Have email open rates increased because of smartphones?

by Daniel LaRusso 13 replies
One of the things that's been shown a lot is how SMS has a very high and very fast open rate. A lot of marketers use SMS for offers because of this, and the lower open rate and time for emails.

I'm wondering though, with a majority of people using smartphones now, if email open rates are on the ride. What do you think, and, more importantly, is there any evidence or numbers about this?
#offline marketing #email #increased #open #rates #smartphones
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Verena
    Open rate for sms doesn't mean anything to me. Most of us open an sms right away when we see it. But most will just delete them right away too. Yes, like Beth, I purchase from an email rather than an sms.

    Verena
    .
    Signature

    By the way...We're the most popular web design team on the Warrior Forum. Our 2017 services:

    Authority Site | Amazon Site |
    Clickbank Site | Business Site | Viral Sites | Ready-Made Niche Sites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winiw
    SMS or Email, everything is in the content !

    plus, you have to work on targeting, if coders and webmasters open mails, dosen't mean that simple clients do the same.

    I made some case studies to compare email and SMS conversion, SMS wins !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8819820].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AllanJames
    Originally Posted by Daniel LaRusso View Post

    One of the things that's been shown a lot is how SMS has a very high and very fast open rate. A lot of marketers use SMS for offers because of this, and the lower open rate and time for emails.

    I'm wondering though, with a majority of people using smartphones now, if email open rates are on the ride. What do you think, and, more importantly, is there any evidence or numbers about this?

    Daniel, you will find the numbers at my blog ...

    Email Versus SMS Marketing. Which will be most effective in 2014?
    Signature
    50% Sales Conversions?? YES!, check my blog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8819858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    Email open rates are twice as much as open rates on mobile devices.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8820062].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AllanJames
      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      Email open rates are twice as much as open rates on mobile devices.
      Really?? That's not what a number of authoritative surveys are showing and it's not what I see when I compare sms open and response rates with the same on my own email lists.

      But I'd be interested to review the survey that you take your assertion from - always ready to look at the other side of the coin
      Signature
      50% Sales Conversions?? YES!, check my blog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8820510].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        Email Click-to-Open Rates Remained Far Higher on Desktops Than on Mobiles in Q3

        Originally Posted by AllanJames View Post

        Really?? That's not what a number of authoritative surveys are showing and it's not what I see when I compare sms open and response rates with the same on my own email lists.

        But I'd be interested to review the survey that you take your assertion from - always ready to look at the other side of the coin
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8820866].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author savidge4

          The first sentence in the study states that 52% of all email was opened in mobile. So yes the OPEN rate is higher for Mobile.

          As much as the CTO rate is lower for mobile, there still is a 14% +/- for hybrid click through ( being clicked on first with mobile, then came back later and clicked with desktop ) I personally do this all the time.

          Interestingly as you read through, you will see that purchase points are 2x + higher for mobile, so even thought you are getting a 2 to 5% click through, your potential sale could be 2X greater.

          I have built some Mobile sites for Customers in the last year. Do some sms and e-mail marketing. And I will tell you what, Mobile wins hands down in my experience, obviously in SMS, but in e-mail as well. ( easy to track, as the purchase from desktop, comes from desktop based shopping cart, and the mobile users purchase come from the mobile site )
          Signature
          Tools, Content, and Strategies to Develop Your Online Commerce Business - Coming Soon
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8820951].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author AllanJames
          Thanks for the the info! Interesting reading.

          Seems we were/are talking about 2 different things, you - email open rates, desktop V Mobile and me - open rates and response rates for sms V emails.

          SMS being much higher as indicated on my blog post (link in a previous post) where it gives some very illuminating percentage comparisons
          Signature
          50% Sales Conversions?? YES!, check my blog.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8821091].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
            Ah yeah you guys are right! I misread that, time to go to the optometrist! LOL

            Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

            The first sentence in the study states that 52% of all email was opened in mobile. So yes the OPEN rate is higher for Mobile.

            As much as the CTO rate is lower for mobile, there still is a 14% +/- for hybrid click through ( being clicked on first with mobile, then came back later and clicked with desktop ) I personally do this all the time.

            Interestingly as you read through, you will see that purchase points are 2x + higher for mobile, so even thought you are getting a 2 to 5% click through, your potential sale could be 2X greater.

            I have built some Mobile sites for Customers in the last year. Do some sms and e-mail marketing. And I will tell you what, Mobile wins hands down in my experience, obviously in SMS, but in e-mail as well. ( easy to track, as the purchase from desktop, comes from desktop based shopping cart, and the mobile users purchase come from the mobile site )
            Originally Posted by AllanJames View Post

            Thanks for the the info! Interesting reading.

            Seems we were/are talking about 2 different things, you - email open rates, desktop V Mobile and me - open rates and response rates for sms V emails.

            SMS being much higher as indicated on my blog post (link in a previous post) where it gives some very illuminating percentage comparisons
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8822408].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author AllanJames
              Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

              Ah yeah you guys are right! I misread that, time to go to the optometrist! LOL
              It's hard to be perfect Rus
              Signature
              50% Sales Conversions?? YES!, check my blog.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8846122].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author econnors
    What's also cool is that GMail is now auto-opening and caching all images. So, your email open rates (among GMail subs, anyway) will be higher as long as they actually see your message. Tracking repeat opens by GMail subs will be tricky, though, because once it's cached, the image is not downloaded again...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8821721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ignas LT
    I agree that sms open rate is much faster then email. But sometimes when a person doesn't have much time he will just look at the phone - "oh , another advertisement" and won't read it. If he got enough time maybe he would read the whole email. That's just my thoughts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8821725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brian Arthur
    Great question and discussions about the subject. To be honest I hadn't even thought about it until I saw this post, but definitely interesting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8845413].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics