The Most Profitable Direct Mail Campaign Ever

17 replies
CNBC: Tech billionaire buys record-setting $201 million insurance policy.


The most amazing thing about this story is the marketers' persistence. It took them 4 years to reel this guy in and he probably made it all worth it in multiples!

Who says direct mail doesn't work???

What's even more amazing to me is that these folks clearly have their copywriting game down pat. Most billionaires operate on references for decisions like this. How many billionaires pick up a piece of mail, then "cold call" the solicitor? Don't they ask their billionaire friends?
#campaign #direct #mail #profitable
  • Profile picture of the author qu4rk
    Originally Posted by TheBigBee View Post

    Don't they ask their billionaire friends?
    Maybe this is a great myth dispelled. We think this, but this could be a key article for people going after high networth people/businesses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9038896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bob ross
    Incredible, thanks for sharing this with us I would have never seen it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9039011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    Direct mail is king!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it can bring in a billionaire, it can bring in anybody!
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9039705].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
    Yep, direct mail works.

    These guys are at the top of the game.

    Why...I have heard...that among billionaires, their "open" and "response" rates
    are legendary.

    I'm willing to bet ya, Bee, that these guys have the most profitable direct mail campaign ever.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9039881].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author misterme
      Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

      I'm willing to bet ya, Bee, that these guys have the most profitable direct mail campaign ever.
      They 1. use a call to action with a deadline. I'll bet that alone plays a large part in their success.
      2. Endorsed mailing: coming from your Uncle Sam.
      3. Very personalized: starting from your name all the way down to your social security number.
      4. Urgency: Pay one price now - or pay more later.
      5. Irrestible offer: for one small fee, get protection against foreign invaders and all your highways paved - that's a value regularly worth billions of dollars.
      6. Scarcity: offered in one mailing a year.
      7. Exclusivity: only offered to U.S. Citizens.
      8. Use of a strong guarantee: Paying will keep you out of prison.
      Signature
      "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9042132].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SirThomas
      Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

      Yep, direct mail works.

      These guys are at the top of the game.

      Why...I have heard...that among billionaires, their "open" and "response" rates
      are legendary.

      I'm willing to bet ya, Bee, that these guys have the most profitable direct mail campaign ever.

      Who says you need to hand write anything to get attention? I'd also scrap the idea of not including the sender's info, because it lowers response...lol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9042343].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rearden
    Word on the street is Michael Dell bought it and the premium is $1.2 million PER MONTH.
    Signature
    Final Expense Agent Mentor -- Providing On-Going, Personalized Mentorship And Training From A Real Final Expense Producer To Agents New To The Final Expense Life Insurance Business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9040482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    4 years? I'd be interested in sneaking a peak at their funnel, what they were writing.

    Though I don't know if this one extreme example is proof that DM "works." That's to say, I believe DM does work, just don't believe one abberation proves the whole thing.
    Signature
    "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9041113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
    Originally Posted by TheBigBee View Post

    CNBC: Tech billionaire buys record-setting $201 million insurance policy.


    The most amazing thing about this story is the marketers' persistence. It took them 4 years to reel this guy in and he probably made it all worth it in multiples!

    Who says direct mail doesn't work???

    What's even more amazing to me is that these folks clearly have their copywriting game down pat. Most billionaires operate on references for decisions like this. How many billionaires pick up a piece of mail, then "cold call" the solicitor? Don't they ask their billionaire friends?
    Unless you have another article this one proves nothing.

    What 4 years to reel him in? Where are you reading this? It just said he responded to some correspondence 4 years ago.

    Might have just been 'We are having a chat about wealth management in Starbucks Thursday night. Fancy joining us if you've nothing on?'

    What was the Copywriting that is down to pat? Their website is not that great so how do you know what they wrote?

    If I bought a mobile phone from Vodafone 20 years ago and now I have a dongle with them for a laptop does that mean it took 20 years of Marketing persistence for them to reel me in?

    If this is your only reference you make an awful lot of assumptions.

    Whoever this person is who bought the policy did not in the slightest get a cold letter last week and phone this week to take out the policy.

    You need to understand this simple fact.

    Direct Mail can build any business, is what you should take away from the article. Nothing more.

    Dan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9041330].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheBigBee
      Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post

      Unless you have another article this one proves nothing.

      What 4 years to reel him in? Where are you reading this? It just said he responded to some correspondence 4 years ago.

      Might have just been 'We are having a chat about wealth management in Starbucks Thursday night. Fancy joining us if you've nothing on?'

      What was the Copywriting that is down to pat? Their website is not that great so how do you know what they wrote?

      If I bought a mobile phone from Vodafone 20 years ago and now I have a dongle with them for a laptop does that mean it took 20 years of Marketing persistence for them to reel me in?

      If this is your only reference you make an awful lot of assumptions.

      Whoever this person is who bought the policy did not in the slightest get a cold letter last week and phone this week to take out the policy.

      You need to understand this simple fact.

      Direct Mail can build any business, is what you should take away from the article. Nothing more.

      Dan

      I'll post less.
      Signature
      FILL IN THE BLANKS!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9042563].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
        Originally Posted by TheBigBee View Post

        I'll post less.
        Just guess less.

        Dan
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9043227].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TheBigBee
          Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post

          Just guess less.

          Dan
          Actually posting less < Guessing less.

          The science of Entrepreneurship is rooted in guesses, and testing against those guesses. It's why you have clients to chase.

          What's interesting here is that in sharing this post, and my thoughts on this post via social media - I wasn't flamed.

          WF is the only place in the world where you can share highly valuable content, and thoughts on that content and live in fear of getting flamed.

          I never fear getting flamed when I share stuff on FB and LinkedIn - because it doesn't happen there.

          I guess that's in part because I get to choose who I share with. I define who is in my circle.

          That doesn't exist here.

          If I had it my way I would have only shared the folks who thanked me for it.

          I think from here going forward, I'm going to stop giving. I'll be here all the time. Taking. Just not posting.

          WF has made me a freaking mint and will continue to do so. Guys like "online only" "bob ross" and many many others have added value to my life, skillset, and company.

          PM me when you think it's safe to start giving back again.
          Signature
          FILL IN THE BLANKS!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9043627].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author misterme
            Don't know if it's a science per se, but the word "guesses" is a pretty general word. Entrepreneurs don't merely "guess" - they make decisions based on educated, informed, experienced and honed opinions. They don't guess as in will it come up red or black, because that's gambling. Instead they figure the terrain,they figure the factors, they figure the odds and act where the odds are in their favor.

            Then they learn from doing it. They learn from their failures and successes. And then they figure out what they need to do to push through and get to the desired outcome because most things simply don't work great right out of the gate.

            So what I takeaway from it is, they don't guess. They do it.
            Signature
            "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9043802].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TheBigBee
              Originally Posted by misterme View Post

              Don't know if it's a science per se, but the word "guesses" is a pretty general word. Entrepreneurs don't merely "guess" - they make decisions based on educated, informed, experienced and honed opinions. They don't guess as in will it come up red or black, because that's gambling. Instead they figure the terrain,they figure the factors, they figure the odds and act where the odds are in their favor.

              Then they learn from doing it. They learn from their failures and successes. And then they figure out what they need to do to push through and get to the desired outcome because most things simply don't work great right out of the gate.

              So what I takeaway from it is, they don't guess. They do it.
              The operative word was test against guesses. I made assumption earlier this year. A guess. I "guessed" that my idea had merit. So I made a post. Pitched the idea. Then a landing page to test if I could get customers to buy into my value prop.

              Anyway today what started as a guess that i had finally found a solution to cure some real pain has yielded the best work of my life. In less than 96 hours we will have shipped software to heal pain in a multi billion market - with a total market opportunity of $462 billion.

              The best guess we made in all this was that our story was marketable. Special moment coming for us as we are so lucky to be able to share our story on a targeted platform that gets 20 million monthly unique views either this afternoon - or Monday morning.

              I started with a guess and iterated on that guess, guessed more, failed at some tests but were able to remove risk from this venture through and through.

              I am so lucky because.
              1. I wasn't active on forums until I found WF and it all started with a post.
              2. Didn't know what a landing page was until WF and I used that as the first means to validate my hypothesis.
              3. I sucked at copywriting. I learn and actively practice here.
              4. Was mortified of WP till I found this place - our first site was WP.
              5. Learning to outsource changed my life.
              6. Our email game / timing sequence can be credited to iamnameless and his thoughts on precision timing in email.
              7. shout out to Claude, ross, doud, kanigan, digichik, xponentsys, golfer

              This place is pretty cool.
              Signature
              FILL IN THE BLANKS!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9043871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joecarson1
    Ron!!!!! I am still laughing at the pic.

    You are 100% correct the best Direct Mail Campaign yesterday-today-forever is run by the IRS!!!!!!!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9041948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonwebb
    billionaires read mail?? who wouuld have guessed it??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9048724].message }}

Trending Topics