Need advice for proper on-page local SEO - Contractor website pages

by Murkr 9 replies
Hey guys, I'm new here and learning a lot, I feel so blessed that I've found this great community you've all created.

I got a question about on page SEO. Long story short i have to completely start our company's website all over. I'm not a webmaster, but fairly good with computers and learning so i told my boss i can handle it

Details:
We are a roofing company and trying to get to the #1 spot when searching for (roofer + surrounding city's) keywords. or the words vise-versa (surrounding city's + roofer) "not sure if that matters"

Services offered:
repairs
re roofing
hail damage

Roofing Materials offered:
Shingles
Tiles
Metal

types:
residential
commercial

servicing area:
5 different surrounding areas


Since im starting from the beginning, how do you think i should structure the site "page creation" to best optimize for LOCAL seo. for example:
when creating the site in wordpress, I'm having a hard time deciding what the drop down menus should be.

besides the normal home,about us, blog, contact, im thinking this drop down menu structure:
Residential
-repairs
-re roofing
-hail damage
Commercial
-repairs
-re roofing
-hail damage
Servicing Areas
5 pages on the different targeted surrounding areas

Like i said though, i am new to SEO and trying my best to take everything in, I will also be trying to set up a silo from within the pages so they all link together, i just havent had an idea how to do that yet either haha.

So any advice on how to structure my pages will be so very helpful. I just graduated from USF and this is my first job out in the real world so I'm trying very hard to prove myself.

Thanks everyone.
#search engine optimization #advice #contractor #local #onpage #pages #proper #seo #website
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author kavyasharma561
    I believe that the search engines can possibly identify. That is why it is very advisable to have a unique and less used keywords for your website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10090539].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by kavyasharma561 View Post

      I believe that the search engines can possibly identify. That is why it is very advisable to have a unique and less used keywords for your website.
      What you just said makes absolutely no sense at all.
      Signature
      SEO Myths
      SEO, PPC, Geo-Fencing, and Social Media Marketing Services - Get a Free Quote
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10091144].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jdias
        Re: Need advice for proper on-page local SEO - Contractor website pages
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by kavyasharma561
        I believe that the search engines can possibly identify. That is why it is very advisable to have a unique and less used keywords for your website.

        What you just said makes absolutely no sense at all.
        You need to learn love the indians here. Even tough 80% of what they write is crap. You're not getting rid of them.

        ...and it's perfectly understandable - just inglish and probably better than my dano-english.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10091163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Murkr
    my question was more towards page structure than keyword research
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10091094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author princy91
    Firstly you need to do proper keyword research for the keywords you want to target.There are many keyword research tools but the google keyword planner is the best to analyze the searches and the competition for a keyword.Select a keyword which has maximum amount of searches per month and which has less competition.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10091102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    put the words
    roofing
    roofer

    in Google's keyword planner and see what keywords it brings up.

    They'll be sorted by relevancy. You can sort them by volume.

    Donwload, look at them, figure out which ones match what you guys sell.

    I'd create several landing pages for
    roofing or roofer (depending which one appeals more to your audience; Google webmaster tools will give you an idea).

    So, main city + roofer
    suburb 1 + roofer
    suburb 2 + roofer

    Bear in mind that you need to avoid identical content.

    Then
    main city + keyword 2
    suburb 1 + keyword 2

    Google will tell you that there's no traffic for most suburbs/small cities. Not true. If the main city + roofer has 300 searches, a suburb with 25k population will have some 10-40 searches (my experience, my niches, which doesn't include roofing). If the population is 60k, then 30-60.

    Go to Google's webmaster tools and see what keywords people have found you by (it shows the last 2 months).

    It will show you how many impressions and how many clicks you got.

    Decide which ones you like.

    Use in landing pages.

    So, it's best if you go for something like Las Vegas roofing contractor as your main keyword, because you are, at the same time, going for Las Vegas roofing.

    Don't make everything about roofing.

    I know more about home remodeling than roofing, so I'll use an example from there.

    I'd have the main page be home remodeling. Then I'd have basement remodeling, bath remodeling, kitchen remodeling pages (and those would be keywords I'd go for).

    I'd have roof repair and landscaping pages and room additions and basement finishing and porch repair.

    As you may have noticed, I'd be telling Google in many ways that the site is about remodeling a house.

    You could, of course, have
    main city + commercial roofing
    main city + residential roofing


    Originally Posted by Murkr View Post

    Hey guys, I'm new here and learning a lot, I feel so blessed that I've found this great community you've all created.

