@Claude Whitacre : Reading Your Books and A Question...

11 replies
Claude, been reading through your 'The Unfair Advantage for Small Business Advertising' and it kind of struck me...

Why aren't most websites created in the same way as effective ads?

I design all my sites using a similar formula...a nice rotating image slider, a contact number, business name etc.

But I don't use big headlines that make a great offer.

I don't use effective ad copy.

And you know what, neither do 95% of competitors.

So the big question...do you think it would be worth going back and doing a complete makeover to these landing pages to fit these advertising parameters? I feel stupid for not doing it right in the first place.

Then again, maybe it's a different story for websites VS ads? I'm not sure...I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.
#@claude #books #question #reading #whitacre
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    Some pages are.

    It depends on what the purpose of the page is. In fact many pages especially in the IM niche are just long form sales letters turned into web pages.

    Testing and more testing is always the best way to get the most conversions. So why not make a new version and do a split test for conversions?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8035359].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Aaron Doud View Post

      Some pages are.

      It depends on what the purpose of the page is. In fact many pages especially in the IM niche are just long form sales letters turned into web pages.

      Testing and more testing is always the best way to get the most conversions. So why not make a new version and do a split test for conversions?
      Aaron; You hit the nail on the head. It depends on the purpose of the website.

      Payoman;
      If the website is a one page sales letter, then, sure, treat it like an ad.

      Remember the difference between an ad in a magazine (newspaper, direct mail piece) and a website.

      People are already going to the website. The headline would more likely be your PPC ad or the headline of a blogpost/article driving traffic to the site.

      Ads have to grab the attention of the intended prospect. Nobody is looking for the ad, it has to change the reader's focus.

      There is nothing wrong with a headline on your website homepage. Just make sure it's consistent with the purpose of the website.

      Here's a good idea; My websites house lots of articles. The headlines of the articles are like advertising headlines. Online, I just make sure that the headlines include a couple of he best keywords. That the difference between a website article headline, and a print advertising headline. In print, you are going for attention, and keywords aren't important.

      What almost all websites are lacking is good copywriting. (I'm guilty of that myself sometimes). Advertising is copywriting.

      Hope that helps. And thanks for reading the book.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8035568].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author donza
        I just bought one of Claude's books, the one on online marketing for small offline businesses. Although probably 100% of the info is here scattered throughout the forum. and on the internet, I'd advise any newbie to buy it.
        For three bucks you get a nicely laid out proven formula for getting real visitors to your site. The "FREE" alternative is to spend a few months on here searching through the posts to learn the same stuff. Think about it It's a no brainer.

        3 BUCKS vs 3 MONTHS


        If this seems like an ad for Claude's book it isn't. It's an advert for books in general. They should be used for building the foundations of a newbie's
        knowledge. This forum should be used for refining that knowledge and building on those foundations.

        Cheers Don
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8036485].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author gmom60
          Claude, read your book "Selling Local Advertising" and would give it high recommendation that everyone who wants to be successful in advertising a business get it and read.
          A question regarding selling 'mobile sites' I've gone b-b and showed merchants what their website looks like on the phone, many shrug their shoulders, ok, what are you trying to tell me. Then I show what their site could look like on mobile devices. If you were going b-b selling this type service, what would you say or do to get the business owner's attention? Seems like they think their desktop site will get business coming through the door. Hope you can help. Thx
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8037069].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
            [DELETED]
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8037123].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author DABK
              Show them the number of searches for a term people do on desktops, the number of searches for the same search term they do on mobile devices (google's keyword tool lets you), do the math for them (percentages), then have them look at bounce rate for their site for people visiting on mobile vs the rest.

              You might find 100 searches on desktops and 27 on mobile. Desktop visitors bounce rate 57%, mobile visitors bounce rate of 100%. (You might have to explain to them what bounce rate means).

              If you have it written down for them, they get it (at least in my world, they have... so far, cross my fingers I don't run into... well, you know).

