I am starting on a project to transform freelancing sites into something, well .. that isn't broken. I know a lot of you might have had some experience as either the buyer or the seller, whether its as a programmer, designer, small site owner etc ...
Here are my thoughts:
1) Hard to "win" bids as a freelancer, language barriers, differences in economies etc
2) Buyers don't post enough information to complete the project, so it is hard to give a decent pricing for the job on something like "I need an eCommerce website" without a lot more information
3) Designers need programmers and vice versa, perhaps both need a project manager for larger projects. (A competent one)
4) Jobs get sub-contracted to oblivion - Person 'A' who is good at writing winning proposals gets the bid, but is not a programmer or designer, reposts the project at a lower amount and collects the difference - assuming the project completes at all. This is horrible for the buyer for a multitude of reasons.
5) Large projects are hard to manage "solo"
Would love to hear more of your thoughts about freelancing, I am trying to be open to a lot of suggestions, "it would be so much better ifs.." - and/or feature requests.
Thanks in advance for your time...