What service do you love to sell that also has the most impact for your clients? Love to know...

by DaniMc
36 replies
So as the title states - I'd like to build a list of the things that you offer which meet two criteria:

1) You love to do the work
2) Has the most impact for your clients.

I'm looking for your "sweet spot" - the services that you love to perform and have impact.

I'll start.

Business Process Optimization - I simply love running through a business front to back analyzing workflow and client flow through sales, all the way to production, and creating efficient processes for managing every step. I coach the sales staff, implement work flow controls, initiate KPI reporting to the owner, and help the production crew run the shop.

So - what's yours?

Full Disclosure: I'm looking for services to offer alongside my main service to add more value to the client. Yes - I will be stealing your fav's and selling them.

List so far:
BacklinksPlus - Local Twitter Followers
ewenmack - Conversion Optimization
Khemosabi - General Marketing Consulting
bob ross - Brand Identity, Print Marketing, Pitch Books, and Direct Mail.
Claude Whitacre - Marketing Collateral/Copywriting
misterme - Marketing Strategy and Sales Coaching
Arzak - SMS Marketing
mjbmedia - Total Marketing Integration and Coordination
TheBigBee - Video Marketing
AndrewCavanagh - Lead gen downloads
ADukes81 - Marketing 101
Bayo - Credibility Building and Positioning Programs

.
#clients #impact #love #sell #service
  • Profile picture of the author BacklinksPlus
    For local businesses I like getting them local followers on twitter. This way they have laser targeting people to promote to. Clients get alot more benefit from tweeting there specials,coupons and updates. I use a twitter bot from my clients only vps to manage the work. I get amazing results for myself and clients.
    Signature
    Venom Software
    Craigslist lead scraper mailer/Linkedin Bot
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8384793].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by BacklinksPlus View Post

      For local businesses I like getting them local followers on twitter. This way they have laser targeting people to promote to. Clients get alot more benefit from tweeting there specials,coupons and updates. I use a twitter bot from my clients only vps to manage the work. I get amazing results for myself and clients.
      Care to share a quick explanation of how you target local followers? I'm a Twitter n00b
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8384810].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
        Dan, after speaking with you it's clear to me you are the scientist of marketing.

        To illustrate the difference between the artist and scientist traits in people,
        here's a infographic to show the difference between them...

        http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...st-suited.html

        You are best suited to fine tuning what's already running,
        not starting new programs.

        One area to look at is if clients have websites which get a lot of traffic,
        you can optimize the conversions.

        Using split test tools and make what seem small changes can make a BIG
        difference.

        The conversion side is where the real money is made because
        there is no extra money used to create the extra revenue.

        An example: I was called in to see if I could lift conversion on a website that was doing a little over $5 mill.

        Took me all of 5 minutes to find a blockage.
        They implemented the change easily themselves.

        3 days later the split test showed a 25% lift in revenue.

        See what I mean by the leverage point this has?

        Low input time and no extra money to implement.

        All the stats are verified for your scientist geek mind.

        The biggest free resource library on website optimization is found at marketingexperiments.com.

        Best,
        Ewen
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8384875].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BacklinksPlus
        Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

        Care to share a quick explanation of how you target local followers? I'm a Twitter n00b
        Honestly the late tweetadder3 was best. Which of course twitter had them shut down. Tweetdemon is ok also. I usually have 1 vps running for my clients only, the best part about ta3 was the auto following, autounfollow, scheduled tweets, and you could just put in an area code and it would scrape and find locals to follow. I think you can start to see the benefits of that for local clients. Best part is you setup once and it did the rest without much work.
        Signature
        Venom Software
        Craigslist lead scraper mailer/Linkedin Bot
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385730].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
    Thanks Ewen - It just so happens I recently completed a great conversion optimization course. Loved it.

    You are right - I love fixing things more that I love creating them.
    Signature
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Khemosabi
    While I'm not a "big time" marketer, (I focus more on local little guys), I will say that one of the most rewarding feelings is establishing their trust in me.

    I know that no matter what level of marketing you're at, having a client's trust is paramount. And, as Dan loves, solving their problems!!

    I too am a problem solver. Many business owners get overwhelmed running their business and don't have the time to market themselves, although they know they need it!

    They think of marketers as PUSHY, EXPENSIVE, SALES PEOPLE!

    I have real relationships with my clients. I'm not their "web-guy".

    ~ Theresa
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385765].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by Khemosabi View Post

      While I'm not a "big time" marketer, (I focus more on local little guys), I will say that one of the most rewarding feelings is establishing their trust in me.

      I know that no matter what level of marketing you're at, having a client's trust is paramount. And, as Dan loves, solving their problems!!

      I too am a problem solver. Many business owners get overwhelmed running their business and don't have the time to market themselves, although they know they need it!

      They think of marketers as PUSHY, EXPENSIVE, SALES PEOPLE!

      I have real relationships with my clients. I'm not their "web-guy".

      ~ Theresa
      Hi there Theresa - so could you share the main service you are paid for that you love to perform?
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385796].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Khemosabi
        Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

        Hi there Theresa - so could you share the main service you are paid for that you love to perform?
        LOL! Sorry Dan.. I was rambling! (I'm a girl, it just comes naturally!)

        Gosh Dan, I don't have a "definitive" answer. Again, I'm a little fish here.

        I'll use my one landscaper as an example. His website was HORRIBLE! I did some research and turned out he didn't even own it, yet it was his company name! This type of thing happens more than you think!

        "I'll just pay some schmoo to build me a site for 50 bucks and I'm good to go.. right?" This is my target market, the little guy. The "web-guy" ended up holding his domain hostage! Ha! I got it back for him.

        He wasn't getting any traffic to his site.
        He wasn't ranking for local searches.
        He had zero web presence.
        Anyhow, you get the idea. So I guess my short answer is I find the little guy that has been mislead and turn their businesses around. This particular client has more than doubled his revenue this season! Sorta proud of that one!

        I'm not sure if I answered your "main" question. :confused: I love to help the little guy ( I am one! ) That is the "main" thing that I am paid for. I get them results. My clients don't care about no fancy SEO!

        Also, on one last side note! I, like you, get into their businesses. I see how they handle their day to day.. (my landscaper had a message on his business cell.. "Hi you've reached XXXX, leave a message!).. WHAT?

        ~ Theresa
        Signature


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385909].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bob ross
    Brand Identity, Print Marketing, Pitch Books, and Direct Mail.

    I could never really get into the non-tangible marketing stuff. I like seeing the reactions on people's faces when they see and hold high-end printed material with their identity on it.

    With direct mail, it's amazing how many business owners never even had a clue that it's possible to market directly to the people that are likely to be interested in their product/service.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385889].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Khemosabi
      Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

      Brand Identity, Print Marketing, Pitch Books, and Direct Mail.

      I could never really get into the non-tangible marketing stuff. I like seeing the reactions on people's faces when they see and hold high-end printed material with their identity on it.

      With direct mail, it's amazing how many business owners never even had a clue that it's possible to market directly to the people that are likely to be interested in their product/service.
      This. Especially for the little guy! It really changes their attitude on things when they see their "name in lights!"

      And yes, Bob, they really don't have a clue about how to get a "targeted" market! And people wonder why all of the money they spent advertising goes to waste!

      ~ Theresa
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385935].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bob ross
        Originally Posted by Khemosabi View Post

        This. Especially for the little guy! It really changes their attitude on things when they see their "name in lights!"

        And yes, Bob, they really don't have a clue about how to get a "targeted" market! And people wonder why all of the money they spent advertising goes to waste!

        ~ Theresa
        I hear ya, it's really rewarding working with them. It's sickening to see some of the garbage advertising they get roped into doing.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385951].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Khemosabi
          Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

          I hear ya, it's really rewarding working with them. It's sickening to see some of the garbage advertising they get roped into doing.
          It's NO wonder why they don't wanna hear from us!! If only marketers would just understand the word "personalization" ...

          I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but it really had an impact on me.

          I called a BBQ place one day. It was a mobile unit, and that's what I was looking for. She had a nice ad in the phone book. I was actually doing this for a client that wanted to throw a big party and needed a mobile BBQ type thing. The client wanted more information about her product, services, prices, and so on.

          I asked for the owner, or anyone in charge of booking reservations. I got the owner. I could tell she was hesitant! I asked about the things I mentioned above and then asked if she had a website. She flat out answered, "NO!, AND I DON'T NEED ONE!" ..

          I simply said "Thank you for your time!" .. Before I hung up, I could hear her talking to whomever answered the phone. "Just another marketer!"..

          I didn't even have the chance to tell her what I was looking for, she was already sure I was a marketer! Just by saying "do you have a website?"

