What Time Do You Send Your Emails?

21 replies
Was researching about email marketing business to business recently. I found some articles that were saying that the day the recipient recieves the email and the time, affected the open rate and success of emails.

So I was wondering what warriors experiences are. Do you find that the day and time effects your success? If so, what times/days do you find better? Do you find that it depends on the business type? Or anything you think matters really.

Also as an extra, do you guys use contact forms, when the email address is not available?
#emails #send #time
  • Profile picture of the author James Foster
    Different days and times will affect your open rate over the short term, but I've found if you have a good relationship with the list, over the course of a day or two, your open rates become very similar because people who are interested in you find the time to read them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8342574].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
      Originally Posted by James Foster View Post

      Different days and times will affect your open rate over the short term, but I've found if you have a good relationship with the list, over the course of a day or two, your open rates become very similar because people who are interested in you find the time to read them.
      This is pure truth. If they want your email they will read it.

      As for "cold" emails it depends on so many factors. But with so many getting mail on their phones many check it several times a day even when not in the office.

      The only way you will know for sure is to test.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8343162].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TheBigBee
        Google the term; "Lead Response Management" you will find a study. That study will show you when it s best to contact a business owner by phone. I've used that same guidance in scheduling my emails.
        Signature
        FILL IN THE BLANKS!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8343310].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SuzanneRe
          Originally Posted by TheBigBee View Post

          Google the term; "Lead Response Management" you will find a study. That study will show you when it s best to contact a business owner by phone. I've used that same guidance in scheduling my emails.
          Will definitley check this out, thanks.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8343433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StarkFrank
    Right all dependent about you relasionship with the list, if you have something good/ important to offer for yours subscribers will be happy to hear news from and open your email.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8342602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Cold or not, there are definitely better times and days to send emails. It also depends on the industry that your list is in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8343349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rainingproblems
    Originally Posted by SuzanneRe View Post

    Was researching about email marketing business to business recently. I found some articles that were saying that the day the recipient recieves the email and the time, affected the open rate and success of emails.

    So I was wondering what warriors experiences are. Do you find that the day and time effects your success? If so, what times/days do you find better? Do you find that it depends on the business type? Or anything you think matters really.

    Also as an extra, do you guys use contact forms, when the email address is not available?
    Thank you SuzanneRe for this post it did help me out with two things....learning about the Lead Response Management Study and the scheduling of emails.

    I don't know that those who responded adequately covered the original question for this reason - you asked about contact forms. Most of the responses were about an established list, a B2C list. And their response for that is on point....wouldn't matter.

    However, for businesses that's one of the things I look at, is there a way to contact them via email....wouldn't you know that I have done contact forms and the messages bounced....honestly don't know who wouldn't have a valid email attached to their web contact form.

    But I'd say that I prefer email addresses (esp webmail) over contact forms because you know that they support HTML and thus the links are clickable.

    I will use what I learned from this thread to schedule my emails for 8:30am....I think that's a safe bet for service contractors. Open to suggestions though
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8352033].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SuzanneRe
      Originally Posted by rainingproblems View Post

      Thank you SuzanneRe for this post it did help me out with two things....learning about the Lead Response Management Study and the scheduling of emails.

      I don't know that those who responded adequately covered the original question for this reason - you asked about contact forms. Most of the responses were about an established list, a B2C list. And their response for that is on point....wouldn't matter.

      However, for businesses that's one of the things I look at, is there a way to contact them via email....wouldn't you know that I have done contact forms and the messages bounced....honestly don't know who wouldn't have a valid email attached to their web contact form.

      But I'd say that I prefer email addresses (esp webmail) over contact forms because you know that they support HTML and thus the links are clickable.

      I will use what I learned from this thread to schedule my emails for 8:30am....I think that's a safe bet for service contractors. Open to suggestions though
      Rainingproblems, I agree that the responses seemed more aimed at B2C and if you have a list. Thank you for sharing your experiences with contact forms, its weird that the email address does not work. They could be missing out on customers contacting them.

      In a WSO I have just read, it is suggested to send emails at 8am, which seems to be mentioned in the lead response study as well. So just like you I am going to give that time a try and see how it goes.

      Are you also sending only on Wednesdays & Thursdays? I think I will send first contact emails possibly on these days, but follow up emails according to my research, need to be sent within a certain amount of time after, so will just have to send on the days it lands on and see how it goes.

      Hope your email campaign goes well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8353453].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rainingproblems
        Originally Posted by SuzanneRe View Post

        Rainingproblems, I agree that the responses seemed more aimed at B2C and if you have a list. Thank you for sharing your experiences with contact forms, its weird that the email address does not work. They could be missing out on customers contacting them.

