Facebook ads - conversion objective being ignored?

10 replies
  • PPC/SEM
  • |
Hi folks,

I've run a few campaigns before without issue but am running into problems at the moment which I just can't figure out! I'm using the new Facebook pixel setup via Shopify (with their inbuilt setup).

I have two campaigns - one optimised for web conversions (initiate checkout event) and the other around lead registration (via the registration event which fires when a sign-up form widget is completed). I've tested the events via the pixel helper which is showing them firing.

Anyway - the trouble is the conversion results in Facebook are registering every conversion event as a conversion, e.g. page views etc, rather than the set objective. Even the info hover on facebook says the conversion results are based on your set objective.

Any ideas - it just looks like its optimising for the wrong conversions and the results are all skewed!

Thanks - grateful for any pointers.

Alex.
#ads #conversion #facebook #objective
  • Profile picture of the author En2Kiu
    I don't understand what's exactly your problems? do you meet problems with your current account or something else? Did you try on another account?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10758728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dburk
    Hi Alex,

    Sounds like it may be a misconfigured Conversion Event in your Ad Set(s).
    Or, the Custom Conversion setup on your Facebook Pixel tracking code is misconfigured.

    Your post was a little confusing as you say:
    "the trouble is the conversion results in Facebook are registering every conversion event as a conversion"
    .

    Technically, that is what conversion tracking is supposed to be doing. "Every conversion event" should be counted as a conversion, right?

    You go on to say that Facebook is registering conversions from
    "page views etc, rather than the set objective."
    This statement implies that the currently applied Conversion Event for your Ad Set(s) is based on "all" pageviews, rather than a specific Thank You page URL, pointing to an improper Ad Set Conversion Event selection, or a misconfigured Custom Conversion (incorrect Rule settings).

    Here are a couple of important concepts to understand:
    1. Campaign Objective is selected at the Campaign level.
    2. Conversion Event is selected at the Ad Set level.

    So, while you may have objective "Website Conversion" selected at the campaign level, this setting does not tell Facebook what event will trigger a conversion. Conversion events are selected for each Ad Set individually.

    The conversion event must be created in Custom Conversions, and you need to insert your thank you page URL as the specific pageview to trigger a conversion event.

    Once your Custom Conversion is properly configured you can then select it as the Conversion Event for your Ad Set. Does that make sense?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10759095].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Burnet
      Originally Posted by dburk View Post

      Hi Alex,

      Sounds like it may be a misconfigured Conversion Event in your Ad Set(s).
      Or, the Custom Conversion setup on your Facebook Pixel tracking code is misconfigured.

      Your post was a little confusing as you say: .

      Technically, that is what conversion tracking is supposed to be doing. "Every conversion event" should be counted as a conversion, right?

      You go on to say that Facebook is registering conversions from This statement implies that the currently applied Conversion Event for your Ad Set(s) is based on "all" pageviews, rather than a specific Thank You page URL, pointing to an improper Ad Set Conversion Event selection, or a misconfigured Custom Conversion (incorrect Rule settings).

      Here are a couple of important concepts to understand:
      1. Campaign Objective is selected at the Campaign level.
      2. Conversion Event is selected at the Ad Set level.

      So, while you may have objective "Website Conversion" selected at the campaign level, this setting does not tell Facebook what event will trigger a conversion. Conversion events are selected for each Ad Set individually.

      The conversion event must be created in Custom Conversions, and you need to insert your thank you page URL as the specific pageview to trigger a conversion event.

      Once your Custom Conversion is properly configured you can then select it as the Conversion Event for your Ad Set. Does that make sense?

      Thanks for the kind response, much appreciated!

      Sorry, I wasn't clear! Yes, at a campaign level they are optimised for website conversions. At the ad set level they are specifically targeted towards 'initiate checkout' (standard events).

      The pixel config is via Shopify's new inbuilt setup, i.e. you can't really get it wrong and the pixel helper confirms its 'firing' the right events.

      What is confusing me is that the results for the campaign show other events (i.e. not just 'initiate checkout') as a conversion, e.g. a pageview.

      My expectations was (and it used to be this way before the new pixel, at least when I ran campaigns previously) that if I set up an ad set to target a specific conversion event (e.g. initiate checkout), only those would count as a conversion in the results.

      Does that make more sense?

      Thanks again for your help.

      Alex.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10759766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dburk
    Hi Alex,

    From my experience tracking conversions based on events can be a little tricking to configure because you have to make sure the conversion tag fires only under the proper event. While it might seem straight forward, the event listener must be configured based on a unique event firing, or it will generate a lot of false positives.

    It could be that Shopify's new "inbuilt setup" feature has not been properly configured to prevent false positive event tracking. This is a common issue because event triggers may be present on multiple pages, and while the event fires only when it should, the event tracking code fires on every pageview where the event code is included.

    For example, if you have the tracking code setup to fire on a button click, and have multiple buttons present on the same page you may trigger the conversion tracking tag to fire on every button click, or on any button click on any page that has the same button code. There is usually additional configuration required to prevent the wrong button from firing the conversion tag.

    I would report it to Shopify as a bug
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10759827].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Burnet
      Originally Posted by dburk View Post

      Hi Alex,

      From my experience tracking conversions based on events can be a little tricking to configure because you have to make sure the conversion tag fires only under the proper event. While it might seem straight forward, the event listener must be configured based on a unique event firing, or it will generate a lot of false positives.

      It could be that Shopify's new "inbuilt setup" feature has not been properly configured to prevent false positive event tracking. This is a common issue because event triggers may be present on multiple pages, and while the event fires only when it should, the event tracking code fires on every pageview where the event code is included.

      For example, if you have the tracking code setup to fire on a button click, and have multiple buttons present on the same page you may trigger the conversion tracking tag to fire on every button click, or on any button click on any page that has the same button code. There is usually additional configuration required to prevent the wrong button from firing the conversion tag.

      I would report it to Shopify as a bug
      Thanks - could well be a Shopify bug, which leaves me a little stuck if it is! having said that, there is only one checkout to initiate which is partly why I used that event.

      Confusingly, for the campaign that has the initiate checkout event its showing none of those (which is correct) in the first day's results, and lots of other 'conversions' under the results, e.g. pageviews etc. which is why I'm thinking its a Facebook issue, i.e. not clear why an ad set that has a conversion (initiate checkout) events set as its objective is counting pageviews as a conversion in the results.

      All a bit inaccurate at this stage to spend $5k or more a month, that's the issue I have....

      Thanks for your input, I'll certainly raise it with Shopify too...

      Alex.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10759951].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Burnet
    Thought I'd attach a few images to illustrate what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

    The first shows the adset objective (initiate checkout) which is the same objective for all ad sets within that campaign. The second shows the results (i.e. other 'non-objective' conversions registered in the results), and the third shows the reporting customisation which also suggests the results showing should be based on the set objective.

    Hope that helps explain what I'm trying to understand....?

    Attachment 24189

    Attachment 24190

    Attachment 24191
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10762312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OOA
      Hi Alex,

      The screen captures are not clear but if you would like to see your initiate checkout results, or any specific results, you should select them when you're customizing your columns. i.e. you should do select the below if you want to see your initiate checkout results.

      edit: I posted a picture but it didn't work, sorry. Basically you should select:
      Initiate checkout (facebook pixel)
      cost per initiate checkout (facebook pixel)
      initiate checkout conversion value (facebook pixel) optional of course


      The results column on Facebook will aggregate all results, pageviews, checkouts, leads...
      Not the same as the old conversion pixel

      All the best!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10766540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author accountforrent
    This Issue just can use the alternative acc and all problems will be done
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10768846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author steve1401
    Hi Alex,

    Did you ever resolve this? I'm having a similar (same) issue. Basically, when I look at my Facebook Ads manager, it shows my Website Coversion pixel firing for every page interaction, not just a 'true' conversion. So for example, if someone clicks my facebook ad, they're directed to a product landing page and they leave - this logs as a conversion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10795317].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Burnet
      Originally Posted by steve1401 View Post

      Hi Alex,

      Did you ever resolve this? I'm having a similar (same) issue. Basically, when I look at my Facebook Ads manager, it shows my Website Coversion pixel firing for every page interaction, not just a 'true' conversion. So for example, if someone clicks my facebook ad, they're directed to a product landing page and they leave - this logs as a conversion.
      Not really - basically the reporting is a little more complex and you have to go and alter the reporting views to show specific conversions. I think with the new pixel reporting on more conversion types by default its of course become more complex than ever!

      Its confusing as the reporting on conversions in the ad manager specifically says 'based on your ad objective' which is what threw me, because is isnt...

      So can't really help you I'm afraid!

      Alex.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10796130].message }}

Trending Topics