          My fault, maybe, but it really taught me how business owners think.

          ~ Theresa
          Signature


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386046].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Daniel LaRusso
            Just out of curiosity, your WSO in your signature is all about how you're making a full time income working with realtors, and you're talking about landscapers and BBQ joints here. Do you target pretty much any small business?

            Originally Posted by Khemosabi View Post

            It's NO wonder why they don't wanna hear from us!! If only marketers would just understand the word "personalization" ...

            I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but it really had an impact on me.

            I called a BBQ place one day. It was a mobile unit, and that's what I was looking for. She had a nice ad in the phone book. I was actually doing this for a client that wanted to throw a big party and needed a mobile BBQ type thing. The client wanted more information about her product, services, prices, and so on.

            I asked for the owner, or anyone in charge of booking reservations. I got the owner. I could tell she was hesitant! I asked about the things I mentioned above and then asked if she had a website. She flat out answered, "NO!, AND I DON'T NEED ONE!" ..

            I simply said "Thank you for your time!" .. Before I hung up, I could hear her talking to whomever answered the phone. "Just another marketer!"..

            I didn't even have the chance to tell her what I was looking for, she was already sure I was a marketer! Just by saying "do you have a website?"

            My fault, maybe, but it really taught me how business owners think.

            ~ Theresa
            Signature

            It is unwise to trust all you read on the internet.
            - Benjamin Franklin

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386837].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Khemosabi
              Originally Posted by Daniel LaRusso View Post

              Just out of curiosity, your WSO in your signature is all about how you're making a full time income working with realtors, and you're talking about landscapers and BBQ joints here. Do you target pretty much any small business?
              Hi Daniel! I can see how this would be confusing to you! I called the BBQ place for a client that looking into hiring them for an event. The client wanted me to call because I used to own a BBQ restaurant.

              As for Realtors, if you think about it, most Realtors are small business owners, in a way. That isn't really what the WSO is about, solely. It is more about using the leverage of them and helping smaller businesses too. You can PM me if you need more... I don't want to get in trouble here. :rolleyes:

              The landscaper I helped, is my neighbor. :p And yes, I do target small businesses in need of help!

              What I DON'T do, is their graphics!

              ~ Theresa
              Signature


              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8388595].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
                Originally Posted by dave147 View Post

                A direct mail piece is a great service but on it's own it doesn't cut it anymore,
                it needs to be part of the overall service if a respectable sum is expected on a monthly
                basis, and for a better impact/result.

                Dan
                How about adding...
                FourSquare set-up and maintenance to your services?

                Dave
                Thanks for the suggestion - BUT this post isn't about ME...it's about YOU.

                What do you LOVE to do for YOUR customers? What service would you provide everyday if you could?
                Signature
                Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8390815].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author dave147
                  Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

                  Thanks for the suggestion - BUT this post isn't about ME...it's about YOU.

                  What do you LOVE to do for YOUR customers? What service would you provide everyday if you could?
                  Well for me I LOVE bringing them RESULTS...coming back to them with Relentless Value, every encounter benefits them and improves their business. I love building the client relationship making it easy to do business and making it so that they could not imagine going elsewhere.

                  So I guess it's the service of value, results and relationships, and in the process,
                  I'm developing "Golden Clients" - clients that work with you, trust you, and don't question or resist your suggestions and ideas - they are 100% sure that you have their best interests at heart, and they pay on time every time.

                  Therefore, the "service" could look something like this....
                  Value Results Relationships = Golden Clients = Business Growth


                  Dave
                  Signature

                  How to Create Your Own Wealth and Success
                  $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8391122].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

    So as the title states - I'd like to build a list of the things that you offer which meet two criteria:

    1) You love to do the work
    2) Has the most impact for your clients.
    Dan: First, this may not help. The only part I truly enjoy is the selling. Everything else is work to me. The only reason I fulfill the work myself (with 2 employees) is that I'm good at it, and have promises to keep.

    The actual work? Writing good copy for articles, blogs, and videos that actually pulls people into their business is rewarding to the client, and I like writing.

    I can assign most things to my guys, but writing marketing materials is something I think I'll always do myself. So I guess Copywriting.

    And it really does make a difference to the client. What gives me satisfaction is when the client is astute enough to pick up what I'm doing.

    Nearly every business owner I meet thinks they know how to sell, but most don't. It's gratifying when I have a client "get" what copywriting means.