              One person I sold a mobile site to had 19% of all visitors on mobile devices. Bounce rate 100%. Bounce rate for the others 14%. Took me about 1 minute to go over that. A few seconds to load up a mobile site I'd done for someone else on my phone, a few seconds to get him to load the same site on his desk top. 3 seconds for him to scratch his head, say, "Hmph. I want one." 12 minutes to negotiate look, pages and have him pay me my fee.

              P
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8037396].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by gmom60 View Post

            Claude, read your book "Selling Local Advertising" and would give it high recommendation that everyone who wants to be successful in advertising a business get it and read.
            A question regarding selling 'mobile sites' I've gone b-b and showed merchants what their website looks like on the phone, many shrug their shoulders, ok, what are you trying to tell me. Then I show what their site could look like on mobile devices. If you were going b-b selling this type service, what would you say or do to get the business owner's attention? Seems like they think their desktop site will get business coming through the door. Hope you can help. Thx
            First, thanks for reading my book, and I would love to see a review from you on Amazon. Okey Dokey?

            Here's what I would say; (Bolded is you talking)
            "Do you have a website?" "Yes"

            "Do you ever have customers tell you that they found you online?" "Yes"

            "How much more business per month do you think that's bringing in your door?" "$1,000 a month"

            "Have you ever seen someone use a cell phone?" "Yes, almost everyone"

            "Would you also like to grab the other 75% of online shoppers that are using their phones to go online?" "What? But I have a website"

            "Yes, but most shoppers today aren't using their lap top. They are using phones to shop. Right now, you are only getting the people that are still without mobile devices. If you were shopping online using a phone, what information would you want to have first?" "Phone number, address, hours...directions maybe".

            "You mean like this?" (Show example) "Yeah. How much would that cost?"

            "And when people are looking for directions, contact information, and your hours...that means they are.... ready.... to....." "Buy!"
            "That's right. And those are the people you want, right?". "Right ,. How much?"

            "Well, you're now bringing in $1,000 in business a month from PC users. That's about 25% of the shoppers. How much more would the other 75% bring you?"
            "Maybe $2-3,000 total monthly"

            "Well, the great thing is that you already have a website. I can create a mobile site from your current website quickly, so you won't miss those sales.
            You said this would probably bring in an extra $2-3,000 a month in business. How much would you pay to get that additional income. Half?"


            "Well..yeah...but I think I should pay less than that".

            "Well, we are having a promotion right now where you get a complete mobile version of you site for only (whatever)"

            If you set up the site for a one time fee, mention that after the first month, every additional dollar the site brings in is theirs to keep.

            If you charge a monthly fee, make sure it looks ridiculously low compared to the value that they gave you.

            By the way, I only include mobile sites as part of a much larger package. But I think you would have success with this approach. I'm sure there are others that can add value here. (You know who you are)


            The key is you want them to tell you that;
            The internet is paying them.
            The value of their website traffic
            The value of the proposed mobile traffic.
            The idea that they are missing the majority of their online traffic.

            This has to sound, in their head, like they are discovering these things for themselves...not that you are pitching.

            Now, go leave me a review.


            PS: Notice how one idea flows to the next? It's like their train of thought. One simple question after another, letting them discover that they want what you offer.

            If they have to think much, you'll lose them. That's maybe the major problem I see in offline guys. They want to explain everything. They want to talk product. The business owner just wants more business. Don't give him anything he has to "Think about".

            By the way, I'm a business owner first. This approach would either work on me or come very close.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8037406].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author gmom60
              Brilliant sales technique. Can't wait to use it. The way I was talking mobile to merchants was inefficient; I knew it was my fault, not them for not understanding the importance of setting up a mobile site for their business to drive more customers.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042526].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
                Claude

                You close post 8 with:

                "By the way, I'm a business owner first. This approach would either work on me or come very close. "

                You just gave away the store to most of the wanna be offline marketers. They never included this piece of thought theology in the makeup of their presentation. You do realize everyone will now stop buying your books

                Tom
                Signature
                Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

                The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044946].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author donza
                  Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post

                  Claude

                  You just gave away the store to most of the wanna be offline marketers. They never included this piece of thought theology in the makeup of their presentation. You do realize everyone will now stop buying your books

                  Tom
                  Mate, I read that post and thought, "What other gems has Claude got in his book?" I look at the price for the kindle edition. 3 bucks.....

                  For me it's a no brainer I'm off to make Jeff Bezos a little bit richer

                  Cheers Don
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8046003].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author benbro
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              First, thanks for reading my book, and I would love to see a review from you on Amazon. Okey Dokey?

              Here's what I would say; (Bolded is you talking)
              "Do you have a website?" "Yes"

              "Do you ever have customers tell you that they found you online?" "Yes"

              "How much more business per month do you think that's bringing in your door?" "$1,000 a month"

              "Have you ever seen someone use a cell phone?" "Yes, almost everyone"

              "Would you also like to grab the other 75% of online shoppers that are using their phones to go online?" "What? But I have a website"

              "Yes, but most shoppers today aren't using their lap top. They are using phones to shop. Right now, you are only getting the people that are still without mobile devices. If you were shopping online using a phone, what information would you want to have first?" "Phone number, address, hours...directions maybe".

              "You mean like this?" (Show example) "Yeah. How much would that cost?"

              "And when people are looking for directions, contact information, and your hours...that means they are.... ready.... to....." "Buy!"
              "That's right. And those are the people you want, right?". "Right ,. How much?"

              "Well, you're now bringing in $1,000 in business a month from PC users. That's about 25% of the shoppers. How much more would the other 75% bring you?"
              "Maybe $2-3,000 total monthly"

              "Well, the great thing is that you already have a website. I can create a mobile site from your current website quickly, so you won't miss those sales.
              You said this would probably bring in an extra $2-3,000 a month in business. How much would you pay to get that additional income. Half?"


              "Well..yeah...but I think I should pay less than that".

              "Well, we are having a promotion right now where you get a complete mobile version of you site for only (whatever)"

              If you set up the site for a one time fee, mention that after the first month, every additional dollar the site brings in is theirs to keep.

              If you charge a monthly fee, make sure it looks ridiculously low compared to the value that they gave you.

              By the way, I only include mobile sites as part of a much larger package. But I think you would have success with this approach. I'm sure there are others that can add value here. (You know who you are)


              The key is you want them to tell you that;
              The internet is paying them.
              The value of their website traffic
              The value of the proposed mobile traffic.
              The idea that they are missing the majority of their online traffic.

              This has to sound, in their head, like they are discovering these things for themselves...not that you are pitching.

              Now, go leave me a review.


              PS: Notice how one idea flows to the next? It's like their train of thought. One simple question after another, letting them discover that they want what you offer.

              If they have to think much, you'll lose them. That's maybe the major problem I see in offline guys. They want to explain everything. They want to talk product. The business owner just wants more business. Don't give him anything he has to "Think about".

              By the way, I'm a business owner first. This approach would either work on me or come very close.
              That's brilliant Claude. And you're right. The sales questions do have a natural flow to them. I think any reasonable decision maker who was looking for ways to improve roi would have to bite on that offer.
              Signature

              "Everything you can imagine is real." – Pablo Picasso

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8046084].message }}
  • Without doubt, the main problem with most websites is they are all about the business.

    The consumer is left to the task of figuring out how to find what they are looking for, so they get frustrated and leave or purchase a fraction of what they could have been sold.

    Most websites are like a nightmare store where you can't find anything you want, no one is around to help, and the shelves are filled with pictures of the business owner.

    Take the top 10-50 questions that prospects ask about your product and write one page for each question. Answer the question simply and completely. Finish with a call to action to order the product, get a quote, learn more, sign-up for the newsletter, or whatever call to action you want.

    Turn features into benefits. Spell it out so your dog can understand. Don't assume anything. Tell them exactly how they benefit from what you are demonstrating/explaining. Use the word "you" at least twice as much as "I" or "we."

    You are now ahead of most of your competitors by miles and miles, or kilometers and kilometers. Your conversions will increase, and your backend sales will be much more robust.
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8036771].message }}

Trending Topics