        In a WSO I have just read, it is suggested to send emails at 8am, which seems to be mentioned in the lead response study as well. So just like you I am going to give that time a try and see how it goes.

        Are you also sending only on Wednesdays & Thursdays? I think I will send first contact emails possibly on these days, but follow up emails according to my research, need to be sent within a certain amount of time after, so will just have to send on the days it lands on and see how it goes.

        Hope your email campaign goes well.
        One more thing I needed to mention. If there's only a contact form, check to see if there's a link to a Facebook page, then check the About page. I've found email addresses there, some with a person's name which then makes for personalizing the email.

        One thing I definitely agree with was that Monday's is a bad day. But I also gathered from a separate article that recipients would be more welcome to your message towards the weekend.

        Today being a Friday, I have a couple of emails scheduled to go out...still in the process of calculating my response average. Thanks to this thread, we have now found a tool that we can not only measure the response rate, but we can also measure our open rate and click through rate as well.

        I can see myself still sending out emails on the other days as well because as we've all learned in marketing....it's a numbers game.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8353573].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Murray Cowell
    Hi,

    Time matters very much when you're sending marketing emails. The first week days are best for sending, and the ideal time would be after lunch, because people tend to be more relaxed after the first part of the day at work.

    Please contact me at inboxincome.co.uk in order to discuss more on the topic.

    Murray
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8354084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by Murray Cowell View Post

      Hi,

      Time matters very much when you're sending marketing emails. The first week days are best for sending, and the ideal time would be after lunch, because people tend to be more relaxed after the first part of the day at work.

      Please contact me at inboxincome.co.uk in order to discuss more on the topic.

      Murray
      I disagree... Tuesday is statistically the worst day to email. I'd also avoid sending on weekends. The whole 8AM thing really depends entirely on what or who you're targeting.

      Day, and time of day, effects up to 3-5% in open rates. If you're struggling to get 13-15% open rates anyway, the time and day are the least of your problems. Deliverability is the most important with subject line being the next. If your copy isn't good then your email isn't going to work well anyway, even if you have high opens and send it at the perfect time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8354711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ProSeomCo
    Originally Posted by SuzanneRe View Post

    Was researching about email marketing business to business recently. I found some articles that were saying that the day the recipient recieves the email and the time, affected the open rate and success of emails.

    So I was wondering what warriors experiences are. Do you find that the day and time effects your success? If so, what times/days do you find better? Do you find that it depends on the business type? Or anything you think matters really.

    Also as an extra, do you guys use contact forms, when the email address is not available?
    @SuzanneRe

    Based on my own experience with email (B2B) campaigns - I schedule send out times @10:30am Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday Only - I never market on Monday or Friday! I use this schedule with most my campaigns... The fact is there really is no true universal time to send out emails to get the best results and/or response...
    Signature
    Claim Your FREE DirectoryListing?
    Consultants, Connect with New Clients & Virally Grow Your Business!

    Get Listed: Click Here Now!


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8359845].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave147
    Signature

    THESE PRODUCTS FREE @ adsense-expert
    When You Get The 300 Logo Templates Here
    $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8360201].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaddieQ
    Banned
    I've tried this and it works. Try to send the emails in the morning, or on Friday. This way people have time during the weekend to check the email address and see your offer and also think about it and discuss with other people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8360601].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Action Junkie
    11am eastern or 430pm when people are winding down to go home for the day or go out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8361456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author isosales
    Just scheduled my next round of email marketing to go out between 9:30-10:30am on Tuesday to about 250 businesses..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8361803].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rainingproblems
      Originally Posted by isosales View Post

      Just scheduled my next round of email marketing to go out between 9:30-10:30am on Tuesday to about 250 businesses..
      Reality check for me....I gather from your post that am not sending out enough emails
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8364657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    I don't really care about what time i should sent my broadcast,
    so long as what you are always cooking is tasty, the children will always
    be on the dinning table when it's time..
    Signature
    Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
    Software & Mobile APP Developer
    Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8361818].message }}
  • One Line answer to your problem is email at afternoon. According to the research the emails sent at afternoon and the tweets sent at the evening gets the maximum response.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8361821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bsummers
    I read an article regarding that. There are certain times that your email will likely be opened. I forgot what site I read it. For sure, Mondays and weekends are not the best times. I also agree with others, if you have a good relationship with your list, they will definitely take time to open it.
    Signature
    Need help in LEADS for your business? Ask me on how to generate qualified and targeted leads from appointment setting and lead generation campaigns through calling, social media and email marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8363175].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SuzanneRe
      Thank you all for your responses, some really helpful tips that I will definitley be trying out.

      The best people to get advice from are those that are already doing it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8363740].message }}

Trending Topics