For SEO Guys: A Quick And Dirty Guide For Getting Clients

27 replies
A SEO specialist came to me recently
for help on how to get clients.

Here's the thinking behind on what it took to get this
seo client getting plan.

And it always starts out the same way...even if the client sells carpet cleaning,
liquid fertilizer or web design.

It comes in 3 parts...

1 Who

2 Where

3 What

And it must be followed in that order, 1 2 3.

Who asks who are the ideal client is and what we know about him/her.

For the SEO specialist it's somebody who is already spending big money
on marketing on the internet, but are doing it poorly.

But not so poorly that it would be too difficult to fix.

Step 2 is where we find this proof of spending big money
and are doing it poorly.

This takes us to Spyfu.com.

Here's an example.

Key in rhinoplasty los angeles

The following images show you how to find prospects that match our criteria.








Of course you would have to work out the degree of difficulty
of ranking those sites.

Step 3. What you say to them. Well since they are spending all that money on Adwords
and only getting a tiny fraction available clicks, they are in effect overpaying
by at least 50% for their clicks to Google.

We came up with this piece of research which shows the clicks go on Google Search.

Only 6% goes on the ads and even worse, that 6% is spread amongst all the advertisers.

I don't have the research link handy at the moment.

Now there will be people say those numbers are not true.

The thing is you probably can find research to back up any position which favors you.

And that's my job.

In summary, you've got a method to find proven big spenders for SEO.

And what to say to them.

Also if you aren't into SEO, you can use the
who, where and what framework to get more of your
ideal clients.

Best,
Ewen
#clients #dirty #guide #guys #quick #seo
  • Profile picture of the author AndrewCavanagh
    Great post Ewen.

    Nice way to use Spyfu as a client finding tool.

    Kindest regards,
    Andrew Cavanagh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8601978].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8602174].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author massiveray
    So how many clients did this method get your specialist?

    How quickly? at what price?

    You will generally find that people spending that much on PPC will already have somebody working on their online marketing strategy and have decided on PPC for whatever reason. Usually as a stop gap until their SEO strategy sprouts fruit.
    Signature

    Join my private strategy group on Facebook or find out how I made £2000 recurring in 2 weeks.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8604109].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by massiveray View Post

      So how many clients did this method get your specialist?

      How quickly? at what price?

      You will generally find that people spending that much on PPC will already have somebody working on their online marketing strategy and have decided on PPC for whatever reason. Usually as a stop gap until their SEO strategy sprouts fruit.
      He hasn't implemented because he's working closely with a source of referrals.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8672991].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author massiveray
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        He hasn't implemented because he's working closely with a source of referrals.

        Best,
        Ewen
        So it's just an untested idea? why go through all of the effort of screen shots etc without actually trying it out?
        Signature

        Join my private strategy group on Facebook or find out how I made £2000 recurring in 2 weeks.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674254].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
          Originally Posted by massiveray View Post

          So it's just an untested idea? why go through all of the effort of screen shots etc without actually trying it out?
          Others found value in what I posted,
          judging by the comments and thanks.

          Best,
          Ewen
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674264].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author massiveray
            Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

            Others found value in what I posted,
            judging by the comments and thanks.

            Best,
            Ewen
            Thanks and positive comments are great, but I'm more concerned with the fact that your client didn't make any money with it, then you posted the exact method here for people to read.

            Then those people didn't make any money from it (my assumption).

            Kinda make this thread a waste of everybody's time right right?

            Unless "thanks" are a currency!

            Value is cash in the bank not a method that sounds like it COULD work!
            Signature

            Join my private strategy group on Facebook or find out how I made £2000 recurring in 2 weeks.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674666].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
              Originally Posted by massiveray View Post

              Thanks and positive comments are great, but I'm more concerned with the fact that your client didn't make any money with it, then you posted the exact method here for people to read.

              Then those people didn't make any money from it (my assumption).

              Kinda make this thread a waste of everybody's time right right?

              Unless "thanks" are a currency!

              Value is cash in the bank not a method that sounds like it COULD work!
              Dan, I get it that you think my post is crap.

              You are in the minority.

              Should I stop posting when a minority think what I post is crap
              while the majority thank me for what I post?

              Sounds unreasonable to me.

              I wish you well.

              Best,
              Ewen
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674731].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author massiveray
                I don't think your post is crap, my initial question was to actually see if you had some stats on how effective the method was.

                I think it would be a great guide on how to get clients..... if it had been tested.

                We both know that most people take people word for things on here, especially somebody with your reputation and post count, so for a new guy to come here and put his hopes on a method that might not work is more unreasonable in my opinion.

                Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

                Dan, I get it that you think my post is crap.

                You are in the minority.

                Should I stop posting when a minority think what I post is crap
                while the majority thank me for what I post?

                Sounds unreasonable to me.

                I wish you well.

                Best,
                Ewen
                Signature

                Join my private strategy group on Facebook or find out how I made £2000 recurring in 2 weeks.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8676489].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                  Originally Posted by massiveray View Post

                  I don't think your post is crap, my initial question was to actually see if you had some stats on how effective the method was.

                  I think it would be a great guide on how to get clients..... if it had been tested.

                  We both know that most people take people word for things on here, especially somebody with your reputation and post count, so for a new guy to come here and put his hopes on a method that might not work is more unreasonable in my opinion.
                  Point taken Ray.

                  BTW, had you seen how to get that information out of Spyfu?

                  Best,
                  Ewen
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8676655].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    Those are some great insights, Ewen.

    - Rick Duris
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8604150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sitekrafters
    Thank you Ewen, this is gold! I have a question. How do you actually know they are overpaying? Also, do you suggest we offer them SEO or Google Adwords campaign management?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8611066].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by sitekrafters View Post

      Thank you Ewen, this is gold! I have a question. How do you actually know they are overpaying? Also, do you suggest we offer them SEO or Google Adwords campaign management?
      If you look at the number of keywords they are using in their Adwords,
      you'll see only a few ads which keep repeating and therefore the others
      are wasted.

      Also you will notice that many of their ads are well down on the listing
      placements.

      Now if the management is based on the number of keywords,
      then there is BIG wastage.

      Hence overpaying for the number of clicks they are getting.

      Knowing this you can fine tune their Adwords campaigns or
      do SEO where there is very few clicks are coming off the natural listings on Google in caparison to the PPC clicks.

      This means there is BIG opportunity to get more of the available traffic.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8611094].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sitekrafters
        Thank you Ewen. It still isn't clear to me what you mean by overpaying. Do you mean they are paying too much for each click or you mean they are paying too much to the PPC guy that manages their campaign?

        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        If you look at the number of keywords they are using in their Adwords,
        you'll see only a few ads which keep repeating and therefore the others
        are wasted.

        Also you will notice that many of their ads are well down on the listing
        placements.

        Now if the management is based on the number of keywords,
        then there is BIG wastage.

        Hence overpaying for the number of clicks they are getting.

        Knowing this you can fine tune their Adwords campaigns or
        do SEO where there is very few clicks are coming off the natural listings on Google in caparison to the PPC clicks.

        This means there is BIG opportunity to get more of the available traffic.

        Best,
        Ewen
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8611181].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
          Originally Posted by sitekrafters View Post

          Thank you Ewen. It still isn't clear to me what you mean by overpaying. Do you mean they are paying too much for each click or you mean they are paying too much to the PPC guy that manages their campaign?
          The end result is they are probably overpaying.

          Best,
          Ewen
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8611189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author massiveray
    Cheers for completely skipping my question then I guess
    Signature

    Join my private strategy group on Facebook or find out how I made £2000 recurring in 2 weeks.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8611797].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Lee
      Originally Posted by massiveray View Post

      Cheers for completely skipping my question then I guess
      Haha I noticed that too. Hopefully he just missed it. I'm curious too.
      Signature
      "One of the Most Successful Offline WSO's Ever!
      Get More High $$$ Clients with this Small Business Marketing PLR Magazine
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8671949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michlejeff21
    Ewen, good work. Thanks for sharing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8612019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SVCGUY
    This is Badaaaaaassssssss! Thanks man!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8671231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SVCGUY
    Do you have anything else on prospecting?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674351].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by SVCGUY View Post

      Do you have anything else on prospecting?
      I answered your PM about it.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Lee
    I'm all up for thinking outside the box and bringing new lead gen approaches to the table here. But I would have been more upfront about it being an untested "idea" because reading through this someone would assume that this was a method you were using & having success with.
    Signature
    "One of the Most Successful Offline WSO's Ever!
    Get More High $$$ Clients with this Small Business Marketing PLR Magazine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674699].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by Matt Lee View Post

      I'm all up for thinking outside the box and bringing new lead gen approaches to the table here. But I would have been more upfront about it being an untested "idea" because reading through this someone would assume that this was a method you were using & having success with.
      Matt, using Spyfu like I showed, is a tool one can use
      and give your own meaning to the data.

      I'm not a SEO guy, yet extracting that data seems to
      been the most valuable to people in the game.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8674753].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Matt Lee
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        Matt, using Spyfu like I showed, is a tool one can use
        and give your own meaning to the data.

        I'm not a SEO guy, yet extracting that data seems to
        been the most valuable to people in the game.

        Best,
        Ewen
        Ewen,

        It was good input. Just wanted to be honest on the impression I had - no harm no foul bud.
        Signature
        "One of the Most Successful Offline WSO's Ever!
        Get More High $$$ Clients with this Small Business Marketing PLR Magazine
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8675107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Rueff
    Nice! I've never worked with Spyfu before, I need to look into that. Good stuff (:
    Signature

    Life is full of nothing but opportunities. There is no misfortune, bad luck, or misery; only opportunity.

    “To move the world we must move ourselves.”
    -Socrates

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8677122].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SVCGUY
    Im going to be testing it with cold calling. Ill let you know if I land anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8677320].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wsands
      So basically I use spyfu all the time to research my prospective clients and decide how I am going to go about attacking their online marketing.

      We have shifted our business model entirely from web design/SEO to Inbound marketing either as a service or as consultants...

      In my experience, lets take as an example the spyfu example above, that niche would typically hire a person in-house to perform these things for their company.

      So the company is spending money on a new payroll (for anyone that's done that you know it can be expensive) AND they have to give the new "internet manager" a budget to spend as well. $40k a month is a lot, and if you could "tweak" their adwords campaign and get them off low converting high cost keywords and save them $10k per month, you could transition them into a marketing package (either online, offline, or a mixture) that they would be happy to continue spending that money with you now.

      Essentially, someone who is using adwords and doesn't have a professional online marketer with PPC experience that is managing it for them is wasting money and overpaying. I guarantee you will spend less money if I run your campaign vs you running your own campaign. Without going into an 8 page "Adwords 101" post, if you understand how it works, you will definitely see where people are overspending.

      The problem with this is the business owner has now way to hold the "internet manager" accountable because they just don't have the knowledge to do so. What ends up happening is the business spends a ton of money on things like PPC that is being managed by someone who really just googled it one day on the job while they were tooling around on facebook on behalf of the business they work for.

      It's my firm belief that no "internet manager" that is willing to go work for a salary for one company is going to really understand what it takes to do the inbound marketing for that company. They just don't have the experience, and to say you have the education, i.e. a degree, is going to be seriously lacking because by the time you finish learning something in this industry things change.

      Businesses just end up just delegating it to someone they currently employ or trying to do it themselves. This results in various levels of understanding, and a ton of wasted money on companies that are just out to "build some backlinks" and bounce.

      So, all that being said these are some various methods I use offline to generate business.

      1. Walk in, introduce yourself, offer a free consultation to see if you can help them generate more clients/customers/leads etc... You would be surprised how many times I have walked into a business and the owner is at the front desk, looks at my card, and says "We were just talking about our website/social media/needing to print something, what can you do for me?"

      2. Call ahead and basically offer the same as number 1. I try to schedule a quick 15min sit down with the owner/DM and during that appt I will just converse with them a bit about what they have done in the past, try to gauge their knowledge level, see if I can identify any pain points I can use to show how I will fix that in the program I am recommending to them.

      3. Of course I have my own website and other networks I have built as well. I have several people in town that refer business to me. I try to build relationships with people who are going to do business with integrity so I don't send my client to someone that screws them over because that will cost you a client. Merchant services, commercial internet/phone reps, etc...

      As far as research goes here is the abbreviated version....

      1. marketinggrader.com to generate a free report on their current site
      2. Check them out on spyfu.com see if they are doing PPC, this will also give you an idea of their PPC budget and Organic traffic
      3. Google their competition, and plug the top 5 into marketinggrader.com and spyfu.com to see what they are doing that gives them a first page ranking. This will give me an idea of how much work I am going to need to do to get them to the first page and start getting them some phone calls.
      4. I then put a 10-15 min video together for them that I am recording my screen while I do all this research. I also put in there some possibilities of what their site could look like, show them the backend (we typically just use wordpress for about 90% of our clients) and how easy to use it will be to make changes, we use an SEO plugin that has a green light if we did our jobs so we show how we are going to get a "green light" on all their pages. Talk about the importance of blogging etc... whatever pain points I have figured out I will add into their video and show them how they won't have that problem with me.

      5. I follow up with them about the video in person and collect a check for anywhere from $1400-$2400 to get started, and if they are already paying a bunch of money on PPC I put them on like a 90 day plan with me where they will pay about $400+ per month depending on the industry, and we'll do a 30,60, & 90 day video to show progress, where we look at the analytics, SERPs, etc... Sometimes I will put a tracking phone number on their site that just forwards to their number if I feel like they are going to be really picky.

      Now if they say no, well, I already did a bunch of research on their top 5 competitors, so I call them up and set appointments to help them maximize their online marketing budget and generate more leads.
      Signature

      Hi, I'm wsands and I approve this message.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8679238].message }}

Trending Topics