one of the $99 websites? Not after you watch this you won't!" (Then show them a point by point, side by side comparison now and over time... theirs vs yours. If what you're saying is true then you have websites that will knock these other guys DEAD.

    "Three Mistakes Website Buying Executives Make and How To Save Yourself $100,000 By Learning and Avoiding Them!" (Then argue that a good website, when done right, makes money, but a bad one not only doesn't make money, but it discourages the growth of the business across the board...)

    "What's the difference between THEIR $299 cookie-cutter website and our $2900 all-in-one, custom-designed, lead-driving, lead-converting, wow-shock-and-awe, irresistible, SEO-Optimized, sexy and pre-eminent website?" (Look if $2900 scares them off you don't want them; they're PRICE SHOPPERS [48% of the total out there]... expand your funnel by casting a wider net to get more potential prospects to SEE this message. Too few prospects and you're probably not able to scale your price up to attract the Elite and Educate-able prospects!)

    "Why Our Websites Cost 25 Times The Going Rate... And Why They're WORTH Every Penny!"

    "$99 Websites! 3 Reasons Why Their Short-Term Popularity Is About To Come To A Disastrous End!"

    "Our Websites Will Bring In 10 Times The Leads and 3 Times The Revenue Than Any $99 Website Can--In a Million Years!"

    "Our superior websites vs their $99 cookie-cutter websites? Buy the best and cry only once!"

    "Three Places You Should Never Cut Corners: Brain Surgery, Plastic Surgery and Traffic Driving Websites!"

    You also said, "...Most clients can't tell the difference between a high quality professional site and an amateurish."

    Well, SHOW Them. Demonstrate the short-and long-term difference! You can't just SAY you're better you have to PROVE your better. Remember your proposition is no different than being in a courtroom:

    1. You're the Attorney
    2. Your prospects are the jury
    3. Your product or service is on trial

    Do you think that Johnny Cochran could have won his case for OJ Simpson without Blood Spatter Experts, Hand/Glove Experts, Shoe Sole Experts?

    Nope.
    Signature

    Curtis Mitchell Rasmussen -- 469-879-9615
    www.richadpoorad.com
    www.myprofitfaucet.com
    What I create/write: Hot Buttons, Headlines, Case Points, Innovative Positioning--just the important stuff!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7858160].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sodomojo
      Originally Posted by Curtis Mitchell Rasmussen View Post

      I hope this reply is okay with you... I didn't directly answer your question, but want to take you back to your core business... websites.

      Success in either of the business categories will ALWAYS come down to (among other things) the following:

      Your innovation/quality, Your positioning, your headlines and your making the "can't tell until it's too late" OBVIOUS. The only reason the $99/elance crowd is winning is because the DECISION MAKERS and/or INFLUENCERS can't tell who is comparatively:

      Better, Different or Worse Than any of the others.

      I suggest you start using "harm" based marketing with your traditional website prospects. They'll also work with RepMgmt types of offers, too.

      These are the kinds of headlines I'd suggest:

      "Thinking of buying one of the $99 websites? Not after you watch this you won't!" (Then show them a point by point, side by side comparison now and over time... theirs vs yours. If what you're saying is true then you have websites that will knock these other guys DEAD.

      "Three Mistakes Website Buying Executives Make and How To Save Yourself $100,000 By Learning and Avoiding Them!" (Then argue that a good website, when done right, makes money, but a bad one not only doesn't make money, but it discourages the growth of the business across the board...)

      "What's the difference between THEIR $299 cookie-cutter website and our $2900 all-in-one, custom-designed, lead-driving, lead-converting, wow-shock-and-awe, irresistible, SEO-Optimized, sexy and pre-eminent website?" (Look if $2900 scares them off you don't want them; they're PRICE SHOPPERS [48% of the total out there]... expand your funnel by casting a wider net to get more potential prospects to SEE this message. Too few prospects and you're probably not able to scale your price up to attract the Elite and Educate-able prospects!)

      "Why Our Websites Cost 25 Times The Going Rate... And Why They're WORTH Every Penny!"

      "$99 Websites! 3 Reasons Why Their Short-Term Popularity Is About To Come To A Disastrous End!"

      "Our Websites Will Bring In 10 Times The Leads and 3 Times The Revenue Than Any $99 Website Can--In a Million Years!"

      "Our superior websites vs their $99 cookie-cutter websites? Buy the best and cry only once!"

      "Three Places You Should Never Cut Corners: Brain Surgery, Plastic Surgery and Traffic Driving Websites!"

      You also said, "...Most clients can't tell the difference between a high quality professional site and an amateurish."

      Well, SHOW Them. Demonstrate the short-and long-term difference! You can't just SAY you're better you have to PROVE your better. Remember your proposition is no different than being in a courtroom:

      1. You're the Attorney
      2. Your prospects are the jury
      3. Your product or service is on trial

      Do you think that Johnny Cochran could have won his case for OJ Simpson without Blood Spatter Experts, Hand/Glove Experts, Shoe Sole Experts?

      Nope.
      Thanks for sharing this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7861822].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Newrichgraphics View Post

    I'm a web designer but lately I have found it really hard to get clients. Most clients don't want to pay more than $1000 for a professionally designed site and there are tons of amateur designers willing to produce crappy sites for $99 or even less and clients are leaning toward these (Most clients can't tell the difference between a high quality professional site and an amateurish)

    I was thinking of starting a reputation management business. Do you think this service really has a demand?
    I don't know if this is allowable, but I'd be happy to give you 30 minutes of my time to discuss this. I just finished a 68 document reputation management campaign last November.

    I'm in the States and my Skype address is: Curtis.Mitchell.Rasmussen (no dot at the end).
    Signature

    Curtis Mitchell Rasmussen -- 469-879-9615
    www.richadpoorad.com
    www.myprofitfaucet.com
    What I create/write: Hot Buttons, Headlines, Case Points, Innovative Positioning--just the important stuff!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7858216].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    Ask yourself which of the two will always be of concern to the owner as long as they are in business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7861579].message }}

Trending Topics