When your ads get rejected?

11 replies
I paid $6000 for a full page ad in a magazine that comes out once a month. The problem is that my ad got rejected for looking too similar to their editorial pieces.

So, I went back to the drawing board and changed the design. Also put a BIG sign over my headline (in red) that said: ADVERTISEMENT.

Still got rejected. When I asked why, they said "Even though you say ADVERTISEMENT in it, it still has too much text in it".

After speaking to them on the phone, I am not allowed to have any text in the ad except a picture of my product, some bullets and a phone number/web-address.

Would you cancel the ad in my position? Anyone had a successful ad by just showing the product and having some bullets?
#ads #rejected
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    Didn't you read the guidelines for their ads before spending the money?

    Originally Posted by svedski View Post

    I paid $6000 for a full page ad in a magazine that comes out once a month. The problem is that my ad got rejected for looking too similar to their editorial pieces.

    So, I went back to the drawing board and changed the design. Also put a BIG sign over my headline (in red) that said: ADVERTISEMENT.

    Still got rejected. When I asked why, they said "Even though you say ADVERTISEMENT in it, it still has too much text in it".

    After speaking to them on the phone, I am not allowed to have any text in the ad except a picture of my product, some bullets and a phone number/web-address.

    Would you cancel the ad in my position? Anyone had a successful ad by just showing the product and having some bullets?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author svedski
      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      Didn't you read the guidelines for their ads before spending the money?
      They didn't have any guidelines. At first it was approved then it got declined last minute. Apparently they've never seen direct-response ads before.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033365].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        Refund request then. Why on earth would a magazine NOT have advertising guidelines.

        Originally Posted by svedski View Post

        They didn't have any guidelines. At first it was approved then it got declined last minute. Apparently they've never seen direct-response ads before.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033370].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
        Originally Posted by svedski View Post

        They didn't have any guidelines. At first it was approved then it got declined last minute. Apparently they've never seen direct-response ads before.
        So, they first approved your advertorial and then they disapproved it? Why did they approve it in the first place if it's not allowed?

        They sure don't sound easy to work with. Either ask them to use your advertorial because they originally approved it or ask for a refund.
        Signature

        David Hunter | Duke of Marketing
        www.DukeOfMarketing.com
        www.BibleAndFriendsYouTube.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033610].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ronr
          Sounds like they just want pretty image ads that don't work and are hard to track like the rest of their advertisers.

          If you've run your direct response ad in other publications and you know it works then don't run it with them. It's your money and you are there to get results.

          Ron
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9034781].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JCorp
    Yup, seems like BRAND advertising... and not direct response... if you're not going for BRAND advertising... which it seems like you're not... then move on.

    There's plenty of other places you can put $6K in and get great results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9035266].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Biz Max
    A full page 'ad' for $6k that can't be used to sell anything? Unless you're
    selling perfume (and a few more million to keep the ads coming) I'd bail
    on that deal.

    Makes as much sense as wiping your arse before a poo
    Signature
    Small Business Marketing & Branding Specialist
    http://BrandWhisperer.net
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9035669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    I had the SAME experience. Everything's great and wonderful... up until they see you want to place an advertorial. Then they jump all over it saying their legal team doesn't allow anything that resembles an editorial.

    And then they tell you to edit it back to being a similar ad looking like everyone else's. Because of course they still want your money but they want to censor you and have your ad conform to what they wish to present.

    My advice is, unless you can write an ad under their guidelines that you know will work - cancel the ad and move on. If you run it under their guidelines they will effectively neuter what would've made the ad work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9035879].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
      Yups I totally agree with misterme and again I say get a refund. They aren't actually interested in your ads success, they only want the money.

      Originally Posted by misterme View Post

      I had the SAME experience. Everything's great and wonderful... up until they see you want to place an advertorial. Then they jump all over it saying their legal team doesn't allow anything that resembles an editorial.

      And then they tell you to edit it back to being a similar ad looking like everyone else's. Because of course they still want your money but they want to censor you and have your ad conform to what they wish to present.

      My advice is, unless you can write an ad under their guidelines that you know will work - cancel the ad and move on. If you run it under their guidelines they will effectively neuter what would've made the ad work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9035905].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ppc specialist
        This is EXACTLY the same problem I am having with Google Display Ads at my job. The are really cracking down now. At first my image ads will be approved, sometimes up to a week, then all of a sudden, mass disapproval on all of them. I sell software utilities online and they won't let us get away with anything since about 5 or 6 months ago.

        Phrases I can't use anymore or I will get slapped with "unacceptable image content":

        (Recommended), (Highly Recommended), Important Message, and that is just to name a few.

        They are also starting to insist that we put our brand name on all our ads, even though we have tested that hundreds of times and it always lowers our CTR. It seems Google considers everything 'trick to click' these days.

        Apparently they just don't like direct response ads. Well **** you Google... My JOB is direct response.

        Sorry I can't give you any advice on this one other than keep trying new creative and pushing the boundaries as far as they will let you.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9360092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David B.
    Same thing with my boosting an image that I post on Facebook, it had too many words! It got .15 cents worth exposure before they reject it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9360646].message }}

Trending Topics