    And there are other copywriters here that are better than I am. Ewen is one, for sure...probably Bob, Misterme....

    And it's sure a lot easier to tweek a marketing piece than create one from scratch. I think copywriting is the thing that takes the most brain power.

    That's just an opinion.

    I love it. One loves to create..one loves to fine tune what's being used ("Scientist of marketing"! I love it)...me, I like selling what I have.

    Creating sales presentations is a close second...but when I create a sales presentation...and it gets butchered...a little of me dies. So I don't try for that business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386158].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by Khemosabi View Post

      LOL! Sorry Dan.. I was rambling! (I'm a girl, it just comes naturally!)

      I'm not sure if I answered your "main" question. :confused: I love to help the little guy ( I am one! ) That is the "main" thing that I am paid for. I get them results.
      No problem Theresa! Thanks for the clarification!

      Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

      And Dan, great thread man.


      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      Dan: First, this may not help. The only part I truly enjoy is the selling.

      The actual work? Writing good copy for articles, blogs, and videos that actually pulls people into their business is rewarding to the client, and I like writing.

      ..but writing marketing materials is something I think I'll always do myself. So I guess Copywriting.
      The selling is my favorite also. But - we eventually have to deliver something. I've got things figured out pretty well on the delivery side - almost every single task is handled by someone else. Every time I add a person, it feels like I multiply my earning power.
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    Right now I'm not actively working for pay with other businesses but I do chat with others in my industry and there's a few I coach from time to time. I did that as a test. Turns out, my stuff works. Not just for me.

    What I'm coaching is marketing strategy and sales. Basically I'll show others (as long as their business is miles and miles away from mine. Like right now I'm helping a fellow in England, a safe distance away) how to attract clients, how to convert inquiries to appointments and how to sell their services. Most people in my industry wing it, trying to win gigs based on personality.

    But it's great because with my stuff they get immediate results and it's a big eye opener for them.
    Signature
    "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386619].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by misterme View Post


      What I'm coaching is marketing strategy and sales. Basically I'll show others (as long as their business is miles and miles away from mine. Like right now I'm helping a fellow in England, a safe distance away) how to attract clients, how to convert inquiries to appointments and how to sell their services. Most people in my industry wing it, trying to win gigs based on personality.
      Interesting. I have had clients near and far away and I much prefer they are near. Most here have probably guessed that I find building new relationships fulfilling so I really enjoy working directly with the owner and staff. I especially love when there is friction and I have to think my way through.

      Do you run this mostly on the phone, email, skype?

      Do you have group sessions with the staff or is it just 1/1 with the owner?

      When I have a client far away - I give them one call per week, two emails, and one complete email teaching session. But, I'd rather go see them and make a new friend.

      If I could figure out how to do this more effectively long-distance, I might branch out that direction more often. I've been thinking the next step for me is to target clients who would fly me to their location one day per month and the rest would be remote.
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386645].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author misterme
        Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

        Interesting. I have had clients near and far away and I much prefer they are near. Most here have probably guessed that I find building new relationships fulfilling so I really enjoy working directly with the owner and staff. I especially love when there is friction and I have to think my way through.

        Do you run this mostly on the phone, email, skype?

        Do you have group sessions with the staff or is it just 1/1 with the owner?

        When I have a client far away - I give them one call per week, two emails, and one complete email teaching session. But, I'd rather go see them and make a new friend.
        I don't want to train my local competition. That's why the distance parameter right now. At the beginning I gave some tips out publicly and a few weeks later actually had two or three local guys email me earnestly thanking me for my contribution, which helped make more sales possible for them.

        That's when I thought I ought to quiet up.

        But I still publicly touch on the what and why, just not the how to do it.

        So I get PMs from others now and then who need help.

        I've used email, PMs and skype to conduct the consults.

        Most of the practitioners in my industry are solo operators. Sometimes they have a spouse who teams with them. So, no, no group sessions.

        I'm thinking down the road when I retire I'd be free to coach without restraint. I might build an agency between now and then which is another thought I'm dealing with. I probably have about another 7 years or so if I stay fit before it becomes insane for me to continue as a solo operator. Time absolutely flies.
        Signature
        "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Arzak
    I spot problems easily and I love fixing things too. I get annoyed when things are inefficient.

