Selling Ad space Pizza flyer

61 replies
I just started selling Ad space to local business , any tips on what to say that might help get a sale . I have one big chain customer but ohters in the area are are slow at jumping on .



Thanks Jay
#flyer #pizza #selling #space
  • Profile picture of the author johnlagoudakis
    Hi Jay, what type of ad space are you selling? Is it physical signs, banners on your website, links in your email newsletter, a combination of medium?
    Signature
    Need help getting more leads and sales? *** Click here to work with me ***
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8954350].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jthevwman
      I am selling Ad space on Flyers that the local pizza chain is distributing , I would like to fill up the flyers 14 spots before I do the first run .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bob ross
    I would consider selling space on a postcard instead of on a pizza flyer. Much easier (and better) sale.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955102].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jthevwman
      Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

      I would consider selling space on a postcard instead of on a pizza flyer. Much easier (and better) sale.
      Like a mailer ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955105].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bob ross
        Originally Posted by jthevwman View Post

        Like a mailer ?
        Yep, you can send a big postcard in the mail (8.5"x11" or larger) using the post office's "Every door direct" program for only 17.5 cents in postage. 5,000 of them would only cost you around $1500 in printing and postage. If you sold the spaces for $275 you can make around $2500 or more in profit.

        And your advertisers will reach neighborhoods they want rather than wherever the pizza guy goes.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955114].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author eXacta
          The following method has been fairly well documented online but here it is again:

          1. Sign up as a netflix affiliate
          2. Stick a QR code to your affiliate link somewhere on the flyer offering a one month free trial to netflix
          3. Make bank

          People love pizza and a movie
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955156].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jthevwman
            Originally Posted by eXacta View Post

            The following method has been fairly well documented online but here it is again:

            1. Sign up as a netflix affiliate
            2. Stick a QR code to your affiliate link somewhere on the flyer offering a one month free trial to netflix
            3. Make bank

            People love pizza and a movie
            Thats a great idea , what I'm having trouble is with my pitch to the buying business. I need a hook ,so I can sell them on the Value. If I offer the first run for free or a discount price would I be devalueing my product?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955354].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author midasman09
              Banned
              I've done many "Pizza Flyers" on Pizza Boxes. I do 3 things that help me get sales;

              1) I place my Demo Flyer ON a pizza box from the pizzeria I'm working with.
              2) I "salt" my Demo with 3 Ads, before makng my 1st sales call
              3) I Show a Graphics fee of $50 which I offer to eliminate IF they decide to take a space....NOW!

              I have 12 spaces on the front-side and 6 double spaces on the back for 5,000 copies for $290 each ($145 deposit and $145 on Proof) for a nice Gross of $5,220.

              I recorded some of my actual Sales Interviews....especially one I call my "90 Second Sale"....where, from the time I walk into a retail store until I get the owner to give me the Verbal OK and he pulls out his checkbook and starts writing.

              Send me a PM if you'd to hear it.

              Don Alm.....long-time sales guy

              What I like about my Pizza Flyers is.....
              1) There's NO Handllng.....just Print and deliver to Pizza Shop
              and....
              2) I get 5,000, 8 1/2 x 11, full color BOTH sides, 100lb Glossy for....$325

              SO....because I do my own Graphcs...my Net-Net is close to 5 Grand for 2 wks "work".
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8957620].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author jthevwman
                Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post

                I've done many "Pizza Flyers" on Pizza Boxes. I do 3 things that help me get sales;

                1) I place my Demo Flyer ON a pizza box from the pizzeria I'm working with.
                2) I "salt" my Demo with 3 Ads, before makng my 1st sales call
                3) I Show a Graphics fee of $50 which I offer to eliminate IF they decide to take a space....NOW!

                I have 12 spaces on the front-side and 6 double spaces on the back for 5,000 copies for $290 each ($145 deposit and $145 on Proof) for a nice Gross of $5,220.

                I recorded some of my actual Sales Interviews....especially one I call my "90 Second Sale"....where, from the time I walk into a retail store until I get the owner to give me the Verbal OK and he pulls out his checkbook and starts writing.

                Send me a PM if you'd to hear it.

                Don Alm.....long-time sales guy

                What I like about my Pizza Flyers is.....
                1) There's NO Handllng.....just Print and deliver to Pizza Shop
                and....
                2) I get 5,000, 8 1/2 x 11, full color BOTH sides, 100lb Glossy for....$325

                SO....because I do my own Graphcs...my Net-Net is close to 5 Grand for 2 wks "work".