    I got a question about on page SEO. Long story short i have to completely start our company's website all over. I'm not a webmaster, but fairly good with computers and learning so i told my boss i can handle it

    Details:
    We are a roofing company and trying to get to the #1 spot when searching for (roofer + surrounding city's) keywords. or the words vise-versa (surrounding city's + roofer) "not sure if that matters"

    Services offered:
    repairs
    re roofing
    hail damage

    Roofing Materials offered:
    Shingles
    Tiles
    Metal

    types:
    residential
    commercial

    servicing area:
    5 different surrounding areas


    Since im starting from the beginning, how do you think i should structure the site "page creation" to best optimize for LOCAL seo. for example:
    when creating the site in wordpress, I'm having a hard time deciding what the drop down menus should be.

    besides the normal home,about us, blog, contact, im thinking this drop down menu structure:
    Residential
    -repairs
    -re roofing
    -hail damage
    Commercial
    -repairs
    -re roofing
    -hail damage
    Servicing Areas
    5 pages on the different targeted surrounding areas

    Like i said though, i am new to SEO and trying my best to take everything in, I will also be trying to set up a silo from within the pages so they all link together, i just havent had an idea how to do that yet either haha.

    So any advice on how to structure my pages will be so very helpful. I just graduated from USF and this is my first job out in the real world so I'm trying very hard to prove myself.

    Thanks everyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10091339].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Murkr
      Originally Posted by DABK View Post

      put the words roofing roofer
      in Google's keyword planner and see what keywords it brings up...
      WONDERFUL! Thank you DABK This is the kind of response i was looking for, page structure help. Since im starting all over and never had access to the original site "long story" I couldnt look at WMT to see where my traffic has been coming from.

      I was going to buy the program Market Samurai to do keyword research, do you prefer Google's keyword planner over that?

      Let's use for example Las Vegas NV like you were, and lets add the surrounding cities which are Paradise and Sunrise Manor: I plan to focus on these cities (but in my area) + roofing and roofer. So these combinations:
      Las Vegas + roofer
      Las Vegas + roofing
      Paradise + roofer
      Paradise + roofing
      Sunrise Manor + roofer
      Sunrise Manor + roofing

      I know those will be the highest traffic and i want to go for those first "if thats what's best?", i will then focus on the areas around me that have the highest traffic but least competition.

      n00b Question #1: Do I need to create a bunch of pages to rank for each of those 6 keywords above? for example:
      one page for Las Vegas + roofer
      one page for Las Vegas + roofing
      one page for Paradise + roofer
      one page for Paradise + roofing
      one page for Sunrise Manor + roofer
      one page for Sunrise Manor + roofing


      if that’s the case I will need to create sooo many pages. Because I also would like to rank for longer tail keywords with some of the services we do such as re roofing, repairs, and storm damage. So then for example would I also need to create these pages?:
      Las Vegas + Re roofing
      Las Vegas + Repairs
      Las Vegas + storm damage
      Paradise + Re roofing
      Paradise + Repairs
      Paradise + storm damage
      Sunrise Manor + Re roofing
      Sunrise Manor + Repairs
      Sunrise Manor + storm damage

      And finally, We offer 3 different types of roofs to choose from, Shingle, Flat, and Metal, so will I need to create all these pages as well?:
      Las Vegas + Shingle roof
      Las Vegas + Flat roof
      Las Vegas + Metal roof
      Paradise + Shingle roof
      Paradise + Flat roof
      Paradise + Metal roof
      Sunrise Manor + Shingle roof
      Sunrise Manor + Flat roof
      Sunrise Manor + Metal roof

      Those are the exact keywords I want to rank for “but with my cities”.
      Basically, what im mainly asking is do I need to create separate pages to rank each set of keywords? Or do I accomplish that task by creating blog posts within the site using each keyword set above? Or can I use multiple keywords per page? for example create a (servicing area) drop down menu and have the city "Las Vegas" as the header and have content describing "roofer + roofing + reroofing + repairs + storm damage + shingle + flat + metal"

      that will drop that amount of pages i have to create by a lot, but im guessing google wont like that huh.. lol. Im sorry I have so many questions, iv read SEO materials for 30+ hours but still feel like I need to learn a lot more.

      I want my website to rank for all those keywords, but I don’t want to confuse viewers with pages that will be almost the same with just keyword differences “of course I wouldn’t use the same context” but it would be really hard to write 3 pages of shingle roofing for each different city targeted. And those are just 3 cities, my boss wants me to do SEO for like 5-6 surrounding cities, but im going to start with 2 or 3.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10092150].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DABK
        You could have a page for Las Vegas roofer, where you describe what you offer. That page could rank for Las Vegas roofing and you could also have a post (or another page) for Las Vegas roofing.

