Optimizine Large AdWords Campaign: dynamic landing page

9 replies
  • PPC/SEM
  • |
One of my campaigns has 14200 keywords.

Negative keywords suck because there's always some idiot costing us money for an unrelated search. So we use SKWAG ... And we use single landing pages to earn the highest relevance score for each kW.

Each page is static. So we had to make 14200 landing pages.

Do you use dynamic landing pages?
What's your load time? I'd like to compare. What do you do?
#adwords #campaign #dynamic #landing #large #optimizine #page
  • I use dynamic landing pages for a ton of keywords :

    Load time is the same for any other page. But still, in my experience, the CTR and having the keyword somewhere in the ad matter much more than the keyword on the landing page.

    And I have to plead ignorance, what is SKWAG? I spend more time on negative keywords than I do expanding additional keywords.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10777181].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sparkah
      Originally Posted by randomsoftwaregroup View Post

      I use dynamic landing pages for a ton of keywords :

      Load time is the same for any other page. But still, in my experience, the CTR and having the keyword somewhere in the ad matter much more than the keyword on the landing page.

      And I have to plead ignorance, what is SKWAG? I spend more time on negative keywords than I do expanding additional keywords.
      Oh. Sorry. Skwag is single keyword ad group.

      The problem is that dynamic landing pages should technically be slower to load than static because it makes a page after seeing the URL parameters.

      If this is true, then AdWords will charge you more for the same page.
      Signature

      I'm a writer for Forbes and Fast Company.
      Also, I did this: My deepest darkest SEO SECRETS --- https://youtu.be/vl3tswPLJWM

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10777260].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dburk
        Originally Posted by sparkah View Post

        Oh. Sorry. Skwag is single keyword ad group.
        Hi sparkah,

        There are usually called SKAGs not Skwag. That might be what is throwing some people off.

        Originally Posted by sparkah View Post

        The problem is that dynamic landing pages should technically be slower to load than static because it makes a page after seeing the URL parameters.

        If this is true, then AdWords will charge you more for the same page.
        Fortunately, that is not true.

        There is no penalty for using dynamic landing pages. There is absolutely no reason that you should expect a dynamic landing page to load noticeably slower. The scripting for loading a few lines of text is not likely to exceed a few milliseconds unless it is poorly implemented.

        Even if it took more than a second to load the dynamic portion, it still will not effect the quality score unless your LP is loading so slow that people are bouncing before the page loads.

        The positive effects of Dynamic Landing Pages, when done properly, will have far more positive effects than the minute time it takes to dynamically read and output dynamic text.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10777383].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sparkah
          Originally Posted by dburk View Post

          Hi sparkah,

          There are usually called SKAGs not Skwag. That might be what is throwing some people off.



          Fortunately, that is not true.

          There is no penalty for using dynamic landing pages. There is absolutely no reason that you should expect a dynamic landing page to load noticeably slower. The scripting for loading a few lines of text is not likely to exceed a few milliseconds unless it is poorly implemented.

          Even if it took more than a second to load the dynamic portion, it still will not effect the quality score unless your LP is loading so slow that people are bouncing before the page loads.

          The positive effects of Dynamic Landing Pages, when done properly, will have far more positive effects than the minute time it takes to dynamically read and output dynamic text.
          Thanks DBurk!

          I got a email back from unbounce.com

          They make more dynamic landing pages than anybody I know.

          And you 100% right about the speed. There's only a few milliseconds delay.

          But.

          My problem is that Google said that a few milliseconds delay might reduce kw score. That means kw cost goes up.

          I wouldn't knit pic so much but with 30,000 key words, one notch in score makes a huge ROI difference.

          So what I have to do is go back and try a month long side by side test.

          Ugh.

          Ugh.
          Signature

          I'm a writer for Forbes and Fast Company.
          Also, I did this: My deepest darkest SEO SECRETS --- https://youtu.be/vl3tswPLJWM

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10778965].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author dburk
            Originally Posted by sparkah View Post

            Thanks DBurk!

            I got a email back from unbounce.com

            They make more dynamic landing pages than anybody I know.

            And you 100% right about the speed. There's only a few milliseconds delay.

            But.

            My problem is that Google said that a few milliseconds delay might reduce kw score. That means kw cost goes up.

            I wouldn't knit pic so much but with 30,000 key words, one notch in score makes a huge ROI difference.

            So what I have to do is go back and try a month long side by side test.

            Ugh.

            Ugh.
            Google has never said a few milliseconds delay in page load speed would reduce your Quality Score. Only that if your page loads so slowly that it causes people to leave your website then it may effect your Ad Rank. A few milliseconds, on it's own will not do that, you have to have other issues that are significant enough to cause a noticeable and onerous delay in page load speed. If that's the case you are better off looking at the true cause of that delay, it isn't likely to be he few milliseconds that your dynamic page content is adding.

            Your landing page loading time

            If it takes too long for your website to load when someone clicks on your ad, they're more likely to give up and leave your website. This unwelcome behaviour can signal to Google that your landing page experience is poor, which could negatively impact your Ad Rank. That's why you want to make sure that your landing page load time is up to speed.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10779314].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sparkah
              Originally Posted by dburk View Post

              Google has never said a few milliseconds delay in page load speed would reduce your Quality Score. Only that if your page loads so slowly that it causes people to leave your website then it effect your Ad Rank. A few milliseconds, on it' own will not do that, you have to have other issues that are significant enough to cause a noticeable and onerous delay in page load speed. If that's the case you are better off looking at the true cause of that delay, it isn't likely to be he few milliseconds that your dynamic page content is adding.
              Hmmm... I totally hope you're right.

              I think I remember distinctly reading from Google webmaster site that milliseconds make a rank different.

              I'll look it up.

              But if you're right, you saved me a lot of trouble. Thanks!
              Signature

              I'm a writer for Forbes and Fast Company.
              Also, I did this: My deepest darkest SEO SECRETS --- https://youtu.be/vl3tswPLJWM

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10779354].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sparkah
              DBurk... You know your stuff... Read a bunch more Google pages and this ... By kissmetrics https://blog.kissmetrics.com/speed-is-a-killer/

              Looks like a few ms won't make any difference. At least not to google. Thx
              Signature

              I'm a writer for Forbes and Fast Company.
              Also, I did this: My deepest darkest SEO SECRETS --- https://youtu.be/vl3tswPLJWM

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10779373].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tommytx
        Originally Posted by sparkah View Post

        Oh. Sorry. Skwag is single keyword ad group.

        The problem is that dynamic landing pages should technically be slower to load than static because it makes a page after seeing the URL parameters.

        If this is true, then AdWords will charge you more for the same page.
        That is the silliest thing I ever heard a dynamic page is slower that a normal page...yes it is for milliscond timers.. but who the hell cares if a standard page takes 1.05 seconds and a dynamic page take 1.08 seconds are you kidding me... I can scan thru 10,000 keywords pick the right one and build hte page in a 1/4 second or less.. hell that is nothing compared to the 200k pages that load from wordpress.. so the delay in managing a dynamic page is miniscule.. time it yourself..
        Signature

        Free Pay Per Click Services http://www.52payperclick.com We all know FREE usually means scam or bait and switch.. so to settle that question check out my I love me wall at http://www.52payperclick.com/tom/attaboy.htm to see what all the folks say about my free services.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10786821].message }}
  • I can't see that millisecond load time hurting your QS. Worst case you optimize images better on your LP if loading is really an issue which I doubt it is.

    I use DKI along with my static landing pages to insert keywords onto the page most in Bingads but have done it in Adwords on the search side.

    Over the past 2 years I stopped injecting DKI onto the landing pages because I found through testing it did not matter.

    I focus on Adcopy and CTR. Those two things alone can get you that 10 QS. Ladning page should be relevant but that is about all it needs to be in my experience.
    Signature

    Digital Marketing Training and live digital marketing hangouts every Wednesday at 2PM CST. Only at MarketingPlaybook.co

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10779749].message }}

Trending Topics