Stop Writing Project Proposals!

7 replies
Found an interesting article. Here is the link: Stop Writing Project Proposals | Smashing Magazine

(NOTE: I am not affiliated with this website)
#project #proposals #stop #writing
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    The right time to put a proposal together is AFTER you and your prospect have fully agreed on the scope of work and the price. But when do most people do it? BEFORE.

    No! Bad salesperson!

    By submitting a proposal without the prospect knowing what's in it, all you are doing is giving fuel to the fire for them to collect and line up a bunch of proposals from different providers...compare and contrast...and now start using them as negotiating tools.

    Niiiice.

    A proposal should be a mere formality; a write-up of what we already agreed upon to move forward with. The final step in the sales process.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7969102].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      A proposal should be a mere formality; a write-up of what we already agreed upon to move forward with. The final step in the sales process.
      Wish everyone would understand this. Mockups and proposals are at the end of the process. You have either closed them or are nearly closed by the time you get there.

      For some big companies and big deals you may do proposals and mockups earlier but that is based on the prospect's request and it is up to your company to decide rather said account is worth being one of _____ number of companies submitting proposals.

      I'm not a big fan of large projects and that kind of "bidding" a project out myself.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7969196].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
        Originally Posted by Aaron Doud View Post

        For some big companies and big deals you may do proposals and mockups earlier but that is based on the prospect's request and it is up to your company to decide rather said account is worth being one of _____ number of companies submitting proposals.
        True. Another alternative: consider WHO is asking you to jump through those hoops at the big companies. Probably a follow-the-rules purchaser, right?

        What if you could circumvent that requirement entirely? I'm not saying it's going to happen all the time, but what would happen if you could get access to the real decision makers--instead of those who are making the recommendation to the DMs--and have a discussion with them about what they really need?

        I'll bet what they really need isn't a bunch of dogs who jump through hoops. I'll bet what they really need is a solution to their problem...yesterday.

        And the real DMs have the power to ignore the budget, change the plan, reallocate resources...without having to ask permission.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7969278].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RyanLester
          Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

          And the real DMs have the power to ignore the budget, change the plan, reallocate resources...without having to ask permission.
          POWERFUL STATEMENT.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7969285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author C3
    Good article, thanks

    Originally Posted by RyanLester View Post

    Found an interesting article. Here is the link: Stop Writing Project Proposals | Smashing Magazine
    Signature
    Caz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7970295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author merkado
    Nice article but still thinking if the strategy can be included on our marketing plan :-)
    Signature
    ROC.PH offers Affiliate Marketing Program Management
    Skype: rukawa1990 l US Phone: +1 (516) 9261626 l PH Phone: +63 (919) 8444311
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7970981].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RimaNaj2011
      Like someone mentioned, the proposal is just a formality. It's the paperwork that you drop by and get signed quickly.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7971024].message }}

Trending Topics