    As Ewen mentioned, conversion optimization is a good one. A lot of businesses aren't aware of "conversions" and will be surprised when you point out website issues. And then you can take it up another notch when you optimize their copy and CTAs. Just a few changed words can make a huge difference. Btw, what conversion optimization course did you take?

    I like SMS marketing because it's easy to set up and it can be fun to split test (can be slow at first). It's also satisfying for you and your client when just a push of a button broadcasts messages to their audience. Best of all, most of them will see the message.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386977].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by Arzak View Post

      Btw, what conversion optimization course did you take?
      I took this one (no aff): Conversion Optimization Training Course Online | Market Motive

      It is one of the best courses I have ever taken. I recommend it to everyone who wants to be better at analyzing the different types of customers and how to sell to them. It isn't just about A/B testing - it's about trying different approaches based on customer buying habits, and THEN A/B testing.
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8387139].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
    Integrating their existing marketing and adding in all (or some of) the potential they are leaving on the table.

    Many businesses have a website guy, an SEO guy, maybe a social media girl, a video company, and you know what, they're all pulling in different directions!

    The Website isn't that effective and has no real strategies running through it but hey, it looks nice right!

    The SEO guy is ranking for terms he knows he can rank for so he looks good, but they're not the money terms, they're not attracting the £/$ paying clients , but they are on page 1 whoo hoo .

    The SM girl is curating to her hearts content (pun intended) and creating some too, but it isn't resonating with the prospects or clients, it's not leading to much engagement but she's churning out the tweets, Facebook posts etc and showing them that she is 'working for them'

    The video people, hey, they're really great, o yeh, they're shooting great videos, they look real good, they're shooting the videos that they know will look good and 'impress the business client' but they don't impress the prospect , they dont fit in with any of the website/SEO/SM therefore they are now a standalone expensive mistake , but hell they look good right!

    Jeez I lost count of the times I get into a businesses marketing and theres just X people pulling them here there and everywhere and there is no cohesive overall integrated strategies to pull it all together and add new strands to it to strengthen the existing efforts .

    So that's what I love, just as too many cooks spoil the broth so too many 'marketing experts' spoil the effect, just use one
    Signature

    Mike

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8387902].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by mjbmedia View Post

      Integrating their existing marketing and adding in all (or some of) the potential they are leaving on the table.

      Many businesses have a website guy, an SEO guy, maybe a social media girl, a video company, and you know what, they're all pulling in different directions!
      Those are really great points. I've seen the same thing but have not really muscled my way in there to coordinate all of it. I have always kind of been careful about appearing critical of their hiring choices. "You've got that handled - so let's work on this" has generally been the approach unless I'm there from the start.

      Thanks for bringing that up! I have a client meeting tomorrow where this approach will work perfectly.

      How have you approached the situation if the other people were hired before you?
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8387920].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
        Originally Posted by Dan McCoy View Post

        Those are really great points. I've seen the same thing but have not really muscled my way in there to coordinate all of it. I have always kind of been careful about appearing critical of their hiring choices. "You've got that handled - so let's work on this" has generally been the approach unless I'm there from the start.

        Thanks for bringing that up! I have a client meeting tomorrow where this approach will work perfectly.

        How have you approached the situation if the other people were hired before you?
        Hi Dan

        I pretty much always go over all the potential ways of connecting with their prospects/clients, including those they're already doing, as if they haven't ever done them.
        I use various methods to do this, most often it's via a mind map that I sit down with them and run through , and I cover what the sort of results I'd expect to be able to get for them (in time) (half knowing they're not getting them) , this opens their eyes .
        For instance whilst running through the social media strategic plans they'd pipe up with:-

        'So why aren't we getting those results?'
        'Are you already running a social media campaign then?
        'Well we have a girl , oo whats her name now,...... doing social media for us'.
        'O OK , and you mean you're not getting those sort of results? , I reply shocked.
        'No!, nowhere near them'.
        'Wow well, lets have a look at what's going on then'.

        I am now way way above her in their eyes, she's been letting them down badly, I haven't said anything about her work yet, they've already made up their minds about it though, job done.

        If they don't react in that way, ie they don't ask why they're not getting those sort of results, I presume they don't know, ie things aren't tracked, so I may approach it via the tracking/analytics route with a few pertinent questions shot their way to bring that into the conversation .