                I like the Black background , I don't see a lot of coupons on the flyers. How does the customer Know if the Flyer is working for them? I would like to hear the call your recorded.. Thanks Jay
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8959241].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author victhrift
                Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post

                I've done many "Pizza Flyers" on Pizza Boxes. I do 3 things that help me get sales;

                1) I place my Demo Flyer ON a pizza box from the pizzeria I'm working with.
                2) I "salt" my Demo with 3 Ads, before makng my 1st sales call
                3) I Show a Graphics fee of $50 which I offer to eliminate IF they decide to take a space....NOW!

                I have 12 spaces on the front-side and 6 double spaces on the back for 5,000 copies for $290 each ($145 deposit and $145 on Proof) for a nice Gross of $5,220.

                I recorded some of my actual Sales Interviews....especially one I call my "90 Second Sale"....where, from the time I walk into a retail store until I get the owner to give me the Verbal OK and he pulls out his checkbook and starts writing.

                Send me a PM if you'd to hear it.

                Don Alm.....long-time sales guy

                What I like about my Pizza Flyers is.....
                1) There's NO Handllng.....just Print and deliver to Pizza Shop
                and....
                2) I get 5,000, 8 1/2 x 11, full color BOTH sides, 100lb Glossy for....$325

                SO....because I do my own Graphcs...my Net-Net is close to 5 Grand for 2 wks "work".

                Thank you very much for sharing this Mr Midas! Very powerful!

                Thanks again!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007854].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author unltdsoul
                  I'm going to try starting a pizza flyer this week. Will first find a pizzeria to sign up.

                  Got a couple of questions
                  1) I've seen some who say they give the store 10,000 flyers, other say 5,000. 10,000 seems way too many. It would take many pizza shops half a year to unload them. 5,000 seems more appropriate to me. 10,000 may be a selling point to get advertisers, but, is that many really needed, or is 5k acceptable? Opinions?

                  2) I'm going to ask the pizza shop to "Stick" these ads on their boxes.
                  How do you have them "stick" them on? Do most of you use double sided tape? Do you supply the shop with the tape and expect them to tape each one? Do you use regular 1 sided tape, a small piece along the top? Or do you use a glue, like the removable type glue i see used in mailers and typically that glue credit cards to their mailers? I think i would prefer that, but where to you get it, and how is it applied (by a glue gun, or tube?). Or do you suggest hot melt glue and glue gun? But, whatever method, your asking the pizza shop to mess with it.

                  I even saw one printing company offering Pizza Notes, like sticky notes, that have a repositionable glue on the flyer, they can pull it off and stick on their refrigerators easily, but their printing costs are prohibitively high.

                  We had thought of telling the pizza store that if they give us the boxes, we'll glue em on. But, that's a lot of work to do all at one time.

                  How do the rest of you do it?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9104208].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author mirons
                Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post

                I've done many "Pizza Flyers" on Pizza Boxes. I do 3 things that help me get sales;

                1) I place my Demo Flyer ON a pizza box from the pizzeria I'm working with.
                2) I "salt" my Demo with 3 Ads, before makng my 1st sales call
                3) I Show a Graphics fee of $50 which I offer to eliminate IF they decide to take a space....NOW!

                I have 12 spaces on the front-side and 6 double spaces on the back for 5,000 copies for $290 each ($145 deposit and $145 on Proof) for a nice Gross of $5,220.

                I recorded some of my actual Sales Interviews....especially one I call my "90 Second Sale"....where, from the time I walk into a retail store until I get the owner to give me the Verbal OK and he pulls out his checkbook and starts writing.

                Send me a PM if you'd to hear it.

                Don Alm.....long-time sales guy

                What I like about my Pizza Flyers is.....
                1) There's NO Handllng.....just Print and deliver to Pizza Shop
                and....
                2) I get 5,000, 8 1/2 x 11, full color BOTH sides, 100lb Glossy for....$325

                SO....because I do my own Graphcs...my Net-Net is close to 5 Grand for 2 wks "work".
                What vendors do you recommend for printing? BTW great info on this thread! Thank you so much!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9570524].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8959776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Glynn Kosky
    this all still work in 2014?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8962864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    What a great idea! I may just have to test this myself. I'll let you all know the results.
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8969560].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jthevwman
      Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleTA View Post

      What a great idea! I may just have to test this myself. I'll let you all know the results.
      It works , I just started my first round.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8976233].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    jthevwman, I've been doing EDDM for real estate for a year now with great results. We use the EDDM retail so we don't need a permit number.

    jthevwman and Bob Ross, is that what you're using or are you using the EDDM Business where you have to have a permit number? Also, EDDM says 5,000 postcards a day we can mail, is that per post office or total?
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8976479].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jthevwman
      Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleTA View Post

      jthevwman, I've been doing EDDM for real estate for a year now with great results. We use the EDDM retail so we don't need a permit number.

      jthevwman and Bob Ross, is that what you're using or are you using the EDDM Business where you have to have a permit number? Also, EDDM says 5,000 postcards a day we can mail, is that per post office or total?
      Not using the Post Office , using Pizza places to distribute .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8976849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    Gotchya!

    Looks like it's 5000 postcards a day per zip code. Phew!
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8982128].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cruisinman
      It's 5000 per day per post office.

      But - talk to the postmaster. Mine doesn't care how many we mail - just put the orders on separate sheets . . .

      Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleTA View Post

      Gotchya!

      Looks like it's 5000 postcards a day per zip code. Phew!
      Signature

      Life - enjoy it . . .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8996085].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
        Originally Posted by cruisinman View Post

        It's 5000 per day per post office.

        But - talk to the postmaster. Mine doesn't care how many we mail - just put the orders on separate sheets . . .
        Good to know! Thanks!
        Signature

        David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
        www.DukeOfMarketing.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8996419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JWImarketing
    I think oil change businesses are the best to go hand in hand w flyers... that and carpet cleaning. At least when I used to deliver them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8996711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
    I just started selling ad space on a 9x12 for the very first time this past week. I am a terrible salesperson. I don't understand sales, the process, any of it. I have some knowledge about it, but I don't understand it. I walk in, I get flustered, stumble over my words, feel foolish, it's crazy I even bother!

    But I'm making sales.

    Only one person has told me no so far, and I truly believe that her business wasn't a good fit. Four people have written me a check, and five others have made an appointment for me to come back another time. And I've only been at it since Wednesday. A couple hours on the first day and a couple more hours on Friday.

    Perhaps I can share a little bit of what I'm doing and it may be of some use?

    I started with the one client I have in this business district. She gets a discount and it was a pretty easy sell. She trusts me, likes the idea of a co-op, and really believes the whole area can benefit from it.

    The next business I went to was a biz that I had considered working with as a consultant, but in the end, I had to turn her down as a client. She knew me and trusted me, we had rapport, liked the idea and seeing another business had already signed up, she wrote a check too.

    Now, I have the ad plan sheet with two big X's marked with the business names who reserved those spots.

    Now comes the cold-calling. Note: I probably could've had my client do warm referrals for me, but she was on vacation and I did not want to delay getting started, so a-cold-calling I went.

    I wear nice, but casual clothes. I am not a sales-douche, so I am not going to dress like one.

    Before entering the business, I pull out my phone and search Manta.com for the business owner's name if I need to.

    Walk in, address the gatekeeper in a friendly voice asking for the owner. They ask what it is about and I let them know that Mrs. So-and-so (my client, she's well-known, respected in our biz community) referred me, and that I should talk to the owner. So far, 100% of the time, that was just fine and if the owner was there, they went and got the business owner.

    Now, the owner comes out and I repeat that I was referred by so-and-so and that they, and a few other businesses here are creating a business co-op with our first effort targeting 20,000 customers in the area. We'd like to invite you to join.

    They always want to hear more. Now I pull out my full size mockup and while doing so, I place the ad plan sheet with the big X's and businesses who've already reserved, next to it on the table/counter/desk. It's obvious what it is. And it's social proof that other businesses are participating.

    I explain that we're hitting 20,000 shoppers with direct mail, newspaper inserts, and flyer distribution and because of the power of the co-op, what would typically cost each business owner 50 cents or more per piece, we can get the price down to only a couple pennies per piece.

    Generally, they get it. There might be more questions, but these folks have been in business a while, they understand what it is and with the mock-up and social proof, they see I'm serious and they see the value.

    So what's working? Even though I'm a sales noob, I've a applied a number of the right things that when combined, are powerful sales tools.

