First Major Offline Client - Resources for Proposals/Contracts?

27 replies
I am looking for some sample proposals or contracts I can easily edit for each client. I am taking on my first big client since I started freelancing and I want to make sure I do it all correctly and legally to cover myself and to make sure I get paid.

What do you guys use as a resource for proposals, contracts, pricing, examples, etc?

I am very excited to finally be taking on a big project like this after struggling to find offline work for months.

Thanks!
#client #major #offline #proposals or contracts #resources
  • I don't have much of the resources I had a long time ago, but if you use the search function, and maybe even in the War Room, you'll find a ton of different contracts and stuff like that to help you.

    You can also try just making your own contract. As long as it looks legit with every ounce of legal info added (like when you get paid and stuff) that's all you need. Best of luck. I still remember when I got my first big client. He turned into a client I still guide every now and then after nearly 2 years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9079243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
    Move along. Nothing to see here.
    Signature

    grrr...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9080890].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author V12
    I invested in this a few days ago:

    SEO Business Kits | Business Kits for SEO Professionals

    Not cheap but I'm very happy with it - already saved me a lot of time by using the SEO Proposal template. The kit has everything you could possibly need for an SEO business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9080911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author digichik
    The following is a pretty good product you may want to check out, it offer many of the document templates you may need for your business. I'm not an affiliate, I just think it's a pretty good and affordable Biz Kit.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...-off-here.html
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9081852].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Range
    Promoting your own WSO is not helpful.
    Signature
    JoshRange.com
    E-Commerce, Web Design, & Mobile Website Services
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9087049].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author V12
      Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

      Promoting your own WSO is not helpful.
      So who's promoting their own WSO?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9087505].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Josh Range
        Originally Posted by V12 View Post

        So who's promoting their own WSO?
        The "SEO Startup Kit" is nothing more than a glorified landing page selling free crap.
        Signature
        JoshRange.com
        E-Commerce, Web Design, & Mobile Website Services
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9087856].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author V12
          Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

          The "SEO Startup Kit" is nothing more than a glorified landing page selling free crap.
          If you say so. Thanks for making me aware of that. I found the kit to be a huge time-saver.

          BTW, I don't appreciate the insinuation that it's my WSO. I've never run a WSO.

          Take that chip off your shoulder buddy.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9087874].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AussieT
      Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

      Promoting your own WSO is not helpful.
      I think you jumped the gun here Josh

      If he was promoting his own WSO (which I hasten to add, he is not) it would have been against the forum rules. You can only promote your own products in your signature

      I think he was trying to be helpful and even if you did not find it helpful others may.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9088231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
    A bunch of people contribute to this thread, offering advice and resources and all you can muster up is whining about a link to a WSO, that you incorrectly assumed was self-promotion? Nice.
    Signature

    grrr...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9088508].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Josh Range
      Originally Posted by FormerWageSlave View Post

      A bunch of people contribute to this thread, offering advice and resources and all you can muster up is whining about a link to a WSO, that you incorrectly assumed was self-promotion? Nice.
      Even if it's not self-promotion it's not helpful at all, the last thing I was asking for was some spammy sales page selling a service you can find for free anywhere else. They're making money off the links either way.

      Wanna pay me $50 to explain it to you more? Click here to buy now!
      Signature
      JoshRange.com
      E-Commerce, Web Design, & Mobile Website Services
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089740].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        So instead of doing some of your own research online you came here and asked people for resources etc. and when people posted some stuff you get your panties in a wad and insult them.

        Jeez!

        If you don't find the answers your looking for here on the forum it's up to you to look elsewhere and not insult those who replied to your thread.

        Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

        Even if it's not self-promotion it's not helpful at all, the last thing I was asking for was some spammy sales page selling a service you can find for free anywhere else. They're making money off the links either way.

        Wanna pay me $50 to explain it to you more? Click here to buy now!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089814].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Josh Range
          Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

          So instead of doing some of your own research online you came here and asked people for resources etc. and when people posted some stuff you get your panties in a wad and insult them.

          Jeez!

          If you don't find the answers your looking for here on the forum it's up to you to look elsewhere and not insult those who replied to your thread.
          I didn't insult anyone, simply stated that I don't need people trying to sell me something when asking for resources. I guess people are just a little too uptight, or haven't had their morning coffee yet.
          Signature
          JoshRange.com
          E-Commerce, Web Design, & Mobile Website Services
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089826].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
            So as long as your perspective is that you didn't insult any one it doesn't matter what others think i guess. OK no problem, totally get that.

            Question:
            How is it that you have a nice looking site in preparation for getting clients but didn't take the time to get the appropriate contractual agreements in place "BEFORE" getting a client?

            I know! It's called the path of least resistance! :p

            Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

            I didn't insult anyone, simply stated that I don't need people trying to sell me something when asking for resources. I guess people are just a little too uptight, or haven't had their morning coffee yet.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089895].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Josh Range
              Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

              So as long as your perspective is that you didn't insult any one it doesn't matter what others think i guess. OK no problem, totally get that.

              Question:
              How is it that you have a nice looking site in preparation for getting clients but didn't take the time to get the appropriate contractual agreements in place "BEFORE" getting a client?

              I know! It's called the path of least resistance! :p
              If anyone feels insulted that's their own issue, people are really taking this out of context and assuming the worst.

              The samples/proposals/contracts I have used in the past are all self-made, I was looking for (free) resources for more professional and legal contracts to ensure both parties are covered for work/payment. Since this client is looking at a $5k-$10k website I needed something a little more solid. I already found what I needed last week after posting this thanks to some helpful PM's I received.

              I did search around on Google but I figured why not ask on a forum dedicated to internet marketing about what resources you guys like best. Sure I can find some on my own, but I do value opinions of others (when they're not trying to sell me something).
              Signature
              JoshRange.com
              E-Commerce, Web Design, & Mobile Website Services
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9090008].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author digichik
                Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

                If anyone feels insulted that's their own issue, people are really taking this out of context and assuming the worst.

                The samples/proposals/contracts I have used in the past are all self-made, I was looking for (free) resources for more professional and legal contracts to ensure both parties are covered for work/payment. Since this client is looking at a $5k-$10k website I needed something a little more solid. I already found what I needed last week after posting this thanks to some helpful PM's I received.

                I did search around on Google but I figured why not ask on a forum dedicated to internet marketing about what resources you guys like best. Sure I can find some on my own, but I do value opinions of others (when they're not trying to sell me something).

                It's customary, in life and on WF, to thank those who took time out of their day to help you, whether you end up using the information or not. I don't see one single thank you, from you, to anyone.

                People around here are generous with help and tips, that would otherwise cost you thousands, but they also have long memories when it comes to rude takers.

                I sure hope you don't keep this bad habit, of feeling entitled and that it's okay for you to be rude. Your business may suffer for it, in ways you can't even begin to imagine right now. Karma really can be a B****.

                Besides, this place is way more fun and profitable when the energy is positive.
                Signature



                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9090560].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Josh Range
                  Originally Posted by digichik View Post

                  It's customary, in life and on WF, to thank those who took time out of their day to help you, whether you end up using the information or not. I don't see one single thank you, from you, to anyone.

                  People around here are generous with help and tips, that would otherwise cost you thousands, but they also have long memories when it comes to rude takers.

                  I sure hope you don't keep this bad habit, of feeling entitled and that it's okay for you to be rude. Your business may suffer for it, in ways you can't even begin to imagine right now. Karma really can be a B****.

                  Besides, this place is way more fun and profitable when the energy is positive.
                  Who do you feel deserves a "thanks" in this thread? The only actual resources posted were affiliate products.

                  Why would I thank someone who had no intention of providing insight but was only focused on a sale?

                  Maybe I am missing the logic here, but if you read through the posts you'll see that no real help was ever provided. Even if the links were not self-promotion the only 2 links were not really helpful at all.
                  Signature
                  JoshRange.com
                  E-Commerce, Web Design, & Mobile Website Services
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9090713].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
                    Are you just obtuse or what dude.

                    Not a single affiliate link was posted here, it's an offense that gets users banned from the forum.

                    Keep looking the gift horse in the mouth and you won't last long around here unless you don't care either way.

                    Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

                    Who do you feel deserves a "thanks" in this thread? The only actual resources posted were affiliate products.

                    Why would I thank someone who had no intention of providing insight but was only focused on a sale?

                    Maybe I am missing the logic here, but if you read through the posts you'll see that no real help was ever provided. Even if the links were not self-promotion the only 2 links were not really helpful at all.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9090753].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
                      Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

                      I am looking for some sample proposals or contracts I can easily edit for each client.
                      Okay, so...

                      Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post

                      So is this of any use for you?

                      Sample Contracts • Contract Templates
                      I don't own it, I'm English and this is American if that makes you feel better

                      Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

                      The only actual resources posted were affiliate products.

                      Why would I thank someone who had no intention of providing insight but was only focused on a sale?

                      Maybe I am missing the logic here, but if you read through the posts you'll see that no real help was ever provided. Even if the links were not self-promotion the only 2 links were not really helpful at all.
                      Well you sell websites and this is on the link.

                      Contract Website Design Agreement

                      So not sure what the problem is?

                      Edit it and if you wish run it through a lawyer for a nominal fee as they don't need to write one from scratch for you.

                      Dan
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9091020].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author azTechnique
                        Go to your local library. It's the best free option I always use. In books published by NOLO.com, they have sample contracts and sometimes they have the CD so you can easily download and edit. Research which one of their books or related books meets your needs then reserve it at the library.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9091247].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
        Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

        Even if it's not self-promotion it's not helpful at all, the last thing I was asking for was some spammy sales page selling a service you can find for free anywhere else. They're making money off the links either way.

        Wanna pay me $50 to explain it to you more? Click here to buy now!
        Josh,

        People get banned if they post affiliate links.

        Awfully unkind of you to make assumptions and doubt
        the character of people trying to help you with your problem.

        Separate the wheat from the chaff - in your opinion - on your own time.

        Study the WF rules a bit more before you cast dispersions.

        Good luck to you in your new business venture.

        Dan
        Signature

        "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089845].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author V12
    Originally Posted by Josh Range View Post

    What do you guys use as a resource for proposals, contracts, pricing, examples, etc?
    That's your question right there.

    I gave an honest answer.

    I'm outta here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089756].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Josh Range
      Originally Posted by V12 View Post

      That's your question right there.

      I gave an honest answer.

      I'm outta here.
      Resources like Freelancers Union would have been much better examples. Some members are helpful, others just wanna make a dime.
      Signature
      JoshRange.com
      E-Commerce, Web Design, & Mobile Website Services
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DomSpero
    What type of consulting business do you have?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9092457].message }}

Trending Topics