        'How many new clients has your SEO campaign won for you in the last X months?'
        'Er, Ohhh, I don't know , erm well Sam (their SEO guy) deals with that doesn't he?
        'Does he?' (keep silent here)
        'Errrm well, Id like to think he does'
        'I'm sure he does, so then he'd surely tell you about the excellent results his SEO efforts were winning for you, so what has he told you?'
        'Erm, oh, well, Sam hasn't told us anything, has he?' (they ask each other ).
        'Really, wow, I love to show my clients the results my marketing has achieved for them, after all it's what they're paying me for'. (keep silent)
        They're stumped, why hasn't Sam told them anything, perhaps his methods aren't working.
        'So how DO you track where your sales come from?'
        (slightly sweating now) 'Errm, well, err , we don't really'.
        Bingo.

        If they are getting good results, I ask

        'So how do those results tie in (complement) with your other marketing strategies ?' or something similar to bring the conversation round to integrating.
        Signature

        Mike

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8388341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave147
    A direct mail piece is a great service but on it's own it doesn't cut it anymore,
    it needs to be part of the overall service if a respectable sum is expected on a monthly
    basis, and for a better impact/result.

    Dan
    How about adding...
    FourSquare set-up and maintenance to your services?

    Dave
    Signature

    How to Create Your Own Wealth and Success
    $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8388073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheBigBee
    I love taking 150 words (in most cases) and using every syllable to tell a story to the viewer, optimized to convert him or her as a customer through video. The best part is when you get those calls from people who were "on the fence about video" - until they see some work done for a competitor.
    Signature
    FILL IN THE BLANKS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8388152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trader909
    Banned
    make them money = love you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8388282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndrewCavanagh
    Probably a lead generating report that can be delivered as
    a pdf online and printed and sent or given away offline.

    I've written a ton of those over the years and when clients
    use them they can be amazing at bringing in high quality
    prospects, converting prospects into paying customers and
    as a referral tool (existing clients can give physical copies to
    the people they know, send them the pdf or send them to
    a link where they can get the pdf by opting in to an email list).

    Kindest regards,
    Andrew Cavanagh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8391159].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by AndrewCavanagh View Post

      Probably a lead generating report that can be delivered as
      a pdf online and printed and sent or given away offline.

      I've written a ton of those over the years and when clients
      use them they can be amazing at bringing in high quality
      prospects, converting prospects into paying customers and
      as a referral tool (existing clients can give physical copies to
      the people they know, send them the pdf or send them to
      a link where they can get the pdf by opting in to an email list).

      Kindest regards,
      Andrew Cavanagh
      That's a great one Andrew. I've been doing these lately (7 in the last 6 weeks). How do you normally position these? I've found that people LOVE cheat sheets and check lists.

      Are you writing these as "how to" or more information and selling?
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8391235].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
      Originally Posted by AndrewCavanagh View Post

      Probably a lead generating report that can be delivered as
      a pdf online and printed and sent or given away offline.

      I've written a ton of those over the years and when clients
      use them they can be amazing at bringing in high quality
      prospects, converting prospects into paying customers and
      as a referral tool (existing clients can give physical copies to
      the people they know, send them the pdf or send them to
      a link where they can get the pdf by opting in to an email list).

      Kindest regards,
      Andrew Cavanagh
      ahh you know they say sometimes things come along at just the right time? well they do say it, and it just happened.

      This is THE perfect avenue for one of my two new projects , I was considering a number of ways to best gain influence over clients and prospects of another industry, and this will do it very nicely.
      Signature

      Mike

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8391802].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ADukes81
    After doing this for almost three years I am seeing a very common problem -- marketing fundamentals.

    I just wrote a blog post titled "Why Building a House Is Like Marketing Your Business Online"

    The basics of my blog post;

    Online marketing is like a pyramid (No, MLMers, not that type of pyramid) with 3 sections (basic, I know) with the website being at the bottom, reputation in the middle and traffic generation at the top. Traffic being SEO, PPC, Facebook, TV, radio, billboards, SnapChat, hiring some out-of-work-stripper twirling a sign on the side of the street. I live in Vegas, I have seen it all.

    What's the point of sending traffic (again, online or offline) if the website sucks (not just deign, but copy too) and/or they have a bad reputation? It's throwing money away. I hate web design, but I feel I am doing business owners a disservice by not helping them with what they NEED first.

    Also, I have always followed the "new age marketers" and really haven't followed the older ones. The Dan Kennedys and Jay Abrahams of the World. I was being ignorant and (for some reason) thinking it wasn't as effective nowadays as it was then. I admit, I was wrong.

    I always shied away from having a USP or educating my clients on having one. Again, I thought it was "old school" marketing. I really believe having a solid USP is more important now than ever. We live in a 140-character world, and have seconds to grab someone's attention, a strong USP on a website could make a big difference. I am currently writing a blog post about this and upon my research, I found that there are 300+ dentists in Las Vegas! How the F do you stand out in all the noise? I think a strong USP is a great place to start.

    I know this really wasn't what you asked for Dan, but had to throw it out there. I love social and think it is an excellent tool for customer retention, but think the basic marketing fundamentals are getting forgotten in all this noise. The same marketing principles that worked a hundred years ago. So I am experiencing with offering marketing 101 before jumping into Web 3.0 stuff (or is it 4.0 now?)

    Sorry to Claude, Ewen, Jason and some of the other MUCH wiser marketers that have known this for years, I got caught up in the hype.
    Signature
    How I Generated 130+ Leads On LinkedIn...In 48 Hours
    CLICK HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8391167].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by ADukes81 View Post

      After doing this for almost three years I am seeing a very common problem -- marketing fundamentals.

      I just wrote a blog post titled "Why Building a House Is Like Marketing Your Business Online"

      The basics of my blog post;

      Online marketing is like a pyramid (No, MLMers, not that type of pyramid) with 3 sections (basic, I know) with the website being at the bottom, reputation in the middle and traffic generation at the top. Traffic being SEO, PPC, Facebook, TV, radio, billboards, SnapChat, hiring some out-of-work-stripper twirling a sign on the side of the street. I live in Vegas, I have seen it all.

      What's the point of sending traffic (again, online or offline) if the website sucks (not just deign, but copy too) and/or they have a bad reputation? It's throwing money away. I hate web design, but I feel I am doing business owners a disservice by not helping them with what they NEED first.

      Also, I have always followed the "new age marketers" and really haven't followed the older ones. The Dan Kennedys and Jay Abrahams of the World. I was being ignorant and (for some reason) thinking it wasn't as effective nowadays as it was then. I admit, I was wrong.

      I always shied away from having a USP or educating my clients on having one. Again, I thought it was "old school" marketing. I really believe having a solid USP is more important now than ever. We live in a 140-character world, and have seconds to grab someone's attention, a strong USP on a website could make a big difference. I am currently writing a blog post about this and upon my research, I found that there are 300+ dentists in Las Vegas! How the F do you stand out in all the noise? I think a strong USP is a great place to start.

      I know this really wasn't what you asked for Dan, but had to throw it out there. I love social and think it is an excellent tool for customer retention, but think the basic marketing fundamentals are getting forgotten in all this noise. The same marketing principles that worked a hundred years ago. So I am experiencing with offering marketing 101 before jumping into Web 3.0 stuff (or is it 4.0 now?)

      Sorry to Claude, Ewen, Jason and some of the other MUCH wiser marketers that have known this for years, I got caught up in the hype.
      Thank you for sharing that Adam! I don't think you should be embarrassed at the simplicity of your pyramid description. The most effective things are often the most simple.

      In fact, I think that if you can create an easy way for business owners to implement marketing 101, you can serve them at a high level.

      As it is, your post shows some real insight. I believe the process you described of realizing the basics must be in place first is the same process business owners struggle with every single day. If you can connect with your prospects at that level... You will never lack clients!

      You should create a framework around your pyramid and start teaching it to anyone who will listen! I bet if you printed and mailed that article to your prospect list, it would be very well received.
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8391265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bayo
    Credibility Building Services for Chiropractors - This is anything that will help them increase their credibility due to the fact that in general, Chiropractors aren't as highly regarded as other health service professionals.

    Email Marketing - There's a whole 'hidden community' of small to medium sized businesses that either are not ready to jump into "the social media craziness" as I've had it described to me, and are more open and willing to use what's relatively old-school email marketing. The best thing about these types of businesses is that they're already sold on the idea of email marketing (so there's less selling for you to do) but just either don't know how to do it or how to do it right and they're open to investing in it.

    Positioning - My main focus is on businesses that provide services e.g. Law firms, Dentists, Chiropractors etc, and a key revenue stream comes from creating lead generation and other positioning type of products and programs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8396909].message }}

Trending Topics