        On that page, you'd also be using:
        Las Vegas + Shingle roof
        Las Vegas + Flat roof
        Las Vegas + Metal roof

        (or, at least, single roof, flat roof, metal roof, and roof repairs and storm damage, and fascia and gutters (if you do those too, which, I imagine you do).

        And you'd have pages for Las Vegas Shingle Roof.

        And, no, you don't have to have the same thing... A bit of creativity and you don't have duplicate content.

        Market Samurai is not that good of a tool... All the competition data it tells you, useless...
        You could look at it all day long for 17 years and you would not be able to tell why one site is #1 and another is #4.

        It does give you the accurate position of sites in Google, and it lets you sort keywords by number of words in keywords. It tells you accurately if a page has the keyword in title, in url, etc. (on-page optimization).

        But you need some other tool to search backlinks... I use, and like, majestic seo.


        Originally Posted by Murkr View Post

        WONDERFUL! Thank you DABK This is the kind of response i was looking for, page structure help. Since im starting all over and never had access to the original site "long story" I couldnt look at WMT to see where my traffic has been coming from.

        I was going to buy the program Market Samurai to do keyword research, do you prefer Google's keyword planner over that?

        Let's use for example Las Vegas NV like you were, and lets add the surrounding cities which are Paradise and Sunrise Manor: I plan to focus on these cities (but in my area) + roofing and roofer. So these combinations:
        Las Vegas + roofer
        Las Vegas + roofing
        Paradise + roofer
        Paradise + roofing
        Sunrise Manor + roofer
        Sunrise Manor + roofing

        I know those will be the highest traffic and i want to go for those first "if thats what's best?", i will then focus on the areas around me that have the highest traffic but least competition.

        n00b Question #1: Do I need to create a bunch of pages to rank for each of those 6 keywords above? for example:
        one page for Las Vegas + roofer
        one page for Las Vegas + roofing
        one page for Paradise + roofer
        one page for Paradise + roofing
        one page for Sunrise Manor + roofer
        one page for Sunrise Manor + roofing


        if that’s the case I will need to create sooo many pages. Because I also would like to rank for longer tail keywords with some of the services we do such as re roofing, repairs, and storm damage. So then for example would I also need to create these pages?:
        Las Vegas + Re roofing
        Las Vegas + Repairs
        Las Vegas + storm damage
        Paradise + Re roofing
        Paradise + Repairs
        Paradise + storm damage
        Sunrise Manor + Re roofing
        Sunrise Manor + Repairs
        Sunrise Manor + storm damage

        And finally, We offer 3 different types of roofs to choose from, Shingle, Flat, and Metal, so will I need to create all these pages as well?:
        Las Vegas + Shingle roof
        Las Vegas + Flat roof
        Las Vegas + Metal roof
        Paradise + Shingle roof
        Paradise + Flat roof
        Paradise + Metal roof
        Sunrise Manor + Shingle roof
        Sunrise Manor + Flat roof
        Sunrise Manor + Metal roof

        Those are the exact keywords I want to rank for “but with my cities”.
        Basically it looks like what im mainly asking is do I need to create pages for each set of keywords. Or do I accomplish that task by creating blog posts within the site using each keyword set above? Or can I use multiple keywords per page? Or will google not like that. Im sorry I have so many questions, iv read SEO materials for 30+ hours but still feel like I need to learn a lot more.

        I want my website to rank for all those keywords, but I don’t want to confuse viewers with pages that will be almost the same with just keyword differences “of course I wouldn’t use the same context” but it would be really hard to write 3 pages of shingle roofing for each different city targeted. And those are just 3 cities, my boss wants me to do SEO for like 5-6 surrounding cities, but im going to start with 2 or 3.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10092169].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Murkr
          Originally Posted by DABK View Post

          You could have a page for Las Vegas roofer, where you describe what you offer. That page could rank for Las Vegas roofing and you could also have a post (or another page) for Las Vegas roofing.

          On that page, you'd also be using:
          Las Vegas + Shingle roof
          Las Vegas + Flat roof...
          yeah im using ahrefs for competition backlink analysis ect.. thats more like off page SEO, i want to focus on on-page SEO right now since im creating the website from scratch.

          im not going to lie i kind of dont understand your post.

          so id create a servicing area drop down menu with my targeted cities, then lets say on the Las Vegas page have the header tag be Las Vegas with content describing everything on that one page that we do, (IE: shingle roof + flat roof + metal roof + roof repairs + storm damage). and then when someone types in Las Vegas +shingle roof or Las Vegas + roof repair, in google, they will be brought to this same Las Vegas service area page? is that what will happen? or is this considered to dense of keywords by plugins such as SEO by yoast?

          I also didnt understand your first paragragh, can you dumb it down a bit How can the "Las Vegas roofer" page rank for "Las Vegas roofing"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10092216].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics