What I finally did is use some mind-mapping software to map out my direction. I created two pages. One with my weaknesses, and how they manifested. One with my stengths and how they manifest. For instance I'm really bad at following up, and really bad about doing 90% of a project but never finishing that last 10%(i.e. really pissing off clients). My strengths are I'm a natural leader, very creative, strategic and intelligent. I love public speaking and am a natural salesperson with passion for my clients.
Then I expanded upon the weaknesses, and brainstormed how to overcome them. I thought of how much It would cost to hire someone to cover my weaknesses.
Finally I created a third mind-map that talked about what I learned from this exercise. What I came up with is most of the work that I struggled with is $8-12/hr work. With some being $20-30/hr work. Where I excelled was the $50-5,000/hr work.
That's when I built my company up, and everything changed for me. I hired project managers who could take my ideas and follow them to completion with a little guidance.
Another huge change for me was the systematization of things I did. There were things I just was neglecting that were problems in my business. So instead I found ways to systematize their completion. For instance, I wasn't always good at following up with sales leads, so we built follow up systems that more than tripled our close rates, etc. I wasn't always good at communicating effectively with clients in my herd, so I built a system to over communicate, provide extra value, while farming for upsells and crossells. it was timed to the T. And once a month we'd edit the timing of the communications to more closely align with the clients needs and desires.
So here are your questions:
1. What are your weaknesses?
2. What can you brainstorm to handle your weaknesses?
3. What would it cost per hour to hire someone to take care of the things you're not good at?
4. What are your stengths? How can you do more with your strengths?
5. What systems can you put in place to cover your weaknesses? What systems can you put in place to emphasize your strengths?
6. What would you have to do in the next 3-6 months to power through your weaknesses so that you can hire someone to cover for your weaknesses so you never have to do that stuff again?