How To Stop Search Engines Following Links?

9 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi

Does any one know how to stop Google from following a link on a homepage of a website. Its a download link. so its http://xxxxxxxxx.com/download.php.

The download.php file contains the affiliate ID path for the software download.

I don't want my homepage to pass any link juice to the merchant site. I can nofollow but is there any way to stop it completely from following the link?
#engines #links #search #stop
  • Profile picture of the author ezeonlinebiz
    Use the nofollow tag. For example: <a href = "http://xxxxxxxxx.com/download.php" rel = "nofollow">Anchor Text</a>
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964386].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Magaver90
      Originally Posted by ezeonlinebiz View Post

      Use the nofollow tag. For example: <a href = "http://xxxxxxxxx.com/download.php" rel = "nofollow">Anchor Text</a>
      Thanks, I'll just nofollow the link. I don't think there is a way to stop Google from completely crawling the link.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964425].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Links with the nofollow attribute are crawled and they still bleed out PR from that page. It is just not passed on.

        What you want to do is put the link inside of an iframe. That will keep it from being crawled and passing on or bleeding out any PR.
        Signature
        Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
        Delivered to you each week!

        >>> Sign Up Now <<<
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964477].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author halk
    You need to Google not index this link also?

    Originally Posted by stv105 View Post

    Hi

    Does any one know how to stop Google from following a link on a homepage of a website. Its a download link. so its http://xxxxxxxxx.com/download.php.

    The download.php file contains the affiliate ID path for the software download.

    I don't want my homepage to pass any link juice to the merchant site. I can nofollow but is there any way to stop it completely from following the link?
    Signature
    Unlimited Bing Ads $50 Coupon Method Only $10

    Skype: luiz.domains
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author halk
    Signature
    Unlimited Bing Ads $50 Coupon Method Only $10

    Skype: luiz.domains
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rmacklyn
    Yes No follow tag is the only option to prevent google indexing a link in your website or any web page. I was too confused in certain aspect when I wanted a link not to be followed by google. Then someone from my company suggested me for the same.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964635].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by rmacklyn View Post

      Yes No follow tag is the only option to prevent google indexing a link in your website or any web page. I was too confused in certain aspect when I wanted a link not to be followed by google. Then someone from my company suggested me for the same.

      That is not what nofollow does.
      Signature
      Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
      Delivered to you each week!

      >>> Sign Up Now <<<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964655].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drBo
    add <meta name="robots" content="noindex"> to download.php
    Signature
    Otr.to - 100% secure browser-based p2p chat
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by drBo View Post

      add <meta name="robots" content="noindex"> to download.php
      That will not do what he wants to do.
      Signature
      Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
      Delivered to you each week!

      >>> Sign Up Now <<<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9964750].message }}

Trending Topics