Video of Door to Door Salesman That Got Me to Buy Through Youtube

by RyanJ
28 replies
Just found this video of a very funny D2D salesman that has a very unique way of selling his product.


#buy #door #salesman #video #youtube
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    Yeah he is a character.
    I think he passed away...
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7923785].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Sorry Ryan. There was another thread dedicated to this video, just a month ago or so.

      By the way, because I watched your video, again, I went to Youtube and watched this one.

      It reminds me that we have gifts. And that one of the saddest things is that we die with the music still in us. Enjoy.

      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7923824].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        I've watched the Paul Potts audition many times! I watch a lot of the auditions over and over, they are SO inspiring!

        Here's one of my favorites!

        STACY FRANCIS AUDITION - YouTube

        The take away is never give up on your dreams and be very CAREFUL who you share your dreams with along the way.

        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Sorry Ryan. There was another thread dedicated to this video, just a month ago or so.

        By the way, because I watched your video, again, I went to Youtube and watched this one.

        It reminds me that we have gifts. And that one of the saddest things is that we die with the music still in us. Enjoy.

        Phone Salesman Amazes Crowd - YouTube
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7924861].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

          I've watched the Paul Potts audition many times! I watch a lot of the auditions over and over, they are SO inspiring!

          Here's one of my favorites!

          STACY FRANCIS AUDITION - YouTube

          The take away is never give up on your dreams and be very CAREFUL who you share your dreams with along the way.
          Wow. Now That's performing!
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7928384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oneonesip
    when look this video, feel not need internet marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7923860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RyanJ
    Sorry for the repost I searched but didn't find anything.

    Too bad he passed away. I wondered why he only had two videos on YouTube.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7923999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author daxtrader
      I don't think he passed away. I read somewhere online that the journalist who wrote the article of the murder of a Kenny Brooks later said that it is not the same youtube sensation Kenny Brooks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7924072].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MartinBuckley
    Thanks for posting this video it was very funny and well worth watching.

    I for one would have bought his product just for how good a job he does in selling and from the entertainment he brings to the door

    All the best,

    Martin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7931801].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zachary0611
    I love that guy great idea. Where can I contact him? I need him to sell websites for me.
    Signature
    Professional Web Designers www.WebDesignBros.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7932753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    I have to disagree with everyone on this guy. This isn't selling. It's hawking, like at a carnival. It's "bamboozle 'em with BS." He could be 'selling' anything at all. His product hardly matters. This kind of thing is good for tradeshows or public exhibitions where you want to steer the crowd to your booth.

    Luckily for him in this case he does have a product that seems to work. But buying out of sympathy or empathy for the salesperson is a pretty lousy reason to buy. We've all done it. I bought some Cutco knives from a friend out of sympathy. But it's not selling.

    Every time I see this vid posted, I think, "Oh gosh, now even MORE people are going to think this is what selling is like." And my stomach turns. No, it's not. Try this stuff over the phone or in person with business owners and see just how far you get. Zachary, if you really think this guy will sell websites for you, try out this kind of patter and watch what happens.

    Yes, he is attention-getting, but then again so is a gorilla in a jock strap.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post


      Yes, he is attention-getting, but then again so is a gorilla in a jock strap.

      If that gorilla in a jock strap can get people to buy then so be it.




      Dont hate the player hate the game.
      Signature
      Promise Big.
      Deliver Bigger.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933861].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
        Originally Posted by Eddie Spangler View Post

        If that gorilla in a jock strap can get people to buy then so be it.

        Dont hate the player hate the game.
        It's not selling, Eddie. And the gorilla can't--it just gets people's attention for a short while.

        If you guys like this junk, then you're welcome to it. But it's not selling to me, and it's not effective for anything more than cheap consumer products.

        Would you buy a fridge from someone who "sells" like this? A computer? A house?

        If people see this and think "Wow, this is what sales is like?" and are turned off forever because of it, then that's a Fail. This is NOT what professional selling looks or sounds like. And I want people to know that.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933889].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mrjosco
          Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

          It's not selling, Eddie. And the gorilla can't--it just gets people's attention for a short while.

          If you guys like this junk, then you're welcome to it. But it's not selling to me, and it's not effective for anything more than cheap consumer products.

          Would you buy a fridge from someone who "sells" like this? A computer? A house?

          If people see this and think "Wow, this is what sales is like?" and are turned off forever because of it, then that's a Fail. This is NOT what professional selling looks or sounds like. And I want people to know that.
          He offered a product on a cold call. They bought. He sold the product.

          Selling a product is selling. If a product was sold, then it is selling. I don't even see how that is an argument.

          Is he selling in a style that you would use? No. Is he selling a way that would work for a consumer of your tastes? No.