    1. Greet them as a referral from someone they know and respect.

    2. Positioning. I position the product as a business co-op that they're being invited to. I'm not selling ad space.

    3. I have a full quality mockup of what they'll be getting. They can see how a giant postcard will get attention, they see the benefits almost immediately. I then reinforce those benefits while stumbling over my words and apologizing for not being a salesman. Ha!

    4. Social proof. Having the ad plan sheet with pricing and spaces Xed out clearly shows that others have paid me for ad spots already. And I tell them as much. Each new addition makes the next one easier to sell.

    I think that's it. At least so far that's what I've done to be successful at selling the 1st four spots and getting appointments to come back.

    And to top it off, all but one buyer has wanted to hear more about my marketing consulting, so these relationships are much more valuable than the one ad spot your selling to them.

    Hope that's helpful!

    If anyone has a moment, I would like some more advice about my 9x12 marketing co-ops here:

    http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...ng-co-ops.html
    Signature

    grrr...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8997975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    Thanks for sharing your experience, FormerWageSlave!

    I'm almost done designing a mock up, and I have my template complete with the ads I've reserved (I currently have 3 spots reserved). How much are you charging per ad? I'm selling 11 small ads ($150), 6 medium ads ($225), and 1 large ad ($350) on the postcard out to 4,878 addresses.
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8999029].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
      Thanks! I bet some real salespeople here at WF can chime in and help me optimize a bit more.

      As far as what I'm charging, I have small, medium, and large placements. Small is 2.25 cents per piece, medium is 2.9 cents per, and large is 3.9 cents per. For this run of 20,000 pieces, that's $445, $595, and $795 respectively.

      At the very last minute before I decided to go out and sell this thing, I decided to raise my prices to what I listed above. I decided to do this because I felt I was coming in strong with a warm referral, low cost per piece, I'm a local business owner too, etc.

      Glad I did... I've gotten no objections on price.

      Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleTA View Post

      Thanks for sharing your experience, FormerWageSlave!

      I'm almost done designing a mock up, and I have my template complete with the ads I've reserved (I currently have 3 spots reserved). How much are you charging per ad? I'm selling 11 small ads ($150), 6 medium ads ($225), and 1 large ad ($350) on the postcard out to 4,878 addresses.
      Signature

      grrr...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8999132].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JAYE820
      Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleTA View Post

      Thanks for sharing your experience, FormerWageSlave!

      I'm almost done designing a mock up, and I have my template complete with the ads I've reserved (I currently have 3 spots reserved). How much are you charging per ad? I'm selling 11 small ads ($150), 6 medium ads ($225), and 1 large ad ($350) on the postcard out to 4,878 addresses.
      DO you have any pictures of your mockup?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9568901].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
        Originally Posted by JAYE820 View Post

        DO you have any pictures of your mockup?
        I do.......
        Signature

        David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
        www.DukeOfMarketing.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9569103].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    thanks for sharing! Those are some good prices you have there!!

    I guess my ads work out to $0.03 for the small ad, $0.046 for the medium ad, and $0.071 for the large ad. Still pretty darn cheap. No business can mail for this cheap if they did it on their own.
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9001373].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author midasman09
      Banned
      Holy Camoly.....all this stuff about "Selling Ad Space on Pizza Flyers"!

      1) Just make a Sample 8.5 x 11 with some Biz Cards already in 3 or 4 of the 12 available spaces.
      2) Walk into a pizza place and ask the owner if he would stick your flyers on his pizza boxes, when they go out
      3) Walk into ANY nearby biz and show the owner your flyer (with your 3 dummy Ads) taped onto the pizza box and tell him you are making 5,000 of these Flyers that will be stuck onto pizza boxes as they are HANDED to Pizza Customers and....you have 9 Spots left....if he would like HIS Biz to be on 5,000 Pizza Boxes....HANDED to local Pizza Eaters....it is $390 (7.8 cents each)

      Thus....your cost, if you simply Scan in their Biz Card and print 5,000 flyers, is about $300 so....Your Net-Net is $390 x 12 = $4,680 less $300 = $4,380 to you!

      Well Worth....trying

      Don Alm
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006846].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ginnysclub1
        Originally Posted by midasman09 View Post

        Holy Camoly.....all this stuff about "Selling Ad Space on Pizza Flyers"!

