Yet I've found that many times the real problems that hurting businesses face have nothing to do with lack of marketing, sales, etc. Of course they may need to improve in those areas but they aren't the keys to the decline.
Building a new website, setting up a social media campaign, giving them a mobile site, starting them with email, etc. may actually do more harm than good or at least not solve the core issues and without solving the core issues they are still going to be doomed.
They may be having trouble because of things such as:
- Too much debt (increasing income through marketing so debt can be paid off may require more debt which may not solve anything)
- Customer service issues
- Production issues (their basic processes for product/service fulfillment are flawed)
- Flawed leadership/management
- Quality issues (product or service isn't up to par)
- Inept employees that could care less
- Lack of cash flow (couldn't afford to do marketing or anything else even if it could save them)
- Ignorant/Incompetent business owners
- Supplier issues
- Too much business
- Profit margins non-existent