          Do you represent all selling styles and all consumer preferences? No.

          Will your style sell to all consumer types? No.

          You are suffering from the same syndrome many on warrior forum - especially the 'experts' suffer from. That is the syndrome that believes, "that isn't the way I do it, therefore it is the wrong way."

          It is a terrible and crippling syndrome that leads to stupid comments (such as saying someone who sold something isn't selling), bad advice and a short shortsightedness that might come back and kick you in the butt in your own business.

          The cure is an open mind and the willingness to accept that your way might be a right way - but it is not the ONLY right way.
          Signature

          Vintage and Retro Shirts from Vinretro

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7935819].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author abbot
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

          It's not selling, Eddie. And the gorilla can't--it just gets people's attention for a short while.

          If you guys like this junk, then you're welcome to it. But it's not selling to me, and it's not effective for anything more than cheap consumer products.

          Would you buy a fridge from someone who "sells" like this? A computer? A house?

          If people see this and think "Wow, this is what sales is like?" and are turned off forever because of it, then that's a Fail. This is NOT what professional selling looks or sounds like. And I want people to know that.
          It's not all about being 'perfect'. He's unique, consumers like that. Uniqueness is what separates small businesses from multi million dollar businesses that were once an idea.

          The fact of the matter is; money is money, sales are sales. Do you think employers give a shit HOW you're selling? No...they care about your numbers. Watch car salesmen once. The best salesmen make their own rules, have their own style.

          Obviously everyone has different views. But to me...there are no rules in selling. It's free game.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7935933].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author depp12
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      I have to disagree with everyone on this guy. This isn't selling. It's hawking, like at a carnival. It's "bamboozle 'em with BS." He could be 'selling' anything at all. His product hardly matters. This kind of thing is good for tradeshows or public exhibitions where you want to steer the crowd to your booth.

      Luckily for him in this case he does have a product that seems to work. But buying out of sympathy or empathy for the salesperson is a pretty lousy reason to buy. We've all done it. I bought some Cutco knives from a friend out of sympathy. But it's not selling.

      Every time I see this vid posted, I think, "Oh gosh, now even MORE people are going to think this is what selling is like." And my stomach turns. No, it's not. Try this stuff over the phone or in person with business owners and see just how far you get. Zachary, if you really think this guy will sell websites for you, try out this kind of patter and watch what happens.

      Yes, he is attention-getting, but then again so is a gorilla in a jock strap.
      I am shocked to hear these comments coming from someone that sells sales products.

      You must not come from a true sales background with these comments and without even acknowledging some of the most basic of techniques he is using:

      This is door to door not selling websites.

      He is selling a cleaning product, a solution, and he is doing what works for him in order to sell it.

      1. He sells himself straight away.
      2. He uses humour to sell his products(obviously this does not work when selling to companies but i am sure someone like him could adapt if needed.)
      2. He is building relationships with a potential customer by using humour and making jokes.The customer is laughing along and seems to enjoy it too by standing alongside him.
      3. He is showing and using his neighbours as buying examples. Creating that "people are buying my product because it works syndrome". "i must get it too"
      4. He using everyday examples in the prospects home to demonstrate his product, the window, the floor, the door knocker.Selling features and benefits. another key sales tactic.
      5.He easily overcomes the prospects question on price and does not make a big deal about it.
      6. He gets the product into the prospects hands early on in the selling cycle. This is a key task in this type of selling.
      7. He also , instead of reducing the price he throws something in for free. Another common sales tactic.
      8. He closes the sale.

      This guy is a good salesman and uses humour to sell his products. This will not work for everyone and it wont work when selling to companies. But it works when selling door to door and crowd selling.

      He also appears very enthuastic and motivates. Well dressed, diary, pen, product samples. He reads tony robbins and studies his trade.

      The first part in selling any product is to sell yourself first and this guy does it well.

      Well done.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933947].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
        Enthusiasm doesn't sell. It makes people close off and back away.

        Humor is not a good idea in most sales situations. Misuse of it can turn off prospects instantly.

        Making jokes and quipping one-liners is not building rapport.

        If you're concerned about appearance, ie. wondering if the salesperson is dressed well enough, you're not surrounded by the right people.

        Features & benefits don't sell: solving a problem does.

        Good luck with your version of selling, and thank you for helping differentiate what I and my students do from this...which will get you no further than selling magazines. Try what he does over the phone and see what happens to you. Try to sell an appliance like this and see what happens to you. Talk to the president of a $100 Million company this way and see what happens to you.

        We are in two very different leagues.


        Originally Posted by depp12 View Post

        I am shocked to hear these comments coming from someone that sells sales products.

        You must not come from a true sales background with these comments and without even acknowledging some of the most basic of techniques he is using:

        This is door to door not selling websites.

        He is selling a cleaning product, a solution, and he is doing what works for him in order to sell it.

        1. He sells himself straight away.
        2. He uses humour to sell his products(obviously this does not work when selling to companies but i am sure someone like him could adapt if needed.)
        2. He is building relationships with a potential customer by using humour and making jokes.The customer is laughing along and seems to enjoy it too by standing alongside him.
        3. He is showing and using his neighbours as buying examples. Creating that "people are buying my product because it works syndrome". "i must get it too"
        4. He using everyday examples in the prospects home to demonstrate his product, the window, the floor, the door knocker.Selling features and benefits. another key sales tactic.
        5.He easily overcomes the prospects question on price and does not make a big deal about it.
        6. He gets the product into the prospects hands early on in the selling cycle. This is a key task in this type of selling.
        7. He also , instead of reducing the price he throws something in for free. Another common sales tactic.
        8. He closes the sale.

        This guy is a good salesman and uses humour to sell his products. This will not work for everyone and it wont work when selling to companies. But it works when selling door to door and crowd selling.

        He also appears very enthuastic and motivates. Well dressed, diary, pen, product samples. He reads tony robbins and studies his trade.

        The first part in selling any product is to sell yourself first and this guy does it well.

        Well done.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7933967].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
          Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

          Enthusiasm doesn't sell. It makes people close off and back away.

          Looks like they gave him money

          Humor is not a good idea in most sales situations. Misuse of it can turn off prospects instantly.

          They dont look turned off to me

          Making jokes and quipping one-liners is not building rapport.

          If you're concerned about appearance, ie. wondering if the salesperson is dressed well enough, you're not surrounded by the right people.

          Features & benefits don't sell: solving a problem does.

          Their stuff is dirty and this cleans it

          Good luck with your version of selling, and thank you for helping differentiate what I and my students do from this...which will get you no further than selling magazines. Try what he does over the phone and see what happens to you. Try to sell an appliance like this and see what happens to you. Talk to the president of a $100 Million company this way and see what happens to you.

          This is a great style for someone selling those type of products. No one said Kenny is training people on high end corporate sales.
          No one is saying to sell websites this way.

          We are in two very different leagues.

          Dude what is with the elitist BS that you are spewing?

          I get that you dont like this type of selling but just because you sell a high end product that requires a different approach doesnt mean that what he is doing is wrong, especially if he has a product that works.

          Not everyone needs to sell by "your book" to be successful..
          Signature
          Promise Big.
          Deliver Bigger.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7934062].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author depp12
          Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

          We are in two very different leagues.

          I am not sure what your reading here.

          I said he was selling a solution at the beginning of my reply.

          I said humour was working for him in this sales instance. The prospects are clearly enoying it i mentioned.

          I also said that this type of selling would not work when selling to a business.

          I also never mentioned using this sales process to sell to a president of a 100 million company.

          I also did not mention anything about selling over a phone either.

          Not sure where you were getting all that stuff from so yes I guess we are in two different leagues as you say.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7934104].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author depp12
          Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post


          Enthusiasm doesn't sell. It makes people close off and back away.
          This is so wrong and a load of nonsense.

          If your not showing enthusiasm about the product your selling how do you expect a potential customer to be enthusiastic about buying from you.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7934130].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Guys; This is another example of two or three people that think 99% the same way, but are miss-reading each other.

            I've read the exchange a few time now. I don't know any of you, but;

            I sold door to door for over 30 years. You could say I'm an expert.

            Everything Jason said is true. Nearly everything Depp12 said is true too. (and the one or two things I don't agree with...are just points of view, not facts)

            The kid is talented, gets attention, and his patter is entertaining. He does give a few benefits. He is really selling. meaning he will make sales of his cleaner.

            But anything more than an impulse item? No. He is fun to watch. I would probably buy a bottle from him (If I didn't already sell the same stuff in my store). But that approach would be ineffective selling anything for more than $100. And selling something for $1,000 or more, his approach would be a sales killer. That doesn't mean he couldn't sell. But his approach would have to change.

            His approach works because his patter is so rapid fire and amusing that you have no time to build sales resistance. Toward the end he gives real reasons to buy, and there is some real technique.

            Jason is right. He sounds like someone at a fair selling Ginsu knives. Which, in my opinion is still very skillful selling. But non-experts watching him sell get the entirely wrong opinion about what real selling is.

            All most see is a very fast talking, practiced, patter that they mistake for what selling really is. And that's a mistake.

            Why you guys (meaning everyone on the planet) want to find dis-agreement, where almost nothing said is contradictory, is beyond me.


            For example; "Enthusiasm sells". Not really. Rabid enthusiasm sets up barriers to buying, and turns off buyers, because you being excited...and them not being excited ...is a mismatch. But...Internal enthusiasm is a must.

            Belief in your proposition will show in thousands of nonverbal cues that will be picked up by the buyer. Real belief in your idea is very hard to fake. Women are better at picking this up than men.

            Being negative and bland is bad. Being loud and hyper is bad. Because both miss how the prospect is feeling.

            So it's a matter of what you mean by "Enthusiasm".

            In a few days, we'll be meeting each other, and share a drink. Till then.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7934286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    I actually totally get where Jason is coming from, Im just giving him a hard time because the way it was presented just reminded me of what someone would say to a person they were trying to dismiss and put down because that person didnt conform to what the 1st persons "ideal" way of doing things are.
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7934531].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Eddie Spangler View Post

      I actually totally get where Jason is coming from, Im just giving him a hard time because the way it was presented just reminded me of what someone would say to a person they were trying to dismiss and put down because that person didnt conform to what the 1st persons "ideal" way of doing things are.
      I understand. And I have a problem, in person, not sounding elitist. My wife can always tell when I think a question is stupid, or when I think the person is a rank beginner.

      That isn't the situation in this thread. But it's something I continue to work on.

      By the way, one of the best pitchmen I ever saw sold $500 juicers in a mall.
      Every 25 minutes he sold between two and five. It was a marvel to behold.
      And he was making some serious money. He had a few jokes, but it was almost solid product demonstration. And he had great answers to the crowd's questions (one in the crowd at least was a plant).

      I talked to him briefly at a break. I really expected him to be a master craftsman in selling. But it was a company script, although masterly delivered, and he had a limited understanding of how it all worked.

      A few years later I sold $600 air purifiers in a mall booth, at Christmas. In one 8 hour shift, I sold 17. Very little joking (although that's really the way I like to be). The guy that owned the booth had lots of attention getting electronic gadgets. I turned them all off because they were attracting people who were non-prospects, but just liked shiny objects. My selling just looked like conversation, but believe me there was only one purpose to it.

      I seriously considered just selling these air purifiers full time at malls, trade shows, fairs, and rented floor space in high traffic stores. I was buying them for $78 from China, 100 at a time, and selling them for $599.

      But it would have involved being away from my family far too much. And an 8 hour shift of just pitching is like running a marathon.

      But a street pitchman, selling slicer dicers for $20? These guys are my heroes.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7934891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zachary0611
    A while back I worked at a furniture store and this older saleswoman told me that her customers could buy furniture anywhere, but they buy from her because they like her. He should have laid off a little bit, but he got the sale.
    Signature
    Professional Web Designers www.WebDesignBros.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7934987].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by zachary0611 View Post

      A while back I worked at a furniture store and this older saleswoman told me that her customers could buy furniture anywhere, but they buy from her because they like her. He should have laid off a little bit, but he got the sale.
      Being liked is useful, and makes selling more fun. But being trusted and believed is the real currency in selling.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7935221].message }}
    • I can see what Jason & Claude are saying for sure. I agree this approach wouldn't work for offline marketing. I still liked watching Kenny & I would definitely buy from him because he's hilarious & his product looks like it works great!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7935581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zachary0611
    You are more of a sales expert than me, but its hard for me to like someone I don't trust. Do you know of any videos like this where I can see what you are talking about? My mom bought some jewelry worth more than my car she obviously had to believe that what she was buying was real, but she liked talking to the sales lady about things that don't even have to do with jewelry. Chick-fil-A is kicking everybody's butt in the fast food market by great customer service. Compare them to Wendy's and Burger King where the employees look like they don't even want to be there. I think you may be talking more about business to business sales where a business owner responds more to results than feel good emotions. I am here to learn so please enlighten me.
    Signature
    Professional Web Designers www.WebDesignBros.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7935272].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by zachary0611 View Post

      You are more of a sales expert than me, but its hard for me to like someone I don't trust. Do you know of any videos like this where I can see what you are talking about?
      Liking someone is different from trusting them. And trusting them is different from them having Authority (in the prospect's eyes). But they are all supported by each other.

      You need to read a book.

      Persuasion by Cialdini. The answer to your question would take days to deliver, so that you would completely understand. But reading Persuasion would be a giant step in the right direction.

      And, if I may be so elitist, reading my posts in this Forum as well as those of Ken Michaels, John Durham, Jason Kanigan, Bob Ross, and several other seasoned salespeople would also help.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7935340].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author enterpryzman
    The guy has talent for door-to-door and infomercials but that is it in my opinion. I LOVE to watch others sell and will sometimes buy just because I like their pitch. I would have most likely told this guy to leave my house within 30 seconds.

    Thanks for sharing it, Enterpryzman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7935298].message }}

Trending Topics