        1) Just make a Sample 8.5 x 11 with some Biz Cards already in 3 or 4 of the 12 available spaces.
        2) Walk into a pizza place and ask the owner if he would stick your flyers on his pizza boxes, when they go out
        3) Walk into ANY nearby biz and show the owner your flyer (with your 3 dummy Ads) taped onto the pizza box and tell him you are making 5,000 of these Flyers that will be stuck onto pizza boxes as they are HANDED to Pizza Customers and....you have 9 Spots left....if he would like HIS Biz to be on 5,000 Pizza Boxes....HANDED to local Pizza Eaters....it is $390 (7.8 cents each)

        Thus....your cost, if you simply Scan in their Biz Card and print 5,000 flyers, is about $300 so....Your Net-Net is $390 x 12 = $4,680 less $300 = $4,380 to you!

        Well Worth....trying

        Don Alm

        What does the Pizza shop get out of it?
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9202293].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
          "What does the Pizza shop get out of it?"

          I'm not Don but I've done these.

          Pizza shop has it's own ad on the flyer
          (see Don's attachment above)

          Kent: Nice attempt to hijack the thread.
          It's a thread about "Selling ads on Pizza Flyers".

          McKattry: They use tape to attach the flyer.
          It's easy and quick. Inexpensive Scotch type tape is all you need.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9202567].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author McKattry
            Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

            "What does the Pizza shop get out of it?"
            McKattry: They use tape to attach the flyer.
            It's easy and quick. Inexpensive Scotch type tape is all you need.
            Nice to know, I thought just tape might be too 'cheap'
            Signature
            Do you need Hosting?

            Find out how to get a Huge Bonus Package with almost any Hosting Plan.
            Free Graphics, IM eBooks, PLR Articles, and much, much more!!!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9203193].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author cruisinman
            Kent's idea was actually more intriguing and working . . .

            Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

            "What does the Pizza shop get out of it?"

            I'm not Don but I've done these.

            Pizza shop has it's own ad on the flyer
            (see Don's attachment above)

            Kent: Nice attempt to hijack the thread.
            It's a thread about "Selling ads on Pizza Flyers".

            McKattry: They use tape to attach the flyer.
            It's easy and quick. Inexpensive Scotch type tape is all you need.
            Signature

            Life - enjoy it . . .

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9204165].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
              Originally Posted by cruisinman View Post

              Kent's idea was actually more intriguing and working . . .
              The OP's idea "works" as well but that's not the point.
              The point was blatant hijacking of the thread.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9205413].message }}
  • I would rank their keywords locally, then tell them if they want your slot for local traffic (which is most of their sales I'm guessing) they can pay you for it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006936].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author midasman09
      Banned
      The 2 Great things great about selling Ad Spots on Pizza Flyers is;

      1) Biz Owners can relate to local consumers having Pizza delivered to their homes
      and
      2) Once you get a local biz owner to buy an Ad on your Pizza Flyer....no matter what you charge....you've "got yer foot in the door" and....you come along later for some kind of bigger & better thingee...guess what?....tis YOU who will command Respect and Trust.

      Don Alm
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author betterwtveter
    Great thought exacta. So you don't have to worrie about finding an someone else to advertise. Look into becoming a free affiliate with netflix, and other sites, create a custom domain to direct to your affiliate link, and put it on your flyer. Very fast way to post ads and get commissions later on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9104252].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author isaacsmithjones
      If I understand correctly... The pizza place will be distributing the flyers for you..?

      I've done something similar to FormerWageSlave, and it's worked out very well.

      Now bear in mind... The most expensive thing here is usually postage. I use royal mail and it's around £750 to post 10,000 items. If you've got someone doing that for you for free, then that's the bulk of the campaign you've saved.

      You can pass part of these savings on to your clients, and keep the rest.

      It also means that you don't need to sell so much space up front, so you can use part of the space to advertise your own business, and part of it for affiliate sales, as you're okay being paid later.

      Hope that makes sense.
      Signature
      Why wait for sales to earn an affiliate commission?
      Earn up to £20 per phone call as a MyCallPartners.co.uk pay-per-call affiliate!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9104315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ErinWalsh
    I didn't see anyone answer your question on if it would devalue your service if you offered discounts. I think as long as you make them aware this is in "introductory discount on the first run" so they can see that it does indeed generate more customers you should be fine. Make it something like 10%.
    Signature

    Boost Software teamed up with Neverblue. They helped produce this new affiliate video.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9108172].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author leader
      So, are you paying the pizza joint something to distribute these flyers on their boxes (if so, how much)? I didn't see that mentioned. Otherwise why would they agree to do this for free, what's in it for them? Also, is there ever an issue with them saying they'll distribute, and then ultimately tossing the flyers in the garbage -- in which case you've wasted your money on printing, and the advertisers don't get the exposure they paid for? How do you prevent this from happening? I really like this concept - thank you to those of you who shared your experiences on this. I just want to make sure I've got a grasp on all the details.
      Signature
      TheSuccessStrategy.com - My Personal Blog Where I Chronicle My Latest Online Adventures....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9108831].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MrIMVO
        Originally Posted by leader View Post

        So, are you paying the pizza joint something to distribute these flyers on their boxes (if so, how much)? ... Also, is there ever an issue with them saying they'll distribute, and then ultimately tossing the flyers in the garbage -- in which case you've wasted your money on printing, and the advertisers don't get the exposure they paid for? .
        Good questions and I'd like to hear if any of the veterans of this model have an opinion about this.

        Also...Why just pizza places? Why not ANY place that delivers or has take-out. I realize that pizza places already have a cost involved with their fliers but don't other delivery places have menus's and stuff they cram into their 'take-away' bag?

        cheers,
        mike
        Signature

        The 'Voice' of Internet Marketing - quality voice over with a quick turnaround at a 'wso' price. :)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9543128].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ashleydupray
          No You are NOT paying the pizza places. The are getting 1/3 of the flier with their ad and coupons. Plus a free marketing person for a week or two going around to business talking ABOUT their pizza place and giving the businesses their menus.
          Who else does that for them.

          Let me answer that; NOONE!

          You can do sub shops and Chinese places.

          Check out Ginas course Pizza Money| Pizza Box Advertising | Make money with local business | Business Opportunity.

          Hope this helps.
          Ashley
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9543236].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ashleydupray
            As far as the question what if they don't give the flier to customers;
            Well let me give you a few reasons.

            1) They signed a contract with you stating they would
            2) Do you really think the pizza place wants to piss off 12 LOCAL businesses?
            Not a smart business move at all.

            Remind them that one of the businesses will probably order from them the flier better be there with their ad on it.
            Hope this helps.
            Ashley
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9543242].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author clawHAMMER
            Originally Posted by Ashleydupray View Post

            No You are NOT paying the pizza places. The are getting 1/3 of the flier with their ad and coupons. Plus a free marketing person for a week or two going around to business talking ABOUT their pizza place and giving the businesses their menus.
            Who else does that for them.

            Let me answer that; NOONE!

            You can do sub shops and Chinese places.

            Check out Ginas course Pizza Money| Pizza Box Advertising | Make money with local business | Business Opportunity.

            Hope this helps.
            Ashley
            Gina hasn't updated that pizza blog in 3-4 yrs!
            She hasn't touched her website in who knows how long.
            I signed up 6 mos ago, got about 6 auto responder messages and that was it. Not a peep since. She hasn't been doing to much marketing of her pizza biz idea, if she's still even in the business.
            Signature

            ~"We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails."
            ~"Never say never cause you never know!"
            ~"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there is still time to change the road you're on." - Led Zep

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9573626].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Freebiequeen1999
              Originally Posted by clawHAMMER View Post

              Gina hasn't updated that pizza blog in 3-4 yrs!
              She hasn't touched her website in who knows how long.
              I signed up 6 mos ago, got about 6 auto responder messages and that was it. Not a peep since. She hasn't been doing to much marketing of her pizza biz idea, if she's still even in the business.

              Ouch....I have been playing around with this sort of idea, and saw Gina's site but if she is no longer doing this, then what?

              Is anyone actually making some money doing this? Feel free to PM me as I would love to correspond with you
              *email or >? phone

              Likewise ....has anyone tried this but not gotten good results? Any insight as to what happened? Thanks in advance
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9589065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author serryjw
    JAY, I did something similar 25 years go with ads on paper placemats...I like yours. I'd give the pizza place a free ad in the middle with a coupon. It's free for him for just distributing the flyers for his fellow biz owners. VERY few mediums guarantees the advertising gets into the home, vs through in the trash AND the other advertisers KNOWs that it will be distributed because the pizza owner has ad on it.Give EVERYONE a category exclusive. BTW, I did well with RE & mortgage agents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9108962].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kent_Thompson
    I built a coupon flyer system called 25 Coupons that does what people have mentioned in this thread. I am using an 11x17 full-color flyer, divided up into 1/4-page ads and selling for 4 cents per ad for the inside and 5 cents per ad on the outside. (I can do other sizes of ads too, but 1/4-page seems to be the most popular cost/size ratio). I am having the ads done on fiverr for $5 a piece. I print and mail them out using an Every Door Direct Mail vendor to 10,000 mailboxes. The profit for one zone is about $2,000/month. There is a local oil-change business owner I contacted who owns 12 stores in different towns around where I live (this type of owner is not at all uncommon for brick-and-mortar) and he was so desperate for a service like this that he offered to take me around this one town and show me all the businesses I should sell to and said he would contact them for me and let them know I would be contacting them next week.

    Needless to say, I am very excited to kick off a couple new zones. Yes, this owner has been a godsend for this new zone but I have already sold a zone without his help and it wasn't too bad. The sales process hasn't been all that difficult. What I have found is that it is a good idea to try to pick zones where there isn't a ton of coupon-flyer competition like you will find in major metro-areas of the US. For example, I didn't realize this but there are many smaller cities of like 20,000 residents that simply do not have any sort of coupon flyer like this. Local businesses HATE the local papers because they are expensive and terrible. This is much higher in quality.

    I have so much information to share if anyone is interested. I am contemplating writing up a guide for what I have done and possibly offering my system to others. The system basically takes orders, sends emails, shows ad previews, and lets the admin assemble the flyers. By the time you go to the printers, you just hit a button to generate a high-resolution 300dp PDF file to upload to your printer.

    Please let me know if interested...I think I can help a lot of people on here.
    Signature
    Use Agency Ace to provide white-label directory, loyalty, rewards, direct-mail, email & SMS marketing services to local businesses: http://www.agencyace.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9195801].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cruisinman
      Very, Very Nice Kent . . .

      Excellent price points while offering exclusivity. Good job man!

      I wouldn't sell my idea - I would get peeps to run markets for you and you give them the lion's share of the profits . . .



      Originally Posted by Kent_Thompson View Post

      I built a coupon flyer system called 25 Coupons that does what people have mentioned in this thread. I am using an 11x17 full-color flyer, divided up into 1/4-page ads and selling for 4 cents per ad for the inside and 5 cents per ad on the outside. (I can do other sizes of ads too, but 1/4-page seems to be the most popular cost/size ratio). I am having the ads done on fiverr for $5 a piece. I print and mail them out using an Every Door Direct Mail vendor to 10,000 mailboxes. The profit for one zone is about $2,000/month. There is a local oil-change business owner I contacted who owns 12 stores in different towns around where I live (this type of owner is not at all uncommon for brick-and-mortar) and he was so desperate for a service like this that he offered to take me around this one town and show me all the businesses I should sell to and said he would contact them for me and let them know I would be contacting them next week.

      Needless to say, I am very excited to kick off a couple new zones. Yes, this owner has been a godsend for this new zone but I have already sold a zone without his help and it wasn't too bad. The sales process hasn't been all that difficult. What I have found is that it is a good idea to try to pick zones where there isn't a ton of coupon-flyer competition like you will find in major metro-areas of the US. For example, I didn't realize this but there are many smaller cities of like 20,000 residents that simply do not have any sort of coupon flyer like this. Local businesses HATE the local papers because they are expensive and terrible. This is much higher in quality.

      I have so much information to share if anyone is interested. I am contemplating writing up a guide for what I have done and possibly offering my system to others. The system basically takes orders, sends emails, shows ad previews, and lets the admin assemble the flyers. By the time you go to the printers, you just hit a button to generate a high-resolution 300dp PDF file to upload to your printer.

      Please let me know if interested...I think I can help a lot of people on here.
      Signature

      Life - enjoy it . . .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9196576].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SirThomas
      Originally Posted by Kent_Thompson View Post

      I built a coupon flyer system called 25 Coupons that does what people have mentioned in this thread. I am using an 11x17 full-color flyer, divided up into 1/4-page ads and selling for 4 cents per ad for the inside and 5 cents per ad on the outside. (I can do other sizes of ads too, but 1/4-page seems to be the most popular cost/size ratio). I am having the ads done on fiverr for $5 a piece. I print and mail them out using an Every Door Direct Mail vendor to 10,000 mailboxes. The profit for one zone is about $2,000/month. There is a local oil-change business owner I contacted who owns 12 stores in different towns around where I live (this type of owner is not at all uncommon for brick-and-mortar) and he was so desperate for a service like this that he offered to take me around this one town and show me all the businesses I should sell to and said he would contact them for me and let them know I would be contacting them next week.

      Needless to say, I am very excited to kick off a couple new zones. Yes, this owner has been a godsend for this new zone but I have already sold a zone without his help and it wasn't too bad. The sales process hasn't been all that difficult. What I have found is that it is a good idea to try to pick zones where there isn't a ton of coupon-flyer competition like you will find in major metro-areas of the US. For example, I didn't realize this but there are many smaller cities of like 20,000 residents that simply do not have any sort of coupon flyer like this. Local businesses HATE the local papers because they are expensive and terrible. This is much higher in quality.

      I have so much information to share if anyone is interested. I am contemplating writing up a guide for what I have done and possibly offering my system to others. The system basically takes orders, sends emails, shows ad previews, and lets the admin assemble the flyers. By the time you go to the printers, you just hit a button to generate a high-resolution 300dp PDF file to upload to your printer.

      Please let me know if interested...I think I can help a lot of people on here.

      Nice job Kent! What type of paper are you using for your flyer? Is it 100lb text or less?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9197980].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author McKattry
        I would be curious as to how to 'stick' the flyers on too. Or do you just have the delivery guy hand out the flyer with the box?
        Signature
        Do you need Hosting?

        Find out how to get a Huge Bonus Package with almost any Hosting Plan.
        Free Graphics, IM eBooks, PLR Articles, and much, much more!!!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9200668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ashleydupray
    I believe Gina still has her course Pizza Money
    Check that out that wil help a lot.
    Ashley
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9197298].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TrumpiaTim
    Go door to door to local businesses near the pizza store for relevance
    Signature

    www.Trumpia.com

    Trumpia: The Most Completed SMS Text Messaging Software & API Solution.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9197474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lovakr
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9202614].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cruisinman
      You don't have to be any of those 3 things man . . .


      Originally Posted by lovakr View Post

      There are 3 rules to selling:

      1) You have to be enthusiastic as hell. This tells the prospect you have something really great to offer

      2) You are sharp. If they don't think you are sharp , you are wasting their time.

      3) You are an authority figure and a force to be reckoned with. People are taught to respect and listen to authority figures from a young age.

      All of this comes down to one thing!: You are a person who can help them get what they want and achieve their goals.

      And all of this you need to establish in the first 4 seconds! How do you do that? By believing and being passionate in the product you are selling, but most importantly be shameless. Believe that they are going to be better off after they buy this product. It is for this reason that you should only sell GOOD products!
      Signature

      Life - enjoy it . . .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9204149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author charbrown
    I see Bob Ross has already replied to your thread. I was going to mention his great products and his big post cards. I have been planning to start his business model with my son (hopefully later this summer). Any way, why do a one-time gig of passing out flyers when you can build a business using Bob's model?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9206601].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
      Yep, you can do an ad program with a pizza place over and over again.
      Advertisers love it and the profit margins are very high because there
      is no delivery costs.

      Also, the pizza guy will supply you with the names of business owners
      he'd like to have on his flyer. I've had them even call the other business
      owners and introduce the program.

      This makes selling the spaces a breeze.

      Thanks for bringing it up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9206703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cobra5106
    Originally Posted by jthevwman View Post

    I just started selling Ad space to local business , any tips on what to say that might help get a sale . I have one big chain customer but ohters in the area are are slow at jumping on .



    Thanks Jay
    What are the reasons the other businesses are using not to buy into you promotions offer?

    If there are common reason, maybe that could be a point to address.

    If they're all different reasons, then the task is to be able to address each resistance. Its harder, but eventually, there will be businesses that will have similar reasons, and then, you'll be ready for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9211779].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author victhrift
      This place is full of Rock Stars!
      Can anyone share how this would be taxed? The model that Don was talking about?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9334025].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author juggernaught
    nice work.....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9334047].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrIMVO
    woohoo! just discovered that 'urban spoon' will filter restaurants by 'delivery' so you can choose and area and find ALL delivery restaurants with a single search. I guess just weed out the franchises (since they have to go through a committee to get permission) and walk in to the mom-n-pops with a demo flyer.

    sound about right?

    maybe other restaurant apps also filter by delivery?

    Grub hub also has a 'has coupon' filter!
    Signature

    The 'Voice' of Internet Marketing - quality voice over with a quick turnaround at a 'wso' price. :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9543318].message }}

Trending Topics